Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
the mapmaker

Japanese and English design of Kairi's letter

Hi guys. I live in Kawasaki and speak / read Japanese. I recently looked up Kairi's letter in Japanese and can say it's every bit as beautiful as the English version. I wanted to hang it on my wall, so I did a little something in Illustrator for kicks. For those of you who like words, poetry, and minimalism, this is for you. Hope you like it!

~mM

I'll include both jpg and png

UPDATE:

Here's the direct translation of the letter, as I promised below. It sounds kinda wonky because Japanese doesn't really translate directly to anything but Japanese, but trust me when I say it's really beautiful. This is the best i could do to bridge the gap. Honestly the English localization they did for the game does a fine job of getting the message across, and is a beautiful piece in its own right.

DIRECT JAPANESE TRANSLATION:

To the you, off somewhere in this world...

So that our every sorrow disappears, and

So that all of our hearts may connect, and

For the sake of realizing our dreams that we cannot reach by wishing alone,

I think that it's time to step forth

The start of a new journey may actually be a surprisingly simple affair

And perhaps that journey has already begun

In every world connected by this one sky,

The place to which we all arrive through great struggle,

I do believe

is the same.

Translator's Note: 

When Kairi narrates this at the end, and the full contents of the letter and the context are revealed, there is some significance to her use of the word "sky" which can only be picked up in the original Japanese version. Remember that when she wrote that letter, nobody remembered Sora due to the massive memory collapse as the result of his time in Castle Oblivion. But since the word "sky" in Japanese is "sora" (空), it' implied that weaving this into her letter may have then and there jogged her memory of him, before it were to even naturally return.

post-50176-0-86432200-1454739302_thumb.jpg

post-50176-0-00837600-1454739447_thumb.png

Edited by the mapmaker

@Aqua7KH post away my friend! Would be an honor!

Thanks for the comments guys! For kicks i will do a directtranslation of the japanese into english. It sounds a bit wonky when directly translated, but strangely beautiful. I love the themes of Kingdom Hearts cause I live so far from my family but have also made lots of new friends here. Different worlds, same sky.

これから宜しくね!