Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Spencer Ellis Norman

Kingdom Hearts 2's controls are terrible

Huge KH fan here, Kingdom crown tatted on wrist and all, picked up KH1 around the time KH2 came out, fell in love then bought KH2.Loved it. That was in 2007 maybe, though the game has numerous high points and positives, its control system can easily work against you in many ways.Owning both of the ReMIXs ive decided to replay BBS first because of its higher graphics and textures, loved it. BBS imho redefined the fighting system into something incredible with its command deck. Short, simple, straight to the point. Eliminate the clutter and create a deck built for success.Most people dont like the command deck, to each his own. Switching back to KH2s slow, clunky menu and movements just drive me up the wall sometime.Never realized how hard it could be to try to watch out for enemies and fully navigate a menu for a Hi-Potion until now. Worst part is that you have to either hold down L2 and use the right stick or just use the right stick and not have control over your camera depending on the control scheme you use.Though i know it came out after KH2 and there was time to improve on the system, BBS's menu navigation was assigned to the L2 and R2 buttons which freed up the control stick for camera movements.Alongside that, it didnt make you wait 30 damn seconds every time you healed yourself for you to use another spell. Thats incredibly inconvenient to me.Idk why i feel this way, but i alway lean towards command decks because it lets you customize what spells and moves YOU want and use the most.With KH3 returning to the classic menu, i pray that it doesnt get riddled with terrible menu controls and has some way to perform moves such as Strike or Wind raid on the fly and numerous other moves that may have been impossible to pull off in KH2 due to its menu system.Maybe some sort of hybrid between the classic menu and the command deck like Nomura said would be in A Fragmentary Passage, just kind of worried for the future of KH controls seeing as it evolved so much with BBS and Dream Drop.What do you guys think? Though KH2 will probably forever have a special place in my heart seeing as its a childhood staple of mine, the controls throw me off and often frustrate me now. But itll probably be KH to the gravestone for me regardless lol.

Edited by Spencer Ellis Norman

What are you talking about with the command menu? What's this "having to use L2 and the right stick" thing? I always just used the D-pad. I had not idea that was even an option. Granted the second menu option was a little odd and a bit annoying if you accidentally switched to it mid battle, but I never found it slow or clunky. I will agree that waiting for MP charge after you Cure was annoying since it took all your MP and you would most likely need another spell in the wait time, but it just teaches you to learn when to cure. I'm not knocking the BBS command menu, I think it's well done, but I would NOT say or agree that KH2 has the worst controls. In my opinion, it's THE best control scheme of all the games. BUt to each their own.

But seriously, could you elaborate on the L2 thing? I have NO idea what you're talking about.

I actually liked the KH2 controls better. They had a wider variety in my opinion and was actually a bit more fun to use.

BBS controls were great too but I always felt, I don't know, freeer when I played in KH2. I could do a lot of things with only 2 menus. And I'm glad that this will be returning in KH3.

What are you talking about with the command menu? What's this "having to use L2 and the right stick" thing? I always just used the D-pad. I had not idea that was even an option. Granted the second menu option was a little odd and a bit annoying if you accidentally switched to it mid battle, but I never found it slow or clunky. I will agree that waiting for MP charge after you Cure was annoying since it took all your MP and you would most likely need another spell in the wait time, but it just teaches you to learn when to cure. I'm not knocking the BBS command menu, I think it's well done, but I would NOT say or agree that KH2 has the worst controls. In my opinion, it's THE best control scheme of all the games. BUt to each their own.

But seriously, could you elaborate on the L2 thing? I have NO idea what you're talking about.well i know its implemented on the ReMIXs for sure, maybe not the original. And i try not to use the D-Pad because i use my left thumb for it and it takes away from my movement, but if you hold down the L2 button you can use the Right stick to navigate the menu, you could also change it to where you could just use the right stick for the menu by default and then click the L2+Right stick to move the camera freely.

Edited by Spencer Ellis Norman

Um, you DO realize that you can just navigate the command menu using the DIRECTIONAL BUTTONS, right? Because that's how most people use them, I don't know about this "hold L2 and right analog stick" method you're talking about. Maybe you've been using the secondary control style by accident this whole time and never knew it? Because really, I've never really come across anyone having this kind of problem before, you're a personal first for me. I mean, if you prefer particular gameplay styles over others, than that's fine, to each his own, but to write off a whole game's navigation controls without having explored further just feels a bit too dismissive or short-sided if you ask me. I'm not trying to call you stupid or anything, but I would suggest that you take a close look at your control set up and try using the directional buttons the next time your play KH2, because really, I've never heard anyone complain about this before.

Edited by Hero of Light XIV

I actually liked the KH2 controls better. They had a wider variety in my opinion and was actually a bit more fun to use.BBS controls were great too but I always felt, I don't know, freeer when I played in KH2. I could do a lot of things with only 2 menus. And I'm glad that this will be returning in KH3.

I never got what people meant when they said its a wider variety from the KH2 menu, could you elaborate for me?

I never got what people meant when they said its a wider variety from the KH2 menu, could you elaborate for me?

Personally, I feel more in control of my movements when my attacks aren't dictated by what are generally one-hit commands that you can't really use in quick succession (and for me, oftentimes miss the target completely) and I can simply equip which attacks I want from the menu and let the combo play out on its own, ending whenever I want it to.

Plus, I always feel like the Command Deck is a mess of spells and attacks that have no place being side-by-side. I'm much more comfortable scrolling down (or holding L1) to shortcut to magic abilities and leave my attacks in the Attack bar, along with the occasional Reaction Command. With the Command Deck, though you can reorganize them so they fit better, it's annoying and too much of a change for me to have to scroll through the entire Deck just to find 'Cure'. 

The only thing I agree on is that it's kind of dumb to have Cure in KHII be a spell that drains all of your Magic but on the flipside, you also have Drive Forms, so there's that. Ultimately, I grew up on the traditional command system and the Command Deck feels restrictive comparatively to me, personally. It's manageable, but with BBS and even DDD, I feel more than ever like I just want to get the gameplay sections over with. The problem was compounded upon when BBS and DDD were portable-exclusive but thankfully that much is being fixed.

Edited by Kaweebo

Adding abilities into your combos in order to deal a wide range of attacks in both ground and aerial combos, being able to use whichever magic you want whenever you want, and by costumizing it, you use magic most useful in a certain boss a lot faster.Items can also be costumized. It may be slow but if you add your items correctlt it can be a lifesaver.Drives could easily be accessed and you had a whole new fighting style to use plus you could always use Summons and Limits whenever you wanted.Healing is not a major problem in FM because you can always switch to Drive Form and revert in order to recover it. So if managed correctly, you almost never run out of magic.So yeah, a wide variety.In BBS your regular combo was a series of plain Keyblade strikes and I barely found myself using it because of commands, while in KH2 you could add so many things into a single combo, be it launch someone into the air, switchig to another form, doing a limit, dealing magic and finishing in an epic way, assuming the eneny stays staggered for that long.So, more variety than spamming the Commands in the menu of BBS.

KH2 has got the shortcut menu so you don't have to scroll down the menu.

As many people have said, you get to choose what attack you use on a combo, which gives you a wider variety. Also, you can combine attacks with spells in your combo and do wonderful combos (for exaple: the attack that aproaches the enemy + Firaga + this spiral move added in FM + vertical slash that throws the enemy into the air (square button in mid combo) + Magnet + This shockwave attack when you press square at the end of the combo + start an aerial combo).

Also, you've got the drive forms, that give you an even bigger variety of combos, having impressive keyblade attacks (except for Wisdom Form) and magical attacks (except for Valor Form).

Then, you've got limits that make you invencible and create a great number of attacks. Although they're not very strong (except for Sora's solo one, Donald's ones, Goffy's ones and a few more), they are very cool.

Summons are alright (Peter Pan's is really good).

The healing spell draining all of your MP isn't that bad in my opinion; your MP bar fills quite quickly and you have the Drive Form and the items to aid you.

Edit: I forgot to say something that I find important... THIS GAME IS DUBBED INTO MANY LANGAUGES IN THE EUROPEAN VERSION!!!!

(I like the Spanish voices in Kingdom Hearts, but quite a few others prefare them in English, even though they're Spanish and don't know English)

Personally, I feel more in control of my movements when my attacks aren't dictated by what are generally one-hit commands that you can't really use in quick succession (and for me, oftentimes miss the target completely) and I can simply equip which attacks I want from the menu and let the combo play out on its own, ending whenever I want it to.

Plus, I always feel like the Command Deck is a mess of spells and attacks that have no place being side-by-side. I'm much more comfortable scrolling down (or holding L1) to shortcut to magic abilities and leave my attacks in the Attack bar, along with the occasional Reaction Command. With the Command Deck, though you can reorganize them so they fit better, it's annoying and too much of a change for me to have to scroll through the entire Deck just to find 'Cure'. 

The only thing I agree on is that it's kind of dumb to have Cure in KHII be a spell that drains all of your Magic but on the flipside, you also have Drive Forms, so there's that. Ultimately, I grew up on the traditional command system and the Command Deck feels restrictive comparatively to me, personally. It's manageable, but with BBS and even DDD, I feel more than ever like I just want to get the gameplay sections over with. The problem was compounded upon when BBS and DDD were portable-exclusive but thankfully that much is being fixed.

I've always put Cure on the shortcut command, so I can press the side directional button (I think it was the left one) and it'll take me to it immediatly.

Edited by Xamtehwt Trece

Kingdom Hearts 2 from a mechanical and technical standpoint is by far the strongest of this series (edit: in my opinion xD). Have you tried those data battles in KH2FM? They push game mechanics to the max. And I'm talking about Proud, don't even get me started on Critical.The command deck, well, you said it yourself. It is simple. The mechanics in KH2 are are far more complex and difficult to master. It really tests your skill.Command decks were great for what they are, but they are so limiting. It was horrible in Dream Drop Distance because I wasn't even using the attack button.MP Charge is annoying, but from a game mechanic point of view, I think it works. You can't spam Cure so it encourages you to not get hit. Which if you master, you won't even need to use potions and Cure xDI guess accessing different things is frustrating at times because you need to scroll, but that is fixed to an extent with abilities such as Auto Drive/Summon/Limit.

Edited by Pokemoncuzzie

Here's an easy way to figure out controls:PRESS TRIANGLE TO WIN(This is a joke.)

oh this isn't in the random section? huh.

i never had any issues with the KH2 controls. you can use the D-Pad to navigate the menus or just use the Shortcuts menu which makes things easier. The BBS command deck works in a similar fashion because to navigate the deck in BBS and the menus in KH2 you have to use the D-Pad. So there shouldn't be any issues at all. 

As for the magic recharging, I'm pretty sure commands in BBS have to recharge and just like in KH2, you can unlock abilities to make recharge times faster so what's the problem? You're not gonna get fast charging from the get go or else you'd be OP. 

I also don't see an issue with enemies in KH2. You just have to be quick when going through the menus or use shortcuts. The shortcut menu is there for a reason. 

Honestly the command deck is a bit too simple and easy to use. It's probably a worse offender of the "Press Triangle to Win" issue than KH2 considering all your powerful attacks come from the command deck. KH2's combat allows more room for strategy, even if it's only really needed on Critical Mode or a self-imposed challenge. 

in conclusion i know it's your opinion but i think your opinion is wrong

Um, you DO realize that you can just navigate the command menu using the DIRECTIONAL BUTTONS, right? Because that's how most people use them, I don't know about this "hold L2 and right analog stick" method you're talking about. Maybe you've been using the secondary control style by accident this whole time and never knew it? Because really, I've never really come across anyone having this kind of problem before, you're a personal first for me. I mean, if you prefer particular gameplay styles over others, than that's fine, to each his own, but to write off a whole game's navigation controls without having explored further just feels a bit too dismissive or short-sided if you ask me. I'm not trying to call you stupid or anything, but I would suggest that you take a close look at your control set up and try using the directional buttons the next time your play KH2, because really, I've never heard anyone complain about this before.

How do you navigate with directional buttons and keep movement at the same time, as stated ive played this game since 2007, im very aware of its different control schemes.I just personally think assigning menu navigation to the shoulder buttons, freeing up your thumbs for camera and movement would be more beneficial.

oh this isn't in the random section? huh.

i never had any issues with the KH2 controls. you can use the D-Pad to navigate the menus or just use the Shortcuts menu which makes things easier. The BBS command deck works in a similar fashion because to navigate the deck in BBS and the menus in KH2 you have to use the D-Pad. So there shouldn't be any issues at all. 

As for the magic recharging, I'm pretty sure commands in BBS have to recharge and just like in KH2, you can unlock abilities to make recharge times faster so what's the problem? You're not gonna get fast charging from the get go or else you'd be OP. 

I also don't see an issue with enemies in KH2. You just have to be quick when going through the menus or use shortcuts. The shortcut menu is there for a reason. 

Honestly the command deck is a bit too simple and easy to use. It's probably a worse offender of the "Press Triangle to Win" issue than KH2 considering all your powerful attacks come from the command deck. KH2's combat allows more room for strategy, even if it's only really needed on Critical Mode or a self-imposed challenge. 

in conclusion i know it's your opinion but i think your opinion is wrong

Nahbro, i use shoulder buttons to navigate BBS menu, using the D-Pad at the same time as the left control stick is difficult at times, and can opinions be wrong seeing as theyre opinions? lol

Kingdom Hearts 2 from a mechanical and technical standpoint is by far the strongest of this series (edit: in my opinion xD). Have you tried those data battles in KH2FM? They push game mechanics to the max. And I'm talking about Proud, don't even get me started on Critical.The command deck, well, you said it yourself. It is simple. The mechanics in KH2 are are far more complex and difficult to master. It really tests your skill.Command decks were great for what they are, but they are so limiting. It was horrible in Dream Drop Distance because I wasn't even using the attack button.MP Charge is annoying, but from a game mechanic point of view, I think it works. You can't spam Cure so it encourages you to not get hit. Which if you master, you won't even need to use potions and Cure xDI guess accessing different things is frustrating at times because you need to scroll, but that is fixed to an extent with abilities such as Auto Drive/Summon/Limit.

Youre right, sometimes those damn Auto-Limits come out of nowhere and i use it by accident lol.Another problem ive run into is playing on Pride Rock and using a shortcut then trying to press square to dash right afterwards. but instead of dashing i end up using my square shortcut by accident, which in turn uses MORE MP than i intended and im still moving slowly, i imagine it translates with quick run too tho i could be wrong.

Dont get me wrong guys, I LOVE KH2, still probably the best KH game in the series to me. I guess the controls are kind of slipping me up a little bit, but thats why i like coming to talk to you guys to give me pointers and your personal opinions ans stuff.I guess if scrolling up and down were left to L2 and R2 it wouldnt be that big of a deal, just wanted to see everyones personal preference

KH2 has got the shortcut menu so you don't have to scroll down the menu.

As many people have said, you get to choose what attack you use on a combo, which gives you a wider variety. Also, you can combine attacks with spells in your combo and do wonderful combos (for exaple: the attack that aproaches the enemy + Firaga + this spiral move added in FM + vertical slash that throws the enemy into the air (square button in mid combo) + Magnet + This shockwave attack when you press square at the end of the combo + start an aerial combo).

Also, you've got the drive forms, that give you an even bigger variety of combos, having impressive keyblade attacks (except for Wisdom Form) and magical attacks (except for Valor Form).

Then, you've got limits that make you invencible and create a great number of attacks. Although they're not very strong (except for Sora's solo one, Donald's ones, Goffy's ones and a few more), they are very cool.

Summons are alright (Peter Pan's is really good).

The healing spell draining all of your MP isn't that bad in my opinion; your MP bar fills quite quickly and you have the Drive Form and the items to aid you.

Edit: I forgot to say something that I find important... THIS GAME IS DUBBED INTO MANY LANGAUGES IN THE EUROPEAN VERSION!!!!

(I like the Spanish voices in Kingdom Hearts, but quite a few others prefare them in English, even though they're Spanish and don't know English)

I've always put Cure on the shortcut command, so I can press the side directional button (I think it was the left one) and it'll take me to it immediatly.

I just wish there were more shortcut slots lol, and do any of you guys not equip all of your attack abilities? Ive never really got into customizing it that way, i usually just equip all the attack abilities i acquire.

How do you navigate with directional buttons and keep movement at the same time, as stated ive played this game since 2007, im very aware of its different control schemes.I just personally think assigning menu navigation to the shoulder buttons, freeing up your thumbs for camera and movement would be more beneficial.

Nahbro, i use shoulder buttons to navigate BBS menu, using the D-Pad at the same time as the left control stick is difficult at times, and can opinions be wrong seeing as theyre opinions? lol

Youre right, sometimes those damn Auto-Limits come out of nowhere and i use it by accident lol.Another problem ive run into is playing on Pride Rock and using a shortcut then trying to press square to dash right afterwards. but instead of dashing i end up using my square shortcut by accident, which in turn uses MORE MP than i intended and im still moving slowly, i imagine it translates with quick run too tho i could be wrong.

Dont get me wrong guys, I LOVE KH2, still probably the best KH game in the series to me. I guess the controls are kind of slipping me up a little bit, but thats why i like coming to talk to you guys to give me pointers and your personal opinions ans stuff.I guess if scrolling up and down were left to L2 and R2 it wouldnt be that big of a deal, just wanted to see everyones personal preference

I just wish there were more shortcut slots lol, and do any of you guys not equip all of your attack abilities? Ive never really got into customizing it that way, i usually just equip all the attack abilities i acquire.

You can't have more shortcut slots because there isn't enough buttons xD. Also, I do equip all of the attack abilities (or at least, as many as I can), but if you press square in middle of a combo, it changes, and not only that, you've also got magic to combo with and Drive Forms that change the combo completely; so the combo does change quite a bit in some circunstances.

How do you navigate with directional buttons and keep movement at the same time, as stated ive played this game since 2007, im very aware of its different control schemes. 

While stopping movement to get something out of the menu may not be preferable to you, it's honestly not bad. If you're quick enough, you can get to a potion or your preferred spell and easily and start moving again in LESS than 30 seconds. And with shortcuts, you don't even really have to navigate the menu. If you want a Drive form, you just press up and it takes you to the bottom of the menu, pick your form and bam. Same with Limits on the second menu. I would seriously consider trying to get a hang of the directional buttons, it makes it SO much easier. And I'm not just knocking your playstyle. I used to navigate KH1's menu with the right analog stick until I got a hang of the directional buttons. Best decision ever. The analog sticks are not solid enough to use for menu navigation. Seriously, give the directional buttons a try and you might change you're outlook on the game.

While stopping movement to get something out of the menu may not be preferable to you, it's honestly not bad. If you're quick enough, you can get to a potion or your preferred spell and easily and start moving again in LESS than 30 seconds. And with shortcuts, you don't even really have to navigate the menu. If you want a Drive form, you just press up and it takes you to the bottom of the menu, pick your form and bam. Same with Limits on the second menu. I would seriously consider trying to get a hang of the directional buttons, it makes it SO much easier. And I'm not just knocking your playstyle. I used to navigate KH1's menu with the right analog stick until I got a hang of the directional buttons. Best decision ever. The analog sticks are not solid enough to use for menu navigation. Seriously, give the directional buttons a try and you might change you're outlook on the game.

i feel you on that, the right stick sometimes flicks back up after i try to scroll down, i wish the Dpad was on the other side of the controller sometimes but ill give it a try my man

You're probably not moving your thumb around that much. It's meant to be easy to move between the left analog stick (moving) and the directional buttons on the same side. A lot of times I find that if I need to move and navigate at the same time I tend to use my index finger to use the directional buttons while my thumb remains on the left stick. Meanwhile my right thumb is on the right stick and I can quickly move it between shape buttons easily with little delay. Whenever I need to use the shoulder buttons my default position tends to have my index and middle fingers on them in descending order. The trick here is that my fingers typically aren't "stuck" anywhere on the controller (except for maybe my thumbs staying on the analog sticks. The key to being a good gamer at any game is being able to quickly move your fingers from one set of buttons and controls to another in a quick amount of time. It's not necessarily something you can be taught, it's just something that you pick up on and improve on your own. You seem to be trying to play in a pretty static style if you don't mind me saying. Of course the controls are going to upset you if you're trying to stay fixed in a position that works with minimal effort, the gameplay is so rapid and diverse that you won't have time to execute the various complicated commands you need to do while keeping your fingers directly where they are. That works for some games with simpler controls, like say classic Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Mario, where all you need are directional buttons or an analog stick for running and at least one button for jumping, and a pause button. Kingdom Hearts is NOT meant to be played that way, even the original game had a lot of complex controls that required precise timing and finger movement. KH2 isn't all that different, you just have a few more options. I'm telling you, it can be done, and it doesn't even feel like you're going out of your way to make anything work. It's just a matter of adapting and changing how you approach using your controller and playing games in general. And again, I'm still a bit unsure of exactly what you are describing. It might be asking a lot, but if you could ever do something like post a video of you in front of your TV trying to execute the controls for KH2 while it plays in the background, I might have a better idea of what your problem is and could probably give you advice that makes more sense. But like I said, a lot of people really love KH2's style and find it to be the most versatile gameplay style of the series, so this is a pretty uncommon problem I've ever heard of.

That I agree with. Pride Rock has the worst controls in any KH game for me. I really don't like how Lion Sora controls.

Shortcuts make this really easy for the Magic/Items you constantly use. As for actually navigating with the D-Pad, it's really easy to get used to, I've started clawing it with my left index finger and you get used to it after awhile.

Just because opinions can't be wrong, per say, doesn't mean they can't be criticized. It's honestly quite easy to get used to KH2's Command Menu, though it is barely more difficult than BBS's Command Deck.

On another note, when you title your Thread "Kingdom Hearts 2's controls are terrible", I would think you'd expect a few people to disagree with and criticize your opinion.

NEVER equip Dodge Slash. I de-equip Upper Slash after awhile, but most every other attack modifier stays on.

I also don't have any trouble with command deck in Kingdom Hearts II, moreover I have to say that the controls in Kingdom Hearts II are the best and easier for me. After I have read your problem and replies from several members, my conclusion is maybe you still don't get used with Kingdom Hearts II command deck. I know some parts like in Pride Lands and Atlantica will be different case, but once you get used to it, you'll enjoy it. I agree with some members said that you should try to use shortcut, it'll make it easier, for example if you want to do heal or maybe restore MP.

I know you love KH2, but for the command deck, I think you should need to get used to it. Maybe you can play it once again if you have free time. I believe, once you get used to it, you'll feel it! Don't give up!

Edited by Felicia Novita