Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sora96

Konami to develop AAA console Metal Gear Solid without Kojima, more Silent Hill & Castlevania too

I disagree. Tai Yasue and Rie Nishi are placed to take over fine.Castlevania is a much better comparison.

I guess. I never played any of the Castlevania games nor do I know anything about it in that sense.

Konami is the most bipolar company I have ever seen.  They really just need to get out of the game and let the Phantom Pain be their swan song, because I do not know many people who intended to support them past the Phantom Pain.  I will be curious to see what they do with the Metal Gear franchise though.

Honestly, you'd have a better time making Metal Gear pachinko machines.

I disagree. Tai Yasue and Rie Nishi are placed to take over fine.

I tremendously disagree here. Nomura is the heart of the KH franchise. Yasue and Nishi may have love for KH, but it is Nomura's baby and has been for over a decade. There's no one who can effectively take his place and continue to spin this web of his correctly. Yasue and Nishi do a lot, but it's Nomura's vision.

I wouldn't go so far as to compare Nomura to Kojima (After all, Kojima plants actual important themes into his games such as anti-war and nuclear deterrence 'n stuff whereas Nomura likes more to have you look at the philosophy and characters of his series in specific) but as far as being the heads of the franchises go, neither series will or would ever be the same and I don't think it would be a wholly positive change.

Edited by Kaweebo

MGS without Kojima is not a good sign, but I'm sticking with Metal Gear. I can't abandon it now... I'm just happy to hear there is a future for the series!

Yeah but, he is the writer for it. I don't see where would Konami take the story. Oh well, to me anything after MGSV isn't going to be canon.

@Kaweebo: It's funny because they are friends irl. I wonder if they share ideas about their individual stories.

Edited by Sorarocks93

What exactly is Nomura's job when making the KH games? Aside from story and art.

He only does the base story. Directing of course.

Honestly, you'd have a better time making Metal Gear pachinko machines.

I tremendously disagree here. Nomura is the heart of the KH franchise. Yasue and Nishi may have love for KH, but it is Nomura's baby and has been for over a decade. There's no one who can effectively take his place and continue to spin this web of his correctly. Yasue and Nishi do a lot, but it's Nomura's vision.

I wouldn't go so far as to compare Nomura to Kojima (After all, Kojima plants actual important themes into his games such as anti-war and nuclear deterrence 'n stuff whereas Nomura likes more to have you look at the philosophy and characters of his series in specific) but as far as being the heads of the franchises go, neither series will or would ever be the same and I don't think it would be a wholly positive change.

It's Yasue's too. He's been in charge of game design and has been co-director of the series since Re:CoM.

He only does the base story. Directing of course.

It's Yasue's too. He's been in charge of game design and has been co-director of the series since Re:CoM.

But Nomura spearheaded and created it, almost single-handedly. He's the one who has 'the ending in his head'. Without Nomura, there is no Kingdom Hearts; in my eyes, at least.

If, in the future, after Nomura's run of KH is finished and the story he wants to tell is done, I'd have no problem if Yasue picked it up from there. (Maybe with a new protagonist, even) since I have no doubt Disney will try to milk it dry once it's finished. It wouldn't be the same, but it'd at least be happening at a time when Nomura's done with the franchise, whenever that ends up happening. 

Edited by Kaweebo

But Nomura spearheaded and created it, almost single-handedly. He's the one who has 'the ending in his head'. Without Nomura, there is no Kingdom Hearts; in my eyes, at least.

If, in the future, after Nomura's run of KH is finished and the story he wants to tell is done, I'd have no problem if Yasue picked it up from there. (Maybe with a new protagonist, even) since I have no doubt Disney will try to milk it dry once it's finished. It wouldn't be the same, but it'd at least be happening at a time when Nomura's done with the franchise, whenever that ends up happening. 

Not true. Shinji Hashimoto is co-creator of KH. And there's two people most KH fans have probably never heard of that without them the series might not have occurred: Hironobu Sakaguchi & Yoshinori Kitase.

Not true. Shinji Hashimoto is co-creator of KH. And there's two people most KH fans have probably never heard of that without them the series might not have occurred: Hironobu Sakaguchi & Yoshinori Kitase.

Don't forget about the elevator itself. 

Yeah but, he is the writer for it. I don't see where would Konami take the story. Oh well, to me anything after MGSV isn't going to be canon.

@Kaweebo: It's funny because they are friends irl. I wonder if they share ideas about their individual stories.

Hey, I just hope it has a few more cutscenes than V did.

If Final Fantasy can do well without Sakaguchi so can Kingdom Hearts.

They've decided mobile is the future of gaming (which, I kinda get, and with the amount of money they put into MGSV I understand not wanting to make a new AAA game soon like).  Though I'm sure a number of MGS fans would be happy Konami couldn't drag MGS through the mud then without Kojima directing (cough like Universal studios with Crash and Spryo after the original developers left cough Enter the Dragon Seizure attack cough I still like Crash Tag Team Racing best though cough) 

Gotta sort that coughing

It's a bit disappointing considering as great as the gameplay in MGSV is, there's a lot of points that aren't tied up at the end (which seem like they would have been tied up nicely if it wasn't for the cut chapters), it always feels disheartening when a series is finished without closure to the open things in the story.  It's like the end of Gilmore Girls.  But would anyone really have faith in Konami giving a nice finish alone, nope.

Just realised they could probably do a fallout shelter thing with MGS for mobile.   Gotta milk those IPs even when you fired their daddy.  

Two different franchises. It's really not the same thing. All we have to do is wait and see. IF it ever happens, which I doubt considering Nomura is starting to make so many games at Square.

Two different franchises. It's really not the same thing. All we have to do is wait and see. IF it ever happens, which I doubt considering Nomura is starting to make so many games at Square.

I think it is. KH already has its successors in place like FF did.

I think it is. KH already has its successors in place like FF did.

Have they ever made a KH game without Nomura? I mean, look at Kojima's team, they've worked with him on every MGS game but when they tried to make MGS Rising they failed. They also made Portable Ops and it's the worst in the franchise.

Have they ever made a KH game without Nomura? I mean, look at Kojima's team, they've worked with him on every MGS game but when they tried to make MGS Rising they failed. They also made Portable Ops and it's the worst in the franchise.

No, but you could have said the exact same about Final Fantasy with Hironobu Sakaguchi. 

No, but you could have said the exact same about Final Fantasy with Hironobu Sakaguchi. 

But that worked. My point is, we don't know if it will work or not. It might be better, one of the best games of the decade, or it might be a total flop.

Saying that it will work just because it worked with FF doesn't really mean anything.

"---You were a “solo team” in the beginning?

Nomura:   I was a one man team for a year. (laugh) I began after FFVIII."

You can name everybody who worked on the franchise with him, you can go down the entire list of credits, but the simple fact is that Nomura made KH. He was there from the beginning and is still there, he's the one who drew up the characters, the themes. Not even Hashimoto can say that and he's been there almost as long. While we're in the middle of whatever with the direction Nomura wants to go, suddenly replacing him would be a bad, bad idea. Hashimoto writes up some story points, Sakaguchi gave some advice, and Kitase is there too, but the main guy at the top with final say is him.

All Final Fantasy requires is somebody or multiple people with an original idea to go from there. KH requires you to intimately understand the characters, what they've been through, what the world is like, the history, the motives, etc, etc. and not everybody is going to be interested or, if they are, not everybody has the same vision as Tetsuya Nomura does.

And even with FF, I still think every game (with the exception of FFIX) lacks something without Sakaguchi's involvement. That's just my opinion, though.

Edited by Kaweebo