Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Dio Brando

I don't think Haley Joel Osment is a good voice for Sora anymore....

Posted Image

Don't get me wrong his performances in KH1,KH2 and Re:Chain of Memories were fantastic and he was pretty good

But after hearing his performance in Dream Drop Distance I don't think his voice fits Sora anymore

He pretty much got older and older so his voice is bound to change I get that but that doesn't mean he should be in the same role forever and can't be replaced

His current voice for Sora sounds waaay too old and nasal for a 15 year old boy(inb4 nitpickers who'll change the topic into 15 or 16 debate) and it's just jarring to hear when I compare it to his old performances

I get it he's no longer the child actor from the sixth sense nor he's that teenager who sang some of the little Mermaid songs in KH2,but that doesn't mean he should be reused and rehashed for the role just because of his affiliation with Disney

I mean if you watched the movie Tusk(which he's a part of btw) you'll notice how old he got

Sure it would've made sense to keep him if Sora has aged physically,but so far Sora only have grown one canon year since the beginning of his adventure in KH1.

Sora needs a new voice actor that would give him a voice logical for a 15 year old to sound with

Can't Square pick up the same actress from Funimation that played Teen Gohan in DBZ,Gohan was around 15 when he fought Cell if I remember yet they didn't need a bloated grown up voice

Sure child actors aren't as plentiful as they were before,but you can also hire a female to voice a young shonen character(like Allen Walker's Japanese voice in D.Gray man or Alfonso's English voice in Full Metal Alchemist)or a teenage actor to voice him

Gohan was 9 when he killed Cell, not 15, he was 16 by the start of Buu's saga.

Gohan was 9 when he killed Cell, not 15, he was 16 by the start of Buu's saga.

No he wasn't 9 hence why he was called TEEN GOHAN!

He was around 9 when he fought Frieza though

And no he was in his 20's during the Buu saga 

Nope, he was 4 when Z begins, he tells his age to bulma and the other and put's up 4 fingers up, they made him older in the dub because he would be hit alot and they didn't want to cause a stir for having a child so young being beaten up. And why would he be in high school with 20 years?

And Teen Gohan is not an official name, they only use it for the games.

Nope, he was 4 when Z begins, he tells his age to bulma and the other and put's up 4 fingers up, they made him older in the dub because he would be hit alot and they didn't want to cause a stir for having a child so young being beaten up. And why would he be in high school with 20 years?

And Teen Gohan is not an official name, they only use it for the games.

I know it's not official but he was a teenager while fighting Cell he wasn't a child

I know it's not official but he was a teenager while fighting Cell he wasn't a child

On the manga he was 9, they changed it to 11 for the anime, it goes like this:

- He was 4 when Z began (he actually says his age on episode 2)

- Vegeta and Nappa arrive on earth one year later so he's 5.

- Frieza appears on earth 2 years later, he's 7

- 3 more years for Cell games, he's 10 (11 if you count the one year he spent on the Hyperbolic time chamber)

- 7 years pass until the Buu saga, he's 17 (18 with the HTC year)

If you don't believe go watch the series again.

Give me a reason other than oh he's the OG voice and can't be changed

'Kay. You're wrong. Compare his voice from KH2 to DDD. No difference, if not better. There is no cause to take action this extreme.

I think I'm one of the few who didn't have a problem with his voice in Dream Drop Distance. :/ I probably wouldn't complain if he got a different VA, but I'm fine with Haley. I personally think he does a really good job portraying Sora.

(Also, on the subject of 15 vs 16, Sora is canonically 15. Anyone who argues otherwise is going against canon.)

Sora's voice should stay The same. There is nothing wrong with it. What do you expect his voice to be like?  

You need to worry about Kairi's voice actor to a point. Hayden is having a baby and is working on that crap show Nashville. Alyson Stoner would take over or they could hire Laura Bailey.

'Kay. You're wrong. Compare his voice from KH2 to DDD. No difference, if not better. There is no cause to take action this extreme.

There actually is a bit of a difference if you really pay attention. 

Take this cutscene for example. Sora's voice sounds much more youthful. It's deeper than it was in KHI, but he clearly sounds like a boy. No arguments there.

Then we have current Sora's voice, six years later. His voice is clearly more masculine, deeper.

Now, I have no problem with this change and I'm, in fact, all for it. Sora's still maturing, growing. It's even been argued that Sora turns 16 during the events of Dream Drop. (hence the tea party near the end) His voice should naturally sound older. But there is a distinct difference, nonetheless. It does not bother me, but it is there. 

The only thing you really need to get past is the fact that he's in his younger body, but I always interpret that as Yen Sid's magic only changing his physical form, but not necessarily his voice. (Though, you would think that by changing his form, that would also include his vocal chords) But Sora sounded like this during Re:CoM as well, so it's not really that big a difference. I had a harder time believing Sora's balls dropped within one day in-between KHI and CoM than I do Sora's voice sounding slightly deeper in DDD, which, for all we know, takes place quite a while after KHII.

And since Haley's entered his mid-twenties now, I feel like this is the extent Sora's voice will really mature to, tbh. Unless KH continues for another twenty years or something. So, there really shouldn't be any worry for KHIII or future titles, tbh.

Edited by Kaweebo

No, canonically, Gohan was 9(technically 10) when he killed Cell according to the manga. The name "Teen Gohan" given to him is incorrect, and it's ALWAYS been incorrect. A better name would've been Pre-Teen Gohan honestly. I would go into more detail, but this isn't the thread for that. Besides, Gohan's Old VA for the original anime made him sound like he was a smoker teenager, it did not fit him well at all. I think most people will agree with me that that's the last person we need to voice Sora.

No, canonically, Gohan was 9(technically 10) when he killed Cell according to the manga. The name "Teen Gohan" given to him is incorrect, and it's ALWAYS been incorrect. A better name would've been Pre-Teen Gohan honestly. I would go into more detail, but this isn't the thread for that. Besides, Gohan's Old VA for the original anime made him sound like he was a smoker teenager, it did not fit him well at all. I think most people will agree with me that that's the last person we need to voice Sora.

Well I'm mostly following the anime canon when it comes to DBZ so I'm bound to get something wrong

My point was not a DBZ discussion I meant in terms of possible voice actors that can voice Sora

Well I'm mostly following the anime canon when it comes to DBZ so I'm bound to get something wrong

My point was not a DBZ discussion I meant in terms of possible voice actors that can voice Sora

Even by anime canon he was only 11.

Again 1I'm gonna make mistakes regarding DBZ so I'm sorry

2That's not the topic I'm talking about,I just brought an example for a voice actor that can voice Sora

No need to be sorry, just don't like it that people believe false information.

For the topic, Haley does a fine Sora, it's only weird when he voices him on the KH1 body, they should have hired a sound alike from for his KH1 body and have him voice the KH2 one.

There actually is a bit of a difference if you really pay attention. 

Take this cutscene for example. Sora's voice sounds much more youthful. It's deeper than it was in KHI, but he clearly sounds like a boy. No arguments there.

Then we have current Sora's voice, six years later. His voice is clearly more masculine, deeper.

Now, I have no problem with this change and I'm, in fact, all for it. Sora's still maturing, growing. It's even been argued that Sora turns 16 during the events of Dream Drop. (hence the tea party near the end) His voice should naturally sound older. But there is a distinct difference, nonetheless. It does not bother me, but it is there. 

The only thing you really need to get past is the fact that he's in his younger body, but I always interpret that as Yen Sid's magic only changing his physical form, but not necessarily his voice. (Though, you would think that by changing his form, that would also include his vocal chords) But Sora sounded like this during Re:CoM as well, so it's not really that big a difference. I had a harder time believing Sora's balls dropped within one day in-between KHI and CoM than I do Sora's voice sounding slightly deeper in DDD, which, for all we know, takes place quite a while after KHII.

And since Haley's entered his mid-twenties now, I feel like this is the extent Sora's voice will really mature to, tbh. Unless KH continues for another twenty years or something. So, there really shouldn't be any worry for KHIII or future titles, tbh.

I see no reason to change his VA, Not just because it's always been Haley, but also because even his 3D voice sounds appropriate for a teenager, hell there are even some 15 year olds with voices deeper then that. Besides Sora's supposed to be more mature in KHIII and a slightly deeper voice would give that impression. And If Johnny Young Bosh can voice 15/16 year olds forever...

Edited by Isamu_Kuno

Honestly, I agree. His voice has gotten so deep that when he tries to sound higher pitched, it sounds like he's having a rough time. I'm sure with practice, he might pull it off. But, his DDD performance just wasn't very natural and a lot of his lines fall flat. 

But, no matter what we think of him, we're stuck with him as Sora, whether we like it or not. 

The official art for KHIII so far shows him  a decent bit taller than he is in KHII, so he is aging, and hopefully months passed between KH3D and KHIII. It's even possible he could be 17 in III. Either way, his current voice easily suits a 17-year old Sora.