Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Dio Brando

I don't think Haley Joel Osment is a good voice for Sora anymore....

Posted Image

Don't get me wrong his performances in KH1,KH2 and Re:Chain of Memories were fantastic and he was pretty good

But after hearing his performance in Dream Drop Distance I don't think his voice fits Sora anymore

He pretty much got older and older so his voice is bound to change I get that but that doesn't mean he should be in the same role forever and can't be replaced

His current voice for Sora sounds waaay too old and nasal for a 15 year old boy(inb4 nitpickers who'll change the topic into 15 or 16 debate) and it's just jarring to hear when I compare it to his old performances

I get it he's no longer the child actor from the sixth sense nor he's that teenager who sang some of the little Mermaid songs in KH2,but that doesn't mean he should be reused and rehashed for the role just because of his affiliation with Disney

I mean if you watched the movie Tusk(which he's a part of btw) you'll notice how old he got

Sure it would've made sense to keep him if Sora has aged physically,but so far Sora only have grown one canon year since the beginning of his adventure in KH1.

Sora needs a new voice actor that would give him a voice logical for a 15 year old to sound with

Can't Square pick up the same actress from Funimation that played Teen Gohan in DBZ,Gohan was around 15 when he fought Cell if I remember yet they didn't need a bloated grown up voice

Sure child actors aren't as plentiful as they were before,but you can also hire a female to voice a young shonen character(like Allen Walker's Japanese voice in D.Gray man or Alfonso's English voice in Full Metal Alchemist)or a teenage actor to voice him

If by "voice actress who played Teen Gohan in DBZ", you mean Stephen Nadolny, and not the new voice actress in Colleen Clinkenbeard... your argument is invalid.

I didn't mean anyone specifically,I just brought an example

Just give him a voice that makes him sound like a 15 year old boy

Well, I think you're wrong.

Also HELL no don't hire the voice actress who voiced Teen Gohan in DBZ. We might as well hire the chick who voices Bart from The Simpsons in that case.

It's just an example

I didn't say bring her specifically

Again I mean someone who can actually make him SOUND LIKE 15 YEAR OLD BOY

No.

Give me a reason other than oh he's the OG voice and can't be changed

It's just an example

I didn't say bring her specifically

Again I mean someone who can actually make him SOUND LIKE 15 YEAR OLD BOY

I think he sounds fine. And changing his voice at this point would just be awkward. I'm REALLY starting to hate it now when series change their main characters' voice actors. Splinter Cell, Metal Gear, Kingdom Hearts doesn't need to do this, too. 

This wouldn't be a problem if Nomura could get over tween Sora already 

And what he said.

EDIT: Also, that picture is horrifying. I just now noticed it. 

Edited by Kaweebo

I think he sounds fine. And changing his voice at this point would just be awkward. I'm REALLY starting to hate it now when series change their main characters' voice actors. Splinter Cell, Metal Gear, Kingdom Hearts doesn't need to do this, too. 

And what he said.

EDIT: Also, that picture is horrifying. I just now noticed it. 

It wouldn't be if the new actor nailed his role right

I didn't mean Kiefer's voice for Big Boss in Ground Zeroes because it sounded like a natural progression in terms of his age heck in MGS4 Big Boss was voiced by someone else while David Hayter voiced Solid Snake so this isn't the first time Big Boss got a new voice.

And state please why KH can't do this?It really won't hurt in fact I doubt their contract with H J Osment is permanant and it's only a matter of time before Osment leave the role or decline an offer

And state please why KH can't do this?It really won't hurt in fact I doubt their contract with H J Osment is permanant and it's only a matter of time before Osment leave the role or decline an offer

I'm not saying they CAN'T. In fact, they already have. Aerith's voice actress changed, Christopher Lee opted out of voicing Ansem after 358 as well as numerous other people. But Haley Joel Osment is the friggin' main character and I think it would be a shame for him to leave now. I personally believe he can pull it off and I'm fine with his voice. You're not and that's also fine, that's your opinion. 

I also think that last statement is highly, highly subjective since, so far, Haley Joel has shown nothing but goodwill towards the series and has enthusiasm for continuing it. Honestly, the one I'm more concerned about leaving is Hayden Panettiere, who voices Kairi, because she's got her own stuff going on right now. Even then, though, she came in to do a small role voicing Xion in DDD, so who knows? 

My point is, he should voice Sora in KHIII. I'm hoping that Nomura finally moves past young Sora and focuses on aging them more because, given enough time, you will be right. Haley Joel will eventually sound too old to be voicing a 15 year old, even to me. That's why I want any game after KHIII to be set a few years after, when the characters are closer in age to the likes of Terra and Aqua but right now, he sounds fine to me. 

I'm not saying they CAN'T. In fact, they already have. Aerith's voice actress changed, Christopher Lee opted out of voicing Ansem after 358 as well as numerous other people. But Haley Joel Osment is the friggin' main character and I think it would be a shame for him to leave now. I personally believe he can pull it off and I'm fine with his voice. You're not and that's also fine, that's your opinion. 

I also think that last statement is highly, highly subjective since, so far, Haley Joel has shown nothing but goodwill towards the series and has enthusiasm for continuing it. Honestly, the one I'm more concerned about leaving is Hayden Panettiere, who voices Kairi, because she's got her own stuff going on right now. Even then, though, she came in to do a small role voicing Xion in DDD, so who knows? 

My point is, he should voice Sora in KHIII. I'm hoping that Nomura finally moves past young Sora and focuses on aging them more because, given enough time, you will be right. Haley Joel will eventually sound too old to be voicing a 15 year old, even to me. That's why I want any game after KHIII to be set a few years after, when the characters are closer in age to the likes of Terra and Aqua but right now, he sounds fine to me. 

The "goodwill" talking is for press as I doubt he's allowed to say his personal opinion if it was negative,granted he can like the role and that's fine with me as long as he improves.......but let's not forget that money talks too so if some did pursue him with a much bigger offer things might change 

Things can change too if Nomura decided to change Sora's voice like what Kojima did with Big Boss

The "goodwill" talking is for press as I doubt he's allowed to say his personal opinion if it was negative,granted he can like the role and that's fine with me as long as he improves.......but let's not forget that money talks too so if some did pursue him with a much bigger offer things might change 

Things can change too if Nomura decided to change Sora's voice like what Kojima did with Big Boss

That's neither here nor there, merely speculation. You can't presume to know a person's true feelings based upon your own opinions. Honestly, it feels more like you just don't like his voice, so you're actively searching for a reason for him to quit at this point. Despite the fact that that opinion is pretty firmly in the minority. 

Seriously, though, Haley Joel's face is creeping me out in that picture. He looks like a mafia boss.

Edited by Kaweebo

That's neither here nor there, merely speculation. You can't presume to know a person's true feelings based upon your own opinions. Honestly, it feels more like you just don't like his voice, so you're actively searching for a reason for him to quit at this point. Despite the fact that that opinion is pretty firmly in the minority. 

Seriously, though, Haley Joel's face is creeping me out in that picture. He looks like a mafia boss.

Why am I searching for a reason to hate someone,I liked the dude but I'm just a bit foo careful when it comes to liking celebrities

As for H J's face...................Lol that's exactly my thought when I saw him

They haven't since KHII, at least. And that's because they were still relatively young. (Haley and Hayden were 17-18 at that point in time) But now they're in their mid-twenties and it's starting to show. Which is why Nomura needs to progress the series rather than constantly go back. Even the Japanese VA can't keep that up forever. They need to grow up, physically, because the audience has.

And that's one thing I applaud Kojima for doing in MGS over Nomura

instead of waiting until aaaaall other stories are over,Kojima made the finale of the Metal Gear series with MGS4 THEN went back to Big Boss's storyline and made the games that will tie up loose ends within the series

Nomura should've started immediately progressing in the storyline,we should've got Dream Drop Distance much earlier same with KH 3,and those loose ends like Terra Aqua and ven or the origins of Master Xehanort could've been explained later in Birth by Sleep

Nomura should've followed Kojima's footstep here in terms of story,instead of juggling multiple storylines,finish one of them then deal with the other later

They haven't since KHII, at least. And that's because they were still relatively young. (Haley and Hayden were 17-18 at that point in time) But now they're in their mid-twenties and it's starting to show. Which is why Nomura needs to progress the series rather than constantly go back. Even the Japanese VA can't keep that up forever. They need to grow up, physically, because the audience has.

I agree. But now that I think about it, I think Haley actually did a fantastic job with Vanitas in BBS.