Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Yuya Sakaki

Religious Implications in Kingdom Hearts?

So we all know what the χ-blade looks like, right? He's a refresher in case people have forgotten:

Posted Image

Now check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keys_of_Heaven

Do you think this was an intentional implementation on Nomura's part? Was it to create some kind of symbolism? Because we are all familiar with the powers that the χ-blade holds, aren't we? I can see it bearing some similarities with what has been said in this article. Kingdom Hearts is full of light, and heaven is too. Again, did Nomura design the χ-blade specifically like this to create some meaning? I'm not Christian but I still find this fascinating.

What are your thoughts on this?

Peace!

Nah Nomura probably didn't even know about this "Key of Heaven"... He just liked the x-Blade to be this way and he designed it xD

Coming from me, (one who's favorite artist loves to give several religion based symbolism) I would say it is up for interpretation, Kingdom Hearts is kinda like Nomura's way of keeping hope into the world. I guess if you were to relate it in more ways, the door of light is almost like the door to heaven. Seems Nobodies and heartless are looking for refuge and wanting almost like they are sinners coming to light. Although, it is not always the case to relate things to Christianity, it could have speculation to Shinto and possibly Buddhist too. Regardless of how one looks at it is up to the person. To me it is a "Celldweller song". speak what you will to it, it may just be some inspiration Nomura may have had. 

I still sense and see spirits, I believe it makes up dark matter, that and the souls of people, but again that is just my own belief. I had a lot of paranormal experiences through out my life.

I can see them too. All the time actually. It's actually kind of cool to have the ability to see them. I had a lot of paranormal experiences myself. My mom and dad too.

Square games almost always have religious undertones, I think it just seems that disney didnt recognize that.

Not only did the design obviously influence it, so does the concept. They both bring heaven upon the earth.

And if that isn't enough MX is actually supposed to have a slightly satanic look. Ya know, pointy ears, creepy-ass eyes, likes touching children with his "keyblade"

I can see them too. All the time actually. It's actually kind of cool to have the ability to see them. I had a lot of paranormal experiences myself. My mom and dad too.

My sisters actually sort of have the ability do that, but I can't xD My only paranormal encounters can easily be considered hallucinationsThough my sisters say paranormal stuff doesn't happen that often at my age, but I've had some interesting dreams that tend to come true one way or another.

Edited by Col.Random

It's definitely possible. I've come to find that Kingdom Hearts has quite a few "religious" references, and surprisingly, much of it comes from the villains themselves. In one of Ansem SoD's speeches he mentions that all hearts were born from Darkness, and to Darkness they shall return. Many religions, especially those of the Judeo-Christian variety, believe that people are born already corrupted, and unless their hearts are renewed in Christ, the die and go to an eternal damnation. That's one of the funny things about Kingdom Hearts. It's a rated E game, but some of the subject matter it hits on is actually quite mature when you think about it.   Which came first? Darkness or Light? Good or Evil? Are some people just born evil, or are some people destined to be good? Can a good person be taken over by evil? Can the opposite happen? Can we always trust our hearts? Does the heart ever lie? Are memories kept in the heart or in the head?How important are loved ones? What does it take to push a person to the point of no return? Is Darkness bad if it's used for a good reason? Most video games would never attempt to dive into subjects that complex. 

Exactly! That is why us fans get really annoyed when Kingdom Hearts is called a "baby game" due to the Disney aspect. But the lore and themes of the series are so deep, complex and mature that it takes some fairly decent analysis skills to grasp the true meaning of what is truly being portrayed. I doubt many of us here fully

understand the meanings and implications of it. xD

Except Flaming Lea

Peace!

I feel like there is some religion in Kingdom Hearts, but not what was said in the OP. More like, Kingdom Hearts is God, the Darkness is the Devil. Everyone has a bit of God and the Devil in them. Some more than others, but people try to keep the Light within them.

Looks like people are beginning to see the hidden meanings and interpretations xD

Peace!

You're pretty much asking for it. Keep religion out of this treasured game. The last thing we need is for people to misinterpret things.

dive into the hearts nuff seid :D Edited by liamaru

The KH games symbolism is not exactly pertaining to Christianity all the time if not at all. Darkness =/= Hell ;Light=/=Heaven because Light is not necessarily good and darkness is not bad either. It has to be balanced. 

Christianity does not work that way. Satan is not good. God is good. We want to live without Satan and on the side of God. 

KH must be of another religion or just shedding light on: Good vs Evil but it is not what it seems. 

KH is, if anything, based on Daoism (Taosim) and Shintoism. Shintoism has influence of Daoism; it is where the 'to' comes from.

-No emphasis on a god

-Relies on the Spirit (Heart of humans)

FF has deep religious undertones. Nova Chrystallis Mythos: (FFXIII,FFXIII-2, LR:FFXIII, FFXV) is based on Norse Mythology. 

Lightning was a Valkyrie, which her outfit greatly resembles, and her Eidolin, Odin, was a god of Valhalla. Etro was the god of Valhalla (afterlife) in the FFXIII but she could be the symbol of Freyja the other god(dess)

FFX is based on Catholicism (Yevon) vs. Protestants (New Yevon) vs. Atheist (Albed)

FFVII is based on Roman Mythology.

Edited by HikariYami

This game is Japanese if anything it would have Shintoism

the devil in kh oh wow are you serious? Guys your murican side is showing jk

Edited by KittensOnFire