Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
Firaga

Game Tweaks: Better Populated Worlds

This is probably the start of a collection of nit-picky ideas I might think up for Kingdom Hearts Triple. Just tiny things that I think we're some of the flaws in the older games and that can be improved upon in 3, what with it's shiny next-gen engine and all.

Now, one thing I think would at least make the game aesthetically better is making more NPCs for the worlds. Countless times in the older games have we come upon worlds where generally, if you see the movies for them, they're are supposed to be fleshed out communites of people or beings living there. The only people who we really see populate the worlds are the main characters of each world with the addition of a few side characters and some measly amount of NPCs that sometimes only show up in cutscenes.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who thought it was awkward in KH2 when Aladdin was talking about relishing in the "excitement" of Agrabah's main domain... even though he's the only fricking person other than Jasmine, Jafar, the Peddler, and Iago who actually appear on screen, with no other people or "excitement" to speak of. Most worlds are just ghost towns half the time. If they had more NPCs, it would help give each world the lively feel that most of the Disney worlds thrive off from. How much better would it have been if we got to see the wacky monsters of Halloween Town doing their spooky antics and trying to scare the player a little? Or if we got to see all the animals in the Pride Lands move through the sky and land, capturing the feel of actually being in the wild? So much better, that's what.

There's a bit of a catch to this, I know. Pretty much every area that doesn't have any NPCs that you can talk to or even a access a Save Point, in any of the games, is an area designed for enemies to spawn. And the basic woodwork for Kingdom Hearts in general pretty much revolves around traveling through these areas, battling all the waves until you get to the next objective. But you know, do most of the areas really have to be a battleground? Why can't we have more NPCs roam around the hub space in each world, and I really do mean roam around, as in they interact with the player and the environment around them instead of just standing in one spot (or walking in circles), waiting for the player to talk to them. Or maybe it's possible to have NPCs in the areas where enemies spawn? That's certainly not a new concept to games; plenty of other games have NPCs interacting on the same field as enemies. You just have to program the AI so that the NPCs cower in fear or run away whenever a Heartless or what have you shows up, and then when Sora kicks their asses, they could go back to their casual nature. (Or actually thank Sora for saving them. You don't see that too often in games, do ya? lol)

Overall, this is not really too much of a big deal. There's plenty of other game elements that could have more time worked in that the time I used to type this sucker up. But still, I'm a strong believer in that with anything, the little things count.

Edited by Firaga Sensei

You just have to program the AI so that the NPCs cower in fear or run away whenever a Heartless or what have you shows up, and then when Sora kicks their asses, they could go back to their casual nature. (Or actually thank Sora for saving them. You don't see that too often in games, do ya? lol)

That would be pretty cool to have. You could also have a person or two fall victim to the Heartless. And perhaps if you do save them they could reward you.

Fool. If you know Heartless and Nobodies are outside, then you wouldn't want to be outside.

Well, since enemies only really appear when Sora walks in, you could have people about, minding their business, and when Sora enters the area, Heartless/Nobodies/Dream Eaters spawn, causing the NPCs to drop what they're doing and flee. 

Well, since enemies only really appear when Sora walks in, you could have people about, minding their business, and when Sora enters the area, Heartless/Nobodies/Dream Eaters spawn, causing the NPCs to drop what they're doing and flee. 

Fool. They only appear when Sora is there because Sora is the only one there. If people would be attacked if they were out there.

They could also fight the heartless like in ff13-2 the soldiers would start shooting the monsters when they appeared.

They could also fight the heartless like in ff13-2 the soldiers would start shooting the monsters when they appeared.

Quota'd again

That would also be pretty cool. Have some sort of ragtag militia for some worlds. Or even a legitimate military.

If there would be more people in the worlds, i would like to see the thing you talked about that when heartless appear the people cover in fear and run. But i would also like to see they react to Sora summoning the Keyblade when there's no heartless. I think it would be pretty cool to hear like: ''Woah'' and ''What is that?'' :D