Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Lu Xun

Which aspect do you prioritize the most when deciding if you should get a game or not?

Which aspect do you prioritize the most when deciding if you should get a game or not?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Which aspect do you prioritize the most when deciding if you should get a game or not?

• Story.
    • Characters.
    • Graphics.
    • Gameplay.
    • If it has a successful predecessor.
    • The game company that worked on it.
    • All of the above!
    • Another option? Tell us below!

Story ftw!

It's all about investment. Characters are important, and game play are important, but the question only stated when deciding to get a game, as in buy. I tend to judge a game based off the story line printed on the back cover. It's sounds interesting enough, I'll buy it and test it out. however, if the characters suck and the game play is confusing, I can't guarantee that I'll play it much...

Besides KH, FF, or DOA, if it's a new game i've never heard or played it's usually the Box Cover for some reason.

Because my first Final Fantasy game i've ever played was X-2 and I played it because the Box Cover looked cool.

Story and gameplay are the most important things in video games for me. But sometimes gameplay alone does the trick. (Characters are also important factors but they do kinda belong in the story part xD)

Edited by Beta

I just get games that appeal to me. Trailers, the official website and such is what I look at before I get something. If its a game based off a tv show or a movie like all those Lord of The Rings games they have well then I'll definitely get it xD

ALWAYS gameplay. Wanna know why? Because weak story and weak graphics won't break a game. Weak gameplay will.

Graphics are easily the least important part of a game. Even if a game has piss poor visuals, it can still be a great game. Glitches and stuff will detract from the experience, but graphics are mostly irrelevant.

Now the story is where most people will disagree. It always helps to have a strong story, a reason to get attatched to the characters, a goal to strive for at the end of your journey. But here's the thing: NOT ALL GAMES ARE STORY BASED. What about the classic sidescrollers like Mario? Mario is not known for its storytelling, so does that mean it's a bad game? Most FPS games are more focused on their multiplayer and controls, so are they bad games. No. A game can have little, or even NO story, and still be a great game.

If a game's gameplay is crap, then the game is crap. I do not care how engrossing the story is, or how amazing the visuals are. If the gameplay sucks, the game sucks. Gameplay is the foundation of every game. For it to be good, it has to play well. Having bad gameplay will immediately ruin your experience and probably doom the game. The same simply CANNOT be said for the other two. If a game has no story but amazing gameplay, it's a good game. If a game has the most well told story of all time, but is physically painful to sit down, pick up your controller and play through, it's a bad game.

Always gameplay.

I will usually take into account all of the above when deciding whether to get a game or not. One of the most important aspects for me though is the story. I have always loved games with a good story. :wub:

Hmmm.Mostly gameplay and story.Nothing else matters too much as long as the graphics have a nice style to them or are competent.And as for characters,those can have the luxury of being only competent as well.

ALWAYS gameplay. Wanna know why? Because weak story and weak graphics won't break a game. Weak gameplay will.

Graphics are easily the least important part of a game. Even if a game has piss poor visuals, it can still be a great game. Glitches and stuff will detract from the experience, but graphics are mostly irrelevant.

Now the story is where most people will disagree. It always helps to have a strong story, a reason to get attatched to the characters, a goal to strive for at the end of your journey. But here's the thing: NOT ALL GAMES ARE STORY BASED. What about the classic sidescrollers like Mario? Mario is not known for its storytelling, so does that mean it's a bad game? Most FPS games are more focused on their multiplayer and controls, so are they bad games. No. A game can have little, or even NO story, and still be a great game.

If a game's gameplay is crap, then the game is crap. I do not care how engrossing the story is, or how amazing the visuals are. If the gameplay sucks, the game sucks. Gameplay is the foundation of every game. For it to be good, it has to play well. Having bad gameplay will immediately ruin your experience and probably doom the game. The same simply CANNOT be said for the other two. If a game has no story but amazing gameplay, it's a good game. If a game has the most well told story of all time, but is physically painful to sit down, pick up your controller and play through, it's a bad game.

Always gameplay.

You bring up a really great point. That last paragraph is Sonic '06 in a nutshell to me. I like the story, but the gameplay burned that game to hell. Also, I don't like shooting games or fighting games, so no matter how great the story is in those types of games, I would never play them. But to me, story is second to gameplay, because games like Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog (1991), PacMan, or any other classic games could never be in my list of favorites because while they aren't bad, they aren't story based.

The story. Everything else matters somewhat, but the story matters most, by far. Besides, you only asked what matters the most when deciding, not everything that matters.

Oh, and a game often gets extra points if it's make by Square Enix, just because I can be pretty sure it will have a good story. Assuming, of course, that it is the kind of game that has a story.

Always gameplay.

Although I agree, I still gotta ask...what about Silent Hill?

Another option lol.

'Cause I was gonna vote story, but then I realised that if it were something like a GBA game (terrible graphics, naturally) but it had an epic story, I still probably wouldn't buy it unless it was a series I knew (like Kingdom Hearts for example). So then I was gonna vote graphics but at the same time, I'm not gonna buy a game JUST because it has good graphics, and if it doesn't have a good story then I probably won't want it. So... if I think it looks good overall, or interesting, I'll probably go for it.