Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
Snow

Smartphone Snatchers

MINNEAPOLIS -- Light rail officials are warning riders to keep their phones close after a rash of 'snatch and run' thefts.

From September 24 to October 27, there were 19 reports of what police are calling "snatch and runs," thieves grabbing phones and running away with them.

Usually, police see that number of reports over the course of four to five months so this is definitely a spike, officials say.

And Metro Transit has ramped up its theft prevention efforts with an audio recording and signs warning passengers to keep their phones and electronic devices close, as well as a special detail with Minneapolis police.

"It is occurring more on light rail. It does occur on buses and it occurs at bus stops," says Metro Transit police chief David Indrehus. "One thing we have working for us is that all the rail cars, all of our buses, all the platforms have multiple cameras and we're using those in the investigation to identify the individuals involved and then go after them."

Folks at Metro Transit don't know exactly why there have been so many more phone thefts, but say this is one of the busiest times of the year for ridership.

Along with passengers, both uniformed police and officers in plain clothes are riding the light rail.

They are hoping that the message about thefts is getting through and have reported to the police chief seeing more people who seem to be keeping their phones more closely guarded.

And police have made recent arrests of two people suspected in these thefts.

I would really want to know the benefit of stealing a phone. . . Except for those people who have passwords and such foolishly saved on such a more or less public device :P I would imagine the phone would be deactivated rather quick anyway. . . I kind of just find this whole situation rather comical :P

I would really want to know the benefit of stealing a phone. . . Except for those people who have passwords and such foolishly saved on such a more or less public device :P I would imagine the phone would be deactivated rather quick anyway. . . I kind of just find this whole situation rather comical :P

There is the option of pawning the phones, selling them to black markets, illegal traders, etc.

There is the option of pawning the phones, selling them to black markets, illegal traders, etc.

One would still need a SIM card :P But I do suppose that's one option. . . must be rough times for a thief if they are now going after phones xD

Step 1: Avoid crappy neighborhoods

Step 2: Resist the urge to play a level of angry birds while waiting in a unfamiliar place

Step 3: ???

Step 4: PROFIT!

Seriously, getting mugged isn't to difficult. If you walk around by yourself, at night, in a shit hole, while using your phone your practically asking for it. Fellow New Yorkers like me would pretty much agree that any display of wealth while waiting for the subway is going to get you killed.