Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
xXMikey1stXx

Why is a fanservice model taboo in video games and other media?

I know the fanservice is so taboo that even the most divided fanbase don't want a fanservice or franchise. Why is it bad for video games? I know about other mediums, but fanservice model for in video games is like a big no no. 

Can someone explain why fanservice mode is so bad and notorious for video games & other media. Thanks for reading, I really need help understanding this.

because pandering to fans would be a poor business plan, for instance you could start planning a game based around what the majority of the fandom would want but during development what they want could change dramatically and then you end up with a game completely different from what they want, or if they tried to change to game to keep them happy then they might have to over hall development causing massive delays  

I will say, in all honesty, it depends on what you mean by fanservice

Fanservice that is more cameos or additions from past games that blends well with the game setting and story is generally not seen as a bad thing. Like how Final Fantasy XIV has a LOT of crossover stuff. In fact the entire raid tier for the Stormblood Expansion was set around bosses from previous Final Fantasy entries and it was taken rather well. And that's just one example from the game. Kingdom Hearts has a lot of references itself (heck look at Yozora and how tongue in cheek that was of a reference and even how The World Ends with You and Final Fantasy characters were, and still are, HEAVILY requested for more representation in the series.)

Fanservice that is just tossing in references here, there, everywhere, just for the sake of having callouts to past entries in the series or related games or even inspirations of the devs. Those can be jarring if not done well (like hey why is character X suddenly in a game not about them or connected to their universe???). It needs to mesh well and fit within the setting and narrative or it just doesn't work as well.

The third type of fanservice that is seen, especially in Japan, is sexualization and stuff like that of characters and is generally just seen as tacky and does not contribute to the story other than trying to appease a specific demographic. Dead or Alive as a series is still often left out of fighting game tournaments because it was such a fanservice heavy game in that it is notorious for its depictions of women, despite being a good fighting game at its core.

On 3/29/2019 at 8:56 PM, ocean's rage said:

because pandering to fans would be a poor business plan, for instance you could start planning a game based around what the majority of the fandom would want but during development what they want could change dramatically and then you end up with a game completely different from what they want, or if they tried to change to game to keep them happy then they might have to over hall development causing massive delays  

You have a point there but on the other hand if its stuff the Fan base is talking about for years without end that should give enough confidence to the developers that they should do said thing

Like @LunaCattesays, I think it really depends on what you mean by fanservice.  If fanservice equates to women/men in risqué clothing and adult themes just to appeal to a certain crowd, I'd say it's definitely not needed in the video game franchise because it takes away from the story and often feels very forced (not to mention it unnecessarily limits the audiences which would normally play the game).  If in terms of taking the fanbase in mind and giving them what they want, I think this would actually be a good idea business-wise.  It would show that developers actually care about their fans and want to try to give them something that they want.

On 3/31/2019 at 3:41 PM, Mystics Apprentice said:

Like @LunaCattesays, I think it really depends on what you mean by fanservice.  If fanservice equates to women/men in risqué clothing and adult themes just to appeal to a certain crowd, I'd say it's definitely not needed in the video game franchise because it takes away from the story and often feels very forced (not to mention it unnecessarily limits the audiences which would normally play the game).  If in terms of taking the fanbase in mind and giving them what they want, I think this would actually be a good idea business-wise.  It would show that developers actually care about their fans and want to try to give them something that they want.

Well I mean I know the fanservice model from talking to people who actually explained it. Listening/taking in criticism are a good thing while fanservice is a bad term. One person how the arrow show (and maybe supergirl) got ruin by fanservice. I by no means to disrespect your opinion, just telling you where I learned about the fanservice model. :)

I don't think a few fanservice references here and there are a bad thing, but leaning too much into fanservice can backfire. A good balance between the developer's own goals and ideas for the game, and giving players what they want, is probably the best model.

I've seen games where the developers ignore the fans completely and go with their own vision. Of course it's their game and they're allowed to do that, but it can upset the fanbase who want to feel more represented.

But then I've also seen games where people complain that the fanservice is too forced and isn't actually what they wanted. Dark Souls 3 had some of this, as does every new Sonic game that has a Green Hill Zone level.

Then there's also the fact that fanbases can be fickle things with a large variety of viewpoints. Doing something to please one portion of the fanbase may irritate another.

I don't necessarily think fan service is a bad thing, but you need to know how to balance what the fans want and what you as a developer want. The problem is that fans are rarely satisfied. I've seen several instances wherein a piece of media provided something that fans had been itching for. The fans appreciated it, but then they started shouting "well why didn't you do THIS too? Or THIS?" They always find something new to ask for.

I've also found that attempts to pander to fans often backfire. I know J.K Rowling fell into this trap when people started pointing out that her books didn't have any diversity and all that stuff. Now her clarifications and additions to the lore are starting to really irk some people. There was also the whole disaster with Hannibal's creator stating on twitter that non-canonical fan theories were in fact canonical. Of course, these examples are from television and movies, so I guess it's not really the same as video games.

Of course, sometimes fanservice can work great if done properly. Spyro Reignited clearly had a ton of thought and TLC put into it, and Toys for Bob actually listened to the fans and made adjustments accordingly. This is a good example of knowing how to balance things, like I said earlier.

Myself, I think I would just do my own thing. I think fan service models can turn into a minefield that no one should risk entering.