Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
Dagesh Lene

The Symbols for the Seekers of Darkness

With the release of the Opening Movie Trailer, it appears that we now know what all of the symbols on the chess pieces for the seekers of darkness look like.  As for who they represent, these are the ones who were confirmed in the trailer:

image.png.7af11eb945041eac131f1545a545776c.png

• Master Xehanort

image.png.71efed7a5ce3380c1502f0ab627c31a0.png

• Ansem, Seeker of Darkness

image.png.5193e12d4f507f981aa72b0f3f0daef5.png

• Xemnas

Here are the ones that I am fairly confident on:

image.png.a9bea69063fe31b404903e33b66f4341.png

• Young Xehanort

image.png.1371df910cf4dc9330f2166e3309c283.png

• Luxord

image.png.07fccb97be9d6aa5ef73bbf26f568b9f.png

• Marluxia

image.png.465592b9bc2911c00e0ff6dfb5783a85.png

• Xigbar

image.png.6eab1ac7641268dea0d3e29319fdf2bb.png

• Vanitas

image.png.d0a4a592ab5632e59e5fade495e53740.png

• Saix

image.png.96525050bbdde9da613c80ab94e47480.png

• Larxene

image.png.eef12d5912f51d546e83cf5ccead6231.png

• Terra

Here are the ones I don't know:

image.png.798104119449efd840cdfdc4fb0992c5.png

image.png.8bd072f6ff20477581acd75b2129ebcd.png

image.png.4848a984a629b7dd7dd89b774725de24.png

You may have noticed that there are fourteen chess pieces for the seekers of darkness.  Does that mean that there will be more than thirteen Xehanorts during the final battle?  Do you agree with my guesses for who those symbols represent?  Who do you think those last three symbols could represent?

Edited by Dagesh Lene

At first, I was suspecting that there might be some retcon on the chess pieces regarding the number being 14. But all of them appeared in the Opening Movie Trailer except for the one you guessed that represents Terra which didn't appear explicitly. But that piece is very important since it's the one used to "checkmate" Eraqus in the TGS 2018 Trailer. So there are indeed 14 of them.

The question is why. Even in the Winnie the Pooh Trailer, there are only 12 hooded figures appearing together with Xehanort. There is also no reason to have 14 since Xehanort needs exactly 13 darknesses and 7 lights, unless they need backup. Though I want to point out something regarding the "Terra" piece (or Terra-Xehanort). It has also appeared in the light side of the chess as the exact same symbol. A possible conversion? Hence, the backup? It's also the one used to "checkmate" as I mentioned earlier.

I largely agree with you on the representations of the chess pieces. But first, I need to point out something I just noticed. The third last symbol seems to be very similar to Saïx's weapon the Lunatic, but inverted. But I still think Saïx is the one you guessed.

Other than that, I think I disagree on Luxord, and so it may cause some problem with Young Xehanort as well. I'm also starting to get skeptical on Terra since the symbol doesn't represent Terra in any way. But the possible conversion makes my head ache.

Anyway, for Luxord, dice don't quite represent Luxord for me. His attribute is time and his weapon is the deck of cards called the Fair Game, not dice. There's no chess piece that represents cards so it would be time which means Luxord would be taking Young Xehanort's place.

Now here's another problem: Young Xehanort is mostly associated with time. Since the clock is presumably taken by Luxord, I'll put him as the second last chest piece which has some similarity with the goat symbol as Master Xehanort. Why? His Keyblade also has a goat, and he's literally Xehanort.

And yes, I'm very certain Maleficent is not one of them, mainly because it would defeat the purpose of her own plans and her villainy role in the KH series.

I don't think Vexen and Demyx are as well. Ienzo, Aeleus, Even, Dilan and Lea awakened in the same computer room which is proof that they're not part of the real Organization XIII. Isa and Braig were there too but disappeared with Young Xehanort, so they're seekers of darkness. And since "Demyx" seems to be working together with Even and possibly Ienzo as well, I assume he's not.

Data-Riku is heavily implied so I would put him in Luxord's previous piece which would represent Bug Blox (which have already appeared in the TGS 2018 Trailers).

Another person I'm suspecting is Xion. There are two feminine hooded figures in the Winnie the Pooh Trailer with one of them being small-sized. Since Larxene is one of them, so the other one would be a small-sized female. Naminé or Xion? Xion seems much more likely to me. But I don't know which chess piece suits her.

So 2 chess pieces + Terra-Xehanort remain unknown for me.

18 hours ago, Kenneth Choo said:

At first, I was suspecting that there might be some retcon on the chess pieces regarding the number being 14. But all of them appeared in the Opening Movie Trailer except for the one you guessed that represents Terra which didn't appear explicitly. But that piece is very important since it's the one used to "checkmate" Eraqus in the TGS 2018 Trailer. So there are indeed 14 of them.

The question is why. Even in the Winnie the Pooh Trailer, there are only 12 hooded figures appearing together with Xehanort. There is also no reason to have 14 since Xehanort needs exactly 13 darknesses and 7 lights, unless they need backup. Though I want to point out something regarding the "Terra" piece (or Terra-Xehanort). It has also appeared in the light side of the chess as the exact same symbol. A possible conversion? Hence, the backup? It's also the one used to "checkmate" as I mentioned earlier.

That's a good idea.  It's possible that Terra turns from one side to the other.  Young Xehanort does say in the Toy Story trailer that they are missing a darkness that must be reclaimed.  Maybe he was talking about Terra.

Other than that, I have two other ideas for why the same symbol appears on each side.  My first idea is that one of them represents Lingering Will.  My other idea is that the chess game represents not just the final battle, but the entire Dark Seeker Saga.  So, if Xehanort captures Terra's piece when it's on the side of the lights, maybe that is meant to represent what happened in Birth by Sleep.

I'm also starting to get skeptical on Terra since the symbol doesn't represent Terra in any way. But the possible conversion makes my head ache.

Ends_of_the_Earth_KHBBS.png

I think the symbol is meant to be the Keychain for Terra's Ends of the Earth Keyblade, which is why I think that it represents Terra.

Anyway, for Luxord, dice don't quite represent Luxord for me. His attribute is time and his weapon is the deck of cards called the Fair Game, not dice. There's no chess piece that represents cards so it would be time which means Luxord would be taking Young Xehanort's place.

Now here's another problem: Young Xehanort is mostly associated with time. Since the clock is presumably taken by Luxord, I'll put him as the second last chest piece which has some similarity with the goat symbol as Master Xehanort. Why? His Keyblade also has a goat, and he's literally Xehanort.

You do bring up some good points here.  I have been going back and forth on whether those cubes are dice or Bug Blox for a while now, so I think that it could be either Luxord or Data-Riku.

200px-Young_Xehanort%27s_Keyblade_KH3D.png

However, since Young Xehanort's Keyblade has an hourglass for a Keychain, I think that the hourglass is meant to represent Young Xehanort.

Another person I'm suspecting is Xion. There are two feminine hooded figures in the Winnie the Pooh Trailer with one of them being small-sized. Since Larxene is one of them, so the other one would be a small-sized female. Naminé or Xion? Xion seems much more likely to me. But I don't know which chess piece suits her.

image.png.4896b757a188571cf9aa416969fc8ff7.png

If I may add one more point to back up the theory that Xion is a seeker of darkness, she totally has a silver hair in the Opening Movie trailer.

2 hours ago, Dagesh Lene said:

That's a good idea.  It's possible that Terra turns from one side to the other.  Young Xehanort does say in the Toy Story trailer that they are missing a darkness that must be reclaimed.  Maybe he was talking about Terra.

Other than that, I have two other ideas for why the same symbol appears on each side.  My first idea is that one of them represents Lingering Will.  My other idea is that the chess game represents not just the final battle, but the entire Dark Seeker Saga.  So, if Xehanort captures Terra's piece when it's on the side of the lights, maybe that is meant to represent what happened in Birth by Sleep.

Good points. The Opening Movie Trailer has already shown how Xehanort influenced the events of the games with the chess pieces so it might be the Dark Seeker Saga. This also brings up another question. We actually don't know the rules of the chess game. We were just assuming that it functions like standard chess. It's a weird chess game with apparently 14 pieces on one side and 9(?)(I counted at least 9) pieces on the other side. Perhaps by capturing a piece under a certain condition, one can make that piece their own. Who knows?

Ends_of_the_Earth_KHBBS.png

I think the symbol is meant to be the Keychain for Terra's Ends of the Earth Keyblade, which is why I think that it represents Terra.

Oh, yeah. I didn't notice that. It does bear some striking resemblance. So would Terra-Xehanort be the one to almost defeat Sora after Sora is cornered? ?

Ends_of_the_Earth_Keychain_KHBBS.png

You do bring up some good points here.  I have been going back and forth on whether those cubes are dice or Bug Blox for a while now, so I think that it could be either Luxord or Data-Riku.

200px-Young_Xehanort%27s_Keyblade_KH3D.png

However, since Young Xehanort's Keyblade has an hourglass for a Keychain, I think that the hourglass is meant to represent Young Xehanort.

I'm quite confident that the cubes represent Bug Blox and hence, Data-Riku. Unless Data-Riku is actually the second last one which is the Maleficent-looking one?

The hourglass is tearing me apart, since both Young Xehanort and Luxord are associated with time. But now that you reminded me that the keychain for Young Xehanort's Keyblade is an hourglass, I think Young Xehanort suits better then. And Luxord doesn't seem to be very closely associated with time other than during his battle in KH2. Time for him is more like the time in gambling, not in general. But I still don't think the cubes are dice.

image.png.4896b757a188571cf9aa416969fc8ff7.png

If I may add one more point to back up the theory that Xion is a seeker of darkness, she totally has a silver hair in the Opening Movie trailer.

I did notice that but I would say that it's the lighting, and also weirdly how Xion has silver hair here for some reason. To symbolise that she's already turned (by Xemnas somehow?) prior to meeting Roxas for the last time?

I did mention previously that the third last symbol has some similarities with Saïx's weapon the Lunatic. But some people have also been saying that Vexen's shield the Frozen Pride also has similarities. Some have been saying it to be Aqua's Rainfell, but I don't buy that and it's too far-fetched. Aqua also shouldn't be associated with the Rainfell anymore but the Stormfall. Anyway, I'm curious how both Saïx and Vexen's weapons have a similar trait. Just a coincidence? If not, what does this mean for the original Organization XIII?

11 hours ago, Kenneth Choo said:

I'm quite confident that the cubes represent Bug Blox and hence, Data-Riku. Unless Data-Riku is actually the second last one which is the Maleficent-looking one?

The hourglass is tearing me apart, since both Young Xehanort and Luxord are associated with time. But now that you reminded me that the keychain for Young Xehanort's Keyblade is an hourglass, I think Young Xehanort suits better then. And Luxord doesn't seem to be very closely associated with time other than during his battle in KH2. Time for him is more like the time in gambling, not in general. But I still don't think the cubes are dice.

Dice are associated with gambling though.  True, Luxord is more so associated with cards, but his Nobody type, the Gambler, does juggle dice in its hands.  Plus, both Luxord and Gamblers can turn Sora into a dice.  So, I would say that it does make sense for those cubes to be dice, but I could be wrong.

11 hours ago, Kenneth Choo said:

I did mention previously that the third last symbol has some similarities with Saïx's weapon the Lunatic. But some people have also been saying that Vexen's shield the Frozen Pride also has similarities. Some have been saying it to be Aqua's Rainfell, but I don't buy that and it's too far-fetched. Aqua also shouldn't be associated with the Rainfell anymore but the Stormfall. Anyway, I'm curious how both Saïx and Vexen's weapons have a similar trait. Just a coincidence? If not, what does this mean for the original Organization XIII?

I personally think that saying that it looks like Saix's weapon is a bit of a stretch.  However, now that I look at Vexen's shield, the top of it does look like the symbol on that chess piece, so it is possible that it could represent Vexen.  I'm starting to think that could represent Aqua's Keyblade Glider since I think that it does share a similar design if you look at her Keyblade Glider from the top, but I think that that's a bit of a stretch.

File:Keyblade Glider (Aqua) KHBBS.png

I also don't think that her Keyblade Glider would be used to represent her since almost all of the Keyblade wielders, with the exception of Sora and Master Xehanort, seem to represented by the symbols on their Keychains, with this one, on the side of the lights, possibly being the Keychain of Stormfall:

image.png.0263a700c17cad5c47d600e57390d3a3.png

Speaking of Keychains, I think that there is a lot of similarities between this symbol...

image.png.6856b3dc836a62456d7d7e4e346eeffe.png

...and Gula's Keychain:

Foreteller_Gula%27s_Keyblade_Keychain_KHX.png

Xehanort does mention the "lost masters" who started the Keyblade War in the early trailers for Kingdom Hearts III, so maybe the "lost masters" were found and Xehanort got his hands on one or more of them.

Finally, while rewatching the E3 2015 trailer to get a look at that chess board, I discovered that there is another piece on the side of the darknesses that hasn't been seen since:

image.png.92fb1d592ea0c20927174aa92d7deb75.png

That would bring the total number of darknesses to fifteen.  As for who it could represent, I think that it would most likely represent Marluxia since it seems to bear resemblance to his scythe, which would mean that the flower doesn't represent Marluxia.  As for who the flower could represent, maybe it represents Xion.  I don't know what other symbol would, and I am fairly certain that she is one of the seekers of darkness.  However, I still think that my original thought that the flower represents Marluxia could be right.  Who knows for sure?