Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Wan_Pisu

What's your favorite magic system in the Kingdom Hearts series?

What's your favorite magic system in the Kingdom Hearts series?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite magic system in the Kingdom Hearts series?

• Kingdom Hearts 1 Spells
    • Chain of Memories Magic Cards
    • Kingdom Hearts 2 Spells
    • Birth By Sleep Magic Commands
    • Dream Drop Distance Magic Commands
    • 0.2 Birth By Sleep Spells
    • 358/2 Days Magic Panel
    • Re:Coded Magic Commands
    • Magic sucks!
    • Something else? Share below!

I liked Birth by Sleep's command system. The magic commands weren't only flashy and quite large in number, they also recharged on their own. I don't think I ever used as much magic as I did in BBS since I always saved it for healing. It provides the freedom to use magic but restricts the number of commands, which is fair.

I also liked how you could get top tier magic really early because it feels like a waste to get the good stuff so late into a game. It made some fights too easy, sure, but I generally love the sheer amount and that they looked less generic than in KH1/2. The command deck does have its disadvantages, but it's easily accesible and if you're more of a safety person, nothing stops you from having 8x Curaga in your deck. (I really dislike that Curaga drains all of your MP in KH2/0.2... Some bosses deal so much damage that it's not enough as a casual player.)

Overall, the Kingdom Hearts II magic system takes the cake for me. I find it to be the most enjoyable. And it's the only one with the... errr... "defensive" Fire ? close AoE fire ? circular Fire ? Call-it-whatever-want-fire. It's the only game in which Fire feels different from Blizzard, and I found it to be a really good alternative, rather than two straight-forward shots. But... eh, I guess I would have a much WORSE time these stupid-ass water heartless in 0.2 if the Fire spell was still a circular spell. (Seriously, the water heartless and the fire heartless are firetruckED UP. But I played it on critical so, yeah. Every KH games on critical are firetrucked up)

I also like Kingdom Hearts I magic system, mostly for the Wind spell. It looks so cool.

And, objectively, BBS magic system is the most generous of them all.

And at the bottom of the list we have... 358/2 Days ! I mean seriously, I can understand people you are unsettled by Chain of Memories cards system. But Days system is... boring, and stupid. (Re:Coded gameplay is waaaay better) Still love Days's story, tho.

I'd honestly go for some kind of mix between KH1, KH2, BBS, DDD, and 0.2 in terms of spells. But I guess that depends on what we're focusing on. Are we talking how the spells are executed (deck commands vs magic gauge) or the variety of spells we can obtain? Because I love BBS and DDD for their variety of spells, and I really hope we see that level of variety return to KH3's magic system. But at the same time, can't beat the classics either, KH1 had a really good basic variety of spells, covering the basic nature elements as well as space and time rather nicely, while KH2 introduced mainstays like Reflect and Magnet, which definitely MUST return in KH3. BBS and DDD also introduced more unique spells like Zero Gravity, Balloon, Spark, and Sleep, and they even utilized some other nature elements too like Quake, Meteor, and Tornado. I especially love their introduction to more explicit Darkness and Light based attacks, like Dark Firaga, Dark Splicer, Sacrifice, Faith, and Salvation.

Basically, when it comes to magic, I care more about variety rather than how I have access to magic. Both Deck Commands and Magic Gauges have their equal amounts of pros and cons, so I could always do fine with either. And since KH3 is using a magic gauge again anyway, we don't need to worry about our method of magic use. What I DO want to see in KH3 however is a much larger variety of spells comparable to either that of BBS or DDD, heck, even Re:CoM had quite an extensive variety of spell sleights...and WATER! SERIOUSLY SQUARE, GIVE ME A WATER SPELL IN KH3, YOU ALREADY MADE HEARTLESS THAT USE WATER, SO JUST GIVE ME WATER, WATERA, AND WATERAGA DAMN IT!!!...um, anyway. The spell system is clearly going to mostly be an evolution of KH2's magic system in terms of how it's activated and accessed, but it can still pull from the handheld games for inspiration when it comes to variety. Plus, since we now know that sub-sub menus are possible for shortcut commands, why not make them possible for other sub menus like the Magic menu? You totally have the room to fill in at least a 3 page list of Magic spells, and since we're returning to the evolution system where spells like Fire permanently evolve into Fira and Firaga later on, you don't have to worry that much about over crowding things. 

I like KHI's system because I like a simple, traditional MP system as opposed to the weird recharge system in II and the limited commands in other games. I also felt like spells were the most useful in it, and I'm sitll mad that Aero was changed to a damage spell instead of a support spell.

That being said, KHI is my favorite in the series anyway, so that's not very surprising.

I would definitely say KH 2 Spells, but after playing 0.2 I have to say... 0.2 :D. The system when you use Blizzaga on a Heartless and it freezes + when u cast it on a long path and it creates a trail that you can slide on. It's just really cool :)

Edited by Chozé Freedom Svoboda

Well, magic has always been an element in the Kingdom Hearts universe, but I don't think I've ever used it as much as I did in 0.2! I'm not even kidding, I never dreamed I'd use magic so much! The fact of the matter is, magic in 0.2 flows seamlessly in between combos, and the effects it leaves, such as frozen or paralyzed enemies, really gives one an advantage in battle! I also really liked that if I used the spells enough, I'd get their "Ja" forms, which were the most powerful! If Kingdom Hearts III will have a magic system like this, then Kingdom Hearts III will be where I use magic the most in the Kingdom Hearts series!

In the other games, I used it, but more moderately, and even then, the spell I'd use most was Curaga, though Magnega was also a darling! But 0.2 changed that up for me quite a bit! Now I really can't wait to use all the types of magic that Kingdom Hearts III will hopefully bring!

I'm tempted to say KH2 just because Reflect is godlike, but I'd say Re:Coded had the best use of magic commands of  any game that featured them, plus the act of leveling up and fusing them was way more streamlined and convenient than BBS's.

I'm very much a BBS guy when it comes to overall combat. The ability to meld commands to make new stuff and level up your commands was really fun and made magic feel much more rich! Sadly, as mentioned, there is a lack of balance in BBS, but I think that people put far too much focus on that, and let it ruin their experience. If a command or spell is unbalanced, then either abuse it, or don't use it. Simple as that. Besides, I'm more about the fun commands anyway, like Ventus's Tornado, Aqua's Firaga Burst and Raging Storm, Terra's Warp, and my personal favorite, Time Splicer (which sadly, Terra doesn't get).

Edited by Svard

0.2 is alright but with only the 4 types of magic it still isn't as good as KH2's imo. I also didn't like how critical gave you less mp in 0.2 so KH2 is my favorite

0.2 for me. It actually made magic worth using...But that's probably because of the Heartless. Either way, the -ja tier spells were really cool and the magic was fun to use in general.

My only complaint is the variety of KH2 with a defesnive Fire, a projectile Blizzard, an AoE Thunder, etc.

I hope KH3 has that kind of variety even though the spells we've seen so far tend to prove otherwise.

Kind of hoping for a way to alter between spell usage, allowing you to change projectile Fire to defensive Fire and vice verca.

0.2 for me. It actually made magic worth using...But that's probably because of the Heartless. Either way, the -ja tier spells were really cool and the magic was fun to use in general.

Well, it was worth using somewhat in KH1 but definitely in KH2, but unless you were at lower Levels or even LV1, there wasn't much incentive to use them a lot.

But yeah, for me it's KH2(FM) then 0.2.