Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
Moochieh32

How I Think the CG Kingdom Hearts Could Work

The entire movie would be an alternate version of Kingdom Hearts 1, with same story, same characters, but different worlds (most well-known Disney films as of today for more audience), alternated scenes/lines and a different ending. Most people recognize and enjoyed the first Kingdom Hearts and it's the one that started it all. That's the best story to go with if they end up going through with it.

Edited by Moochieh32

The entire movie would be an alternate version of Kingdom Hearts 1, with same story, same characters, but different worlds (most well-known Disney films as of today for more audience), alternated scenes/lines and a different ending. Most people recognize and enjoyed the first Kingdom Hearts and it's the one that started it all. That's the best story to go with if they end up going through with it.

Eh, maybe, but Square typically tends to be well enough comfortable with the fact that the main (if not only) people to view their movies are the fans of their video games, so I think they realize that they don't need to make up a new version of a story they already told when they could just keep expanding on it's legacy. I mean, they could have just remade Final Fantasy VII as a CG movie, and fans still would have loved to see that, but because they knew that fans would want to see the adventures of Cloud and everyone else continue, they decided to do that with Advent Children. They could be the one exception to the "everything today must be a reboot rule", in that they can just go ahead and release a sequel to Final Fantasy VII that only the fans care about, or release a prequel to Final Fantasy XV that only the fans will understand and be invested in, or even make a movie about Kingdom Hearts that just continues from where the last game left off and bridges the gap to the next one in a way that only the fans would realize.

Sqaure's not fooling themselves, they know where their audience is, they don't have to try and go out of their way to attract general audiences, they can just make things that will only get fans into the few theaters they screen in because most of the money they live off of comes from revenue from the video games they make, so really making movies based on them is equivalent to making really really pricey commercials that last for up to 2 hours, and they still make all of that money back and then some.

So because of that mentality, I feel that it would be best that they just stay the course and if they were to make a CG Kingdom Hearts movie, that it should still be an original story that takes place after KH3 and bridges whatever gap there will be between it and KH4 or whatever the next entry will be. That's not to say it would happen that way, I mean Disney might have a say in how they want it to be too. With all of their live action/CG hybrid remakes of classic movies they have been doing, maybe they would feel more comfortable if they were rebuilding Kingdom Hearts to be marketable to a general audience as well. However as a fan I would not want to see that happen, there's nothing you need to change about what Kingdom Hearts is, you don't have to try and re-brand it for a modern and diverse audience. If they wanted to retell the story but still stuck true to the things that worked and the spirit of the first KH, then fine, that's all that matters, but after witnessing Disney just push out so many reboots one after the other, I'd rather just see some continuity for a change here, remember when there were nothing but sequels? Let's just make a story that's good, continue from it with more stories that are good or better, and just keep going from there.

Edited by Hero of Light XIV

Honestly, I would love it if a CG Kingdom Hearts film took place after Kingdom Hearts III, bridging the gap between the Xehanort Saga and the next saga!  That's the most likely route I would see Square taking for a CG film, and I'd be all up for it!  I really hope this is the case!  Because we already know full well the story of the games! Let the film be its own thing, ya know? :3

As much as I hypothetically love the idea of a KH movie, the series is Disney's property after all, and I think they'd definitely want to be more hands on it since a feature film (especially if it has a limited theatrical release like "Kingsglaive") has the potential to reach a lot of people, and with it featuring several of their iconic characters including their mascot Mickey Mouse, they definitely don't want it to be crappy or else it'd hurt their brand. So I think a movie acting as a prologue to KH3 or bridging this saga and the next is a bit unlikely, if only because Disney doesn't want to alienate moviegoers or critics who have no prior experience with the series or knowledge of what's going on with the story. An adaptation seems like a good idea at first, but it'd be difficult to squeeze the whole of KH1 into a two hour movie if you want to feature all the worlds, so you'd have to cut out a lot of it which isn't ideal (if they ever wanted to go this route, a serialized TV series would be best). I think their most practical options would be to adapt KHX or 358/2 Days since their stories are pretty simple and standalone, or just do an original movie set in the KH world with all new characters.

Whatever they do I'd be there day one of course.

Edited by J. Severe