•    Sign In   
  • Create Account

You are viewing the forum as a guest. For a better experience, please sign in or create an account.

Forum Search New Content Forum Rules Boards Status Updates Fan-made Images Fan-made Videos Livestreams Chatroom
Photo

Are you excited for Sonic Mania and the new Sonic 2017 game?

Sonic Sonic the Hedgehog Sonic Mania Sonic 2017 Sega PS4 XBox One PC Nintendo NX

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Are you excited for Sonic Mania and the new Sonic 2017 game?(76 members have cast votes)

1. I'm excited for both games (34 votes [44.74%])

Percentage of vote: 44.74%

2. I'm excited for only Sonic Mania (2 votes [2.63%])

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

3. I'm excited for only the Sonic 2017 game (3 votes [3.95%])

Percentage of vote: 3.95%

4. I don't care about either games (32 votes [42.11%])

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

5. Another option? Tell us below! (5 votes [6.58%])

Percentage of vote: 6.58%

Vote

To vote, please sign in or register.

#21 TheEightMelodies

TheEightMelodies

Professional Lurker

• 257 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:14 AM

I'm excited for both games but as usual keeping my expectations/hype down. Colors and Generations are fantastic with Lost World being 'eh' so I'm not too overally concerned with Project 2017 expect maybe the fact that they seem to be going with a darker story than other recent games. Also we haven't even seen anything really about P. 2017 as the trailer was only about a minute long. We'll just have to wait for more news. 

(And that Nintendo NX mention!)

Mania looks fantastic and is being made with people I trust so again I'm not overally concerned. Looks super fun to play so far and have only heard good things from people actually playing the game. We'll be seeing more from it at the Summer of Sonic event in under 2 weeks too.

(Edits were just some little details :) )

Edited by TheEightMelodies, 24 July 2016 - 11:21 AM.

#22 Alpha Baymax

Alpha Baymax
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:17 AM

And about that new IP that Sega would supposedly benefit more from? Billy Hatcher says hi.

Do you honestly think that Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg is Sega's only non-Sonic IP? You really need to do your research into Sega IP's. Speaking of "new" Sega IP's, this game has been critical praise, but again, because Sega's barely advertising it: nobody ever talks about it. I genuinely hope this game does well.

#23 lehahiah81

lehahiah81
  • 246 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 02:18 PM

I don't really care that much about Sonic in general so there isn't any reason I'd be excited.

#24 HeyMouseSayCheese

HeyMouseSayCheese

With dry, cool wit like that, I could be an action hero

• 1,310 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:21 PM

I was about to mention Valkyria chronicles! I'd take that over Sonic any day. Nintendo rehash Mario all the time but at least they can keep it somewhat interesting. Sonic is getting old now and a lot of us are getting tired of it.Because each final fantasy game is unique and interesting in its own way and Nintendo find ways to make Mario interesting. Those franchises aren't plagued with awful broken messes of games like sonic boom, sonic 06, sonic and the black Knights. I could care less if a franchise is a classic, if the games are getting old and terrible then the franchise should die off.

And a lot of us still love Sonic, love the good games and are excited for new games. But let's forget those of us who actually like Sonic, Sega should stop making the games entirely because some people don't like them, right?

Do you honestly think that Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg is Sega's only non-Sonic IP? You really need to do your research into Sega IP's.

You're misunderstanding. Billy Hatcher was an example of a huge failure for Sega, it barely sold at all. So when someone suggests Sega stop making their flagship franchise that's guaranteed to sell at least decently in favor of a new IP that might sell like shit and cost them a ton of money, I just think they should keep in mind that not all risk equals reward. New IPs are great, but strategic war games and turn based RPGs don't have nearly as much mass appeal as a simple cartoony platformer with one of the most recognizable characters in all of video games.

#25 BlankShell

BlankShell

Amazing Cyber Sleuth

• 2,023 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 06:49 PM

Never been big on the Sonic series, so neither. Enjoyed them enough as platformers back in the day, but never quite got the hype.

#26 Alpha Baymax

Alpha Baymax
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:09 AM

You're misunderstanding. Billy Hatcher was an example of a huge failure for Sega, it barely sold at all. So when someone suggests Sega stop making their flagship franchise that's guaranteed to sell at least decently in favor of a new IP that might sell like shit and cost them a ton of money, I just think they should keep in mind that not all risk equals reward. New IPs are great, but strategic war games and turn based RPGs don't have nearly as much mass appeal as a simple cartoony platformer with one of the most recognizable characters in all of video games.

Using Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg as an example of Sega playing it safe is like saying Chibi Robo is the reason why Nintendo should play it safe with making Mario games. Chibi Robo barely sold, and even with the 3DS game packed with an Amiibo, it's still a terribly niche intellectual property like Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg. Let me give you a bunch of non-Sonic IP's that are valued Sega franchises to this day.

Virtua Fighter

Streets of Rage

Yakuza

Valkyria Chronicles

Vectorman

Alex Kidd

Shinobi

Golden Axe

Shining series

Phantasy Star

Shenmue

NIGHTS (made by Sonic Team)

Space Channel 5

And like I said earlier, this is another new IP by Sega (at least in the west, I know it's an ongoing series in Japan). Sega can make new IP's, people just hold Sega to a double standard because Sonic is the more vocally demanded mascot against Mario.

Edited by Alpha Baymax, 25 July 2016 - 05:10 AM.

#27 HeyMouseSayCheese

HeyMouseSayCheese

With dry, cool wit like that, I could be an action hero

• 1,310 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:23 AM

Using Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg as an example of Sega playing it safe is like saying Chibi Robo is the reason why Nintendo should play it safe with making Mario games. Chibi Robo barely sold, and even with the 3DS game packed with an Amiibo, it's still a terribly niche intellectual property like Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg.

I love this example because it proves my point perfectly: Nintendo never stopped making Mario games in order to focus on Chibi Robo. They didn't kill off the Mario franchise in order to bring new or old IPs into the forefront. They kept their focus on the big money makers like Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, etc., and made Chibi Robo on the side.

Same thing with Sega; they keep their focus on Sonic- their big moneymaker- while still making less popular games like Yakuza and Valkyria Chronicles. There's no reason to kill off the Sonic franchise in favor of other franchises, just like there's no reason for Nintendo to kill off Mario in favor of Chibi Robo.

Sega can make new IP's, people just hold Sega to a double standard because Sonic is the more vocally demanded mascot against Mario.

Is it even really a double standard if Sonic is legit their most popular franchise?

#28 Alpha Baymax

Alpha Baymax
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:00 AM

Is it even really a double standard if Sonic is legit their most popular franchise?

It is if you don't hold Mario by the same standard. 

#29 Clouded Sun

Clouded Sun

Just, don't expect me to go easy on you.

• 1,614 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:47 AM

It is if you don't hold Mario by the same standard.

Mario hasn't been off its game like Sonic has. Even if that were to happen Mario would never die because he still has Zelda and Pokémon behind him. So Nintendo rolls in money for all three of those IP's. As arguably SEGA's only big moneymaker Triple A IP, Sonic can't afford to fail cause people demand Sonic games from SEGA, as it's a market that is known by casuals, diehard fans and children alike. Therefore SEGA can't have any other source to lean on. It doesn't have a Zelda or Pokémon, it has more niche games like Phantasy Star and legacy games like Phantasy Star.

#30 Alpha Baymax

Alpha Baymax
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:06 AM

Mario hasn't been off its game like Sonic has. Even if that were to happen Mario would never die because he still has Zelda and Pokémon behind him. So Nintendo rolls in money for all three of those IP's.As arguably SEGA's only big moneymaker Triple A IP, Sonic can't afford to fail cause people demand Sonic games from SEGA, as it's a market that is known by casuals, diehard fans and children alike. Therefore SEGA can't have any other source to lean on. It doesn't have a Zelda or Pokémon, it has more niche games like Phantasy Star and legacy games like Phantasy Star.

Sega has Virtua Fighter and Valkyria Chronicles to satisfy consumers. Problem is, as I said earlier, Sega just refuses to make them ideal moneymakers. Because of that, they're shoehorn Sonic all the time. Part of the reason why Sonic has not been doing so well is because of the over-saturation of Sonic games.

People demand Sonic from Sega because that's all they know. Sonic. After Sonic Boom, plenty of people like Shinobi Waffles wanted him gone. And I don't blame those people when you ransom your most popular IP because you're not willing to make your lesser IP's more popular.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sonic, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Mania, Sonic 2017, Sega, PS4, XBox One, PC, Nintendo NX