Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
The Transcendent Key

I Got Final Fantasies VIII And IX For My PS3!

I have both VIII and IX, but I've only played bits of VIII, and that was years ago, so I don't remember much of that one. 

However, I've played and finished IX a few times, and I love this game!  <3  The story is the best out off all the FF games imo, the music's also fantastic (although V and VI have better music imo), and the three main characters are awesome, along with two other playable characters and the villain! 

However, the only thing that is keeping IX from being my favorite FF is the gameplay.  While the battle system is like FFIV-VII, they go by so slowly.  And the random battle encounter is obnoxious; you'll be getting in fights every ten steps!  Well, I seem to anyway; maybe my luck's just bad.  The camera angle can also be weird sometimes; there will be times when your character is really far away and you can barely see him, but you can't zoom in closer.

But despite that, this game is amazing!  If you like the older FFs (like IV, V, and VI), then I'm pretty sure you'll like this one too. :)

*Edit: Oh yeah, and FFIX takes me about 30 hours to finish, but I like to try and get everything, so it might be shorter if you don't care about that.

Edited by mag77

Hey there everyone, how's it going!?  So then, as most of you all know, I'm a lover of RPG's, and some of the RPG's I love to play the most are from Square Enix!  That being said, I've played all the Kingdom Hearts games, Chrono Trigger, and a few Final Fantasy games! And speaking of Final Fantasy games, I got VIII and IX for my PS3!

You see, there was this special going on, where the games were half priced, and so I got VIII and IX for $9.98 cents!  And well, since I purchased them, I'm obviously gonna download them, and I started downloading VIII first!

So then, to those of you who've played VIII and IX, did you enjoy those two games?  Which one did you think was the best? How were the games in terms of story and gameplay, and did you like the music?  Also, were the games long? :)

Please make sure not to spoil anything about these games, since this will be my first time playing them! I just wanted to know your thoughts on the games, and which one you like most, VIII or IX! I look forward to reading your replies! :3

Yo! I'm about to play FFIX on PC RIGHT NOW, literally right now.

I've clocked in 95 hours into FF8 on steam, so you can call me the expert ;)

Alright so FF8 is a great game, but it's very weird, very very weird. Some people despise it and other people love it to death, I'm more on the love side, The junction system takes a bit of time to understand, oh and remember this

DO NOT LEVEL GRIND!!!!!

The enemies in FF8 scale with your level, at higher levels they have higher vitalities (Thus they are more resistant to attacks). You shouldn't need to level grind in FF8 anyway, most of the bosses are very easy with the exception of the last fight (Be very prepared for it)

The gameplay is pretty fun since each character will have different abilities equipped to them, for example Squall could have

Attack

Item

Magic

Summon

But another party member could have

Attack

Card

Draw

Mug

Etc, so no 2 characters play the same way. Oh and the music in this game is beautiful.

The best character is Squall, I can relate to him a lot and the story is extremely well written despite what many people say. Oh and there is 1 dynamic that reminds me of Kingdom Hearts 1 which I won't spoil for you right now :D.

The junction system is really deep and interesting to use but it'll take a while to understand since it's not explained very well in the game. The limit breaks are more interactive in the game as well.

If you want help, just PM me, as I've said I've clocked 95 hrs in :P

They are both great game,but I prefer FFIX over FFVIII.FFIX is simple,simple gameplay mechanics,simple and charming story,its just a fun ride from beginning to end,it had one of the best soundtrack of the series and lots of throwback to previous FF games,its one of the best RPGs you'll ever play.

FFVIII is great too,but there are a few things that holds it back,the story is good but its weird and confusing at times,the draw system is a bit annoying but you'll get use to it,the soundtrack is good with a couple of great themes but its one of those soundtrack to me like FFX or FFXIII with lots and lots of forgettable music unfortunatly.FFVIII is one of the weirdest entery of the series but its still fun when you get use to it

I have both VIII and IX, but I've only played bits of VIII, and that was years ago, so I don't remember much of that one. 

However, I've played and finished IX a few times, and I love this game!  <3  The story is the best out off all the FF games imo, the music's also fantastic (although V and VI have better music imo), and the three main characters are awesome, along with two other playable characters and the villain! 

However, the only thing that is keeping IX from being my favorite FF is the gameplay.  While the battle system is like FFIV-VII, they go by so slowly.  And the random battle encounter is obnoxious; you'll be getting in fights every ten steps!  Well, I seem to anyway; maybe my luck's just bad.  The camera angle can also be weird sometimes; there will be times when your character is really far away and you can barely see him, but you can't zoom in closer.

But despite that, this game is amazing!  If you like the older FFs (like IV, V, and VI), then I'm pretty sure you'll like this one too. :)

*Edit: Oh yeah, and FFIX takes me about 30 hours to finish, but I like to try and get everything, so it might be shorter if you don't care about that.

Oh, I see!  Wow, so you really love IX, huh? And the fact that its battle system is similar to that of Final Fantasy IV's is awesome, cuz IV is my favorite FF game ever! Ah, and the story is also awesome, huh?  Hmm, most interesting!  And 30 hours, you say?  That's pretty good!  Looks like I'm in for a great game! Thanks for telling me about your experience with IX! :D

Hope you enjoy them, man!

Thanks, man! :D

VIII can be hard to get in to, but once you do it's great!

Ah, I see! Well, as long as I can get the hang of it, I'm sure I'll enjoy it, definitely! :D

OH GOD THE JUNCTIONING. 

Something tells me that junctioning is important, lol! xD

I really enjoyed FFVIII but at the beginning it was really hard to understand how to play but later got used to it, VIII is one of my favorite RPG because of the story and also I identify myself with squall, I also have IX but I'm haven't play it yet

Hmm, I see!  Awesome, thanks for telling me about VIII! :D

Yo! I'm about to play FFIX on PC RIGHT NOW, literally right now.

I've clocked in 95 hours into FF8 on steam, so you can call me the expert ;)

Alright so FF8 is a great game, but it's very weird, very very weird. Some people despise it and other people love it to death, I'm more on the love side, The junction system takes a bit of time to understand, oh and remember this

DO NOT LEVEL GRIND!!!!!

The enemies in FF8 scale with your level, at higher levels they have higher vitalities (Thus they are more resistant to attacks). You shouldn't need to level grind in FF8 anyway, most of the bosses are very easy with the exception of the last fight (Be very prepared for it)

The gameplay is pretty fun since each character will have different abilities equipped to them, for example Squall could have

Attack

Item

Magic

Summon

But another party member could have

Attack

Card

Draw

Mug

Etc, so no 2 characters play the same way. Oh and the music in this game is beautiful.

The best character is Squall, I can relate to him a lot and the story is extremely well written despite what many people say. Oh and there is 1 dynamic that reminds me of Kingdom Hearts 1 which I won't spoil for you right now :D.

The junction system is really deep and interesting to use but it'll take a while to understand since it's not explained very well in the game. The limit breaks are more interactive in the game as well.

If you want help, just PM me, as I've said I've clocked 95 hrs in :P

Holy crud, 95 hours!? That's about as long as it took for me to beat the first Dark Souls! X_X  Oh wow, then you really love the game to have poured so many hours into it! :D  Oh, so this is why I've heard that the game has a love-hate ratio with FF fans! Hmm, so the learning curve can be tricky, huh? Well, that's okay, cuz as long as I learn how to manage the gameplay, I'll definitely play VIII! I'm all into these games for the story, so I'll enjoy them very much!  Thank you for your detailed explanation on VIII! :)

Hehe nice got mine VIII and IX also some time ago.

But on PS1 it was cheap got them both for €30.

Sweet!  Sounds like a nice deal! ^_^

They are both great game,but I prefer FFIX over FFVIII.FFIX is simple,simple gameplay mechanics,simple and charming story,its just a fun ride from beginning to end,it had one of the best soundtrack of the series and lots of throwback to previous FF games,its one of the best RPGs you'll ever play.FFVIII is great too,but there are a few things that holds it back,the story is good but its weird and confusing at times,the draw system is a bit annoying but you'll get use to it,the soundtrack is good with a couple of great themes but its one of those soundtrack to me like FFX or FFXIII with lots and lots of forgettable music unfortunatly.FFVIII is one of the weirdest entery of the series but its still fun when you get use to it

One of the best soundtracks, you say? :O  Ooh, I'm all for awesome soundtracks!  Yay, that'll be one thing I'll be looking forward to in IX! :D

Well everyone, thank you for your illuminating perspectives on both Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy IX!  It seems both games have their pros and cons, but overall, people seem to enjoy them, so that's great!  I'm looking forward to the stories of these games the most, so I'm sure as heck gonna enjoy them to the max! I can't wait to get started! :D

Oh, I see!  Wow, so you really love IX, huh? And the fact that its battle system is similar to that of Final Fantasy IV's is awesome, cuz IV is my favorite FF game ever! Ah, and the story is also awesome, huh?  Hmm, most interesting!  And 30 hours, you say?  That's pretty good!  Looks like I'm in for a great game! Thanks for telling me about your experience with IX! :D

I love FFIV too!  IV, V, VI, and IX are my favorite FFs (they're also the only FFs I like besides Dissidia) And IX is much like the other three, so I'm sure you'll like it! :)  Have fun with both of them!

I love FFIV too!  IV, V, VI, and IX are my favorite FFs (they're also the only FFs I like besides Dissidia) And IX is much like the other three, so I'm sure you'll like it! :)  Have fun with both of them!

Oh, sweet!  FFIV is my love! No matter how many FF games I play, IV will always have a special place in my heart, because its story, characters and setting will always be amazing to me! Cecil Harvey and friends all the way! (KAIN AND GOLBEZ, WOOT WOOT!)  

Ooh, you've played Dissidia as well!?  That's awesome! I have both Dissidia's for my PSP! :D  Ah, so IX is similar, huh? Cool!  And I also want to play V and VI! VI specifically, cuz I've heard that VI is one of the best FF games ever made! :O

And thanks, I will enjoy them! :3

Oh, sweet!  FFIV is my love! No matter how many FF games I play, IV will always have a special place in my heart, because its story, characters and setting will always be amazing to me! Cecil Harvey and friends all the way! (KAIN AND GOLBEZ, WOOT WOOT!)  

Ooh, you've played Dissidia as well!?  That's awesome! I have both Dissidia's for my PSP! :D  Ah, so IX is similar, huh? Cool!  And I also want to play V and VI! VI specifically, cuz I've heard that VI is one of the best FF games ever made! :O

And thanks, I will enjoy them! :3

V and VI are really good!  Some people don't like V though, because its not 'dark' and 'serious' enough, but if you play it, you'll find out those claims aren't really true.  Some don't like it too because of the characters, but I love the characters (especially Bartz <3)

Yeah, IV and VI often battle in my mind to see which one is my favorite.  And yes Cecil, Kain, and Golbez (and Bartz, Locke, Edgar, Zidane, and Kuja) are my FF senpais. :wub:

Edited by mag77

V and VI are really good!  Some people don't like V though, because its not 'dark' and 'serious' enough, but if you play it, you'll find out those claims aren't really true.  Some don't like it too because of the characters, but I love the characters (especially Bartz <3)

Yeah, IV and VI often battle in my mind to see which one is my favorite.  And yes Cecil, Kain, and Golbez (and Bartz, Locke, Edgar, Zidane, and Kuja) are my FF senpais. :wub:

Oh, I see!  Interesting! And yeah, from what I've seen in Dissidia, Bartz is quite the charismatic character! :D

Lol, those are a lot of senpais! xD  But yeah, when there's so many awesome characters that one likes, it's difficult to choose a favorite, ya know? X3

And well, I aim to play all of the numbered Final Fantasy titles!  I've actually played quite a few!  I've played I, III, IV, X, XIII and XIII-2!  And soon I'll be adding VIII and IX to the list as well!  I was originally gonna play VII on my PS3 as well, but since the Remake is coming along, I think I'll wait for the remake!  I want to play all the other numbered entries too!  I'll get there, someday! :3

Oh, I see!  Interesting! And yeah, from what I've seen in Dissidia, Bartz is quite the charismatic character! :D

Lol, those are a lot of senpais! xD  But yeah, when there's so many awesome characters that one likes, it's difficult to choose a favorite, ya know? X3

And well, I aim to play all of the numbered Final Fantasy titles!  I've actually played quite a few!  I've played I, III, IV, X, XIII and XIII-2!  And soon I'll be adding VIII and IX to the list as well!  I was originally gonna play VII on my PS3 as well, but since the Remake is coming along, I think I'll wait for the remake!  I want to play all the other numbered entries too!  I'll get there, someday! :3

Yeah, I really love happy-go-lucky characters like Bartz.  And exactly; I have so many character I love that I can't choose one!  Seriously, a friend of mine sent me this meme that would list my top 100 favorite characters, and I couldn't do it because I'd be leaving characters off and I'd feel bad.

Wow, good luck playing all FFs!  I've only played I-VI, IX, and Dissidia (though I know what happens in XIII cause I've seen a whole playthrough of it)

That's cool man! I haven't played VIII, but IX is my second favourite Final Fantasy game (barely losing out to VI). I feel IX is only growing in popularity nowadays and even then it is criminally overlooked compared to a few other FF games.

Definitely hope you enjoy them!

I'm in the process of my first Final Fantasy IX playthrough myself!  So far I really like it; it heralds back to the older Final Fantasies (bearing a lot of similarities to IV, in my opinion) and the music is phenomenal.  I really like the characters, the humor is great, and so far I am really enjoying it.  I haven't completed the game myself, though typically most Final Fantasys are anywhere between 30-40 hours to beat, excluding extras.  I hope that helps some!  I look forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences to the games!  If it helps you choose any, VIII is more modern whereas IX is more whimsical/medieval.  Depending on which you prefer you might find yourself leaning toward one over the other.

Yeah, I really love happy-go-lucky characters like Bartz.  And exactly; I have so many character I love that I can't choose one!  Seriously, a friend of mine sent me this meme that would list my top 100 favorite characters, and I couldn't do it because I'd be leaving characters off and I'd feel bad.

Wow, good luck playing all FFs!  I've only played I-VI, IX, and Dissidia (though I know what happens in XIII cause I've seen a whole playthrough of it)

Haha, yeah, happy-go-lucky characters are always awesome! :D  Lol, and yeah, if I was in your shoes, I'd probably be the same way!  I'd be like: "Ooh, I like this character...but I like these ones too!"  So I feel for ya there! xD

Haha, and thanks, I know I'll get there someday! :3  Oh wow, you've played quite a few FF games yourself!  That's quite the impressive resume! :D

That's cool man! I haven't played VIII, but IX is my second favourite Final Fantasy game (barely losing out to VI). I feel IX is only growing in popularity nowadays and even then it is criminally overlooked compared to a few other FF games.

Definitely hope you enjoy them!

Yeah, I've also noticed how IX is gaining a lot of popularity recently!  It's like wherever I look, there's always something regarding Final Fantasy IX around the corner, ya know?  It's good, though! Gotta have a soft spot for the classics, ya know? :)

And thanks, I will enjoy them, most definitely! :D

IX is my favorite game of all the series.The characters and the rich world and long gameplay is something to admire in that game. Really.

Awesome!  I'm really curious about the game, and now that I have it for my PS3, I'll finally get to play it! :D

I'm in the process of my first Final Fantasy IX playthrough myself!  So far I really like it; it heralds back to the older Final Fantasies (bearing a lot of similarities to IV, in my opinion) and the music is phenomenal.  I really like the characters, the humor is great, and so far I am really enjoying it.  I haven't completed the game myself, though typically most Final Fantasys are anywhere between 30-40 hours to beat, excluding extras.  I hope that helps some!  I look forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences to the games!  If it helps you choose any, VIII is more modern whereas IX is more whimsical/medieval.  Depending on which you prefer you might find yourself leaning toward one over the other.

Oh, I see!  Most interesting! The time it takes to complete is pretty fair, then!  It is similar to IV, then?  OMG, IV IS MY FAVORITE NUMBERED TITLE!!!  Ah, then if that's the case, then I'll definitely be greatly attracted to IX! :D  And well, when it comes to the type of Final Fantasy game I like, I love the medieval/whimsical types, so yeah, it looks like IX might come in as my second favorite numbered title in the series!  But yeah, I'll play both games, and when I complete them, I'll be sure to give my thoughts on the games! I'm very psyched to play them!  But first, I gotta finish X-2! xD

I agree with Mystic about IX. IX in terms of story at least, is pretty similar to IV, so I am pretty sure you will enjoy it, since IV is your favourite(as well as mine).

Hopefully you will enjoy VIII more than I did.

Indeed, the fact that it's similar to IV greatly interests me, because as you said, IV is my favorite! (And omg, you love it too!? Awesome! IV is life!!! X_X)

Yeah, I'll enjoy both games, definitely! :3

But yeah, I just gotta download 'em, and once I finish playing X-2, I'll get started with VIII, then followed by IX! :D

Haha, yeah, happy-go-lucky characters are always awesome! :D  Lol, and yeah, if I was in your shoes, I'd probably be the same way!  I'd be like: "Ooh, I like this character...but I like these ones too!"  So I feel for ya there! xD

Haha, and thanks, I know I'll get there someday! :3  Oh wow, you've played quite a few FF games yourself!  That's quite the impressive resume! :D

Yeah, happy-go-lucky characters are usually my favorite.

Oh really?  I know a lot of people who've played all FF games, including the spinoffs, so I don't know if my experience in this series is that impressive... Although, I have played almost all the games in both the Dragon Quest series and the Kirby series, which both are my favorite series! :D

Yeah, happy-go-lucky characters are usually my favorite.

Oh really?  I know a lot of people who've played all FF games, including the spinoffs, so I don't know if my experience in this series is that impressive... Although, I have played almost all the games in both the Dragon Quest series and the Kirby series, which both are my favorite series! :D

That's awesome! :D

Well, even so, you've played a great many FF games, most of them being the classics, so that counts as awesome in my book!  The only classics I've played are I, III and IV!  I want to play II, V and VI badly!!! X_X  Oh, and wow, you've played almost all the Dragon Quest and Kirby games?  That's awesome! :O

That's awesome! :D

Well, even so, you've played a great many FF games, most of them being the classics, so that counts as awesome in my book!  The only classics I've played are I, III and IV!  I want to play II, V and VI badly!!! X_X  Oh, and wow, you've played almost all the Dragon Quest and Kirby games?  That's awesome! :O

Well thanks then! :D

Yeah, the only Dragon Quest game I haven't played is X, and that's because it never got a western release.  As for Kirby, the only one I haven't played is Amazing Mirror, and I never will because my GBA broke and I don't feel like getting a new one.

Anyway, good luck with your gaming experiences! :D

Well thanks then! :D

Yeah, the only Dragon Quest game I haven't played is X, and that's because it never got a western release.  As for Kirby, the only one I haven't played is Amazing Mirror, and I never will because my GBA broke and I don't feel like getting a new one.

Anyway, good luck with your gaming experiences! :D

You're welcome! :)

Oh wow, I see!  But wow, that means you've played all the other Dragon Quest games, huh?  That's pretty damn impressive!  So, how are those games, actually? I've never played them!  Are they good RPG's? :)  Lol, and you can get a GBA on Ebay or Amazon! You just gotta get motivated! xD

And thanks! :3

You're welcome! :)

Oh wow, I see!  But wow, that means you've played all the other Dragon Quest games, huh?  That's pretty damn impressive!  So, how are those games, actually? I've never played them!  Are they good RPG's? :)  Lol, and you can get a GBA on Ebay or Amazon! You just gotta get motivated! xD

And thanks! :3

Eh, I don't really feel like getting a GBA just for one game (well two games counting FFV)

The Dragon Quest series (and the Kirby series) were the first games I've gotten into.  I've played Dragon Quest I-IV, VII and VIII a bunch of times with my dad, so they're real special to me.  Same goes with Kirby, but I've played those with my mom. 

Anyway, Dragon Quest games are really simple.  Games I-IV have very basic stories: an evil lord wants to rule/destroy the world, and you gotta defeat them and save the world.  However, games V and on have a little more story to them, but the premise is still the same (but it is with most games if you think about it).  So, if you want to play games for their stories, Dragon Quest isn't the best option, but VII and VIII have really good stories imo.  The games don't really have particularly interesting characters, except for VIII and maybe VI.  And all the games have silent main heroes, so if you want to like a game for its characters, then Dragon Quest really isn't the game to play. 

However, what I like best about Dragon Quest is their worlds!  They're really big and have tons of towns and caves to explore.  They're also nice and colorful, which I find really nice.  FF worlds have really dull colors it seems (except for V).  So if you really like large worlds and exploring them, then you'll love Dragon Quest, especially VIII!  The battle system is the basic turn-based, so I have no idea if you like that or not.  If you don't, then you won't like these games since they're all like that.  The final thing to say is that games III and on are pretty long, about 30+ hours (VII is 100+ hours and that's just with the main story; its not even counting side quests).  I really enjoy the series, but I could be biased because of my history with them.

And you're welcome! :)