Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
GothicSlenderman

The Nintendo NX Idiocy

Yeah, this whole situation with Nintendo is bordering on worrisome!  And it's sad because I really love Nintendo, but if they aren't going to do any promoting for the NX to get customers interested, then how are they gonna rack up sales?  And this whole Zelda scandal is making things worse, dividing more fans from Nintendo as a whole, and again, that is a sad situation!  Nintendo is one of the pioneers of what we know as gaming today, and it'd be sad if that pioneer got snuffed out because of poor marketing decisions and messes!  I don't want Nintendo to fade into obscurity! D:

Let's just hope Nintendo finds someway to rebound from this mess! :(

I agree Nintendo has had pretty poor marketing for like ever. They like actually have a history of missteps from poor Wii U marketing to even back the SNES days when Nintendo decided to stick with the NES as it's primary console when Sega entered the market. They've always managed to bounce back in some regard. They have quality consoles (except for the Wii) and even better quality games, which is what Nintendo has focused on since its introduction into the video game market. I don't believe Nintendo will ever be snuffed out but I do agree they really need to improve their marketing. The Wii U is actually a damn good console that no one took seriously and they should have learned from their mistakes from that, but it appears they haven't. It's a shame, but they'll never die out.

I agree with what you said except with these two points.

3. Zelda Wii U is also a launch title for the NX. That's pretty cool, but not for sales. For those who already have a Wii U and want the new Zelda game might not even bother with the NX. The only reason they'd get it is either because they want a better visual experience or just to support Nintendo. They better have some great games under their belt besides just Zelda.

4. Nintendo's repeating the same mistakes as the Wii U. Little to no Marketing, barely talking about the thing, coming out only a few years before the next Playstation or Xbox systems are announced.

When it comes to the whole Zelda thing in regards to it "not improving sales" we have been proven wrong. Twilight Princess was for sure a  factor in transitioning people from the Gamecube to the Wii, especially when you notice that the Wii version sold more copies than its previous version. Looking at the other consoles currently as well like the PS4, them porting games over from the PS3 to their current console has only helped newcomers who never owned the previous console to get into the PS4, cause now that they get to play all these highly acclaimed games that they couldnt have played otherwise cause they didnt want to invest into a console that was near the end of its cycle.

If anything(assuming the NX isnt backwards compatible, but even than my point still stands to an extent) it be a smart move for them to just port over games like Splatoon and Smash 4 over to the WiiU. If newcomers get the opportunity to play all these great games that they heard had high acclaim while being able to invest in a console thats for sure gonna have new games coming out for it, that would be a smart move on Nintendos part. So if anything, them porting one of their big games over to the NX is for sure gonna boost sales where it wouldnt otherwise.

As far as that other point thing goes, Id agree with you if it wasnt for the fact that they havent even revealed what the product is yet. There is no way to market something that hasnt even been revealed yet.However, whenever they do reveal the damn thing, and if their reveal of it along with the marketing for it is weak, than we can criticize them for that, but until they show the damn thing I wouldnt call it "Poor Marketing."

nintendoes what everyone else nintendon't want them to nintendo

well we'll see how things play out for them. they could always do a nintendo direct and just dump a ton of reveals about the NX right there.

let Sony and Microsoft duke it out at E3 and then when the heat dies down, Nintendo emerges a few months later on a nintendo direct to show off the NX and get all the attention from games media.

edit: wait wait i had another joke

*ahem*

i guess you could say that the fans really believe this behavior is quite NXcusable

bam

Edited by Headphone Jack

I agree with your points for sure, but there are counter points too.

1. It's weird they won't talk about the NX at E3, but Zelda being the only game is okay. Unlike Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo gives good chunks of info throughout the year. They'll even announce games at random points. Unlike other companies, Nintendo has shown that they don't need E3 to show off and announce games. Again, the only real negative is that they aren't talking about the NX at E3.2. Since the NX has not technically been "announced" yet, no one needs to know about it. Nintendo only mentioned it because they felt they had to. If they're planning on a March 2017 release, they should probably start talking, but they don't have to talk if they don't want to.

3. The fact that the Wii U line up is so thin, shows that practically all of their teams are working on NX titles. The sales for the Wii U are bad, and most owners are probably Nintendo fans who will buy the NX anyway. I don't see Zelda U and Zelda NX eating into each other's sales, at least not so much that it will matter.4. Nintendo is actually being very careful. They're not fighting for attention at E3. They putting most of their teams on launch games. This year will suck for us Wii U owners, but the NX launch should be really good! :D

Edited by James Lutz

Nintendo has been profitable the last two years, so they aren't in a terrible position. 2012-2014 they were taking loses but 2015 and 2016 they made a net profit. They might be able to make the NX profitable but I agree that they haven't handled marketing very well.

the Nintendo NX is make or break for Nintendo at this point. I really don't want to see Nintendo die off simply because they don't have abusive DLC practices.

i've kinda always felt like nintendo was the reverse sony in that their consoles are not too great(i mean wii, wii u) but i LOVE the handhelds 

They say we're taught history so we can learn from it, unfortunately no one does, otherwise we wouldn't have wars.Nintendo looks like it desperately wants to follow Sega down the grave it dug itself, by making all. The. Same. Mistakes.

history is taught by the victor! and sadly it seems only the wrong people learn from that x D

I feel like I want to argue against what you said, but it rings with so much truth that I can't think of a good way to prove what you said is wrong. I dearly love Nintendo, but over the past few years they have seriously made some bad choices and constantly make things that no one wants (did ANYONE actually want Animal Crossing amiibo Festival??? What about the upcoming Metroid Prime Federation Force???). What makes me most sad is the fact that Nintendo is seriously clueless, because in an interview about Paper Mario Color Splash Miyamoto said something like 'We started to make the game, but then realized that it would be too close to Paper mario and The Thousand Year Door, so we decided to change the gameplay". *facepalm* Unless the fans take over Nintendo and steer it back in the right direction, I think Nintedo is doomed. x.x

I feel like I want to argue against what you said, but it rings with so much truth that I can't think of a good way to prove what you said is wrong. I dearly love Nintendo, but over the past few years they have seriously made some bad choices and constantly make things that no one wants (did ANYONE actually want Animal Crossing amiibo Festival??? What about the upcoming Metroid Prime Federation Force???). What makes me most sad is the fact that Nintendo is seriously clueless, because in an interview about Paper Mario Color Splash Miyamoto said something like 'We started to make the game, but then realized that it would be too close to Paper mario and The Thousand Year Door, so we decided to change the gameplay". *facepalm* Unless the fans take over Nintendo and steer it back in the right direction, I think Nintedo is doomed. x.x

that's exactly what they said when they were developing Paper Mario: Sticker Star. it seems like nintendo made the same mistake again. *sighs* :(

that's exactly what they said when they were developing Paper Mario: Sticker Star. it seems like nintendo made the same mistake again. *sighs* :(

Ikr? They decide not to "clone" a good game, and instead "clone" a bad one. Nintendo needs to get their stuff together.

Ok, no matter how big of a Nintendo fan you are you have to admit this is idiotic business practice.

So you know of the Nintendo NX, right? Nintendo's newest system coming March 2017. But Nintendo is making ALL the wrong decisions here. Making the system come out on March 2017 is fine, so what could go wrong you could ask?

Well...

1. Nintendo isn't even talking about the Nintendo NX this E3. Instead it's going to focus on Zelda Wii U. Not only are they missing one of the biggest opportunities to show off the NX but are also only talking about ONE game on E3. E3 is a time where we talk about new games which were announced or new information about other games we already new about. Not just information on ONE game we already know about. Also, I understand that Nintendo has made single game directs before, but none have taken up the E3 spot. The Smash DLC one in 2015 came before E3 but it still didn't replace the rest of their plans.

2. They announced it on Twitter...TWITTER! Not a direct, not a trailer (and god knows not E3) but Twitter! Not many people even know the NX even exist.

3. Zelda Wii U is also a launch title for the NX. That's pretty cool, but not for sales. For those who already have a Wii U and want the new Zelda game might not even bother with the NX. The only reason they'd get it is either because they want a better visual experience or just to support Nintendo. They better have some great games under their belt besides just Zelda.

4. Nintendo's repeating the same mistakes as the Wii U. Little to no Marketing, barely talking about the thing, coming out only a few years before the next Playstation or Xbox systems are announced.

I'm sensing an even worse repeat of the Wii U or even...the SEGA Saturn. You can say "Ermahgerd you're just a hater Nintendo has enough money to survive for years!!1!" But Nintendo's been losing money for years, most people and game developers don't even take them seriously any more, Amiibos aren't even the best selling toy-to-play figures (which would be Disney Infinity) Nintendo lost millions of dollars on both 2013 & 2014, Little to no third party support, most hardcore fans leaving during he time of the Wii, Nintendo Creator Program, No longer in the list of the 100 most recognizable brands, ect. You can shout "Other companies made mistakes to! Sony tried to Trademark Let's Play" Yeah other companies make mistakes. But does that mean we should ignore a single companies faults because "Other companies make mistakes" No, a company losing money, no matter successful they are, is still a company losing money.

1. It was never said that Zelda is the only game that would be shown at E3. Can we please stop spreading this misconception? It shows that most of the people getting mad aren't even reading anything about the news.

2. This recent news was announced at an investor's meeting. It was just shared on social media afterwards so the general public knew what was happening. Making a Direct just to say "NX coming in 2017!" would be a waste of time.

3. We haven't even seen the NX yet. Zelda isn't the only reason to get one. There will be more games available at launch, it's coming in March because they want a good line of launch titles.

4. It... hasn't even been revealed. Can we stop dooming a console that has yet to be revealed? There's still plenty of time before March 2017 to build hype.

1. It was never said that Zelda is the only game that would be shown at E3. Can we please stop spreading this misconception? It shows that most of the people getting mad aren't even reading anything about the news.

2. This recent news was announced at an investor's meeting. It was just shared on social media afterwards so the general public knew what was happening. Making a Direct just to say "NX coming in 2017!" would be a waste of time.

3. We haven't even seen the NX yet. Zelda isn't the only reason to get one. There will be more games available at launch, it's coming in March because they want a good line of launch titles.

4. It... hasn't even been revealed. Can we stop dooming a console that has yet to be revealed? There's still plenty of time before March 2017 to build hype.

3. It could be for some people though. Also, on the nintendo press website, nintendo changed the release date for zelda wii u from march 2017 to just 2017 so we really don't know when it's coming out

Eh, you make good points there. Really what made the PS4 and XBone so popular was because they were showing off specs and having special announcement conferences and demos at least a good year before their projected release dates. If I were to guess, I'd say that Nintendo is hoping that the hardware and technology itself will make up for whatever mistakes they make with marketing, but the point remains that all that stuff will mean little to nothing if not enough people know about it. I mean Smash was probably what helped the Wii U become more recognizable, but that came out at least 2 years after it's initial release. And starting out with a port that no one has even played and loved yet is probably one of the bigger mistakes they are making, it's essentially just trying to borrow thunder without even capturing the lightning in a bottle yet. They should have let Zelda U remain on the Wii U, see how popular it got, and then bother with a port to try to boost those sales, maybe even delay the release of the console if that's what it takes. Miamoto is the one everyone quotes when it comes to delaying projects for better quality, and yet while they claim to be doing that with the Zelda game, they seem to be rushing with the NX's release. It's like they've gotten so used to being on top that they don't even think that they have to try with teasing people anymore. Yes, the internet makes information of your system "available", but that doesn't guarantee that it will be seen. They need to go back to making those gutsy moves that they pulled with commercials right up to the Wii and 3DS' releases, things that grabbed peoples' attention so they knew that they existed.

I don't know, I'm really hoping that it's just too early to say how they'll handle this, but so far this sounds like the same Nintendo we've had for the last few years rather than the awesome one we remember or a newer better Nintendo we've never seen before. I really hope they turn things around soon, it's just disappointing. I'll always be a Sony boy first, but I still love Nintendo as much as the next gamer. The poetic justice would just be too bitter if Nintendo actually went the same way Sega did. xP

Zelda will be the focus, because they need to build hype for the game in order to sell some NX's. It's likely that they will still reveal the NX at E3, with some focus being on the console, but more focus to be on Zelda. After all, you need a killer title in order to sell a system. At this point, how likely is it that people are going to want to buy a Wii U? The system has performed poorly in terms of sales, the technology is a generation behind, it can't even support modern engines, like Unreal 4, and it's been entirely abondoned by third parties because of the technology. And with how long it will take to develop another title exclusively for the NX, it only makes sense that they want to drive sales as soon as they can, especially given how much longer it takes to develop games these days. And no that they've made a vast, open world Zelda game, it may very well become expected of them to continue that trend for future installents, which makes it take even more time and resources. The Wii U was only built to be, at best, a 5-year system. While I doubt it, I would like to think that maybe, this time, Nintendo is going for something that will be around for 7 years before they try and release something new. Either way, at this point, it's either make, or break for them. It's especially tragic considering how well they've thrived in the handheld market. I can't help but wonder, if they made a system that was, at its core, a handheld, but offered the home console experience with the use of additional, inexpensive hardware that would even boost visuals or performance, and even be required for select games, how well could that potentially sell?

EDIT

Never mind. I just read IGN's article saying that the NX will not be at E3 this year. Hm... poor marketing choice on that end. I can't help but wonder what will become of it.

Edited by Svard

Thank goodness someone started a thread on this and not me. :v

Anyways, I agree with most, if not all your points. The only thing I can think of is the line up, with the president stating they want to push out games the year the NX is out. (Boy, we haven't heard that story before... Oh wait.)

I'll just leave this here, where it further discuss about this topic, as well as other points:

Edited by OmegaForte