Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Shimmy

KHUX A short little ramble on Xehanort's Keyblade

Wait...that's a horned lion? O.O

Well great Scott, I've been looking at Xehanort's Keyblade the wrong way!  That's not a goat, that's a lion!  Huh, you learn something new everyday! :D

Aaaand I just spoiled myself on the Forteller's true names...ah well, but that's okay, but I won't spoil myself of X's story anymore, cuz I'm playing through Unchained X! X3

But yeah, this is a very interesting theory!  It could be that Xehanort's Keyblade symbolizes pride! :O

Wait...that's a horned lion? O.O

Well great Scott, I've been looking at Xehanort's Keyblade the wrong way!  That's not a goat, that's a lion!  Huh, you learn something new everyday! :D

Aaaand I just spoiled myself on the Forteller's true names...ah well, but that's okay, but I won't spoil myself of X's story anymore, cuz I'm playing through Unchained X! X3

But yeah, this is a very interesting theory!  It could be that Xehanort's Keyblade symbolizes pride! :O

I'm sorry I didn't mean to spoil ;A;. Should I edit the post to add a spoiler warning?

AND YEAH SAME DUDE. I thought this thing was a goat for years, I feel betrayed lol.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to spoil ;A;. Should I edit the post to add a spoiler warning?

AND YEAH SAME DUDE. I thought this thing was a goat for years, I feel betrayed lol.

Lol, it's okay, no hard feelings!  Those were just names, after all! :D  Pretty important names, but still, just names!  But yeah, put a spoiler tag. x3

Lol, well, it did look like a goat!  And given the fact Master Xehanort has a goatee, well, i dunno, it just rubbed us the wrong way, ya know? xD

A horned lion? A lion with a horn (or horns)? 

This is new to me. I've never heard of such a thing. 

I thought it was a goat. And just looking at the Keyblade, now I kinda see a lion with a wild looking mane and a pair of horns.  :O

So "the other guy" might have a Keyblade with the animal motif of a goat. 

Edited by RikuFangirl2008

Um, yeah I'm gonna call BS on that. For one thing, THE HECK IS A HORNED LION!? That's not a thing. I don't ever recall that being a thing. It makes no sense, it doesn't even look like a lion, it's a freaking goat. xP

Just cause it translates out as that doesn't mean that's enough to go off of. I mean so what if it's literally called that, it still looks like a goat, everybody thought it was a goat, I still say it's a goat. Until there's something said in the games that directly addressed it and confirms that it is not a goat but some kind of made up horned lion thing, I am not buying this. And keep in mind that while the KH wiki is a good source for fan gathered info, it is STILL fan-run, meaning that any hot speculation of the week could be put on there. So if it's a popular theory that it might not be a goat but some kind of "horned lion" or whatever, it's going to be put on there until they feel that they have a reason to change it.

My point is, I'm not taking any stock in this until something more official is put forth to make sense out of this, because right now the only thing anyone has anything to go off of is just a literal translation from concept art, and lord knows we've never seen things from concept art change before, now have we? *glares at Ven's early Keyblade art*

Sorry if this comes off as ranty or flamey but, GAH, I feel like it's just jumping the gun too much. xP

Um, yeah I'm gonna call BS on that. For one thing, THE HECK IS A HORNED LION!? That's not a thing. I don't ever recall that being a thing. It makes no sense, it doesn't even look like a lion, it's a freaking goat. xP

Just cause it translates out as that doesn't mean that's enough to go off of. I mean so what if it's literally called that, it still looks like a goat, everybody thought it was a goat, I still say it's a goat. Until there's something said in the games that directly addressed it and confirms that it is not a goat but some kind of made up horned lion thing, I am not buying this. And keep in mind that while the KH wiki is a good source for fan gathered info, it is STILL fan-run, meaning that any hot speculation of the week could be put on there. So if it's a popular theory that it might not be a goat but some kind of "horned lion" or whatever, it's going to be put on there until they feel that they have a reason to change it.

My point is, I'm not taking any stock in this until something more official is put forth to make sense out of this, because right now the only thing anyone has anything to go off of is just a literal translation from concept art, and lord knows we've never seen things from concept art change before, now have we? *glares at Ven's early Keyblade art*

Sorry if this comes off as ranty or flamey but, GAH, I feel like it's just jumping the gun too much. xP

You've never heard of the mythical creature Chimera before have you? It is literally a Lion Goat creature of mythology.

Posted Image

This is the creature that Xehanort's keyblade represents and rightly so. Xehanort is an individual who takes heart and bodies and melds them to his own liking (Terra, Riku, Braig, Saix) which is why the Chimera is a fusion of various animals but has the core elements of a Lion. 

Edited by Guest

''Just cause it translates out as that doesn't mean that's enough to go off of''

wut

Translations aren't perfect but unless it's google translate it means what it says 

It could just be a name though

You've never heard of the mythical creature Chimera before have you? It is literally a Lion Goat creature of mythology.

Posted Image

This is the creature that Xehanort's keyblade represents and rightly so. Xehanort is an individual who takes heart and bodies and melds them to his own liking (Terra, Riku, Braig, Saix) which is why the Chimera is a fusion of various animals but has the core elements of a Lion. 

I just noticed the Chimera part, and yes I have heard that. But that is not exclusively a lion and a goat now is it? As popular of a concept as a chimera is, it'll take a bit more than a wiki and a few theories to convince me that that's the missing piece of the puzzle here.  >.>

''Just cause it translates out as that doesn't mean that's enough to go off of''

wut

Translations aren't perfect but unless it's google translate it means what it says 

It's literally just a name, that doesn't mean that it stuck that way.

If I wanted to go out of my way to see it, MAYBE I could make out the snout of a lion on that animal head charm thing, but that's still a far stretch, and I'm not even sure if I'm just making it up just so I can find something or not. For me concept art is concept until applied, over half the things we've seen in concept have almost never made it to final design. If Ven's Keyblade wasn't enough of an example for you all I could gladly point to Sora's original Lion O concept that never made it. Maybe they intended it to be some kind of horned lion thing originally, but there's also a high chance that they just went with a ram or something anyway. I mean when I look at the motif I get more of a beastly ram type of demon vibe or something, nothing about it really screams lion to me.

I'm not saying that there's no chance I'm wrong and that it actually is some kind of goat lion thingy, but hear me out here. All we have is a name. No, not even a name, just a brief description in concept art, art that proposes and gives some details to an idea before it is finalized. Doesn't it feel at least a little premature to suddenly go around changing how we describe the thing before we get anymore details about it? The wiki doesn't seem to think so apparently, but frankly I'm under the impression that if such a thing were to be given such significance to the story, they would eventually get to it at some point, be that later down the road in X, Unchained, or Back Cover. Odds are if it is supposed to have any sort of relation to the Foretellers, it will be made clear then. But until that happens, I find it pretty pre-mature just to accept the idea suddenly that it shares lion qualities when they aren't even that apparent on their own. If there is some kind of theory about a goat apprentice and lion master becoming one or something, I would prefer to actually see it or get actual in-game hints of that occurring before I take full stock in it. Concept art can only tell me so much.

I just noticed the Chimera part, and yes I have heard that. But that is not exclusively a lion and a goat now is it? As popular of a concept as a chimera is, it'll take a bit more than a wiki and a few theories to convince me that that's the missing piece of the puzzle here.  >.>

It's literally just a name, that doesn't mean that it stuck that way.

If I wanted to go out of my way to see it, MAYBE I could make out the snout of a lion on that animal head charm thing, but that's still a far stretch, and I'm not even sure if I'm just making it up just so I can find something or not. For me concept art is concept until applied, over half the things we've seen in concept have almost never made it to final design. If Ven's Keyblade wasn't enough of an example for you all I could gladly point to Sora's original Lion O concept that never made it. Maybe they intended it to be some kind of horned lion thing originally, but there's also a high chance that they just went with a ram or something anyway. I mean when I look at the motif I get more of a beastly ram type of demon vibe or something, nothing about it really screams lion to me.

I'm not saying that there's no chance I'm wrong and that it actually is some kind of goat lion thingy, but hear me out here. All we have is a name. No, not even a name, just a brief description in concept art, art that proposes and gives some details to an idea before it is finalized. Doesn't it feel at least a little premature to suddenly go around changing how we describe the thing before we get anymore details about it? The wiki doesn't seem to think so apparently, but frankly I'm under the impression that if such a thing were to be given such significance to the story, they would eventually get to it at some point, be that later down the road in X, Unchained, or Back Cover. Odds are if it is supposed to have any sort of relation to the Foretellers, it will be made clear then. But until that happens, I find it pretty pre-mature just to accept the idea suddenly that it shares lion qualities when they aren't even that apparent on their own. If there is some kind of theory about a goat apprentice and lion master becoming one or something, I would prefer to actually see it or get actual in-game hints of that occurring before I take full stock in it. Concept art can only tell me so much.

Dude, Xehanort's Keyblade's tip is a Dragon wing. That's literally another element that forms the Chimera. :dry: At this point, you seem to refuse to accept the possibility that Xehanort's Keyblade is based on the Chimera. I mean, the Chimera is the perfect representation of who Xehanort is. Xehanort is a chaotic evil being who hosts on bodies for them to be Seekers of Darkness. The Lion qualities are definitely apparent. You just so happen to interpret it as a goat. Let me show you.

Posted Image

Goats have a very rectangular snout whilst Lions have puffy cheeks and more hexagonal snouts. Plus, look at the Dragon wings. They're not just coincidentally there for decoration. Also, Master Xehanort's Keyblade has a mane. Goats do not have manes. Master Xehanort's Keyblade is based off a Chimera. Look, Kingdom Hearts X is the events leading up to the Keyblade War. Because of this, it's inevitably going to have a lot of mythology inspiration. The Foretellers and Ephemera are inspired by Zoroastrian mythology and well as the Seven Deadly Sins, Skuld is inspired by Norse mythology and you suddenly disagree with Master Xehanort's Keyblade being a Chimera? Xehanort's Keyblade being a Chimera is more plausible than the connection the Foretellers have to our Keyblade heroes.

Edit: More evidence to prove it's a Chimera

Posted Image

Look at the top hilt of that Keyblade and tell me with confidence that you see nothing at all whatsoever that resembles a Lion?

Edited by Guest

Dude, Xehanort's Keyblade's tip is a Dragon wing. That's literally another element that forms the Chimera. :dry: At this point, you seem to refuse to accept the possibility that Xehanort's Keyblade is based on the Chimera. I mean, the Chimera is the perfect representation of who Xehanort is. Xehanort is a chaotic evil being who hosts on bodies for them to be Seekers of Darkness. The Lion qualities are definitely apparent. You just so happen to interpret it as a goat. Let me show you.

Posted Image

Goats have a very rectangular snout whilst Lions have puffy cheeks and more hexagonal snouts. Plus, look at the Dragon wings. They're not just coincidentally there for decoration. Also, Master Xehanort's Keyblade has a mane. Goats do not have manes. Master Xehanort's Keyblade is based off a Chimera. Look, Kingdom Hearts X is the events leading up to the Keyblade War. Because of this, it's inevitably going to have a lot of mythology inspiration. The Foretellers and Ephemera are inspired by Zoroastrian mythology and well as the Seven Deadly Sins, Skuld is inspired by Norse mythology and you suddenly disagree with Master Xehanort's Keyblade being a Chimera? Xehanort's Keyblade being a Chimera is more plausible than the connection the Foretellers have to our Keyblade heroes.

Edit: More evidence to prove it's a Chimera

Posted Image

Look at the top hilt of that Keyblade and tell me with confidence that you see nothing at all whatsoever that resembles a Lion?

I will admit the dragon wings lend a little more credence to the theory, but I'm telling you what I can see, and the lion parts aren't even apparent to me. At best, that goat head on the top of the No-Name resembles Chernabog a lot closer than it does a lion, as far as I can see. The jaw just doesn't look right to me. I commend you for bringing up as much backing as you can get, but it just doesn't change the fact that I LITERALLY DON'T SEE THE LION ASPECTS OF THE DESIGN. That's it. It sounds like a really cool hypothesis, it would be awesome if it turns out that way. But as far as I'm concerned, it's just a really cool ram based design with some dragon wings here and there. Maybe if the lion bits I'm supposed to be seeing are the slightly wider snout and the fangs I could kind of force myself to see it as a lion, but my first instinct still tells me it's more of a demon based off a goat. That's honestly how it looks to me, I don't know what else to tell you.

I will admit the dragon wings lend a little more credence to the theory, but I'm telling you what I can see, and the lion parts aren't even apparent to me. At best, that goat head on the top of the No-Name resembles Chernabog a lot closer than it does a lion, as far as I can see. The jaw just doesn't look right to me. I commend you for bringing up as much backing as you can get, but it just doesn't change the fact that I LITERALLY DON'T SEE THE LION ASPECTS OF THE DESIGN. That's it. It sounds like a really cool hypothesis, it would be awesome if it turns out that way. But as far as I'm concerned, it's just a really cool ram based design with some dragon wings here and there. Maybe if the lion bits I'm supposed to be seeing are the slightly wider snout and the fangs I could kind of force myself to see it as a lion, but my first instinct still tells me it's more of a demon based off a goat. That's honestly how it looks to me, I don't know what else to tell you.

Are you sure you're not Lion about the fact that you don't see the Lion in Xehanort's Keyblade?  xD Because the Lion aspects are clearly visible.

Posted Image

Posted Image Yeah that's a lion :P

You all need glasses ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Kidding I thought It was a goat too but that is very obviously a lion 

See, even Yuno sees it. Xehanort's Keyblade is a Chimera.

wut

I would just like to confirm that I did not use google translate lol, I used my own Japanese knowledge that comes from being a struggling Japanese teenager. I also asked my mother to read it too, considering she was actually born there unlike me (I'm  a fraud I know) just to confirm, and the wiki was just the cherry on top.

角のある獅子  In google actually translates to 'lion with a corner' Because  also means corner/angle along with horns, but given context I think we all know what it actually says lmao

Thank you for defending me ;w;

I would just like to confirm that I did not use google translate lol, I used my own Japanese knowledge that comes from being a struggling Japanese teenager. I also asked my mother to read it too, considering she was actually born there unlike me (I'm  a fraud I know) just to confirm, and the wiki was just the cherry on top.

角のある獅子  In google actually translates to 'lion with a corner' Because  also means corner/angle along with horns, but given context I think we all know what it actually says lmao

No problem, you should totally try learning Japanese from your Mum so you understand 2.8 once it's released in Japan.  :wink:

I think this translation basically confirms that Master Xehanort's Keyblade is indeed a Chimera. Makes me wonder, would Master Xehanort have a Chimera companion? Xemnas had his Dragon Nobody and Ansem, Seeker of Darkness has that Heartless Airship?

Just a warning guys, potential spoilers for Kingdom Hearts χ  and Unchained χ ahead!

So I was just digging around through concept art and found something interesting I figured you guys might enjoy (or not I'm easy lol)

At this point I'm sure that everyone and their mother is aware of the fact that Xehanort's keyblade bares a strong resemblance to the foreteller’s keyblades. Xehanort’s keyblade matches perfectly with each foreteller’s keyblade, complete with the eye of darkness and an animal motif.

Bear→ Snake → Unicorn → Fox → Leopard → Goat

It makes perfect sense! Xehanort's keyblade is a goat and goats represent lust so it must represent his lust for darkness. Brilliant! Except the thing is Xehanort’s keyblade is not a Goat. We’ve been duped.

Digging through concept art I found this image in the Kh ultimania dream drop distance concept art. Bare in mind the art is on Young Xehanort’s keyblade, but I think we can all agree that the animal symbol remains the same on both versions of Xehanorts’ keyblades. When examining this image I noticed a piece of information that kind of struck me surprising.

Posted Imagegoat.png

This says 角のある[/size]獅子[/size] (koku no aru shi shi)[/size][/size]or horned lion. Yeah my head hit the desk out of exasperation at this moment too. Ok so I’m a disgrace of a okinawan teenager and I don’t trust my japanese enough to translate things efficiently, so I did a bit more snooping around. Apparently khwiki was aware of the fact that Xehanort’s keyblade is a horned lion too. Ok so if you knew that Xehanort’s animal motif was a Horned Lion and not a goat/ram I commend you. I’ve been calling the thing a goat for years and so has everyone I’ve ever talked Kingdom Hearts with.

The fact that Xehanort’s animal motif is a -ahem- horned lion is actually pretty significant when it comes to comparing him with the foretellers. Namely because it changes the whole sin game entirely.

Posted Imageanimal sins.png

With the foretellers names's revealed

Aced, Invi, Ira, Ava, and Gula

only two sins are left: lust and pride. Originally myself and many others who I’ve discussed with pegged the original owner of Xehanort’s keyblade as the inevitable lust representative because of the obvious goat motif. It’s not all bad though, because as I’m sure you’re aware if you took the time to look at the chart above you’ve noticed that Lions correspond to Pride in the Ancrene Wisse. Seeing as how Pride is often depicted as the deadliest sin of all (and given Grand Daddy Nort’s track record) this makes sense. However I think it might be important to note something I’ve mentioned once before: that Goats and Lions mixed together create a traditional chimera. It's mainly just food for thought though.

I’m not much of a person who vocalizes their own predictions and such, but I’m actually rather curious to see your guys’ thoughts on this. Either way I hope you learned something new (and if not sorry for wasting your time haha it was legitimately surprising to me ok).

This was a brilliant observation. It makes sense it would be lust because what does Xehanort have a lust for?

Are you sure you're not Lion about the fact that you don't see the Lion in Xehanort's Keyblade?  xD Because the Lion aspects are clearly visible.

Oh geez, not the puns.

Oh geez, not the puns.

I thought you would have been amazed by Xehanort's keyblade origins being that of Chimera to notice the hidden pun?

I thought you would have been amazed by Xehanort's keyblade origins being that of Chimera to notice the hidden pun?

I am amazed at the origins, but the pun was like one my former high school U.S history teacher would come up. Those are like ones you shake your head, chuckle, and think "oh boy".

Nice digging! Always cool to see the symbolism represented in the KH universe. What I don't get though, is what about Leopards? They don't have a place in that chart at all. They're certainly not flies or swine, so gluttony wouldn't necessarily make sense for Leopardos, unless they are repesented as such in some other culture?

Nice digging! Always cool to see the symbolism represented in the KH universe. What I don't get though, is what about Leopards? They don't have a place in that chart at all. They're certainly not flies or swine, so gluttony wouldn't necessarily make sense for Leopardos, unless they are repesented as such in some other culture?

Thank you so much! As for Leopardos, I honestly don't have much of a clue. I've heard that a possible connection might be that apparently in Dante's inferno, Dante encounters a Lion, She-wolf, and Leopard in the level of hell connected to gluttony. Bare in mind that I'm not a particularly religious person and I'm just going off of what I've been told, and honestly based off of what little research I've done it doesn't give much of a connection. I have yet to find a source that confirms that the encounter takes place in the level of hell dedicated to gluttony, and the Leopard's sin in the story appears to be that of lying, not gluttony...?

So basically, as of right now I'm just considering Gula an outlier ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Leopardos is the substitute for the Pig. It's evident by Master Leopardos name: Gula (Glutonny). It's an intentional aesthetic change, because let's be real, who would want to join the Union of the Swine?  :lol: 

Thank you so much! As for Leopardos, I honestly don't have much of a clue. I've heard that a possible connection might be that apparently in Dante's inferno, Dante encounters a Lion, She-wolf, and Leopard in the level of hell connected to gluttony. Bare in mind that I'm not a particularly religious person and I'm just going off of what I've been told, and honestly based off of what little research I've done it doesn't give much of a connection. I have yet to find a source that confirms that the encounter takes place in the level of hell dedicated to gluttony, and the Leopard's sin in the story appears to be that of lying, not gluttony...?

So basically, as of right now I'm just considering Gula an outlier ¯_(ツ)_/¯

So far, we have parallels to Dante's Inferno, Zoroastrain Mythology, Norse mythology with Skuld, and now that we've deduced Xehanort's Keyblades inspiration: we've also got Greek mythology too.  :blink:

I'm telling you I really can't pick apart the lion aspects in the Keyblade, at this point I've already convinced myself that it's a sort of goat/ram/demon motif. Granted demons can share lion, goat, and dragon features already, but nothing is really standing out to me as lion-ish, at least not in a real obvious way. (appreciate the pun tho  xD ) I don't know what else to say, sometimes there's just no convincing people. At least not right away. :P

I never said you used it, I was trying to say to him that in this case the translation is accurate so there is no reason to not believe it :P 

ishouldofjustsaidthateh?xD