Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
ShardofTruth

Official Wiki Planning Discussion Thread

Looking over the wiki I'm still unsure where to start.

First things first: Will new information from the Japanese version still be added and then slowly replaced by the NA version or are we simply focussing on the NA version now? Either way it would be good to know which pages are still based on the Japanese version and which pages have already been adjusted for the NA version. I don't think there will be many differences, but I can probably already name three: the Avatar Coins are awared in 4 and 6 pairs now, Guilt is unlocked after mission 200 instead of 350 and there will probably no Jack Skellington medal in the NA version.

Should Avatar Boards get their own pages or will they be listed? Should the Keyblade pages all look like the one for Divine Rose or a table/template route prefered? What information should be added to the mission pages besides the challanges and the materials? Enemies, world, maps, chests, etc.?

I know a lot of design questions are still in the air and things will often get changed when a better idea presents itself. It would still be good to know some general intentions before stepping on anyone's toes. :wink:

I'm going to make this thread the official discussion thread for all the Wiki editors and contributors. Post here all questions, ideas, suggestions, or basically anything pertaining to this project.

To answer your first question the wiki will aim to provide complete info for both but will have more focus to the NA side.

I think we will discuss all your other questions with everyone here and we'll plan everything out accordingly. We are striving for structured content writing goals soon.

tl;dr The main focus of our attention right now should be gathering and posting Avatar Boards and Keyblade information. Then the next biggest task is making the wiki look less bland, and finally updating existing pages to include NA information where it differs from the existing JP version info.

Once all of the NA hooplah has died down, updates regarding the Japanese release will continue (there are already 25 new missions and a new set of Zootopia event boards, and a new Keyblade coming this weekend). Where necessary, I'm noting differences, i.e. the NA version grants the Power Bangle upon completing Mission 200 rather than 350, but overall it's the same experience.

The NA mission requirements include 'defeat all enemies in 1 turn' way more often than the JP version does and the Avatar Coins are divvied up sightly differently, but everything else in the missions is the same. I haven't gone ahead and updated the mission requirements because I've been a little too busy to play, but if someone has already cleared up to mission 200, then they can take screenshots of the mission pages and update the pages. We should keep the JP version information, but put the NA info higher on each mission page, since more viewers will be looking for that.

I'd like to have the names of the maps on each page as well (and maybe someday, someone could stitch together full maps of all the areas; a girl can dream lol), locations of chests, where hidden enemies are, trivia, a summary of the mission's related cutscenes, if a rare raid boss sometimes appears there, etc.

I'd love it if there were templates or tables to organize the Keyblade information, but my code-fu is weak.

I'm slowly gathering as many screenshots of the Avatar Boards as I can, but I know I started to fill some in before I took a screenshot with all of the costs listed next to them (that goes double for the JP version), and I think I missed at least one board's corresponding Title Banner. orz

Something that a lot of people have been asking about through social media and groups is for a ranking system for the medals, so they know which ones to focus on. A lot of early Japanese-language KHUX pages were dedicated to creating a tier system for the resemara metagame, so people could start with the absolute strongest medal currently available--should we do something similar, or should we let the free market decide and then just report the consensus?

(There's also been excited talk about using the Wiki to also catalog info on KHX and Back Cover, but those will be tasks for another day.)

Edited by Katie Armstrong

The NA mission requirements include 'defeat all enemies in 1 turn' way more often than the JP version does and the Avatar Coins are divvied up sightly differently, but everything else in the missions is the same. I haven't gone ahead and updated the mission requirements because I've been a little too busy to play, but if someone has already cleared up to mission 200, then they can take screenshots of the mission pages and update the pages. We should keep the JP version information, but put the NA info higher on each mission page, since more viewers will be looking for that.

http://hikarimew.imgur.com/ I've screenshotted most of the missions here (All story, two tiers of coli and a few daily ones)

Excellent! If you'd like, you can go ahead and upload those screenshots to the Wiki, post them (just move the Japanese screenshots down to the Japanese info), and start transcribing the mission requirements.

Though, when I try to make an account on the KHUX wiki, the captcha refuses to load, giving an "Invalid domain for site key" error.

Though, when I try to make an account on the KHUX wiki, the captcha refuses to load, giving an "Invalid domain for site key" error.

Sorry, I had no idea, no one has mentioned it until now. It should be fixed now.

Please let me know if there's any other problems.

Nevermind, false alarm, lol

Some other people are still reporting captcha trouble. I don't know if they were having trouble last night and didn't try again today, or if the problem resurfaced.

Some other people are still reporting captcha trouble. I don't know if they were having trouble last night and didn't try again today, or if the problem resurfaced.

I let DC know so hopefully it will get resolved as soon as possible.

Another note, I'm unable to change the size of image thumbnails on images that were copied over via the maintenance script. New images that are uploaded can have their sizes adjusted, but old ones will display "Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination" any time I try to alter the existing |thumb|400px tag.

If we have to re-upload all of the images, that's kind of annoying but okay. Is there a way to mass upload images?

I think a good way to be organized is to organize a list of pages and ideas that need to be worked on, and then we check off the list one by one to ensure everything is completed. I feel that without some way to track progress, it feels out of whack. 

Two things I'd like to request:

(1) Scripts, including NPC in-mission chatter, for each mission. I've already discussed this with Sadako, and her suggestion was to have this as a section on each mission article. I'd like to further suggest that chatter be a transcluded template -- so, {{Mission 25: Explore the Dark Forest Pt. 1/Script}} would have all the text, in its proper formatting, and that template would be transcluded onto the Mission 25 article. The reason I think it should be done this way is so that we can -also- transclude all of these script minipages, together, in an appendix as a whole-game script.

(1a) Would people like the scripts to simply be names and stage directions, like the gamefaqs scripts, or would people prefer we include speaker profiles/headshot images, similar to the Marvel Wiki?

(2) Also, I'd like to ask if people can take screenshots for the tutorials (just to verify what they say), and if anyone has two phones, a readable/listenable recording of the non-repeatable intro cutscene.

If no one has any objections to these suggestions, now that I've cleared the first expansion I'm going to start writing up scripts in the manner I've described above.

EDIT: In response to the "make the wiki look less bland" thing above -- the KH Wiki is currently using a X/Unchained theme. Is there any objection to simply porting the relevant code to the Unchained wiki, so that it has the same appearance, or do people want them to be clearly visually differentiated?EDIT: Since it's a limited time event, I would definitely include the following info as quickly as possible on the wiki:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KingdomHearts/comments/4fcfl5/is_there_any_hope_of_completing_the_last_mickey/

https://www.reddit.com/r/KingdomHearts/comments/4fbnba/psaboth_gender_mickey_board_requires_a_total_of/

Edited by InperialManse

I think including too many headshots might get cluttered--perhaps a screenshot from the conversation on the relevant mission page, but just plain text for the overall script. Otherwise, we're going to be looking at 200 pictures of Aladdin on one page, lol.

I've got screenshots of the tutorial screens, and I recorded the intro with Kairi's grandmother telling the story, but not the union selection and such afterward.

I think the KHUX wiki should be visually distinct. The problem right now it's not visually distinct from Wikipedia, lol. We're also lacking a lot of flavor content-wise, but I'm sure we'll be able to fill that in as well (i.e. people who want to be more casual contributors can add interesting text and tag categories)

Sounds good. Also, I wanted to suggest that each Mission page list the rooms included, and what raid boss the mission summons.

EDIT: I've revised the first Mission article in line with the suggestions:

http://www.khunchainedx.com/wiki/Mission_1:_Prologue

TheSilentHero is revising the color scheme of the templates to make them look better. We also need some backend work done implementing tabs, table and div classes, image licensing, adding khw to the interwiki link table, and turning off the "new external link" captcha.

Edited by InperialManse

Wow, that looks awesome! Should I go through and transcribe all of the Japanese mission names to help clarify which set of requirements goes with which version? Or will it be broken up with NA/JP tabs (once tabs get implemented)?

TheSilentHero is revising the color scheme of the templates to make them look better. We also need some backend work done implementing tabs, table and div classes, image licensing, adding khw to the interwiki link table, and turning off the "new external link" captcha.

Tabs are implemented as far as I know, I installed the Tabber extension and activated it. eg. You can see it in action on http://www.khunchainedx.com/wiki/Donald_Ver._A Is anything else needed?

Do you know what other extensions I need to install? I installed ParserFunctions like TheSilentHero requested here, I think this covers the table and div classes and stuff. Not sure what I need to install or change for image licensing, let me know.

I've added khw to the interwiki table but for some reason the redirects don't work, any idea why?

I've turned off the "new external link" captcha for users with 10 edits or more.

For the image licenses, you need to add the licensing templates to the Mediawiki:Licenses page, but only admins/mods can edit Mediawiki pages. Here's KHWiki's Licenses page as an example: http://www.khwiki.com/MediaWiki:Licenses. I believe this wiki only has two licensing templates, Kingdom Hearts Wiki and Fairuse.

Ah I see, sure. I've added a simplified list of options to start off with.

Could you also add

**Kingdom Hearts Wiki|Copied from KHWiki

Also, I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but every time I go to the wiki on my phone, I am logged out. Does anyone know what causes this?

It's not a system thing, but if we could add something in the sitenotice directing editors and readers to information on the new events, that would do a lot to help traffic. In fact, if we just had a rotating front page listing of currently active events, similar to Bulbanews, that would make us a critical site very quickly. Basically, anyone looking for something to do who isn't adept at system-level coding should be directed towards making the event articles as complete and useful as possible, so that people can make the most of the event.We should probably also mention that the story mode just got expanded, meaning people can upgrade 1-2 more Keyblades (and if my guess is correct, finally meet Ephemera, tho I haven't gotten to that point yet).

Sadako or DChiuch would probably do good to advertise the wiki on reddit, as well, since that community has a lot of people eager to share information.

EDIT: Yay, Chrome just lost everything I had typed for no reason, because something on this page keeps trying to load. Great.

Okay, the gist of it was that, while wikia's tabber extension is nice, it's not nicely compatible with booleans like #if or #ifexist which are needed to  make more dynamic, generalized templates that can be used across the board. Because of that, I'd like to request that the divclass "tabbertab" be added as well. For front end ease of use, khwiki has "Template:Tab" which is very intuitive and doesn't require editors to deal with the long code needed for the tabbertab divclass, while still being compatible with booleans.

As far as the Mission 1 article is concerned, at this time I have no knowledge of whether JP and NA missions are 1:1; i.e., mission 57 is the same story mission in both games, with maybe slight changes in stats. Therefore, I coded the infobox to assume every single stat is different; if it turns out they're not, we can simplify that code a bit. One thing I did want to point out -- a lot of the articles list both NA and JP ap prices, but the NA prices seem to just be the "Half AP" that is currently going on, and will presumably end. If true, then it might be a good idea to just list the "actual" ap we'll have in a few months, and have the "AP" column title link to a description of such promotions.Also, the treasure table could be well served by having a Daybreak color scheme to parallel the Twilight one it's currently self-plagiarizing. Pastel blues, purples, pinks, that sort of thing, like what TSH did for the infobox already. Also, I'm not sure that we really need to show the mission select screens.

Edited by InperialManse

Could you also add

**Kingdom Hearts Wiki|Copied from KHWiki

Also, I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but every time I go to the wiki on my phone, I am logged out. Does anyone know what causes this?

I feel like credit is a distinct thing from a "license", and that it doesn't make sense to conflate the two. Is there a different way to make it really easy to credit KHWiki on the image pages? Could we just make a template and include it in the image descriptions?

I've installed http://www.khunchainedx.com/wiki/Special:UploadWizard so that we can upload a bunch of images at once and give them all the same license, description, etc – so I think this will be just as easy.

PS: Not sure about the logging out issue, is anyone else experiencing it?

It's not a system thing, but if we could add something in the sitenotice directing editors and readers to information on the new events, that would do a lot to help traffic. In fact, if we just had a rotating front page listing of currently active events, similar to Bulbanews, that would make us a critical site very quickly. Basically, anyone looking for something to do who isn't adept at system-level coding should be directed towards making the event articles as complete and useful as possible, so that people can make the most of the event.We should probably also mention that the story mode just got expanded, meaning people can upgrade 1-2 more Keyblades (and if my guess is correct, finally meet Ephemera, tho I haven't gotten to that point yet).

I think that's a great idea – once we get the Events pages up to a good standard then we should definitely do this.

In the meantime, I've embedded @KH13chi on the main page so that visitors can see what's going on in KHX. Please work with the KHX Team and encourage them to link to the wiki more and more (I will encourage them too), so that a lot of the tweets bring people back to the wiki.

Sadako or DChiuch would probably do good to advertise the wiki on reddit, as well, since that community has a lot of people eager to share information. EDIT: Yay, Chrome just lost everything I had typed for no reason, because something on this page keeps trying to load. Great.

We did quite a bit of advertising with the launch, with a full news article and posts on all of our social media channels (plus shared to reddit, I think). I don't want to spam those kinds of boards since they might consider it to be too much like advertising, but we should definitely be encouraging editors and users of the wiki alike to share it more. Also, after we complete a "milestone" on the wiki (eg. something like revamping the main page, or completing all of the medal pages, etc) we should definitely get the KH13 News Team / KHX Team to feature it in an article + social media posts.

I think the first such milestone will be making the main page more intuitive and useful for KHUX players. I've made a topic to discuss this: http://kh13.com/forum/topic/96341-the-main-page/

Okay, the gist of it was that, while wikia's tabber extension is nice, it's not nicely compatible with booleans like #if or #ifexist which are needed to  make more dynamic, generalized templates that can be used across the board. Because of that, I'd like to request that the divclass "tabbertab" be added as well. For front end ease of use, khwiki has "Template:Tab" which is very intuitive and doesn't require editors to deal with the long code needed for the tabbertab divclass, while still being compatible with booleans.

The ParserFunctions and Widgets extensions are enabled, so I think this should be possible for people to develop – if anyone needs access to anything, please let me know.

As far as the Mission 1 article is concerned, at this time I have no knowledge of whether JP and NA missions are 1:1; i.e., mission 57 is the same story mission in both games, with maybe slight changes in stats. Therefore, I coded the infobox to assume every single stat is different; if it turns out they're not, we can simplify that code a bit. One thing I did want to point out -- a lot of the articles list both NA and JP ap prices, but the NA prices seem to just be the "Half AP" that is currently going on, and will presumably end. If true, then it might be a good idea to just list the "actual" ap we'll have in a few months, and have the "AP" column title link to a description of such promotions.Also, the treasure table could be well served by having a Daybreak color scheme to parallel the Twilight one it's currently self-plagiarizing. Pastel blues, purples, pinks, that sort of thing, like what TSH did for the infobox already. Also, I'm not sure that we really need to show the mission select screens.

Will leave this stuff to others to cover.