Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Shulk

Two Men Arrested At Pokemon World Championships For Attempting To Massacre Participants

Police have arrested two individuals who seemed intent on massacring attendees at the 12th Pokémon World Championships in Boston.

27-year-old James Austin Stumbo and 18-year-old Kevin Norton - both of whom had been invited to play in the "Masters Division" of the tournament - had made threats of violence on Facebook, including one post which had a photo of the guns the pair intended to take along as well as the message: "Kevin Norton and I are ready for Worlds Boston here we come!!!" This post was apparently brought to the attention of the police.

Thankfully, the pair were stopped from entering the venue on Thursday when officers found firearms in the car that Stumbo and Norton had used to drive to the event from Iowa. Neither individual was able to supply a license to carry, but after being held, they were both released without charge. The car, however, was seized.

However, a thorough search of vehicle later revealed a shotgun, assault rifle, hunting rifle and 250 rounds of ammo, and the pair would be arrested on Friday night. They have now both been charged with unlawful possession of a firearm.

The Pokémon Company has issued the following statement:

Prior to the event this weekend, our community of players made us aware of a security issue. We gathered information and gave it as soon as possible to the authorities at the Hynes Veterans Memorial Convention Center who acted swiftly and spearheaded communication with the Boston Police Department.

Due to quick action, the potential threat was resolved. The Pokémon Company International takes the safety of our fans seriously and will continue to ensure proper security measures are a priority.

Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/08/potential_massacre_averted_at_pokemon_world_championships

Yeah... I don't really have much to say. I'm just happy that these two were arrested before they could kill anyone. I'll never understand why they heck they tried to do this.

They brought their own downfall by bragging about it on Facebook. Morons.

As stupid of a move as that was, I'm happy that the older one made the post, since if he hadn't... Well, things would have gone much worse. As someone who wants to participate in the World Championships one day, I'm happy to know that the security is so good. I just hope this won't happen again.

As stupid of a move as that was, I'm happy that the older one made the post, since if he hadn't... Well, things would have gone much worse. As someone who wants to participate in the World Championships one day, I'm happy to know that the security is so good. I just hope this won't happen again.

i agree, but seriously, they were dumb enough to take pictures of their weapons, then state where they were going in the post.

Well, they were 27 and 18, and they might've been smoking weed before making the post.

Yeah... wouldn't surprise me. I doubt anyone in the right mind could possibly go and publicly declare an attempt at murder.

Posted Image

What the firetruck planet.

Why do these people exist. It brings tears to my eyes of the dumbassery these dipshits bring to the world. Can't even play a damn Pokemon game in public anymore.

These two were actually participants, too. I have no clue why the heck they tried to pull this after putting in that much work to get to the PWC...

I'm so f*cking tired of this....first people taking guns to theaters and randomly shooting up the place, then lunatics sitting through Sunday church services and shooting the preacher and congregation afterwards, and now morons going to random Pokemon Tournaments and attempting to hurt people for no reason? God, I swear this world makes you not wanna go anywhere anymore.

Glad they caught the bastards. :/

Why would anyone want to shoot other people?

Murderous intent really makes me wonder how the brains of certain people work.

I'm glad nothing bad happened but it's really sad that such an event took place.

They probably took the fun out of everyone with their sick stupidity.

Posted Image

What the firetruck planet.

Why do these people exist. It brings tears to my eyes of the dumbassery these dipshits bring to the world. Can't even play a damn Pokemon game in public anymore.

I know right? It's terrifying. I go the the things called Grand Prixs for my favorite card game, Magic the Gathering and the though of something like that happening at one of those is horrific.

I can't fathom why people would want to do something like this. It was just people having fun playing a wonderful game. Why the hell would you want to hurt them? Makes me sad and confused.

Why would anyone want to shoot other people?Murderous intent really makes me wonder how the brains of certain people work.I'm glad nothing bad happened but it's really sad that such an event took place.They probably took the fun out of everyone with their sick stupidity.

You said it! People must be sick if they do such terrible things, I mean there were kids at this Pokemon Championship, for God's sake! What's so hard about having peace? I don't get it, and it makes me angry to hear such terrible news almost everyday. At least nothing bad happened this time. Edited by Felixx

You said it! People must be sick if they do such terrible things, I mean there were kids at this Pokemon Championship, for God's sake! What's so hard about having peace? I don't get it, and it makes me angry to hear such terrible news almost everyday. At least nothing bad happened this time.

Yep, and that's what matters the most. :)

Reading a bit more into this, it seems that they never really had the intent of shooting up anyone there. To be clear, these guys are dumbasses, and they absolutely deserved to be arrested, but I'm going to try to rationalize their thought process anyways, since people seem to be interested in that. Also, this is coming from an outsider's point of view, meaning I have near zero knowledge of the community, this event, these people, and what they actually intended, so take it with a grain of salt if need be.

Police have arrested two individuals who seemed intent on massacring attendees at the 12th Pokémon World Championships in Boston.

27-year-old James Austin Stumbo and 18-year-old Kevin Norton - both of whom had been invited to play in the "Masters Division" of the tournament - 

First, a little bit of background information on these two. Looking at the source Shulk provided, the article gave me this Youtube link, which is an interview of James Stumbo, who previously won 1st place in a previous tourney. He's knowledgeable about the game, and I assume Kevin is too, since they both are in the Master's Division. They aren't random people, they are involved in the Pokemon community.

had made threats of violence on Facebook, including one post which had a photo of the guns the pair intended to take along as well as the message: "Kevin Norton and I are ready for Worlds Boston here we come!!!" This post was apparently brought to the attention of the police.

The facebook page is down, but I found a picture of the guns on the back of the car here and the conversation here, if anyone wants to look at it. This is what alerted the police. Tone is not well conveyed through text at all, so it's really up to interpretation on what Kevin really intended to convey, but it is worrying enough to notify the police.

In my opinion, they were joking around. It seems to me that they just wanted to show off their guns to their friends at the event, with the sticker on the bumper of the car sporting a "National Rifle Association" logo and their track record of their involvement in the community.

From here on my evidence is based on other people's claims, since I don't have any experience myself with these things.

Here is the picture of what they brought with them to the event; it is also in the source Shulk posted if you want to confirm this is the real picture. Now, according to this person, the way they prepared to "kill" was very strange. One gun has a bunch of ammo while the other only has one magazine. Vunks replied that in Iowa, where the people who were arrested presumably lived, they didn't need a permit for both guns. That doesn't excuse the fact that they were ignorant of Massachusetts's laws, just an explanation.

So, here's the rundown. Kevin and James wanted to show off some guns to his online friends while they were all gathered for the event. James drives them there, with the guns in tow. Both do not think of the repercussions of bringing guns near a public event. Police caught wind of the supposed threats, and apparently searched their car. They found guns, and arrested the two when they didn't provide the permits required in Massachusetts. The officers went through the car more thoroughly, and found all the stuff, which prompted them to arrest the two. 

I might be completely wrong about this. For all I know they're sociopaths. But, based on what I've gathered, I came to the conclusion that these two were just pissing around, being idiotic and not careful about their actions. Uh, I feel like I put too much time into this, but here I am.

Why do these people threaten everyone's lives like this?! I seriously JUST got back into the TCG and they were going to kill innocent lives at one of the biggest events in the world...

And it's scary too, because if they hadn't posted on Facebook (or any site at that rate) then many lives would've been lost and who knows what else might've happened.

I know this may sound odd, and personally it's hard for me to believe this myself... But, what if they posted BECAUSE...

...they knew their minds were driven too far into darkness and sin to stop themselves, so they wanted to be reported by someone else?

As a Pokemon and Digimon fan, I truly am dissapointed by these two especially considering that they were both part of the "Masters' Division". What happened to them after playing the Pokemon TCG that made them want to do this?

This... Is alot to take in... I'm just relieved that everyone at the PWC's okay. :)

These two were actually participants, too. I have no clue why the heck they tried to pull this after putting in that much work to get to the PWC...

Probably desperate measure to pull a heist in case they lost............ughh every day you learn about something that makes you hate humans even more

No wonder lots of nihilists exist in fiction

I'm secretly glad they were moronic enough to spread out there stupid plans for the world to see, so no one got hurt. I'm avoiding all if any opinion blogs and news articles like the plague now because I can already tell what the clueless headliner(s) would be: "Two Terrorists Thwarted in A Pokemon TCG (The Cult Game) Inspired Massacre Plan" 

Edited by SmashLegendRiku

Snip

Agreed. I doubt they actually wanted to murder anyone and were complete idiots trying to show off. Even more stupid that they had thes guns with ammo. What the firetruck did they expect? They deserve the arrest, regardless if they did or did not have the intent to murder anyone as this is not acceptable, period.

Reading a bit more into this, it seems that they never really had the intent of shooting up anyone there. To be clear, these guys are dumbasses, and they absolutely deserved to be arrested, but I'm going to try to rationalize their thought process anyways, since people seem to be interested in that. Also, this is coming from an outsider's point of view, meaning I have near zero knowledge of the community, this event, these people, and what they actually intended, so take it with a grain of salt if need be.

First, a little bit of background information on these two. Looking at the source Shulk provided, the article gave me this Youtube link, which is an interview of James Stumbo, who previously won 1st place in a previous tourney. He's knowledgeable about the game, and I assume Kevin is too, since they both are in the Master's Division. They aren't random people, they are involved in the Pokemon community.

The facebook page is down, but I found a picture of the guns on the back of the car here and the conversation here, if anyone wants to look at it. This is what alerted the police. Tone is not well conveyed through text at all, so it's really up to interpretation on what Kevin really intended to convey, but it is worrying enough to notify the police.

In my opinion, they were joking around. It seems to me that they just wanted to show off their guns to their friends at the event, with the sticker on the bumper of the car sporting a "National Rifle Association" logo and their track record of their involvement in the community.

From here on my evidence is based on other people's claims, since I don't have any experience myself with these things.

Here is the picture of what they brought with them to the event; it is also in the source Shulk posted if you want to confirm this is the real picture. Now, according to this person, the way they prepared to "kill" was very strange. One gun has a bunch of ammo while the other only has one magazine. Vunks replied that in Iowa, where the people who were arrested presumably lived, they didn't need a permit for both guns. That doesn't excuse the fact that they were ignorant of Massachusetts's laws, just an explanation.

So, here's the rundown. Kevin and James wanted to show off some guns to his online friends while they were all gathered for the event. James drives them there, with the guns in tow. Both do not think of the repercussions of bringing guns near a public event. Police caught wind of the supposed threats, and apparently searched their car. They found guns, and arrested the two when they didn't provide the permits required in Massachusetts. The officers went through the car more thoroughly, and found all the stuff, which prompted them to arrest the two. 

I might be completely wrong about this. For all I know they're sociopaths. But, based on what I've gathered, I came to the conclusion that these two were just pissing around, being idiotic and not careful about their actions. Uh, I feel like I put too much time into this, but here I am.

Okay, this is a bit different than I was initially thinking, but if this was the case and they were really just wanting to show the guns off to friends I suppose that's not as bad.  I still don't think they should've done it, but still . . . .  It's hard to say for sure what they were intending, but this explanation makes a bit more sense and puts my mind at ease.  I was going to be downright disturbed if these people actually thought they were going to lead a massacre at a Pokemon event; how horrible that would've been. : (

Edited by Mystics Apprentice

Vaguely related to the topic but are you shulkvgc12 on nuggetbridge?