Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Skai

Look Up

Excellent video!

Speaking of general psychiatric health; technology is partially to blame for the increasing rates of social isolation in the population which then plays a role with depression. By social isolation, I speak of in real life isolation - having 5000 friends on fb or 20000 followers or subs on youtube or whatever social media people use these days doesn't neccessarily mean you are not isolated.

Its all very controversial but I'm glad you posted this up Alice!

The video reminds us that we are not digital beings and that there is 'life' offline too!

"YADDA YADDA YADDA TECHNOLOGY IS BAD WAHHHHH!"

Yeah firetruck that, if it weren't for Facebook or internet in general I wouldn't be able to keep in contact with some of my friends who've had to move away and they all mean a LOT to me. If it weren't for the connection technology gives us, I wouldn't be able to plan meeting up with them once more. People need to stop being so sour over technology just because of how frequent it may be used, the "lesson" has been done to death and at this point anyone who speaks up against technology is just trying to place themselves above others because they're "better" for not relying on it as much.

"YADDA YADDA YADDA TECHNOLOGY IS BAD WAHHHHH!"

Yeah firetruck that, if it weren't for Facebook or internet in general I wouldn't be able to keep in contact with some of my friends who've had to move away and they all mean a LOT to me. If it weren't for the connection technology gives us, I wouldn't be able to plan meeting up with them once more. People need to stop being so sour over technology just because of how frequent it may be used, the "lesson" has been done to death and at this point anyone who speaks up against technology is just trying to place themselves above others because they're "better" for not relying on it as much.

I think you're missing the point of the video. It's not trying to convince people that technology is evil, but rather that an unnecessary dependance on technology is evil.

Our lives are undeniably improved in every way by this technology; all of the things you mentioned are great benefits. And yet at the same time, we've taken this gift and turned it from what was supposed to be a supplement into a necessity. What he says in the video about children is especially true, so many have been born around this kind of technology and it's saturating their lives.

I'm not saying that this is an issue that began with smartphones and social media; I'm certain there are plenty of people here who grew up playing video games in their house alone and were perfectly happy with that. However, I'm sure most of us also remember going over to our friend's houses to play with their games and toys, or having them come over to play with ours. In today's society, this isn't necessary. We can connect with others wirelessly, making personal interaction more of an inconvenience then it's ever been.

Again, this too has its benefits. Like you said, it allows us to interact with people we wouldn't have been able to before, and cuts down on having to travel. But as the age old rule holds, so long as something exists, someone will try to corrupt it. (Anyone who's seen the general chat of any online game will know what I mean.)

Overall, I think you're right. Technology is not an evil thing, but we've made it something that we rely on more than we should. In the words of the immortal, the unstoppable, Hal 9000: "... It has always been attributable to human error." We made technology, but in turn we've allowed technology to make us. It defines us, drives us, and it makes us do strange things.

I don't think we should be demonizing technology, but then again we shouldn't just ignore a problem that's clearly impacted so many people (I find it pretty unlikely that the guy who made this video wasn't speaking from personal experience.)

Edited by Arcmin

I think you're missing the point of the video. It's not trying to convince people that technology is evil, but rather that an unnecessary dependance on technology is evil.

Our lives are undeniably improved in every way by this technology; all of the things you mentioned are great benefits. And yet at the same time, we've taken this gift and turned it from what was supposed to be a supplement into a necessity. What he says in the video about children is especially true, so many have been born around this kind of technology and it's saturating their lives.

I'm not saying that this is an issue that began with smartphones and social media; I'm certain there are plenty of people here who grew up playing video games in their house alone and were perfectly happy with that. However, I'm sure most of us also remember going over to our friend's houses to play with their games and toys, or having them come over to play with ours. In today's society, this isn't necessary. We can connect with others wirelessly, making personal interaction more of an inconvenience then it's ever been.

Again, this too has its benefits. Like you said, it allows us to interact with people we wouldn't have been able to before, and cuts down on having to travel. But as the age old rule holds, so long as something exists, someone will try to corrupt it. (Anyone who's seen the general chat of any online game will know what I mean.)

Overall, I think you're right. Technology is not an evil thing, but we've made it something that we rely on more than we should. In the words of the immortal, the unstoppable, Hal 9000: "... It has always been attributable to human error." We made technology, but in turn we've allowed technology to make us. It defines us, drives us, and it makes us do strange things.

I don't think we should be demonizing technology, but then again we shouldn't just ignore a problem that's clearly impacted so many people (I find it pretty unlikely that the guy who made this video wasn't speaking from personal experience.)

Taking a better look at the video, I agree. You're right on the video's message and intentions but when I first started watching it, early on it came off the way I said earlier so I stopped watching. I probably shouldn't have done that--my bad.