Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
Chronomagister

Can Darkness be good/ Can light be Evil?

Here's the way i see it. Neither light or darkness are good nor evil. They are merely sources of energy that are opposites of each other but not necessarily against each other. The reason why darkness is fought against is because of a stigma coming from evil things hiding in the dark, not the darkness being evil itself. 

Both entities can be used to empower or corrupt people ex. Masters Eraqus and Xehanort. Blinded by the light that he cant accept anything else but his own prejudiced view of the world around him and corrupted by the darkness that all he wants is power to obtain more control over it.

What i want there to be in KHIII is there to be a conversation between the guardians of light (whoever they may be) and MX and his clones concerning the morality of their decisions to cast aside the darkness inside them, a part of their hearts that makes them whole. Not to make them doubtful and question themselves on what they're path will show them, but to show what could be if they weren't so biased on the light's behalf. They beat the XIII darkness's blah blah blah... but that question still lingers at the end of their mind at the end of the game.

Now in KHIV (where i'll be 60 when it comes out [i'm 21]) and maybe KHV (70) where they want to expand on the new story, I want there to be a villain who is only exclusive to light's powers and has a very twisted view of serving the light's "will". That would make him sort of like a Judge Claude Frollo type of villain that sees darkness in EVERY HEART except his own (he's light's 'champion' so he must not have darkness in him) that every heart and its owner must be destroyed (even someone who's darkness is as small as Sora's). He would kidnap the 7 princesses of light but in his mind he's rescuing them from a tainted world. That would show them that darkness is not as evil as they thought and the light in the same vein as being the ultimate good. Its the person who's using the ability that is evil or good. That would make a great story after the Xehanort Saga.

Screw it.  I'll just make a book out if it.

I totally agree with you, i also think that neither darkness nor light is bad or good. You can use the light and the darkness for good or bad, but that only makes the user good or evil, that has nothing to do with the light and the darkness.

As you said, Eraqus was blinded by light and the smallest piece of darkness scared him.

And also Riku for example uses his darkness for good things.

I totally agree with you, i also think that neither darkness nor light is bad or good. You can use the light and the darkness for good or bad, but that only makes the user good or evil, that has nothing to do with the light and the darkness.

As you said, Eraqus was blinded by light and the smallest piece of darkness scared him.

And also Riku for example uses his darkness for good things.

I ain't scared of anything!

I totally agree with you, i also think that neither darkness nor light is bad or good. You can use the light and the darkness for good or bad, but that only makes the user good or evil, that has nothing to do with the light and the darkness. As you said, Eraqus was blinded by light and the smallest piece of darkness scared him. And also Riku for example uses his darkness for good things.

Exactly. Light and darkness are just essences people use to get what they wantwhat they think is right. Light and dark are nil, neutral, not leaning towards one side or the other.

Final Fantasy 3 actually did a pretty good job with this trope, where it was explicitly said in the backstory that there was a time when the force of light grew too powerful and started to engulf everything so they had to call forth the 4 warriors of darkness to pacify it.

I can understand why light / dark always tends to be good vs evil since it's a really simple idea, but it's always cool if they can somehow manage to inverse that trope. They already kinda did it with Riku embracing the darkness for a good cause now.

I think the series tries to present light and darkness as neutral entities that can't exist without the other, but at the end of the day the story falls back on light = good and dark = evil. All the bad things that's happened has in some way involved people manipulating darkness. The pureblood Heartless originate from the Realm of Darkness; the emblem Heartless came from manipulating the darkness in peoples' hearts, with Ansem's apprentices themselves getting corrupted by darkness in the process; villains like Maleficent and her crew embrace darkness; Vanitas is a being of pure darkness and is a bad guy opposed to the heroic Ventus's light; and the 13 Seekers of Darkness will ruin everything if the 7 Lights don't stop them.

Riku sounds more like an odd exception than the rule, as does Eraqus -- but notice that part of Riku's overcoming of his darkness involved turning towards the light (metaphorically and literally, as he gains some light-based powers later on if I recall), and Eraqus admits there might be darkness in his heart too. The heroes stick to light and the villains are involved with darkness somehow. If they're trying to showcase that light and darkness are ultimately neutral entities that can be used for good or evil, the evidence is really stacked against them. If they really wanna throw the light = good and dark = evil thing for a loop, they'd need a truly light-aligned villain and a dark-aligned hero, and so far we don't have that.

If the Princesses of Heart cannot have darkness in their Hearts, does that mean they are corrupted by the Light?

The PoH might be a special case. It's probably not a corruption of light, so much as it is the absense of darkness. Besides, it'd be a cold day in Disney when Snow White turns into a well-intentioned extremist meant to take over the worlds for everyone's own good.

"Denizens of light, answer this: Why do you hate the darkness?"- xemnas

"Aw, we don't hate it. It's just kinda...scary. But the world's made of light AND darkness. You can't have one without the other, 'cause darkness is half of everything. Sorta makes ya wonder why we are scared of the dark."- mickey

"It's because of who's lurking inside it." -riku

Exactly. Darkness can be used for good (Like Riku displays often) And Light can be used for bad (Eraqus's prejudice). However, the "both forces are equal" message can become a little blurred within this series....For example, in Chi X, Kairi's grandmother tells the story of how once upon a time there was no Darkness anywhere, and everyone lived happily in the Light. This seems to suggest that Light is the only true way, doesn't it? I guess it depends on your own philosophy....

As much as darkness is sometimes presented as a good thing in KH, it's not. It's ultimately a corrupting force that constantly threatens to overtake the user

Light fits more into the source of energy thing, light hasn't been shown to purify people or have any sort of "positive corruption" it's basically just there for lasers and destroying darkness, so Eraqus using it to kill someone isn't really related to the light, but him as a person.

Granted, even then, on a broad scale, Eraqus' reasons for using the light to kill Ven were just. If he'd succeeded, the worlds wouldn't have been thrown into darkness over the next ten years