Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Klonoa the Dream Traveler

Are you against emulators?

Emulators has been loved and hated by the public. Many people say emulators is a way playing games illegally. While others, says that emulators let's people play games they love for free instead of paying for a console and the game. (Which may be over +100 dollars to play your game legally.) Anyway, are you against or with emulators? Basically, do you like playing your game legally or not?

It depends, for me.

On one hand, I hate not supporting the Devs.

On the other, there are scalpers that up charge you for every penny they can suck dry from you.

So it'd sort of a balance. I say when a game is very dificult to find and expensive, but is also not being made anymore and hasn't been for a few years, sure, emulate. The Devs aren't getting the money for it, anyway. Same with older consoles, a good chunk of the cash you pay to the person who owned it first isn't often landing in the pockets of Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo. If they were selling the game (I.E. the original Fire Emblem or Earthbound since Nintendo are selling them) in some mannor, then no, it's not fine to emulate as it's avalable and it's purchase supports the Devs.

But when the purchase won't support the devs, or in the case of Mother 1/3, KH final mixes pre 1.5/2.5, and other limited runs of content which are witheld from others, they(the devs)obviously don't care about how you obtain the game and you wanna play it, if the company dosen't have a copy to sell to you, then have at.

Edited by Guest

I only play games I own, like KH2FM, Pokémon Sapphire, R&C. I have real copy of all of them. Emulators give freedom to use cheats and have fun with the game :D

I only play with emulators when I don't have a copy of the game, and don't feel like going off my way to try and find a physical copy of the game, when my console doesn't even work xD

*CoughMetroidFusionCough

Yes, I am. If the developers are putting months/years into a game, I'm going to support their hard work and buy their games legally. I can kind of understand people emulating certain games (Mother 1/3 and other games that were never released outside of Japan, really), but I do believe that developers deserve something for their work. Might be part of the mentality of being someone who wants to go into game development, but that's how I see it. I also prefer playing a game on the system it was meant to be played on, so there's that, too.

Edited by Akame

No. Emulators gives old games new life, and sometimes they do really old cd-rom/floppy disc games. 

Seems like a good idea to me, so long as the games are legally bought, but downloading them off unauthorized sites isn't something I can back. 

To get back to the point, no, I have no issue with them. 

Not really. Reasons being are such as several stated by members above, as well as rare, but occasional bad dubbing in video games. Haven't encountered any for quite a while, but one notably being one of my favorite franchises having voices for every special move or transformation I did, I had to back up my save and download a patch that replaced the dub with the Japanese voices. 

I only emulate when developers have no plans to bring over a game, and since most of the games overseas I want to play are on Nintendo consoles I'm either forced to play them illegally *glares at Mother 3* or buy a whole new system because of region locking *extra glares at Taiko Wii U*. Also, Nintendo is never getting Conker or Banjo Kazooie back, so torrenting those games won't be stealing from anybody. However, I condone any other excuse to use emulators if it just means getting new games for free.

They preserve game history, and most games can't be bought in a way that supports developers. Often when they are released digitally it's for a pretty unfair price, too.

Even if you emulate something that CAN make a company money, it's giving them exposure that makes the person more likely to actually buy one of their future games day one

I emulated Chain of Memories back in the day and I've since purchased it physically.

The only games I emulate are Gameboy/Colour/Advance titles. I don't do it often, but I'm not against it. I still purchase GBA titles on the Wii U Virtual Console from time to time so it's hardly like I'm a hardcore pirate or something.

I do however still emulate certain GBA titles on my smartphone. It's the best way to enjoy the Final Fantasy VI on mobile after all.