Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Mystics Apprentice

Chrono Cross players, gather around!

I had wanted to play this game immediately after completing Chrono Trigger, but didn't do it because at the time I didn't own a PlayStation. Last year I was gifted the game and finally got around to playing it lately. I'm near the end, and overall I really like it. True, it doesn't hold a candle to Chrono Trigger, but I'm enjoying the plot for the most part.

Fellow players, what did you think of the game? What aspects of it did you like or dislike? Personally I disliked how long and repetitive the battles were, as well as how many characters you can acquire (too many!).

Edited by Mystics Apprentice

I'm in the process of playing through it still (I got maybe halfway through disc one on my PSP, but decided to start a new game on my PS3 recently), but I love what I've played so far. As you said, it's not as good as Trigger, but it's a lot of fun. I love the combat system and characters, personally. The combat has a nice level of strategy behind it, and the different characters are all really cool in my opinion.

It's an interesting enough game. Don't like how they destroyed every good ending in Chrono Trigger to make it happen, and the focus on TONNES of party members limits how fleshed out characters can be, but it's definitely still one of the better Square RPGs

Never played it, probably never will.

that's a shame, you're missing a pretty major piece of Sqaure Enix history

It's an interesting enough game. Don't like how they destroyed every good ending in Chrono Trigger to make it happen, and the focus on TONNES of party members limits how fleshed out characters can be, but it's definitely still one of the better Square RPGs

Chrono Cross? How? And not my fault, one of those games that never came out in PAL regions.

It's an interesting enough game. Don't like how they destroyed every good ending in Chrono Trigger to make it happen, and the focus on TONNES of party members limits how fleshed out characters can be, but it's definitely still one of the better Square RPGs that's a shame, you're missing a pretty major piece of Sqaure Enix history

It's an interesting enough game. Don't like how they destroyed every good ending in Chrono Trigger to make it happen, and the focus on TONNES of party members limits how fleshed out characters can be, but it's definitely still one of the better Square RPGs that's a shame, you're missing a pretty major piece of Sqaure Enix history

It did destroy most of the good endings, but it did solve a lot of unsolved mysteries of the first game, it also did that rare thing that sequels do where it discusses the consequences of the original games adventures, overall, I loved it, though honestly, it would have been better off not being tied to the "chrono" series and should have been its own thing.

Oh, wow, it's so cool to see how many people have played and enjoyed the game here on this site.  It seems that the majority of gamers that I speak to these days hadn't even heard of Chrono Trigger, which I find so sad because I feel that it was one of the very best games that Square ever came out with.  I'm approaching the final dungeon in Chrono Cross now, and I must say that I just love where the story went!  I felt that too much time was kind of wasted in the battles and the extremely long scenes for element effects, but the plot is making up for it.  I also really love how it ties events back to Chrono Trigger.

Does anyone have any favorite characters?  Mine would definitely be Harle, followed by Karsh and perhaps Sheena.  I wish that I had gotten Glenn, but ah well.

I hear you about all of those party members.  There are WAY too many, which kind of ruined it for me.  I'm the kind of person who loves to even out party members as I go along, like you mentioned, but with 20-something characters you have to pick your favorites and level them up, pretty much.  I tried to alternate at first, but because you can't change Serge (and he's obviously going to be higher than everyone else) I just decided to stick it out between five or so characters.  Now I have a stellar team and it works well.  Overall I agree that it's an amazing game, and while I don't love it as much as the first I would definitely rank it up there.

Chrono Cross? How? And not my fault, one of those games that never came out in PAL regions.

That really stinks.  I'm sorry that it's the case. : (  Have you played Chrono Trigger?  It's definitely a good game, and I wish there were some way that you could play it.  Do you think that they'll release it on the PSN eventually?

It did destroy most of the good endings, but it did solve a lot of unsolved mysteries of the first game, it also did that rare thing that sequels do where it discusses the consequences of the original games adventures, overall, I loved it, though honestly, it would have been better off not being tied to the "chrono" series and should have been its own thing.

Yeah!  Definitely!  I really liked how the game delves into the consequences of the heroes' actions from the first game.  That was really cool to see, and I loved how all of the mysterious at the beginning of the game were solved in Chronopolis, as well as tying in events from the original.  In a way, I'm still kind of glad that it is within the same series as Chrono Trigger because I love all of the references made, but one thing that I wish they did was place the game on the same continent/world (it would've been nice to visit Guardia).

Oh, wow, it's so cool to see how many people have played and enjoyed the game here on this site.  It seems that the majority of gamers that I speak to these days hadn't even heard of Chrono Trigger, which I find so sad because I feel that it was one of the very best games that Square ever came out with.  I'm approaching the final dungeon in Chrono Cross now, and I must say that I just love where the story went!  I felt that too much time was kind of wasted in the battles and the extremely long scenes for element effects, but the plot is making up for it.  I also really love how it ties events back to Chrono Trigger.

Does anyone have any favorite characters?  Mine would definitely be Harle, followed by Karsh and perhaps Sheena.  I wish that I had gotten Glenn, but ah well.

I hear you about all of those party members.  There are WAY too many, which kind of ruined it for me.  I'm the kind of person who loves to even out party members as I go along, like you mentioned, but with 20-something characters you have to pick your favorites and level them up, pretty much.  I tried to alternate at first, but because you can't change Serge (and he's obviously going to be higher than everyone else) I just decided to stick it out between five or so characters.  Now I have a stellar team and it works well.  Overall I agree that it's an amazing game, and while I don't love it as much as the first I would definitely rank it up there.

That really stinks.  I'm sorry that it's the case. : (  Have you played Chrono Trigger?  It's definitely a good game, and I wish there were some way that you could play it.  Do you think that they'll release it on the PSN eventually?

Yeah!  Definitely!  I really liked how the game delves into the consequences of the heroes' actions from the first game.  That was really cool to see, and I loved how all of the mysterious at the beginning of the game were solved in Chronopolis, as well as tying in events from the original.  In a way, I'm still kind of glad that it is within the same series as Chrono Trigger because I love all of the references made, but one thing that I wish they did was place the game on the same continent/world (it would've been nice to visit Guardia).

Nah, I haven't. The DS version is too hard to find. I doubt it, Square Enix isn't big on import titles via PS Store.

Nah, I haven't. The DS version is too hard to find. I doubt it, Square Enix isn't big on import titles via PS Store.

oh okay yeah no

you can get away with not playing Cross, but Chrono Trigger is one of the most important and best games out there. You HAVE to play that

oh okay yeah no

you can get away with not playing Cross, but Chrono Trigger is one of the most important and best games out there. You HAVE to play that

I would if you could still buy the game. Lol.

So, I finally beat the game yesterday and now I'm wondering how many endings are possible?  I had . . . .

Successfully used the Chrono Cross and unlocked Schala from her slumber, however she only offered some words of wisdom, said Serge would lose his memories, farewells, and then Serge awoke on Opassa Beach alongside Leena as though nothing had ever happened.  There was the storybook, along with text as in a letter or journal entry written by Kid, saying that they would one day meet again and all that jazz, but that was pretty much it.  The credits, and then "fin."

I was rather disappointed by the ending, as I felt everything had so much potential and then it just ended, even though I used the Chrono Cross in battle and everything.  So much remained unanswered (where was Janus? The rest of the crew?), and a true epilogue for the characters would've been really nice.