Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
DChiuch

I'm back + Administrator Ask Me Anything (DChiuch AMA II)

1.whens the update?

2. i and MANY others keep getting redirected to other sites. it happened again today

3. how was the pizza in Europe? 

4. is it true we can like status updates after the update

5. can you make the like quota longer? me and several others keep wanting to like stuff but then we reach the limit 

Hey its Aaron, feel free to ask me anything you like in this thread aswell. Yes I know most of you have no idea who I am haha!

Ahh, Co-Webmaster Aaron. It is good to see you among our ranks as well! :)

I must ask: What do you think of KH13 nowadays? Is it better than it was when it first came around?

Also, Joke Question: Y U NEVER DO STUFF? DX

Did DC just join trend Riki make? Riki make this months ago... 

In actuality, I do not speak like that.

Anyhow, as I have previously heard, supposedly you met up with Weedanort in Portugal (From what I heard), and I'm wondering, is he as big a personality IRL as he is on the site?

1.whens the update?

2. i and MANY others keep getting redirected to other sites. it happened again today

3. how was the pizza in Europe? 

4. is it true we can like status updates after the update

5. can you make the like quota longer? me and several others keep wanting to like stuff but then we reach the limit 

1. It depends on a lot of things. For one, I have to wait before IPS Community Suite (formerly IP.Board) 4.0 is released. IPS4.0 has currently reached a "release candidate", but hasn't shipped the final version-- meaning it's probably good enough for us to use on a live site, but they provide no guarantee that it won't have bugs. That's not all though, I still have a lot to do in terms of developing on their platform, before we have something that would be worthy of KH13 v4 (for those that don't know, the "update" we're talking about is a major KH13 redesign, which will be the 4th major new iteration of the website).

IPS have what I think is a good phrase when it comes to release dates, which is "when it's ready"-- it's hard to imagine if you haven't developed software before, but it is extremely hard to predict when you'll have a piece of software done by. The amount of time that it takes to develop software is very unpredictable, because the bulk of the time isn't spent making the thing, it's instead spent fixing bugs with the thing-- I might spend a single day making the new video archive, and then 5 whole days fixing 5 annoying insignificant bugs that by themselves aren't much of an issue at all, but overall make for a buggy, unpleasant experience for a lot of people.

But anyway, I digress, it depends on IPS4.0's release date (which was originally *supposed* to be late 2013, but here we are), how long it takes me to develop the things we need on top of IPS4.0 (such as the video archive and so on), how long it takes me to port all of our content over, how much free time I have over the following weeks, how good my state of mind is, ie. if I feel up to working on personal projects and can find motivation, etc etc. There's a lot to consider so I'm thinking maybe 1-2 months?

I expect this isn't the answer that a lot of you want, so I'm very sorry for all delays-- but this is why it's been a kind of behind-the-scenes thing and never officially publicly announced. I won't officially announce it until I definitely-for-sure have a release date in mind. Also, I'm letting the update drag on rather than working to a release date/schedule, because I feel like if I'm to do a major overhaul to the website, it should feel complete and not a work-in-progress.

2. Last time this was a Google AdSense problem, which I believe was fixed but it sounds like it is happening again. Whenever this happens, please send me a PM with all website URLs involved and I'll forward the information on to Google AdSense so that they can fix it.

3. I'm not a fan, really. I don't like the idea of the thin, hard bread with ingredients spread conservatively. It was still nice, but -- and this is going to sound uncultured and like I have no taste, but -- give me a greasy American-style pizza over that any day. :P

4. It's true.

5. I'll do this when the update happens.

1. how was europe

2. whered you go there?

Like I said before, I think it's more fun to answer specific things about Europe rather than give a super lengthy response detailing everything about my trip, so I'll just tackle the 2nd question. :)

I started with my friend Gemma in Paris for a week, then met up with my friend Georgia in Leeds (in England) who was doing a semester of exchange at uni, spent a week in London, back to Leeds and did a day trip to York, flew to Barcelona for a week, then back to Paris to re-meet up with Georgia, who had now finished her semester. And then we had a month left to go around continental Europe on train, where we saw-- Luxembourg, Bruges, Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Venice, Florence, Pisa, Rome. Finally, made our way back to Paris through Amsterdam to get our plane home.

Hey everyone, I'm back! Just before New Year's I announced that I'd be taking a break from KH13 for January and February to travel around Europe, and sadly that's finally over -- but maybe happily for you guys, this means I've returned. :P I'm really happy to see that all of the staff members did such a good job of running the site while I was gone, and I'm looking forward to getting a bit more involved here over the next couple of weeks-- I'm still re-adjusting to life at home and have the 2nd year of my Masters starting this week, but I'm going to do my best! Since I'm back after my first long break from KH13, I thought it would be a good idea to jump on the bandwagon and do an AMA-- that is, an "ask me anything" where you can ask me whatever you want about KH13 or about myself. If you're new and don't know me, let me introduce myself briefly-- I created KH13 in 2008 along with Aaron (who I'm hoping will join us-- so maybe make some questions directed at him and we can drag him in :P), have been running the website ever since, and right now am studying software engineering at university. So yeah, go ahead and ask away! My first AMA for reference (oh God, that was 2 and a half years ago :| )

Are you rivals with KHinsider?

Is it ever stressful managing a website like KH13?

Not really, although it can/could be-- In terms of making things for the website, since it's just a personal project, there's no "boss" or anyone providing deadlines or demanding that I do things to a certain quality. If I don't do things as well as I could have, I'm only really letting down myself. So I guess a bit of stress could come from there, ie. in the past I used to get really into the traffic stats for the website and would obsess over it and work really hard to get those stats up, but I'd say that's more of a personal issue rather than KH13 itself causing stress. And it wasn't exactly "stress", it was just really wanting to make something that was successful and good. I don't think that counts as stress unless it causes you to be in a bad state of mind, and it didn't, it was rewarding.

Of course I'm not just answering to myself, I'm also answering to the whole KH13 community, but overall I would say that our community is a very nice, appreciative group of people, so again this makes it rewarding rather than stressful. This is also thanks to our great staff member groups, who work really hard to make sure that everything on the site is running smoothly.

It can be stressful when I have disagreements and arguments with people on the website, but again, I don't think this is a KH13 thing-- it's just something that you always have to deal with when working with other people.

Did DC just join trend Riki make? Riki make this months ago...

In actuality, I do not speak like that.

Anyhow, as I have previously heard, supposedly you met up with Weedanort in Portugal (From what I heard), and I'm wondering, is he as big a personality IRL as he is on the site?

I didn't get time to visit Portugal unfortunately! Here's where I went: http://kh13.com/forum/topic/84926-im-back-administrator-ask-me-anything-dchiuch-ama-ii/?p=1614883

First off, WELCOME BACK! Second off, what Uni do you go to?

Peace!

I'm studying a Master of Engineering (Software) at the University of Melbourne

http://kh13.com/forum/topic/83290-official-kh13com-chair/

Please talk about the chair. Haha.

Not much to say, it was at a contemporary art museum in Paris and I thought that you guys would appreciate it