Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Fates Chance XIII

Who is the saddest/ most tragic character in KH?

Of all the characters, who is it to you?

I personally think its Roxas. He lived only long enough to become his own person, make friends and memories, then be forced to disappear. I do think that given enough time, he would've followed Xion and gone back willingly, but the fact that he was not only forced to, but also intended to not be told makes me tear up a bit. I hated that DiZ thought a blissful dream would make up for it. Could you imagine how scary a death that would've been? To think you were an ordinary boy, then be taken away and forced to what in your mind equated to die for no reason that you knew. I think if he had been told from the start that he wouldn't disappear but be whole, and given time he would've accepted and come to sora willingly. And to think that the only reason this didn't happen is because of DiZs impatience and hatred for nobodies and his apprentices made me hate him quite a bit. When he apologized to Roxas in KH2, I actually got a bit teary eyed. I flat out cried first time Roxas disappeared, and hated Sora for a bit of the first part of the game because I didn't really understand all the story yet and thought it was selfish to sacrifice Roxas to wake up. I don't think Sora would've wanted this either, do you? Wanted a life to end so he could keep living? It doesn't seem like Sora to do that. 

But that's just me, who is it for you?

Of all the characters, who is it to you?

I personally think its Roxas. He lived only long enough to become his own person, make friends and memories, then be forced to disappear. I do think that given enough time, he would've followed Xion and gone back willingly, but the fact that he was not only forced to, but also intended to not be told makes me tear up a bit. I hated that DiZ thought a blissful dream would make up for it. Could you imagine how scary a death that would've been? To think you were an ordinary boy, then be taken away and forced to what in your mind equated to die for no reason that you knew. I think if he had been told from the start that he wouldn't disappear but be whole, and given time he would've accepted and come to sora willingly. And to think that the only reason this didn't happen is because of DiZs impatience and hatred for nobodies and his apprentices made me hate him quite a bit. When he apologized to Roxas in KH2, I actually got a bit teary eyed. I flat out cried first time Roxas disappeared, and hated Sora for a bit of the first part of the game because I didn't really understand all the story yet and thought it was selfish to sacrifice Roxas to wake up. I don't think Sora would've wanted this either, do you? Wanted a life to end so he could keep living? It doesn't seem like Sora to do that. 

But that's just me, who is it for you?

"No... Roxas, you're you. We're not the same. I wanted to tell you that; that you deserve just as much as I do to be your own person."

Indeed, Roxas is the most tragic character in the series, closely followed by Xion. He tried so hard to prevent his fate, but in the end he realised that he had to return to Sora. And yeah, I kinda hated DiZ/Ansem the Wise too for a little bit just because he thought he could trick Roxas, but he was going to find out eventually anyway. That Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix exclusive scene after the Roxas Boss fight... the one showing Axel and Roxas sharing one last Sea Salt Ice Cream... and Axel shed a tear... : That was heart-wrenching. Roxas NEEDS to return will all his badassery in Kingdom Hearts III. He MUST!

Peace!

(Prepares for hate)

Xion.

Nothing but a puppet, allowed only a few days to really be happy with her friends before everything came crashing down, and finally defeated by the only person she had left. Confused, scared, not even holding her own shape, just a mirror to memories not her own, all to simply "die" (in a way) at the end of a very short road. 

Even though Roxas is pretty tragic, I think Xion is the worst off of the whole KH series: Even Terra, Aqua, and Ventus are "alive" in various senses of the word, but Xion never truly "was" to be alive nor dead.

It's actually pretty dark for Disney: the idea of your own persona being nothing but false memories and mirror images from the second you come into existence. 

(Prepares for hate)

Xion.

Nothing but a puppet, allowed only a few days to really be happy with her friends before everything came crashing down, and finally defeated by the only person she had left. Confused, scared, not even holding her own shape, just a mirror to memories not her own, all to simply "die" (in a way) at the end of a very short road. 

Even though Roxas is pretty tragic, I think Xion is the worst off of the whole KH series: Even Terra, Aqua, and Ventus are "alive" in various senses of the word, but Xion never truly "was" to be alive nor dead.

It's actually pretty dark for Disney: the idea of your own persona being nothing but false memories and mirror images from the second you come into existence. 

All of this, And the fact that she was created with the sole purpose of vanishing in the first place, Either she absorbs Roxas and becomes the new Sora, or he absorbs her with the same effect. Plus, unlike Namine and Roxas and even the Riku Replica, no one even remembers her.

Edited by Isamu_Kuno

(Prepares for hate)

Xion.

This. All of this...

For crying out loud, even her theme title has the word 'sadness' in it xP

All of this, And the fact that she was created with the sole purpose of vanishing in the first place, Either she absorbs Roxas and becomes the new Sora, or he absorbs her with the same effect. Plus, unlike Namine and Roxas and even the Riku Replica, no one even remembers her.

I forgot even freaking Riku Replica got remembered....

Riku Replica is more important in people's memories than Xion, holy sh!t....

This. All of this...

For crying out loud, even her theme title has the word 'sadness' in it xP

Which one? 

Roxas and Xion are definitely pretty tragic like everyone in this cursed series. Xion probably a bit more so.

But I honestly get really upset thinking about everything that happened to Ven.  He had to come from somewhere, and he somehow ended up as Xehanort's student, which I can't help but feel was caused by some shady crap that the old coot would most definitely pull.  Then Xehanort goes and screws up his heart, mind you by cornering him and near killing him, causing possible permanent memory loss.  Then he almost leaves him on the island to die.  His memory loss ended up being so severe that he didn't even realize that he came from a different world rather recently, and instead believed he always lived at LoD.  Terra, Aqua, and Eraqus were all he had and he ends up watching them be torn apart and ends up destroying himself to save everyone which didn't work because Xehanort had already screwed all that up too.

I feel like Xion and Ven might be tied for most tragic with Roxas reallllyyy close behind.

I forgot even freaking Riku Replica got remembered....

Riku Replica is more important in people's memories than Xion, holy sh!t....

Which one? 

"Musique pour la tristesse de Xion"

Music for the sadness of Xion...

Edited by Javelin434

But I honestly get really upset thinking about everything that happened to Ven.  He had to come from somewhere, and he somehow ended up as Xehanort's student, which I can't help but feel was caused by some shady crap that the old coot would most definitely pull. 

It's stated in the novel that Ven was an orphan that never got to know his parents, so Xehanort was probably the only place Ven had to go. :(

With that stated, though...I think Vanitas is the most tragic character. He had all the memories of the first half of Ven's life, (which was most likely filled with physical, emotional, and mental abuse) ADD ON the absolute torture of the Unversed, ADD ON getting glimpses of Ven's good memories but never being able to keep them, ADD ON that he failed at his goal of getting rid of the Unversed without destroying himself AND will probably never get a happy ending at all.

Edited by KHrulz

I debate this with myself often, because most of the characters have some sort of tragedy to them; but at the end, I always come back to the same person who I can't help but feel deeply saddened by...

Aqua

I don't think she is often viewed as being that tragic because of her attitude throughout her ordeals.  To start things off, she is rejected by both of her friends: With Terra having anger at her for spying on him, and Ventus calls her flat out "awful".  These are two people that are basically her family and they both find anger and hatred towards her.  Even if it was kind of short lived, that kind of thing sticks with a person.

Next, is the fact that she watched her world come crashing down as she watches both of her friends taken hold of by Xehanort's plan.  She had to carry Ventus through her home (which was destroyed) and use her "dead" masters keyblade to completely change her home and leave a friend behind there.  Meanwhile, she has nothing but faith while trying to save Terra, only to see him fall into darkness.  She tries her best to save him, and with that faith, she lets herself fade into darkness to save him; which brings me to her biggest tragedy.

All of her years in the darkness.  Throughout any of her footage in the RoD, she seems pretty normal.  But there is no way that someone goes through over a decade of loneliness and danger at every turn and comes away okay.  Her mental state has to be so fragile by now that she is lost to herself. It even comes to a point where she is ready to give up, but is saved by the will of her friends.  (I realize that this piece is a lot of real world speculation, but it is the truth of what would truly happen to a person (side note: I would love it if Nomura truly showed that she has suffered physically and mentally from her time in there)).

Aqua did nothing but give throughout her journey, and ended up in an essential purgatory because of her good intentions.

Even her theme (like many others) has nothing but tragedy to it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfjEKGKz_zg

Edited by Ven983

It's stated in the novel that Ven was an orphan that never got to know his parents, so Xehanort was probably the only place Ven had to go. :(

With that stated, though...I think Vanitas is the most tragic character. He had all the memories of the first half of Ven's life, (which was most likely filled with physical, emotional, and mental abuse) ADD ON the absolute torture of the Unversed, ADD ON getting glimpses of Ven's good memories but never being able to keep them, ADD ON that he failed at his goal of getting rid of the Unversed without destroying himself AND will probably never get a happy ending at all.

"shady crap" as in I wouldn't put it past Xehanort to orphan a kid and pass it off as an accident kinda thing. Plus I don't think the novels are 100% canon but I also haven't actually read them or anything sooo

I really kinda want to see Vanitas turn good as unlikely as that is.  All that stuff from the novel makes me feel bad for him and I'm going to continue to hate myself for it if he doesn't do something other than evil.

"shady crap" as in I wouldn't put it past Xehanort to orphan a kid and pass it off as an accident kinda thing. Plus I don't think the novels are 100% canon but I also haven't actually read them or anything sooo

Now that I think about it, agreed. He probably foresaw how submissive Ventus would turn out to be under his influence and decided to outright kill his parents. :(

Namine. Everyone talks about how Xion gets forgotten by the only people who liked her, but the same goes for Namine. She spent the better part of her existence being held captive, either by Marluxia or by DiZ, and is constantly bossed and ordered around, and yet the only person who really seems to be nice to her is Sora, in spite of her being forced to mind-crush him. And yet, in order to give Sora his life back, which she is responsible for messing up, she has to eradicate any memory of herself from the only friend she's ever had. What's more, in order to finish the task, she has to KO Roxas, who might also be almost a friend if given a chance. Namine is never given a chance to get the one thing she wants, which is to find people who are willing to accept her as a person, not just as a tool. At least Xion got a chance to hang out with Axel and Roxas. Namine is still waiting for just a "thank you."

I can't believe I totally skipped over this playing through the series.  Really well put and honestly I completely agree.  The thing that Roxas and even Xion had was the freedom to actually have friends, however artificial (or not) it may have been.  But Namine never even really had a chance.

Aqua

She had a normal life and saw it all being destroyed piece by piece (In that way, her story is the most realistic if you analyze it carefully)

She lost her friend's trust -- Terra thought she was in some kind of scheme with Eraqus to bring him back home and Ven believed she had changed because of the fact that she had become a Master

Then she lost her Master [which was pretty much a father to her] and worse: found out that it was one of her best friends that killed him

Next, she almost died by the hands of Vanitas, being saved by Ven in the last second. 

And the worst part came in the end: doomed to be lonely for a very long time -- only hoping that someday someone would come and rescue her. It is interesting to think that she sacrificed herself for the friends that doubted her true intentions. Maybe, just maybe... if she had let Terra fall on the darkness, things would have been better -- she could stay with Mickey and Yen Sid, and eventually meet with Sora and Riku... 

To me, it's like she had everything to live a perfect story -- but all of that was slowly taken away from her -- her friends, her master, and lastly, her freedom

And people think this is a kid's game. Honestly, Roxas,Xion,Ven, and Namine have the saddest stories. I mean Roxas only got 1 year and was forced to return to Sora even though he barely knew who he was. Diz forces him to return and does not even tell him he will not disappear. His entire existence everyone was lying to him even his best friends. All his existence he was deny his existence and was never given anytime to accept it. Xion was forced to just be a forgotten puppet and was only created to hold Sora's memories and to take away Roxas' powers. In the end she had everyone forget all their memories of her just to give Sora back his memories.

Ven was lied to his entire life and told that he was always at the Land of Departure. Even though Xehanort forced his darkness out of him and basically used Ven as a tool to recreate the keyblade war. It was a battle from the inside and lost his heart. He has been forced to sleep for 10 years.

Namine was a prisoner and told she was just a tool. She was told she was a witch and forced her to mess with Sora's memories. She never really had a true friend.