Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Dio Brando

According to IGN:Gameplay holds back video games ........WHAT?

All i see is some stupid 1 year old opinion from a member from IGN ,not any official guy who really works there. Everyone with an account can write an blog entry. Or am I seeing things wrong ?

Playing Devil's Advocate here, it doesn't seem like he wants gameplay to be eliminated, more like he wants story and gameplay to meld seamlessly, like he thinks gameplay should be an extension of the story. Not just a mechanism to move the story along, but an integral part of it.

Edited by Isamu_Kuno

Playing Devil's Advocate here, it doesn't seem like we wants gameplay to be eliminated, more like we wants story an gameplay to meld seamlessly, like he thinks gameplay should be an extension of the story. Not just a mechanism to move the story along, but an integral part of it.

That's what I was thinking too.

Considering my college studies are linked to this, this article was actually interesting. The point was flawed obviously, but I can least understand where the guy is coming from. Storytelling in games is starting to get stronger and its becoming more a more important and sought-after element in games themselves, so figuring out a way to mesh the two together does sound really good in theory.

7.8/10 too much bulls***. but on a serious note, i can almost understand them. almost. i dont want to go into depth but TO AN EXTENT i can understand.

Edited by Sorual

......I can't even understand what he's trying to say. And the arrogance that is in that article...ugh, this is why I try to avoid IGN as much as possible. I know there are some good and competent people on IGN, but you almost never hear from them. But at the end of the day, it's the overall attitude of IGN itself that turns me off. And now.....this? Ugh, I feel like he's trying to tell me something, but whatever it is was drowned out by all of those cheap shots at unrelated game franchises. Yes IGN, truly you guys are ahead of the times.  :dry:

That's what I was thinking too.

Considering my college studies are linked to this, this article was actually interesting. The point was flawed obviously, but I can least understand where the guy is coming from. Storytelling in games is starting to get stronger and its becoming more a more important and sought-after element in games themselves, so figuring out a way to mesh the two together does sound really good in theory.

Honestly, given IGN's track record, I'd wager that what he's really asking is: "Why can't I one-hit kill guys with bullets like they do in the cutscenes??"

Honestly, given IGN's track record, I'd wager that what he's really asking is: "Why can't I one-hit kill guys with bullets like they do in the cutscenes??"

Probably, but even so, the idea is still interesting.

All i see is some stupid 1 year old opinion from a member from IGN ,not any official guy who really works there. Everyone with an account can write an blog entry. Or am I seeing things wrong ?

More or less this; they posted an OPINION. IGN as a company is not saying "gameplay needs to go away", IGN is doing its job as a hub for gaming personality, news, and opinion by posting a controversial opinion by a member of their community. You're all free to disagree with said opinion (I certainly do), but it's exactly that.Besides, even if it was from a member of the staff, it would still be a subjective analysis. You can't empirically claim gameplay is detrimental to the story, but you can have feelings, and reasons for said feelings.Yeesh, you think IGN would have put too much water in people's cheerios or something.