Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
TheGuide

How to start playing Final Fantasy games

So. ive always wanted to play the final fantasy games, but its just such a juggernaut of a series that ive always been too intimidated to try to get into it. Where should i start? Any advice would be appreciated!

^ this. I'm playing FF10 as well and its my first FF game too, but I'm playing the old PS2 version. xD Really, it all depends on what console you have since the FF series spans just about every gaming console you can think of! And the beauty of FF is that there's no story arc, each game is its own separate story. 

I'm not exatly sure what you mean by ''how to start playing Final Fantasy'',but there's no particular order to play them ,so I'd suggest you start with the easiest ones like FFVI,FFVII,FFIX or FFX and no playing them in order because the first 3 are pretty hard and confusing at times(unless you play one of the remakes that toned down the difficulty quite a bit) and you don't need to play one Final Fantasy game to understand an other,each game have its own world and its own story,so really you can start with whatever Final Fantasy you want,it won't matter.

I personally started with FFVII because it was the only one I kinda knew because of Kingdom Hearts and its the most popular of the serie.

VI, VII, IX, or X. Admittedly I'm biased, them being my favorites in the series, but those games are the middle ground between the hair-tearing frustration of the older games (remakes included), and the... controversies of the later installments. I'd say VIII but I haven't played it in ages, and it can be hit-and-miss when it comes to plot and gameplay. But imo the four I mentioned should serve you well.

Each FF has its own mechanics, so you may wanna base it off your own preference. VI and IX are pretty straightforward in terms of plot and mechanics, and have settings with a more old school traditional fantasy feel. Characters have their own strengths, so your strategy would come from which characters you'd want in your party. VII and X lean more towards sci-fi (well, X's an odd mix but I think that gives it a unique flavor), and is more heavy on customization. VII gives you a lot of freedom with what you want your characters to do, and the difference between them is negligible at the end of the day. In X characters have their own strengths like in VI and IX, but when you progress far enough you'll be free to take them on a path of your choosing. However you can't customize them on the fly like you can in VII, because their progression is literally on a path (there's no way I can explain the sphere grid here...).

I'd recommend starting with IV (Just not the 3D remake since that one's  a lot tougher than the 2D versions), or possibly VI.

Depends on the platform actually. The HD remaster has two difficulty options.

Oh, really? I assumed it was the same as the DS version in terms of difficulty.

Yeah. I'd assume Expert mode is the DS version's difficulty but I can't be sure. The iOS, Android and PC versions all have Normal and Expert modes.

I would recommend starting with either VI or IX, as they seem have the best balance of the gameplay used in most FF games, in that they're simultaneously easy to pick up and get used to, but in-depth to master.

FFIX is a celebration of the first eight games though, I think that makes it a poor first choice

I dunno, I played IX without playing most of the older ones and I had lots of fun with it.

It's not that it's not fun, it just seems to me like something best saved for a treat when you have some of the other games under your belt

Not the first eight, more like five or six.

Fairly certain there are references to every FF game at the time in it

So. ive always wanted to play the final fantasy games, but its just such a juggernaut of a series that ive always been too intimidated to try to get into it. Where should i start? Any advice would be appreciated!

Start with Final Fantasy IV

it's the most beginner friendly entry in the series and it'll teach you the basics that you'll carry over with other titles in the series from 4 up to 9 and 10

Pick up the PSP version since it's the best version and it's bundled with FFIV's sequel:FFIV the After Years