Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Villi1997

Which do you prefer? Character driven or plot driven?

I prefer a healthy mix of both, kind of like what the Kingdom Hearts series has been doing. There is an overall plot guiding it along, but the characters are what really move the action and make you feel like a part of the story. In many cases, both are kind of necessary to tell a good story.

I don't much have a preference when it comes to stuff like this. It's like asking me, 'Which do you prefer? Marvel or DC?' The answer's always going to be both because I don't like comparisons like that. Comparing characters and themes and elements of movies/games/books, sure, but I don't much like comparing quality and ascertaining which I 'prefer' from that, because then I'll always look at the other as 'inferior' in some way. Comparing a reboot to the original work makes sense, but comparing two unaffiliated movies/games just doesn't make sense to me if you're just looking at quality.

As it is, one big thing that really kind of irritates me is when you have a major plot AND character-driven story that you end up just catering to one or the other in future sequels. Case in point: Mass Effect. The first game was very plot-driven, but interacting with your crew and learning about their characters was very much a major part as well. Then ME2, it became more about JUST the characters, which caused the plot to feel lacking in many areas...then Mass Effect 3, which got rushed out the door and lacked in both departments, but you get my point.

TL;DR: I like both.

Edited by Kaweebo

Both have their place.

Character Driven Stories: Sometimes stories don't have an immediately evident plot, but the characters themselves are interesting enough to create dilemmas that eventually becomes a plot. For example, you can have three characters chatting in a room. At first, this story seems to have no purpose. But, if a fight were to break out between two of the characters, and one was to run out of the house with the other chasing him, then a plot has suddenly been established and  will have to be resolved.

Plot Driven Stories: This is the formula that most franchises seem to follow. There's a definite setting, theme, and even backstory that has already been established, and the characters have been specifically created to fulfill it's purpose. A random fight or dilemma breaking out between two people would not make sense in this type of story unless it was relevant to the plot, or being used to develop the characters.

It is possible to intertwine the two and create a balance of both elements, but if done wrong, it could turn off your readers and make you seem like an amateur writer. For example, too many character-driven scenarios would result in a character/ or group of characters taking up too much of the plot and story, which could be annoying if the story isn't supposed to really be about them. (For example, side characters getting more attention than the main protagonist.)

The opposite can also happen. Plot-driven mishaps occur when writers become so bent on moving the story forward, that they forget to establish appropriate atmosphere and character development, and as a result you get a great plot with boring, one note characters.

I like a mixture of both. I love stories that have deep and well developed plot lines, but at the same time the characters have be well developed too. I love it when the writers go in the characters back stories because I like to know everything that I can about the characters, but it has to be in such a way that at the very least it doesn't completely halt story progression. Writers that are able to balance a well developed plot line with deep character development write the kind of stories that I love in any medium and or genre.

I'm not certain I understand the question, but i think I prefer character driven. A shit plot with good characters can still be a lot of fun (like Re:Coded, The Walking Dead games, every Uncharted game, etc.) but a good plot with poorly written characters will always be a drag. It doesn't matter how fantastic the story is, if the protagonists are unlikable or act unbelievably, then I'm going to be bored out of my mind the whole time.

Allow me to raise a third option: World driven.

That's a pretty limited category, honestly. It's a hard style to do right

I'm not certain I understand the question, but i think I prefer character driven. A shit plot with good characters can still be a lot of fun (like Re:Coded, The Walking Dead games, every Uncharted game, etc.) but a good plot with poorly written characters will always be a drag. It doesn't matter how fantastic the story is, if the protagonists are unlikable or act unbelievably, then I'm going to be bored out of my mind the whole time.

I don't think the question is about bad characters versus bad plot, but what drives it. Basically where the focus of the story lies, either on the events of the story, or the characters. Basically, the end of a character driven story is usually character development, the end of a plot driven story is more about the climax. A major thing happens, or an ultimate goal is achieved

I prefer a healthy mix of both, kind of like what the Kingdom Hearts series has been doing. There is an overall plot guiding it along, but the characters are what really move the action and make you feel like a part of the story. In many cases, both are kind of necessary to tell a good story.

KH is plot driven. The characters are largely irrelevant, existing more as a reason for the next plot point to happen than anything else.

That's a pretty limited category, honestly. It's a hard style to do right

I don't think the question is about bad characters versus bad plot, but what drives it. Basically where the focus of the story lies, either on the events of the story, or the characters. Basically, the end of a character driven story is usually character development, the end of a plot driven story is more about the climax. A major thing happens, or an ultimate goal is achieved

KH is plot driven. The characters are largely irrelevant, existing more as a reason for the next plot point to happen than anything else.

I personally loved how they did it with Lightning Returns.

BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! xP

In all seriousness though, I disagree with that. I don't buy the events that happen unless I buy what the characters are first. If that's what you get out of the characters, then I'm sorry, I just think I see a little more in them than you do. :P

BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! xP

In all seriousness though, I disagree with that. I don't buy the events that happen unless I buy what the characters are first. If that's what you get out of the characters, then I'm sorry, I just think I see a little more in them than you do. :P

it's not about the quality of the characters at all, in this case though. It's what drives the story, and the characters in KH really aren't the driving force

Yeah, it is. Toriyama spoke about it when they announced the game.

what the developer says doesn't make it so. The world of LR is pretty well developed, but I wouldn't really say it drives the story

it's not about the quality of the characters at all, in this case though. It's what drives the story, and the characters in KH really aren't the driving force

And it's that there that I disagree with. I find that the characters very much ARE the driving force of the story. Is the fact that all of these events were caused by a madman with tainted desires enough proof of that? Or how about the fact that half of the story of the next game is to save a bunch of the main characters from their tormented fates? If that's not character driven, I don't know what is. And it never really feels like everything is happening because the plot demands it to me, I really do feel that each event and action is the direct result of a character's action and how their personality affects how they react and move forward. The plot is the train tracks, but the character is the train. You can't have one without the other, and the Kingdom Hearts series has both in decent harmony in my eyes.

And it's that there that I disagree with. I find that the characters very much ARE the driving force of the story. Is the fact that all of these events were caused by a madman with tainted desires enough proof of that? Or how about the fact that half of the story of the next game is to save a bunch of the main characters from their tormented fates? If that's not character driven, I don't know what is. And it never really feels like everything is happening because the plot demands it to me, I really do feel that each event and action is the direct result of a character's action and how their personality affects how they react and move forward. The plot is the train tracks, but the character is the train. You can't have one without the other, and the Kingdom Hearts series has both in decent harmony in my eyes.

but that could be any madman. They're not what's important. What's important is the events that happen, the plot points of KH are a lot more important than the actual characters

Personally, I love both, because a story should have plot and character driven segments to them, because they go hand in hand in telling an intriguing and worthwhile story.  Sure, the plot may be amazing and mind blowing, but if the characters don't have any personality to them and don't have any kind of development, it kind of kills the purpose of the journey.  Why would I travel with these characters if they aren't interesting?  So yes, I love both character-driven and plot-driven stories.  It's the kind of thing that always needs balance, and unfortunately, some people tend to focus on one area more than the other.