Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
Kittenz

Text Posing PSA

http://lonewolf117.deviantart.com/art/Serah-Farron-Uncertain-Future-374118971 Knows his stuff

I've seen plenty of people use mmd for game models....''MikuMikuDance'' was originally made for low-res cell shaded models of Hatsune Miku which...results in funny stuff and problems when you put in a high-polygon model.

It's not that I have problem with people using MMD per-say...it's just that it's just not meant for characters ripped from PlayStation/Xbox games, where as XNA Lara was meant to handle game models from the get-go

That and some of the perverted things people do with them are ....strange at best

I know people aren't experts so they find MMD ''easier'', but, it's actually the wrong way to learn how to model and animate things.

You probably shouldn't even be attempting this stuff unless you have some understanding from a teacher. Yes, I just said you should probably be a student of a modelling/animation, etc, class before trying this stuff. Because then, you actually know what you're doing and can get help. Using Kairi as a body-base is not modelling a character. The face is still Kairi's face. Also, It's actually copyright.

An example of people attempting to make an OC from Kairi: http://sephirothshair.deviantart.com/art/THE-TWILIGHT-STRIKER-449413596

In videos of ''their'' characters, you can see just how badly the models end up. Everything glitches and jiggles around to no end. Not a good look. Not to mention, The face, despite being re-colored, is still recognisable as Kairi.

Let's say you made a game with re-colored models ripped from someones else's game .....you'd probably get sued.

(Square enix have actually sued fans before for using final fantasy models in their works: http://www.screwattack.com/news/square-enix-puts-stop-one-final-fantasy-vii-fan%E2%80%99s-3d-printed-sprite-selling-operation

I'm not saying you'll get sued for making internet pictures, nobody has, but if you try to sell those picture you will. Some people actually do want to go forward with these things. That's what can get people in trouble. )

If you want to make an original character, then you should make her/him from stratch. 

Here's an example of doing it right. This guys uses a program that is actually meant for game models. It uses the unreal game engine. Then he uses a 3D modelling program for the backround. It results in a much better outcome for the character:

Posted Image

The only problem is......you can only put in realistic/semi-realistic models into this program. Attempts to put in stylised characters, like those from Kingdom Hearts, have made them look super weird. The shading makes their faces go into the uncanny valley D: 

In conclusion, I don't want to tell you what to do, that's not what this is. If you want to use MMD for this, fine, but that's not what it's meant for and you'll probably get stuck with skills that are actually incorrect. Think of it like drawing one way so much, you can't learn how to draw any other way(or at least it's quite difficult to).

This is probably a nit-pick thing to add, but, alot of these that I've seen are very much out-of-character. Advice I would give, is to follow how that character is in the game they came from. (Obviously, this topic is about making serious portrayals of characters, none of this probably matters if you just want to joke around)

This is just my opinion of this whole ''3D fanart'' fad thing on DevaintArt. Take it as you will. 

Edited by KittensOnFire

This topic is really interesting, i'll probably try it, it's pretty sad it dont work for the KH characters but as i see it's really efficient for the FF characters (PS: the Lightning fanart is just fantastic !)

It's not that I have problem with people using MMD per-say...it's just that it's just not meant for characters ripped from PlayStation/Xbox games, where as XNA Lara was meant to handle game models from the get-go

That and some of the perverted things people do with them are ....strange at best

Believe me when I say I have seen my fair share and I concur with this statement xD

Also some pervertedly awesome stuff too to say the least