Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Firaga

KH1 Donald And Goofy Playable?

I haven't made a thread in a while so I figured I'd hop back on the train, so to speak. Also, fair warning, I might ramble on a bit. Then again, I always ramble, don't I? xD

I watched a video last night that went over the "beta version" of Kingdom Hearts. You know, all the things that were planned to be in the game as well as the base game itself that eventually mutated into the Kingdom Hearts we know and love today. Anyways, other than the weird character models and somewhat different story, as well as the appearance of Disney Castle as being visitable, and the missed opportunity of having Bahamut as a summon, which would have been amazing, lets be honest... I noticed that the guy who did the video brought up a possibility that I never thought of before. It was taken from the E3 2001 trailer, and it was close-ups of Donald and Goofy in action (with their OG Disney clothes on and before they got their new hip and super rad clothes) and the guy proposed that maybe, and I know this might sound a little off the wall to some, but maybe... Donald and Goofy were originally meant to be playable alongside Sora.

Now, I'm not gonna lie: I think this would be a good idea. I mean, we as experienced Kingdom Hearts players always bitch and moan about the cooperation or lack thereof from Donald and Goofy as our AI partners. They're not terrible, obviously, we've put up with it for years, but still, compare that to actually being able to control both Donald and Goofy, being able to set up their stats and their abilities and dish out all their moves and functions with your own hands instead of relying on AI patterns to do it for you. It might sound like a pain and even unnecessary, but for me, I think it'd be a lot more manageable, and not to mention fun, to be able to control all the members in my party and be able to play as all of them. Yeah sure, going from Sora, the badass Keyblade hero, to Donald and Goofy may be a bit of a nuisance and its also like going from playing as Link to playing as Tingle, but I'm sure its not entirely un-playable. 

So what do you think? Do you think a playable Donald and Goofy in KH1 and most likely onwards would have been a good idea? Or are we better off with how they are in reality as AI companions? Leave your thoughts below.

Switching party members does make for some interesting tactics, particularly if you give Goofy and Donald abilities Sora can't do.

Another think I think would be fun is have a drop in/drop out coop system that allows a friend to come in as a party member, which would mainly be Donald and Goofy.

I wouldn't have had a problem playing as Donald and Goofy too, after all, they are fun characters!  Who knows?  We may even be able to use them momentarily in Kingdom Hearts III!  But as for the topic at hand, I like the way things are now.  In my various playthroughs of my Kingdom Hearts games, I've had no problem with Donald and Goofy as my AI controlled party members.  They've always been reliable to me.  But yeah, the concept of playing as Donald and Goofy too would have been pretty sweet.  Still though, there's no beating playing as Mickey.  That mouse can kick some serious ass. xD

Sora can do pretty much everything Donald can and Goofy does a great job on his own (seriously, who complains about Goofy?). He's never let me down.

Rght? I used to complain about Donald always dying and not doing anything when I first played KH1.

At least the AI for them in III will be massively improved compared to II, so there's that to look forward to. Either way, controlling them could have been interesting, especially with Donald at times. I probably got really mad at him in KHI.