Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
Dave

What makes Aqua a Master?

I believe how Aqua fares in BBS's Mark of Mastery exam is something that's overshadowed (that's a pun) by Terra's participation in it. Most of the story seems to focus on the fact that Terra failed his exam, which is made more focused and prominent if only because we know why: he had trouble keeping his Dark under control, and Eraquas gave him the thumbs down. But while lots of time is spent analyzing why Terra failed, not much time is spent trying to learn why Aqua succeeds at becoming a Master. I mean, there's the obvious flip side of her keeping her Darkness in check, but I don't think that's really satisfying enough. I got the impression that if you were going to be called a Master, you had to have something else under your belt, either in your heart or in the deeds that you've done. But she's named Master before undergoing the main quest of the game, which seems counter-intuitive: it's like putting the cart before the horse, in that the thing that could probably legitimize you as a Master is accomplished after you already were declared one. I guess you could make the argument that he has a strong heart, but I'd like to see some greater definition on what that strength is, and whether it warrants Master material.

What does Aqua have that makes her a Master?

After reading the whole thing, I'd say you're right. I like ''Master Aqua'', but it would be nice to see it more delved into than: ''OH OK NEW  CHARACTER UR A MASTER NOW FIVE MINUTES INTO THE GAME BECAUSE I SAID SO''

It's because she kept her emotions in tact. She was also calm and focused on the exam as Terra couldn't keep his emotions in tact and used Darkness because he was to focused on passing the exam. They really didn't do a good Job explaining it but they they gave us some idea why Terra failed his exam. Also it was apart of Eraqus fault for not trusting in Terra.

Either 1) Eraqus has his own way of doing things and he saw the potential/power in the student he's overseen for what we can assume is years, or

Perhaps, but then, what is that power and potential that he sees?

Perhaps, but then, what is that power and potential that he sees?

I always assumed it was the ability to not die against opponents/the Unversed.  Doesn't mean too much considering how many other characters can hold their own against opponents (even Donald and Goofy), but then again, what being a Keyblade Master entails has always been a vague concept.  They probably get a little sticky note with a to-do list on it, like "Don't die."

I'm starting to think that there is no one "true" Mark of Mastery Exam.  I think the exam can be administered at the discretion of the teacher/instructor and doesn't have to follow preset criteria.  Just look at how more involved Sora and Riku's Exam was compared to Terra and Aqua's.  Perhaps Master Eraqus saw how well Aqua could handle changing conditions in her environment when she had to fend off Terra when he resorted to enhanced darkness abilities.  Maybe there is more to being a Keyblade Master than has been revealed in the series thus far.  Sora failing his Exam points to the strong possibility that he will learn more about what it takes to be a genuine Keyblade Master throughout KH III and will shed more light on why certain students receive this honor while others do not.

It's clearly been looked over by the story and it's makers. Sadly, I think is this is at fault of the story and will probably not be looked into unless by a miracle in KH3 they made an Aqua backstory. But it would be unlikely since it's a little late for that to be implemented and would feel out of place.