Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
TheWayToDawn

The Rise of Nightwing

Before I start, I’d like to give credit to Bob Kane, the creator of Batman, to all of his Batman characters. I wanted to do something with his amazing series and include one of my own character’s.

~Part 1~

I take off my helmet after I stopped my motorcycle in the Batcave. Sweating a bit after a big fight with Two-Face and his thugs. To be honest, they really put up a good fight this time, more stronger than usual. I place my helmet on my motorcycle and head to the Batcomputer. "Hey Alfred." I say as he hands me a towel to dry off the sweat.

"Hello, miss Gail." Alfred greets me. I hear the roar of an engine, signifying Bruce and his Batmobile has arrived.

"Thank you, Alfred." I say drying the sweat off my forehead and grabbing a glass of water off the table by the Batcomputer.

"Rough night, huh?" Barbara asked me as she looked over to me.

"Kinda. the thugs put up a good fight this time." I say with a sigh, taking another sip of water.

A splash from the waterfalls indicates Bruce has just arrived, the Batmobile screeches to a stop. I take a sip of water and type a bit on the Batcomputer with one hand. Bruce hops out of the Batmobile and makes his way towards me as the door of the Batmobile slowly closes on its own. "Where's Tim?" I asked as Bruce is now next to me, I lean against the table.

"Barbara?" Bruce says, looking Barbara's direction.

"He's coming, he's just a little bit behind you." Barbara says after typing a few keys.

"Tim doesn't do to bad." I say taking off my face mask. It's sweaty under my mask, I feel the cool breeze hits my sweated skin.

This is our fifteenth time probably out there with him on the field. He's the new Robin, the old one... kind of  left.

"Why are you judging him?" Bruce asked, after Alfred hands him a towel.

"I'm not. I'm just saying he isn't doing to bad." I say defensively as I cross my arms. "Not like you don't." I add. I then hear Tim's motorcycle roar outside, he then enters the Batcave with a splash.

Bruce and Barbara keeps pushing at me and telling me that I've been acting strange ever since Dick left. I disagree. I've been acting just fine, I don't understand why they say I've been acting weird. But I haven't been speaking highly of Dick anymore. I have been trying to keep that type of talk to the minimum. But all I got to say is that, I maybe miss him a little. But not as much as they're saying I am.

Tim takes off his helmet and dismounts his motorcycle. He looks pretty beaten up, I did kind of use him as a shield once... maybe twice. Since he was there. Maybe I'm being to hard on the new guy. I don't know... "You alright, Tim?" Barbara asked, spinning her wheelchair around to face Tim.

"Yeah." Tim grunts, rubbing on his neck. "Hey Alfred, can you get me some-"

"On it sir." Alfred says walking to the work station.

"Sorry Tim..." I say with a frown. It was my fault that he hurt his neck after all. But I did save him from getting shot, the gunman was pointing at his face and pulled the trigger.

"It's alright, just forget about it." Tim says sitting on the table and takes off his face mask. He has a black eye, and now I feel worse.

"Oh my gosh, are you okay?" I say walking over to get a closer look at his eye.

"The boy's got thick skin, he's gonna be alright." Bruce says taking off his cowl.

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine." Tim says glaring at Bruce, as Bruce turns around. I place my hand on his cheek and rub under his black eye. I look at it closely.

"Yikes..." I say biting my lip. Alfred walks over with an ice pack he hands it to Tim.

"Shall I get another?" Alfred ask's. Tim shakes his head, but I nod. Alfred nod's and go grabs another.

"Let me see your eye, and stop twitching." I demanded since Tim kind of pushed me away. Tim is sixteen years old, he graduated out of school early. He's a real smart kid, he got taught his detective skills pretty quickly.

"You don't have to check it. I'm fine." Tim insists and grabs onto my hand as I place it on the side of his head again.

"No, you're starting to-" I begin.

"I'm fine, Abigail. Plus I've been through worse." Tim explains kind of pushing me away. He see's the frown on my face and as though he's read my mind, he says. "I know you feel responsible for what happened, but you're not."

"I am, I pushed you." I say with more of a frown. Alfred comes by with another ice pack and some tape. He tapes an ice pack onto the back of Tim's neck and Tim places an ice pack on his black eye.

"If you didn't, I'd be dead." Tim says with raised eyebrows. I want to protest but I shut up about it, I walk over to Barbara before I go take off this suit.

"So, have you located... you know who, yet?" I whispered to her as I looked around.

"No Abigail... I have not. You'll know as soon as I find him." Barbara whispers back as she is typing. I sigh frustratingly. "I know you're worried about him Abigail, but these things take time."

"He's been missing for two years, Barbara!" I accidentally snapped louder than I had intended.

"Who's been missing?" Tim asked curiously as he walked over.

"It's no one." I  say shooting Barbara a look.

"Who?" Tim asked.

"Dick Grayson, the first Robin." Barbara informed.

"What happened to him?" Tim asked. This is really annoying me for some reason, he's budding in too much, at least that's what it seems like to me.

"Well... one day he was here, then the next he's... gone..." I say with a frown. "You know what? Let's not get into the conversation right now." I walk away rubbing my temples, I do not like talking about Dick. I don't know why... Anger? Frustration? Worry? Anxiety? I don't know, all I know is that Dick went missing.

"Why don't you want to talk about it?" Tim asked, it somehow annoyed me a lot.

"Tim, just don't. Please, I don't want to talk about it." I snapped as I turned around to face him.

"Why don't you want to talk about it?" Tim pried. I shake my head and head my way to the changing room.

"Talk about what?" Bruce asked walking from the changing room. He wore a gray t-shirt and black sweatpants.

"Nothing." I mumble. I need this armor off me. Most of all I need to get away from that conversation. I take off my armor and then peel off my suit, and my boots. I was thinking about what I've heard from one of Two-Face's thugs, something about Deathstroke and a deal that's going on tomorrow. Why would Deathstroke be making a deal? Bruce says its nothing, but I'm curious. I might just check it out for myself tomorrow while Tim and Bruce are busy. Might as well since no one else would do it.

I walk back out with my black tank top and black shorts. "Okay Tim, you're next." I say tossing a towel on the table. I had to dry off the sweat from my face.

"Why did he do that?" Tim asked with shock.

"What are you talking about?" I asked curiously. I knew who they were talking about, but what about him?

"The night he left." Tim explained.

"Do what?" I asked.

"Bruce told me that he was being ignorant." Tim explained.

"Well, yeah. A bit." I grumbled, I take another sip of my water.

"A bit?" Bruce asked with raised eyebrows. I scowled at him and turned to the Batcomputer.

"So what all happened?" Tim asked. I swallowed hard, I never talk about that night. But might as well explain it.

"Well, we were coming back from stalling Joker's plans." I explain. "I got hurt a little, Batman was freaking out. But Dick was being a bit reckless, he kind of did some risky moves which Bruce, didn't agree with. We came back home okay. When we got here Bruce and Dick got in a big argument with each other... Dick says something about being sick of being in the Bats shadow. And Bruce said something about being stupid and reckless."

"Dick and Bruce said a few more things to each other... then we went to bed. Next morning, there was no sign of Dick or his car or his just him in general... We think he left over night... but... he never said goodbye to any of us." I finish explaining, I felt crushed for some reason. I don't know why. I'm over him.

"Oh... I'm sorry." Tim apologized. I shake my head and start heading for the elevator.

"You alright?" Barbara asked peaking around the computer.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just gonna go lie down." I lied. Well I was gonna go lie down, but I'm not okay.

"Wow, she hasn't talked about him ever since he left." I hear Barbara whisper to Bruce and Tim.

"Why?" Tim asked in a low whisper, I peek over my shoulder to see Barbara shrug.

I shake my head and pushed the button. I enter the elevator and go up to the mansion. It's dark and there's a full moon tonight, I'm tired and a bit beaten up from tonight's brawl with Two-Face and his thugs. But I'm also feeling depressed, I shouldn't feel this way. I hope I'm not having feelings for Dick again, because he left me... er... the team! I walk up the flight of stairs, rubbing my eye as it is feeling itchy of tiredness.

I enter my room and flop down onto my bed, slouching a bit, I place my hands on my face as I bent down. Rubbing my eyes and temples with frustration... or was it depression? I'm actually not  sure how I'm feeling. I look up to my bedside table and see that I still have that picture of me and Dick together. Thought I got rid of it. I flop down onto my back and think about what happened the night he left.

Two Years earlier...

It was a rainy and we were going after Joker. It was when Barbara wasn't Oracle, she was Batgirl at the time. So she was on the field with us, apparently Joker was gonna make laughing gas go through out the entire city. So obviously we had to stop him, I mean that's thousands of lives at stake! I remember we wear walking into an abandoned sewer drainage area.

I look around in the sewer drainage building, to see that thugs were pouring happy gas fluids in the sewage system. The smell of this place is repulsive, I see a rat run by my hand and I flew back a bit into Robin. "Sorry..." I say in a whisper.

"A bit jumpy tonight, are we?" Robin asks with a smile. I nod and crawl forward, I peek around the corner.

"Now, we need to figure out how to take down that thug that's by the controls." Batgirl says over the communicator, I flinch because that was unexpected. That night, I was a bit jumpy, something was setting me off. I don't know why.

"Are you okay?" Robin ask's as he crawled quietly over.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I say with a sigh as I put my back against the wall. "Not myself tonight."

"Well you better pull yourself together." Batman says over the communicator. I must've said that in the communicator. "You two are our eyes below, we're your eyes above."

"Okay, so Batgirl. What's the plan?" I asked looking around the corner again. "Oh shoot, back up, back up!" I hiss to Robin as I push him from the corner, a thug is coming. We don't want to get caught

Robin hoisted me up to a vent, I pulled him up afterwards. We crawl through the vents, a spider crawled by my hand and I peeped. "Shh!" Robin hissed, making me stop.

"The plan is;" Batgirl begins. "that we take out some of the armored thugs around the thug who's at the control system's. After we take them out, we go after him."

"Got it." Robin and I say simultaneously. I gesture Robin to follow me through the vents.

"You guys ready?" Batgirl asked.

"Not quite. We're almost out of the vents though." I say seeing a metal grate.

"What are you doing in there?" Batman asks with confusion.

"Uh... we almost got caught. It was Robin's idea." I say as let Robin go ahead of me. I usually let him open up the metal grate's cause he's a bit stronger than me. Easier for us to be more stealthy. Don't get me wrong, I can open these things up to, it's just that he needs to at this point time.

Robin starts to break open the metal grate, he's pushing really hard with his foot. It creeks a bit as the screws are getting more loose. Then with a pop of the screws, it's loose. Robin just barely manage's to grab it. Robin looks around outside the vents, he looks down and see's a thug. "Don't worry I got this one." He whispers to me.

"Wait Robin!" I whisper as I try to grab him. But I'm to late, he leaps down and drops on the thug. He quickly knocks the thug out without a sound.

"Robin, Fox, what are you doing?" Batman hisses in the communicator.

"I uh... sorry Batman." I whisper, trying to make it sound like my fault.

"You should have let us know!" Batgirl says angrily.

"Sorry Batgirl... it was my fault." I say jumping down out of the vent. Robin is about to disagree and I cover his mouth with my hand. "Shh... it's okay. Batman will go easier on me then you." I whisper, keeping my hand over his mouth. Robin pulls my hand away and looks at me unsure.

"Let's just hurry up and get this over with." Robin says in the communicator.

"Copy that." Batgirl says. We look up to see Batman and Batgirl swoop down and take down to thugs. They are very silent.

"Come on." Robin says to me as we are slouched and low to the ground, we move swiftly and silently. I take down a thug and Robin

takes down anther.

"Is that all?" I whisper into the communicator.

"Three more..." Batgirl says. I follow Robin through the paths and a thug steps on my cape. I don't pull I just lay still, I don't want to move.

Robin turns and see's that the thug is still on my cape. I shake my head as Robin takes out his staff. He stands up quicker than a lighting bolt, hitting the thug in the head with the staff, grabbed the thug and pulled him down. Covering his mouth and nose. After a few seconds the thug stops struggling and isn't moving a muscle. "Robin what were you thinking!" Batman says over the communicator angrily.

"I was thinking that I-" Robin says but gets quickly interrupted.

"Just stop and think before you act!" Batman hissed. I frowned and I turn to a corner to see Batgirl has knocked out the thug.

"That's the last of the guard-thugs." She informs. "Now for the target." We look up at the controls, the thug is looking away. We crawl towards the thugs quickly and silently before he notices anything.

Robin jumps up as we got close to the thug and he runs towards the thug. The thug turns, hearing the footsteps, Robin slides down and hides behind the fences. "Where is everyone?" The thugs asked in a raspy voice. I get close to Robin and thump him in the back of the head.

"What are you thinking?" I whispered a little louder than I had hoped.

"Who's there?" The thug asked walking closer.

The thug gets closer and closer, Robin and I try to hide. But my hair quickly gets pulled back viciously. "Rrrggh - aaah!" I shriek as I was being dragged backwards by my hair getting pulled. I kicked the ground and tried to find the thugs hands. Robin gets up and quickly charges the thugs. He knocks the thug down and begins to beat up on him. The thugs hands slipped out of my hair in the process, which really hurt. I lie down on one side, holding onto my head with both hands.

Batman gets jumps up and pulls Robin off the thugs, Batman bends down, grabs the thugs by the collar of his vest and holds him threateningly close. Batgirl crawls over to me, she grabbed onto my shoulder and turned me around. "Are you okay?" She asked looking around at me. I nod and I sit up.

"What are you planning?!" Batman yelled at the thug, apparently taking out all his rage on him.

"I-I-I" The thug stuttered in fear. "I- you should know!" Batman grew impatient and knocked out the thug. He then turned on Robin.

"What were you thinking?" He asked forcefully, Robin doesn't say a word. "Robin, you could have gotten Fox killed!" Robin looked at the control panel and walked to it. Which made Batman grow angrier. Batgirl and I both run to Batman and hold him back. He wanted to pound Robin to the ground.

I agree, Robin's actions weren't right. But he doesn't need to beat him up. Robin buts a beacon on the control panel, clicked its button, and the control panel started steaming as it has been destroyed remotely. "All done here." Robin says arrogantly and walks towards the exit. I follow Robin, so does Batman and Batgirl. Batgirl is trying to keep Batman calm, she doesn't want Batman yelling at Robin on our way to the vehicles.

I then hear a beeping sound, I get suspicious. Where's that coming from? I look around alarmed. The beeping start going frantic, Robin ignored it and he almost opened a door.

"Robin! No wait!" I screamed as I pounced onto him as he turned the knob. What I did didn't help, it opened the door and an explosion came from the door. The blast was really bad, it pushed me and Robin fifteen feet away from the door.

Since I was basically on top of Robin from pouncing on him, it hit me the worst. I'm in a daze, Robin's face is blurry. Robin gets up and quickly turns to me, he crawls to me and I feel him shaking my shoulder. "Fox, Night Fox!" I hear an echoed, muffled sound. My ears are ringing and I can barely here. Robin lifts me up a bit and I gasp and breathe fast from shock. I coughed a bit and I realized I've stopped breathing for a few seconds. I grip onto his arm that's holding my side. Robin is breathing fast, panicking, he hugs me. "Oh thank-"

"Fox!" I hear Batman's voice clearly yell. He must've recovered from the blast. I feel someone hold onto my shoulder and I turn my head quickly. "Are you okay?" He asked with a worried look in his eyes. I tried to get words out but I couldn't do it. My voice just wouldn't come out of me.

"Fox, I'm so sorry. I'm sorry. If I would've known..." Robin says speaking fast and his voice is shaky. Batman picks me up from Robin and walks faster and faster down the hall. He walks me to the Batmobile and puts me in the passenger side.

"Batgirl, take her vehicle." Batman orders her. I get strapped into my seat, I hear the motorcycle's start and the engine roar of the Batmobile. "Alfred." I hear Bruce say, it makes me flinch since his voice was so loud and forceful.

"Yes, master Bruce?" Alfred says in a casual tone.

"Abigail, she's hurt." Batman informs. "She needs medical attention!"

"What did she get hurt from, sir?" Alfred asks calmly.

"Explosive blast." Batman says.

"How bad does she look?" Alfred asked.

"She's incoherent, she is bleeding on her upper right arm. Her suit is open by her lower ribs, looks like she's wounded." Batman explains in a panicked tone.

"Alright, master Bruce." Alfred says, I hear clinking of metal. "I'll have the medical center set before you arrive."

"Thank you, Alfred." Batman says with a sense of relief in his tone. "Abigail?" I make a moan of pain to acknowledge him. My sight

is still blurry, I'm still unable to move, and my mind is kind of foggy. My body is shaking from shock, I'm getting cold easier. I'm trying so hard to ignore the pain, the blast, the ringing in the ears. Every bump we hit just hurts me more. I feel Bruce's hand on mine in a comforting way. "You'll be okay. Just stay with me." I slowly drift to sleep. No matter how hard I tried to stay up.

I get woken up when I feel myself getting lifted up. I open my eyes and look around, my site is better, but my hearing and my head still kinda fuzzy and plain. I look around, I know I'm in a cave. But I'm forgetting why I'm here. What just happened to me? I look around and I know someone is carrying me, but I don't know who he is. I get set down on the bed by this person and... I remember him, Alfred. He gets to my side quickly, he takes off my mask that I had no idea why it was there.

I looked around. I'm confused. "Wh-what happened?" I asked Alfred as I look around. I groan in pain as he touches my right lower rib.

"Don't worry, you're okay." Alfred says in a calming tone. He helps me out of the armored suit and I'm in a tank top and capris tights. A young man runs by my side. Who is he? He looks at me worried. His mask is off, but he has a weird suit on.

"Is she okay?" He asked in a rushed tone.

"She will be, don't worry, Master Dick, she'll be fine." Alfred says as he wraps my left arm in a bandage.

"Back off!" The other man said to Dick. "You're the cause of this!"

"I'm trying to make sure she is okay!" Dick yelled. "I'm trying to help!"

"You've done enough." The older man growls. A woman with orange hair steps in and takes Dick aside, talking to him about something I can't hear.

"Alfred, what happened? What's going on?" I asked with a confused look. The man next to Bruce looks at Alfred with a strange look.

"Abigail, are you okay?" The man asked with a concerned look. I look at him, not knowing if I should answer. I don't know him, but he knows me. Alfred then ejected numbing medicine into my side, and it hurt. I grip onto the sheet, till the pain subsided.

"Abigail?" The man said.

"I... uh..." I say unsure.

"What's wrong?" Bruce asked.

"I... Who are you?" I blurt out unexpectedly. I meant to keep that on the inside, but it came out. "Where am I?" The man's eyes were filled with horror, but also anger. "Someone, please tell me something!" I let out angrily.

"Abigail, I'm Bruce. Do you not remember?" Bruce asked with concern. I shake my head with a frown. I hear footsteps and then I see Dick again by my side. He looks worried. Alfred begins to sow me up.

"Master Bruce, Master Dick, I'm finding it hard to help her since you're crowding her." Alfred says with a concentrated look on his face. Bruce and Dick nod, then walk away.

"Alfred, please tell me what's happened?" I say in a desperate tone.

"I'll explain with Master Bruce and Dick, and Miss Barbara after I'm done." Alfred explains. The name Barbara rings a bell, but Dick and Bruce. Who are they? After Alfred finishes up, he places an ice-pack on my wound and has me lay down.

"So everything is my fault then?" I hear a distant yell from one of the guys. "Why is everything my fault? You made mistakes too!"

"At least my mistakes didn't get someone hurt!" I hear another yell. "You need to learn how to grow up! You could have killed her!"

"Do you think I don't know that?" I hear the other guy shout. "I was panicking the whole time, I was worried about her the whole time! I care for her more than you know!"

"Then why did you put her in danger?" I hear the other guy say with force.

"I saved her!" The other one yelled. "Yes, I know, I was being reckless tonight. You don't need to tell me. I know what I did, I know that it was stupid. I'm regretting it! I'm worried for Abigail! I don't want to lose her either, so stop taking your rage out on me!"

"Thanks to you she's probably lost her memory." The other one says in a calmer but still threatening voice. "For who knows how long? Do you really think she'll like you for what happened?"

"You know what!?" I hear the other one yell out in anger. "I'm tired of this! I'm tired of you! I'm tired of having to put up with everything! Most of all I'm tired of live in the 'Bats' shadow! If you hated me this badly, then why am I still here? I'm sorry about what happened to Abigail, okay? I'm afraid I've lost her, I don't want to lose her! But it doesn't help when you keep pushing all the blame and the pressure on me! Why didn't you jump in front of the door? Or did you want me dead?"

"I don't want you dead." The other one said more angrily. "And if you're tired of this then-"

"Okay, Bruce, knock it off!" I hear a woman's voice say. "Just both of you calm down, just take a breather guys. We're all rattled up from what happened. So let's not talk about this right now. We don't want to say things that we will regret."

I listened to the whole argument. They're arguing because they care about me, but it hurts me to not know who they are. I hear footsteps coming my way, it's Dick.

"Hey, you okay?" He asked sitting next to my bed, looking at me with concern.

"I... I don't know anymore." I say with a frown.

"Do you remember anything?" Dick asked.

"I remember Alfred... a big bright flash, um... playing piano... I think I remember seeing you but..." I say thinking hard. "I... I don't remember your name or... anyone else that's here. I also remember some terrifying things. Horrible cackling, spiders, gunshots, and other things." Dick looks down with a frown.

"Sorry..." He says quietly.

"Why are you sorry?" I asked with curiosity.

"I... I feel like it's my fault." He says not looking at me. "You got hurt from an explosion... I was being stupid. I could have went the other way but... I wasn't thinking straight. I'm sorry..." I look at him sympathetically and grabbed his hand that is on my bed.

"It's okay. I'm fine. See?" I say with a smile. "I'm alive. You don't have to worry. I may not remember you, but I feel like we were close." He looks at me with a faint smile.

"Thanks." He says.

Present time...

We went to the hospital the next day, apparently I was suffering from a minor concussion. Over the time, I began to regain my memory. When Dick left, even though I didn't remember him completely till a week after, I was devastated. I was literally crying because I realized what I lost. I wish I could see him again, I wish I knew he was okay. I lie scoot up to my pillow and pulled my blankets on. I slowly drift to sleep.

Edited by TheWayToDawn

Before I start, I’d like to give credit to Bob Kane, the creator of Batman, to all of his Batman characters. I wanted to do something with his amazing series and include one of my own character’s.

~Part 2~

I go up to the third floor of the parking lot, in search for Deathstroke. I see that there was a struggle, a few broken barrels and boxes. Some blood on the road. Looks like a fight broke out over here, and it was pretty rough. I walk up to the blood, peeking over my shoulder ever few seconds to make sure something won’t get the jump on me. I scan the blood with my detective scanner. This blood belongs to… Ray Morph. A criminal record of a hit and run, that’s it though. “Oracle, I-”

“Hey, this is my investigation!” I hear a man’s voice ring up. I flinched and turned around on my heels. A man in black armor, with a symbol of a dark blue bird on his chest. He has two electrical escrima’s.

“Who are you suppose to be?” I asked folding my arm, probably one of those wannabe’s.

“Is something wrong?” I hear Barbara over the mic.

“I’m Nightwing!” He says with an arrogant smile, it somehow look familiar. “Oh wait, let me guess. You’re one of Batman’s sidekick’s: Night Fox.”

“Yeah, so?” I snapped. “You afraid or something?”

“Heheh, no, no.” He says with a chuckle. “Where’s Batman? Shouldn’t you be with him?”

“I’m on my own at the moment.” I say glaring at him. “Oracle, I’ll get back to you.” I whisper.

“Does he know about this?” Nightwing ask’s chuckling.

“Alright, keep me up to date.” She sighs.

“That’s none of your business.” I snapped folding my arms over my chest.

“Ah, Night Fox going bad girl?” Nightwing grins walking closer to me.

“No, just… getting some fresh air out on my own.” I say in a ‘matter of fact’ type of way. “Now back off, this is MY investigation.” I turn around and observe the broken boards.

“Nah, I think I’ll just stay.” Nightwing says in a taunting way. Something about his voice is killing me, I know his voice!

“No, you’re leaving.” I snap as I look over my shoulder, to see he’s walking slowly closer.

“What are you gonna do if I don’t?” He taunted me arrogantly. To be honest, I don’t want him to leave… he sounds so familiar, and I want to figure out who he is. But I highly doubt I’d figure that out now.

“Show you the way out.” I say standing up slowly.

“Sounds like you really want me to leave.” He says with a pretend disappointment in his tone.

“Yeah, I do.” I say turning around on my heel, he’s five feet away from me. And I’m ready to fight him, I’ve fought Bane. How’s he any different?

“What would Batman think? You taking down a random stranger.” Nightwing says with a sly grin as he takes a step closer.

“He wouldn’t know.” I snap. I slowly start reaching for my staff that’s lodged into the back of my armor.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you.” He says, obviously noticing what I was doing. I then quickly grab my staff, pull it out and swing

it at Nightwing. He jumps back and laughs. “You really wanna do this? Alright, let’s do it.” He pulls out two of his escrima’s and gets into a fighting position. I ready myself, I can actually split my staff into escrima’s, but I will wait a bit. See how this goes. I take a step to the side, and so does he. I’m studying him for an open spot, maybe a spot where I can hit him.

I jump forward at him, trying to break his defense. He just blocks my attack with both escrima’s and pushes me back into the cemented pillar. Without warning he comes at me about to hit my head. I slide down and decide to trip him, that doesn’t work, he jumps up. I roll and get up, breathing hard a bit. Mostly with frustration, how is he dodging these? It’s like he knows my every move!

I think of a move that no one, not even Deathstroke or Ra’s Al Ghul could dodge. I charge at him, and he moves back like I want him to. I stab my staff into the ground just as I pass him, I spin around on the staff and kick my legs up to kick him. He moves back, good that’s what I want. I run and slide under him I try to trip him, that doesn’t work for some reason so I then swing my staff and try to knock him down, but shockingly, just before it was just about to make impact. He grabbed my staff, swung it around me, which had me let go of it, and then he grabbed my arms.

He pushed my arms to the middle of my spine, not as hard as he thought he was gonna do it. He pushes me against his chest so I can face him. One of his hands holding my arms to my spine. I try to push back, but the pressure he has on me restricts me from doing so. He smiles at me, thinking he’s won. I breathe heavily, I’m shocked, no one has been able to dodge that. Except one person… which is the person who’s taught me that move. “There’s only one person I know who can dodge that.” I say my voice squeaking a little. He looks taken back, like he’s made a mistake. “Who are you, really?” I asked, hoping for him to answer.

“I… uh…” Nightwing manages to let out,  but that’s not enough. He still has me in the hold and he just looks as though I hit him with a ten pound brick. I squint my eye’s to see his blue eyes, those blue eyes, the ones I looked at everyday in Bruce’s mansion. The one’s I saw when I was doing training with him, the one’s I saw that was filled with anger the day before he left. I begin to breathe fast as I look away, closing my eyes. This isn’t real… it can’t be. I then think of something, maybe a way he can respond to me… to tell me who he is.

“Robin, you’re hurting my arm.” I say, he is having a tighter grip on my arms.

“Oh, sorry…” He says and loosens his grip. He then grits his teeth and closes his eyes, looking mad at himself. I stare at him with shock, my heart-felt as though it stopped. I couldn’t believe he just responded, it was a long shot. But it worked! Since he loosened his grip I was able to pull my hands away and step back. I feel my eye’s getting watering, I don’t know why… Why am I feeling like this?

“Oh, not who I was expecting.” I hear Slade’s voice ring up from above. Nightwing and I turn around and look up. Slade jumps down and walks forward to us.

“How’s it going, Slade?” I asked, I’m so use to criminals I talk to them as though they’re just regular people without a record.

“I’m surprised Batman isn’t here… And seeing you with him.” Slade says observing the two of us. “Working with someone else now?”

“Hah, yeah- no.” I say a little angry. “Now, out of all people here in Gotham. Why are you here to make a deal?”

“You really believe this is a deal?” Slade asked with a chuckle.

“No, just testing. So you set this whole thing up to-” I begin, but get interrupted by Nightwing.

“To have the jump on Batman.” Nightiwing finishes for me. “Good plan, but Batman would never fall for that. And you know that Slade.”

“Yeah, I would figure Boy Wonder would fall for that. Not Fox.” Slade says glancing at me. “Now enough talk, let’s get down to what I came here for.”

Slade charges me and I had to do a dodge roll, Nightwing hasn’t given me my staff back, I can’t fight Slade with my fist’s.

“Nightwing!” I yell angrily as though this is his fault that we’re fighting Slade, Slade glances at Nightwing, but then comes after me again. Probably because I am defenseless. I manage to dodge again and run to Nightwing, I grab my staff from him, spin and push Nightwing back with my foot, and turn to face Slade. Nightwing backed up from me pushing him and leaned against the wall that’s behind him.

“Oh, so you are working together.” Slade says chuckling. “Does Batman know?” I shake my head, I was going to charge. But instead Nightwing charged for him, Slade blocks Nightwing and throws him back. I charge at him, splitting my staff into escrima’s. I begin to swing at him, my left arm up, right arm down and reverse. Slade is blocking these, but I will slowly break the defense. Slade swings at my feet and I jump up, spin, and about to back slap him with an escrima.

Slade grabs my escrima pulls me down, then there’s a sharp pain on the right side of my stomach. “NO!” Nightwing yells. I cry out in pain, than it felt as though I am unable to breath for a few seconds. I have tears building up in my eye’s, I look down to see he stabbed me with a small knife. My eye’s flutter, as I try to keep balance, Deathstroke is holding onto my forearm staring at me. Deathstroke let’s go of my arm and pushes me down onto the ground, without taking out the knife.

The impact on the ground seems to bring me back to life, I breathe fast and heavily. Gasping for air, I feel like something is crushing my lungs. I glance over, seeing Nightwing attack Deathstroke out of anger. I look up at the ceiling of the parking lot, my side hurts, I know I need to pull out the knife. But I can’t do it. I feel weak and somehow tired, I’m in pain, I try not to scream out in pain or cry.

“Night Fox, Night Fox, can you hear me?” I hear Oracle over the mic. “Abigail, you’re readings off your suit… it’s going off the charts.”

“I-I’m fine.” I say weakily. I then hear Deathstroke grunt, apparently Nightwing hit him. “I just, fell five feet. I should be fine.”

“Are-are you sure?” Barbara asked with a panicked tone. “Because I think you shou-”

“I’m fine, Oracle.” I say with a grunt, it hurt to speak. “I think I got this case almost wrapped up… I’ll keep you posted.”

She then goes quiet, probably either believing in my lie or alarming Bruce and Tim about what’s happening. I begin to close my eyes, I feel tired. The pain in my side is excruciating. I can’t take this anymore, I begin to doze off. I see Deathstroke flee for some reason, maybe I’m dreaming. But I don’t care what happens to me at the moment. I close my eyes once more, my head falling sideways.

“Night Fox… A-Abigail…” I feel someone lift up my head a bit and a grasp on my arm. I gasp in fear, I try to pull away only to feel pain. I cry out and a tear managed to escape me. “Just-just stay calm.” Nightwing says to me with a calming voice. “I can get you to safety, I can help you.” He says things rather quickly, I don’t know if I’m losing a lot of blood or not. “I’m just gonna take out the knife, don’t move…” He says and the hand that was grasping my upper arm let go. I feel something touch the knife and I begin to freak out.

“No, no… don’t!” I gasp as I am hyper ventilating. I’m freaking out, all my senses are on overload, I’m in pain. I can’t bear it.

“I’m sorry, it has to be taken out.” He says and with a pull, he takes out the knife and throws it aside. I scream in pain and grab onto his shoulder and hoist myself up. I don’t know why, but I’m doing a half hug. I’m kind of just hanging on him. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry.” He pants holding onto me.

I have a bit of relief, but the pain has not left. It’s still feeling horrible. “There it goes again, that’s it I’m sending Batman over.” Oracle says over the mic. I can’t respond, I’m in too much pain.

“No, Oracle I got it. She’s fine, she’s with me.” I hear Nightwing say. Great Barbara knew about Dick being back? She never told me? “I’m bringing her over.”

He stands up, which I had to let go in the process. He picks me up and I hang on to him for dear life. I’m in pain and I’m about to cry, it hurts so bad. I can’t stand this anymore. “Just stay calm… you’re gonna be okay.” He says to me with a comforting tone. I grip onto his shoulder tighter as I feel he’s going down stairs. He’s holding me like I weigh nothing to him, that’s a bit of a change.

“Why… why didn’t you tell me you were back?” I asked faintly.

“I… I’m sorry.” He says to me with sympathy. “I didn’t know what to say to you.” I gripped onto him tighter as I feel we’re going down another flight of stairs.

“Why did you leave?” I ask, I’ve never known about why he’s left. Because he’s never said anything.

“I just needed to fight alone…” He sighed, we’re on flat ground now, so I loosen my grip on him. I’m making conversation with him to hopefully find some answers and also so I can get my mind off the pain I am feeling. “How did you know saying Robin, would work?” He asked sitting me on his motorcycle.

“I don’t know.” I say smiling. “I just figured if it was you and since I was in my armor. You’d respond without meaning too.” He chuckled as he got onto the motorcycle.

“That was pretty clever.” He said in a “well-played” type of voice. “Alright, I need you to hold on to me.” I quickly grab onto him, I’m sitting sideways in front of him, I’m kind of in a lay down position so I can relieve the pain in my side. He starts the motorcycle and then we’re off. Every time we’re turning my grip tightens on him, because of the fear of falling off. I have my eyes closed most of the ride, not because I was scared. Just so I don’t have any of my loose hair from my ponytail to whip me in the eye.

“Oracle, let us in.” I hear him say over the pounding wind and the roar of the engine. I hold onto him seriously tight now, knowing we have to make a jump into the Batcave, this is not going to end well for me and my wound. I feel the jump and I know the landing is going to seriously hurt, I brace myself for the landing, I feel some water hit us. And then we land, we both bounce on the motorcycle. I let out a cry as the pain shot up through my body.

The motorcycle screeches to a stop, Dick quickly gets off the motorcycle and picks me up. He walks me over to the work station where we keep our gadgets, our hospital bed for occasions like this one, and some medical supply. “Is she okay?” Barbara asked with a panicked tone as she rolls her wheelchair over to follow Dick.

“I have to see her wound to answer that.” He says as he sets me down on the bed. I straighten out on the bed as I lay down.

“Where’s Alfred?”

“Let me call him down.” Barbara says rolling over to the computer.

“Okay, just stay still.” Dick orders me as he looks at my wound. “You have an extra set of your armor like you use to, right?” I nod. “Okay, well I need to cut open the suit in order to see the wound easier. Stay completely still.” He grabs a knife from the table and starts to cut open part of my suit.

I feel the tugs and pulls of the knife on my suit, I feel the cool air go onto my skin as it opens. The blood is making that spot of my side more sensitive to the breeze. My breathing begins to go back to normal, I’m still in pain. But my nerves are starting to calm down. But I have a feeling I won’t be feeling okay in a few minutes. “Alfred is on his way.” Barbara say rolling her wheelchair over.

“Good, we need Alfred down here.” Dick says putting down the knife and taking off his mask, he has some of my blood on his hands. “Bruce doesn’t know I’m here?”

“No.” Barbara says looking at my wound. “Wow, that knife got in pretty good.”

“Thanks for the – comforting words.” I joked with a bit of a laugh. It hurt when I laughed, so I grunted as I talked.

Barbara smiles. I hear the elevator moving down and the doors open. I hear the footsteps of Alfred coming down a few stairs. Dick looked at my wound closer, he touched around it and I flinched when I felt the pain. “Sorry.” He says looking at me then back at the wound. “It looks like you’ll need a couple of stitches.” He informs me as he grabs a rag and wiping the blood off his hands.

“What are the damages?” Alfred asked in a panicked tone as he walked over. He looked at my wound. I swear I feel like an experiment.

“She looks like she needs stitches.” Dick informs Alfred as he tosses the rag back on the table.

“Yes, she does.” Alfred says inspecting the wound and then taking a second look at Dick. “Master Dick, pleasure seeing you again.”

“Likewise, Alfred.” Dick says with a smile. Alfred grabbed a syringe filled with probably some numbing medicine in it. I close my eyes as he get’s the needle close to my stomach.

I feel Dick’s hand on the bed by my hand, I grab his hand and grip it as Alfred injects the medicine into my wound. My side then almost instantly felt numb, it had that tingly butterfly feeling. I let go of Dick’s hand and looked at him. “Sorry.” I say looking at him.

“Don’t worry about it.” He says as he takes his hand back.

“Barbara, can you hand me the needle and thread?” Alfred asks as he looks around for it.

“Here you go, Alfred.” Barbara says, handing over the needle and thread. I think she’s been holding it a while. Alfred quickly sows the wound up which stops the bleeding. The numbing is such a great relief, the pain is finally gone. I thank Alfred, Barbara, and Dick. I start to doze off, I’m really exhausted. Alfred goes to grab an ice pack for my wound, Barbara goes to the Batcomputer to shut some things down.

“Dick, are you leaving?” I say as he puts on his mask.

“Yeah.” He says without looking at me. My heart drops and I frown.

“I will see you again, right?” I asked as he takes off my mask.

“Yeah, of course.” He says and begins to walk away.

“Wait!” I say sitting up and grabbing his arm.

“No, you need to lay down.” He says to me and makes me lay down.

“When you left, did you still have feelings for me?” I asked. I don’t know why, but I needed to know. Dick looked surprised about

the question.

“I still do.” He says and he walks back to his motorcycle. For some reason, this make me smile and start to close my eyes.

“Here’s that ice pack.” Alfred says putting it on top of my wound and taping it on. “Now get some rest.”

“Thanks, Alfred.” I say with a faint smile.

“You’re welcome, miss Gail.” He says with a smile and sits down. I lay awake for, what feels like, two hours. Thinking about what Dick said and trying to think of the events on what happened. But I’ve only been down here for thirty minutes. But the battle of trying to stay awake, but the drowsiness slowly takes over and I drift to sleep.

Ah, interesting.

If you're interested, I have just posted part 2

Edited by TheWayToDawn

In my head, Dick became Nightwing because he and Bruce were in a romantic relationship but had nasty break up when Bruce refused to come out of the closet and go public.

Ueheheheheheheh.

I'm interested, but it's too much reading. For now, I'll bookmark it and come back later.

Edited by Isamu_Kuno