Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
The Rocky Shoe

Is gameplay canon in KH?

Not all are canonical, as the story plays out differently than a person's play style. Say you go without any damage, Sora and co. still appear to have spent all energy if not being weakened by an enemy such as an Organization member. However, gameplay does canonically show maturity in combat, as with Sora in KH2.

Aside from dual-wielding and the stupid requirement of having two hearts to do it......eh not much in gameplay is canon...otherwise Sora would've carried Ultima Weapon in every game and stops giving a shit about the Kingdom Key Keychain

Aside from dual-wielding and the stupid requirement of having two hearts to do it......eh not much in gameplay is canon...otherwise Sora would've carried Ultima Weapon in every game and stops giving a shit about the Kingdom Key Keychain

They always make convenient plot-devices to explain how Sora becomes weak again/loses his previous keyblades. For instance, Sora lost all his keyblades in Castle Oblivion, Sora grew weak after sleeping for a year in KH2, Sora needed to relearn how to use the keyblade in KH3D, so all his previous abilities were locked etc.

Edited by atheist123

Certain elements, like Drive Forms, Dual wielding, D-links, Summons, Reality Shifts and Dream Eater links are, but things like changing your Keychain and Gummi ship aren't. Basically, it it's required to deal the final blow to a boss, affects a cut scene (such as Sora being in Valor form after getting his new outfit) or is mentioned in a cut-scene (like Sora talking about having fought alongside Simba and Mushu) it's canon. 

Even though Sora will summon the Keyblade currently equipped in a cut-scene before a boss fight, if you look at that same scene in theater mode it'as always the default, so non-canon.

Edited by Isamu_Kuno

Certain elements, like Drive Forms, Dual wielding, D-links, Summons, Reality Shifts and Dream Eater links are, but things like changing your Keychain and Gummi ship aren't. Basically, it it's required to deal the final blow to a boss, affects a cut scene (such as Sora being in Valor form after getting his new outfit) or is mentioned in a cut-scene (like Sora talking about having fought alongside Simba and Mushu) it's canon. 

Even though Sora will summon the Keyblade currently equipped in a cut-scene before a boss fight, if you look at that same scene in theater mode it'as always the default, so non-canon.

actually i think changing keychains and thus the keyblades appearance is totally cannon, but because what keychain you use is based on opinion on whats the best, and what looks the best, and also situational based on if you need strength or magic or a certain ability, so the reason in in-game cutscenes what keyblade you have  relies in correspondence with your chosen keychain, but in theater mode theres nobody choosing a keychain so they just make it the base, aka, Kingdom Key, i think for future theater modes in future KH games they should have a keychain chosen for every single cutscene, based on what you would have at the time, and what is ideal for the time of the game the cutscene is taking place in. so its cannon in my expert opinion...

They always make convenient plot-devices to explain how Sora becomes weak again/loses his previous keyblades. For instance, Sora lost all his keyblades in Castle Oblivion, Sora grew weak after sleeping for a year in KH2, Sora needed to relearn how to use the keyblade in KH3D, so all his previous abilities were locked etc.

There is really no need for a plot device to explain why I don't have all the spells from a previous game,I didn't question why Rydia didn't have the moves she used to have in FFIV when I was playing FF4 The After Years,it's a reset so the next game won't be broken easily by the fact that your character learned(for example) Meteor or Ultima,having a plot device to explain something like this is unnecessary 

Yes game play is cannon, if it is not you might as well take my childhood away. But really game play is cannon if the story is...well... a game. If the story was a movie and you play a video game adaptation, then no the game play isn't cannon. The keyblade keychains are completely cannon because it is a real... device, key chains exist in the story, they come from the hearts of the world, (thats why you normally get one after you seal a world) or come from the friends you help. You'd say "But you find them randomly in chests!"  So what? chests are cannon because you can see them in cut scenes, and their were keyblade wielders before Sora so maybe some of them store some key chains in a chest. And going by the logic of if it is in a cut scene then it is cannon, in that case save points are cannon too! Like  the start of KHii. Everything you do is cannon in your own game... anything that contradicts that, is a simply continuity errors.

Edited by Oblivian474

Actually, due to the fact that Sora absorbed all of Roxas' abilities, Sora was more than ready for combat and stronger than he was before going to sleep. He only grew even stronger as the story progressed.

There is really no need for a plot device to explain why I don't have all the spells from a previous game,I didn't question why Rydia didn't have the moves she used to have in FFIV when I was playing FF4 The After Years,it's a reset so the next game won't be broken easily by the fact that your character learned(for example) Meteor or Ultima,having a plot device to explain something like this is unnecessary 

True it is unnecessary in some cases, but that doesn't change the fact that Nomura does put in effort into explaining how Sora becomes weaker. The suspension of disbelief isn't a valid reason in many modern games though (due to the media "growing up," where things like this is seen as a plot hole, not a reality of game design) so Nomura will continue making convoluted reasons.

Actually, due to the fact that Sora absorbed all of Roxas' abilities, Sora was more than ready for combat and stronger than he was before going to sleep. He only grew even stronger as the story progressed.

He was stronger in some ways but weaker in others. He did forget his magic spells but he was older so had a stronger body, plus he had Ventus' heart which allowed him to dual wield keyblades. Sleeping did make him lose all his advanced combat moves and abilities, but fusing with Roxas made his potential grow. Sora still had to gain experience to unlock the potential that Roxas allowed as it wasn't instantly accessible.