Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Dave

Safer Sephiroth

It's most likely because his Safer form wouldn't do well in a fighting game.  Those wings would get in the way of your view, I'll bet.

Personally, I thought Sephiroth would take the "monster" label as a compliment.  If he thinks he's above humans and more powerful than them, and monsters are what humans fear, chances are he'd embrace the term, or at least what it represents.  But yeah, I honestly don't even know how many people know of Safer Sephiroth if the Compilation has pretty much taken over the original FFVII by this point.

Something I noticed while playing Dissidia.

When the villains go into EX Mode, their forms turn into what they were at the peak of their power. The Emperor becomes as he is when he rules Hell, Kefka goes into his God form, Kuja goes into Trance, etc. But when Sephiroth goes into EX Mode, he appears as his one winged self. 

Posted Image

But this is not Sephiroth as he is in his greatest form. In Final Fantasy VII, he appears as Safer Sephiroth, when he is two steps away from achieving the godhood he desires.

Posted Image

Now, I know why they went for the black winged Sephiroth. Not only is that a pretty nice coat, a good many people seem to be more familiar with the  Advent Children and Crisis Core version of Sephiroth than the actual FFVII one. Also, for a fighting game, it's probably more workable.

But here's the thing: the black winged incarnation of Sephiroth is a sign of everything he hates, and is essentially the reason he goes mad in the first place. It signifies that he is a monster, and worse, that there are more like him. Being the egomaniac that he is, having this label on him is not something that he should particularly like . Also, about the coat: dang, that's a nice coat, but it too is a symbol of something he doesn't like: that's the coat he wore as a SOLDIER, which is now everything he despises. It is a symbol of servitude, something which Sephiroth rejects later on.

And, once again, Safer Sephiroth is what he ultimate wants to be: a deity at the center of the Lifestream that has transgressed human limitations and physical constraints and become something greater. It's the sign of him at his greatest power. 

So, the question I have is: should Safer Sephiroth get seen more often than he is?

I think I read somewhere that the One-Winged Angel form represents his Safer Sephiroth form. Now, I never got very far in VII so I could be wrong but, I think he only started taking on the One-Winged Angel form after he was defeated by Cloud and the others, and never used it in the original game. So you could say that the One-Winged Angel form is an action-friendly version of Safer Sephiroth.

Edited by Sora_Kuno

I never really understood why Sephiroth has the Bizarro and the Safer forms in the first place. :P

But, yeah, it wouldn't look as good and it would lake a lot of space from the screen.