Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
PrincessKari

Am I American or Am I? (May be offensive)

Look, there is just one tiny little thing on my mind right now.

You see, when I moved schools this year all of a sudden people started telling me that I have an American accent. I don't even come from America! And none of my relatives are American so how is it that I sound American? What are Americans like anyway? Are they as fat and lazy as people say? Or are they genuinely decent people who have guns and a bad health care system? OR are they better than us Aussies? I would hope so! But my question is: What are Americans like? Are they nice people? 

Please Help! 

- PrincessKari 

Posted Image

Some Americans are nice others aren't. The characteristics of a person vary. There are some terrible people, some decent people and some truly amazing people. Not everyone is good but not everyone is bad either. Just because people say you have an American accent doesn't mean you're American though.

You see, when I moved schools this year all of a sudden people started telling me that I have an American accent. I don't even come from America! And none of my relatives are American so how is it that I sound American? What are Americans like anyway? Are they as fat and lazy as people say? Or are they genuinely decent people who have guns and a bad health care system? OR are they better than us Aussies? I would hope so! But my question is: What are Americans like? Are they nice people? 

Please Help! 

- PrincessKari 

Posted Image

That is an EXTREME generalization. xD Out of 1,000-some kids at my school, only maybe a handful are obese. Everyone else is normal. And the Americans that are lazy actually tend to be the obese ones or the illegal ones who take government paychecks for doing nothing. Not all Americans have guns. I live in a community of mostly retired military, so mostly everyone I know has a gun, but the nation is actually quite divided right now. About half have guns, about half don't. Our health care system is also not as bad as other people try to make it out to be. Guess what? It works for 99% of the nation. Obamacare type healthcare would actually hurt way more people than it helped. As for the American accent thing, they're messing with you. Americans all have different accents. On Skype, Ally and Shana (also American) love to make fun of my accent. They also have very different ones. There are so many kinds of accents across the country that saying someone has an "American" accent is so broad it covers everything. 

As stated above, you can't just judge countries, religions or anything, actually, by stereotypes. Every place/nation on earth have their good and bad people. You can't just judge a whole country just because a few people made mistakes. Those people were bad, that doesn't mean people in the same country/team/religion/whatever are bad as them. Stereotypes are the worst and the most unfair method of judging people, nuff said.

What are Americans like anyway? Awesome. That's what we're like.

Are they as fat and lazy as people say? I'm lazy, but not fat. Some people are fat and not lazy.

Or are they genuinely decent people who have guns and a bad health care system? My car needs gas, everyone throw me $5. /shot

OR are they better than us Aussies? I would hope so! We are. trust me. /shot by Sora96

But my question is: What are Americans like? Are they nice people? lol in all seriousness, it kinda depends on the person. I've met people who I think are the nicest people on the face of the planet. I've also met people who I can't stand to be in the same room with. I'm sure there's just as many of both kinds of people in every other country.

Please Help! 

- PrincessKari 

Please Help! 

- PrincessKari 

Well i'm not American or even from a developed country for that matter, but i think you're taking stereotypes too seriously. Personally i don't believe your nationality has much impact on your personality aside from current affairs like terrorist attacks or inflation (those can easily cause frustration and so, if present in a certain nation, will make the people relatively more aggressive as compared to others).

But even in such cases there are those that are nice.

Just because someone's american does not mean they'll be stupid, fat, violent or even the r**arded shit you see at Walmart.

You can be from the worst of countries and still be a great person. You can be from the best of countries and still be  firetrucked up beyond recognition.

And NO being an Aussie/ American doesn't determine shit.

Edited by Lt.Random

America is a horrible place full of fat, lazy and ignorant people, who mistreat animals and think that america is the best place in the world. NEVER MOVE HERE.

Speak for yourself .You may be all these things but I know this definitely doesn't apply to all Americans.Gotta love ignorant blatant generalizations and stereotypes..Ugh

Americans are not all bad. The stereotypes come from those creeps that spend their entire life in Burger King and Walmart. Just like in every country there's good people and there's bad people. Yes, there are always some ignorant people that swear North America is the center of the world. But don't generalize. I myself am not from the US, but I'm an American citizen from Puerto Rico. Americans would feel the same way I do when people say Puerto Ricans are ignorant or stupid. You can't judge a book by its cover, nor someone by their birthplace. Everyone deserves a chance to be judged individually. How knows, maybe Americans are really nice. Like I said, there will be a duality everywhere you go. There's good and bad people. 

As for the accent, I'm told I have a British accent and I am certainly not British. I depends on the person who listens. To some people, there rest just sound plain weird. 

Your country of origin doesn't determine whether or not you'll be a douchebag, just what brand of douchebag you'll turn out to be if you're stupid/extreme/selfish/etc.  America has plenty of fat and lazy people, but that's hardly limited to this country.  Remember, America's one of the world's powerhouses for a reason, and we didn't get that way sitting on our asses eating burgers (actually, a lot of our progress came from screwing over other people, but again, not purely an American thing there).  You won't appreciate everything about a country, its culture, or its people--hell, people who live here have gripes about how things are run.  Then again, it doesn't necessarily mean anywhere else would be significantly better to live, just different, and perhaps in a way that appeals to you better.  But yeah, go with what most everyone else is saying.

It's probably just the way you picked up certain words from shows, people around you etc.  I get told I sound Irish (where I live), English (my mother) and American (primarily because there are american words I opt for since most books I read, and I was a bookworm, were based in the states, words like eraser for rubber, or pants for trousers.  Also the way I say "now")

Regardless of where you come from there will be jerks and awesome people.  It's a stereotype that Americans are all fat and lazy, granted a number of them are (as it is though with any country, doesn't mean the whole place is) but given the vast population they're more likely to be noticed than any other country.  Also people just like TTP.  

I'd never rate a country better than any other (sure some have more money but that doesn't mean you're superior).  That sort of thing is what leads those complete imbeciles online bringing down the entire reputation and general view of their country with bigoted, nonfactual, inferiority-complex, idiocy's.  

All people have different shapes and sizes no matter the country.

Let people say what they want; you are who you are. And only you know what you really are.

Well you see, when God created the Earth he gave America a special blessing. He declared that Americans are superior in every way shape and form and they must conquer the planet in his holy name and smite all the heretics of the other nations.

At least that's what conservative talk radio tells me. 

America is a horrible place full of fat, lazy and ignorant people, who mistreat animals and think that america is the best place in the world. NEVER MOVE HERE.

Like all Germans are Nazis, eh?

You would not believe how often I have heard that one. Just sad, what some people think of other (countries).

Huh I am familiar that some people in other countries can sound like an American in some ways, but anyways on about this country No not everyone's fat and lazy, we don't all have guns, thank god. Since we allow many people to come here theres many races, and stuff so it's not all just american heritage, if you know what I'm saying. We have nice health care bit pricey depending on what kind. and I can't exactly compare to you Aussies cause you guys are pretty great Dx but yes quite a number of us Americans are nice ;P

Edited by Rainbow Dash