•    Sign In   
  • Create Account

You are viewing the forum as a guest. For a better experience, and to remove this ad, please sign in or create an account.

Forum Search New Content Forum Rules Boards Status Updates Fan-made Images Fan-made Videos Livestreams Speedruns Chatroom
Photo

Why the 'friendzone' is bs

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 Tom

Tom

Serious DOOCHEBAG.

• Banned
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

I agree with you on a lot of points Tom, but the reason it is sexist because there is going to be connotation that girl friendzones a guy, she's a bitch/slut/etc. And it is used to shame the girl for saying no because god forbid she says no. Just like god forbid she says yes.
that's why it's sexist
I understand not everyone thinks that way
I understand not everyone acts that way
The point is, that there are people that do and continuing to use the term as if it's not something wrong is just allowing them to do so as well, at least the way I see it.

And the reason that I brought up racism was because legendkillers argument that 'both genders use it' was completely flawed and I was using it to back up my point.

Like I said, it's sexiest because we make it that. The fact that we point our fingers to the so called "whore", it's what makes it sexiest. We shouldn't because both sides do it. However, that is sexism, and it's been around for.....well forever. And it will still continue to exist until our species go extinct or a certain gender's population is somehow EXTREMELY LOW.

But please, no racism. It's like bringing the console war into a religious argument. Crazy shit happens with that. It's just unnecessary, in my opinion -_-

#42 Koko

Koko

i was born to meet you

• Banned
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

Like I said, it's sexiest because we make it that. The fact that we point our fingers to the so called "whore", it's what makes it sexiest. We shouldn't because both sides do it. However, that is sexism, and it's been around for.....well forever. And it will still continue to exist until our species go extinct or a certain gender's population is somehow EXTREMELY LOW.

But please, no racism. It's like bringing the console war into a religious argument. Crazy shit happens with that. It's just unnecessary, in my opinion http://kh13.com/forum/public/style_emoti...

Which is why I feel like we just need to stop using that term
Because I really doubt people will stop seeing it the way it is commonly see. Yknow?

And yeah, no racism discussion haha

#43 Tom

Tom

Serious DOOCHEBAG.

• Banned
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

Which is why I feel like we just need to stop using that term
Because I really doubt people will stop seeing it the way it is commonly see. Yknow?

And yeah, no racism discussion haha

Tanks.

Now let this be a lesson to you people. A GUY argued in favor for this REASONABLY. You can see that it's not all about girls. Be lucky I haven't responded to anyone replies besides Koko, because I'm not in the mood for herp derp.

#44 Koko

Koko

i was born to meet you

• Banned
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

Tanks.

Now let this be a lesson to you people. A GUY argued in favor for this REASONABLY. You can see that it's not all about girls. Be lucky I haven't responded to anyone replies besides Koko, because I'm not in the mood for herp derp.

kiddies take lesson from Tom

#45 legendkiller222

legendkiller222
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

The n word is used to shame black people.

The friendzone is used to shame women.

As well, you can't be racist against a white person. You can be discriminatory, predjudice, etc, but not racist, and that's entirely different topic, excuse me for diverging from the original topic.

Now off racism

You guys are not getting the big picture

You guys are seeing this in your own point of view which is fine and dandy because you're a guy and you don't see the negativity of the friendzone from your side.

Okay, visualize

You are a girl

There's a guy that likes you but you don't like him as anything more than a friend.

He asks you out, you say no because it is your choice.

Later, people start saying things about you.

People call you a slut, a whore, a bitch, say you weren't even worth his time. They make you feel like shit for your choice.

This is where it comes down to.

A choice.

As I've said many times, friendzoning is vilifying a woman's right to say no.

That's why it's sexist.

Have you posted any data? Any actual facts?
Stop trying to make me seem like I'm in the wrong because I don't have facts.
You don't either. It's one opinion against another.

How about we all shut up and watch this smart GUY talk about how it is sexist

I think this guy explained it a lot better than I do.

And actually this points how it can be negative for both parties, which I haven't touched because I am not a man and therefor do not have that point of view.

I have to respond to your claim that racism cannot be done against white people. Racism is the belief that a group of people are superior, so if a bunch of Asian kids act that way to a white kid then that is being racist. Racism in America is more evident against people who are not white because white people are the majority in most areas.

But to the real argument...

You have to realize that when you make a claim you have to support your main idea. This is the foundation of debate, trust me, I have taken argument and debate in college and know how this works. As the negative, one disproving your claim, I do not need to present evidence denying a claim being made unless there is evidence already there by the one making the claim. Also there is no real evidence so I am arguing your experiences that are stereotyping a population.

To the Youtube video, this guy sure formalizes his points well, but his argument is still invalid because he is jumping to the conclusion that enough guys do this to call it sexist. He is using one example as the whole situation. "Friendzone" isn't sexist, but as people on here have pointed out people can act sexist from their reaction to being rejected. Really it is just acting frustrated at the situation. It is completely fine to act like a jerk when you are rejected at first. We are humans and are allowed to be upset and angry. It isn't right to continue this behavior for a while, but it is normal to have some negative feelings at first. Also, there is the other side to this that men "firendzone" and girls get mad about it and talk s**t on them.

This argument could be better taken as an argument that we should not use "friendzone" in a negative way to describe someone who rejects someone else. However, this is still on an individual level because the way you use it is different every time. I can say "I need to ask so and so out soon before I get into the 'friendzone'." Indicating that there is an amount of time before a girl sees me only as a friend. This is not sexist it is a logical assumption that after awhile of showing no or little interest to take things to a more than friends level that I am seen as only viewing her as a friend. Basically it is context and since there is only a slim number of people compared to the entire population that goes through this that it is not enough to lobby to get rid of "friendzone" as a word.

This is more of an immature high school thing as well. As people get less and less angry at the person for "friendzoning" them as they get older because they understand it. It isn't sexist as much as it is immaturity which is seen a lot among high schoolers who are growing, developing and learning about the world.

I think it is great you are questioning things as a teenager. That is something everyone should do. My advice to you however is to argue more clearly and less emotionally because when arguing it doesn't matter what your opinion is if the evidence is not there to support the initial claim. Also, there is always another side that may even be more valid than yours and to find a compromise.

Edited by legendkiller222, 09 April 2012 - 08:41 PM.

#46 Koko

Koko

i was born to meet you

• Banned
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

I have to respond to your claim that racism cannot be done against white people. Racism is the belief that a group of people are superior, so if a bunch of Asian kids act that way to a white kid then that is being racist. Racism in America is more evident against people who are not white because white people are the majority in most areas.

But to the real argument...

You have to realize that when you make a claim you have to support your main idea. This is the foundation of debate, trust me, I have taken argument and debate in college and know how this works. As the negative, one disproving your claim, I do not need to present evidence denying a claim being made unless there is evidence already there by the one making the claim. Also there is no real evidence so I am arguing your experiences that are stereotyping a population.

To the Youtube video, this guy sure formalizes his points well, but his argument is still invalid because he is jumping to the conclusion that enough guys do this to call it sexist. He is using one example as the whole situation. "Friendzone" isn't sexist, but as people on here have pointed out people can act sexist from their reaction to being rejected. Really it is just acting frustrated at the situation. It is completely fine to act like a jerk when you are rejected at first. We are humans and are allowed to be upset and angry. It isn't right to continue this behavior for a while, but it is normal to have some negative feelings at first. Also, there is the other side to this that men "firendzone" and girls get mad about it and talk s**t on them.

This argument could be better taken as an argument that we should not use "friendzone" in a negative way to describe someone who rejects someone else. However, this is still on an individual level because the way you use it is different every time. I can say "I need to ask so and so out soon before I get into the 'friendzone'." Indicating that there is an amount of time before a girl sees me only as a friend. This is not sexist it is a logical assumption that after awhile of showing no or little interest to take things to a more than friends level that I am seen as only viewing her as a friend. Basically it is context and since there is only a slim number of people compared to the entire population that goes through this that it is not enough to lobby to get rid of "friendzone" as a word.

I understand where you're coming from, and you have good points, but I still stand by my point.
I'm not saying we're going to get rid of the word.
That's next to impossible but it rustles my jimmies when people do use it.
Yes, we can stop using it in a negative context, but just because we stop doesn't mean it's not there.

The video, is pretty much what I'm trying to say, and I believe that yes there are enough guys like this to call it sexist. Honestly, the number doesn't matter, it's just the fact that it happens.
And yes girls can talk shit too, but they can still be seen in the wrong when they're friendzoned by a guy.

Also, just because you take a class doesn't mean you know everything about forming arguments and debates. Js.
Not meaning to belittle you or disprove what you're saying, but if you want to make your opinion more legitimate than mine, then you have to provide evidence as well.
You can not disprove my own opinion because of lack of evidence if you don't have it either.
They're both opinions and my opinion is one I'm going to strongly support.
It's really tiresome to have someone tell me I need facts, when the other party isn't giving any facts either.
Especially, since imo, this has nothing to do with facts or numbers.

#47 legendkiller222

legendkiller222
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

I understand where you're coming from, and you have good points, but I still stand by my point.
I'm not saying we're going to get rid of the word.
That's next to impossible but it rustles my jimmies when people do use it.
Yes, we can stop using it in a negative context, but just because we stop doesn't mean it's not there.

The video, is pretty much what I'm trying to say, and I believe that yes there are enough guys like this to call it sexist. Honestly, the number doesn't matter, it's just the fact that it happens.
And yes girls can talk shit too, but they can still be seen in the wrong when they're friendzoned by a guy.

Also, just because you take a class doesn't mean you know everything about forming arguments and debates. Js.
Not meaning to belittle you or disprove what you're saying, but if you want to make your opinion more legitimate than mine, then you have to provide evidence as well.
You can not disprove my own opinion because of lack of evidence if you don't have it either.
They're both opinions and my opinion is one I'm going to strongly support.
It's really tiresome to have someone tell me I need facts, when the other party isn't giving any facts either.
Especially, since imo, this has nothing to do with facts or numbers.

I'm not attempting to argue superiority by saying I took a class, but what I mean is that I have a better understanding for debating and how it goes about. Facts are needed to support an initial claim because honestly your opinion (Anybody's opinion) means nothing without it. I could think that Elmo created the world, but that doesn't make it true without facts. My whole point being is that there is no evidence that there are enough guys to call it sexist and jumping to that conclusion is problematic because in reality it is really a high school thing. I would agree with you 100% if you related this to high schoolers only because high school can be very sexist because it is built around immature stereotypes. High schoolers and very few college kids use this term and therefore it is not sexist it is just immaturity of how teens handle a situation. You're most likely right in the context of your environment (high school), but not when it comes to society as a whole.

#48 shadowblade

shadowblade
  • 173 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

Tanks.

take a serious lesson from tom kids

#49 The One Truth

The One Truth

Step back, Breath, and Relax

• 136 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:59 PM

I agree with Tom sad to say it is sexism in way. But real sad part is that it's going to be there. Just like any stereotypes. Why? Because as long there are people out there living on as the stereotypes and/or until like Tom said our species come extinct there isn't much that can be done.

And as Legend Killer said in any debate you need facts. Saying one thing with out some general form of info to make it true isn't a debate, its more like bickering. Like any most talked about stuff like abortion, the government, religion. Without an idea on why you're debating about, your statement is right with the info and to make the statement true. Such as If ice melts, it turns to a liquid, when liquid is heated up it. evaporates forming a gas. If you not some way true it isn't much of a debate.

I would say more but I'll leave that for another time.

Edited by The One Truth, 10 April 2012 - 10:01 PM.

#50 Johnny Madman

Johnny Madman

The One and Only, Captain Basch!

• 708 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

Reading this and hearing that nice guys like me are "assholes" makes me say:

"Great! Now I have guilt!"

#51 P50L

P50L

Cynical Tactician

• 1,139 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

This reminds me of a certain copypasta. Not this one, something similar. A Feminist saying that men start wars, kill others, start crime, saying that they are liars etc etc blahblahblah. I'm speechless.

I find it funny, too. How only guys are arguing with you or something..and I'M a guy. lel

#52 Think Pink

Think Pink

♥♡♥

• 3,782 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

I must say I agree here. The friendzone thing has always kind of bugged me. It's like people automatically assume that someone else is going to like them, and if they don't then they're just such a godly person that the other person won't date them? It's a confusing concept and somewhat stupid. :// Not to say that it doesn't ever happen, because it may on rare occasions, but it's not the case every single time a person gets rejected.

#53 Koko

Koko

i was born to meet you

• Banned
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

If you're one of the 'nice guys' that I have described, then yes, you're an asshole
But if you're genuinely a nice person, there's no need to get offended.

#54 Tom

Tom

Serious DOOCHEBAG.

• Banned
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

Why, because the girl of your dreams doesn't like you? :o

Been there, done that, over with. That's life. Life's tough. More fish in the sea. Shall I go onto movie quotes or did you get the point?

#55 Johnny Madman

Johnny Madman

The One and Only, Captain Basch!

• 708 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

If you're one of the 'nice guys' that I have described, then yes, you're an asshole
But if you're genuinely a nice person, there's no need to get offended.

I am genuinely nice, by no means am I throwing people into friend-zones.

Why, because the girl of your dreams doesn't like you? http://kh13.com/forum/public/style_emoti...

Been there, done that, over with. That's life. Life's tough. More fish in the sea. Shall I go onto movie quotes or did you get the point?

Yeah, I got the point. I'm not actually in the friendzone described, but I have before and I got over it. The girl wasn't interested and I left it at that. And no, the girl of my dreams does like me.

What I'm really saying was that hearing on how girls get the shit-end of the stick just makes me go, "I suck. I'm not part of the problem, but I suck."

#56 Emo/Yami

Emo/Yami

The One Who Dies in Your Place

• 544 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

I am genuinely nice, by no means am I throwing people into friend-zones.

Yeah, I got the point. I'm not actually in the friendzone described, but I have before and I got over it. The girl wasn't interested and I left it at that. And no, the girl of my dreams does like me.

What I'm really saying was that hearing on how girls get the shit-end of the stick just makes me go, "I suck. I'm not part of the problem, but I suck."

You remind me of some people with minor survivor's guilt.

#57 4Everbee

4Everbee

Idk

• Banned
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

The friendzone is when somebody likes their friend but their friend don't like them back. Well that what I think anyways.

#58 shadowblade

shadowblade
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

You do know what they say,nice guys finish last unfortunately. Its really stupid that in order to get a girl who looks like she could be a model you have to be the biggest dick in the world. To all the nice guys out there who gives a crap we're better off flying solo anyway .

#59 P50L

P50L

Cynical Tactician

• 1,139 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

You do know what they say,nice guys finish last unfortunately. Its really stupid that in order to get a girl who looks like she could be a model you have to be the biggest dick in the world. To all the nice guys out there who gives a crap we're better off flying solo anyway .

Why not go gay or bi? ;-; Your true lover doesn't HAVE to be female...right?

Edited by P50L, 17 April 2012 - 02:55 PM.

#60 4Everbee

4Everbee

Idk

• Banned
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

Why not go gay or bi? ;-; Your true lover doesn't HAVE to be female...right?

You can't just go gay or bi lol