Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
FlipMode

Text Kingdom Hearts: Remnants Of The Darkness [Chapter Based]

Note: The story takes place after Dream Drop Distance and what would potentially be Kingdom Hearts 3. A year has passed since the Xehanort saga. It also marks the beginning of my first chapter based fic as opposed to my usual (and admittedly preferred) one shot pieces. Regardless, here is hoping someone at least enjoys it, eh? :)

Chapter One: Lingering Darkness

A year had passed since the fall of Xehanort, and the subsequent destruction of the mystical weapons known only as keyblades. The only information still known about the weapons and the events that transpired because of them was held in the minds of those who were involved in the war against Xehanort and the darkness.

The worlds had started to reform to their original forms after being almost consumed by the evil powers that were. The foliage had started to regroup and grow, food and drink was steadily becoming more available, natural light shined through the blue skies. And yet the worlds were not completely healed, the process seemed to be slowing. The inhabitants of each world had began to question whether or not they would ever see a truly reimbursed universe. They wanted answers and there was only one that they could ask to; King Mickey. For Mickey was not just a king, he was THE king, king of all worlds.

Mickey sat on the ludicrously big throne within the Disney Castle, a bag containing numerous letters from various high ranked individuals from the surrounding worlds was on his person. He had been sitting for a short while now, skim reading each letter less and less cautiously with each seal broken, as he had noticed an alarming pattern. A large portion of the mail seemed to be questions, or complaints regarding the restoration of a world. King Triton of Atlantica, Zeus of Olympus and Princess Jasmine of Agrabah were among the names which caught the king’s eye.

King Mickey let out an audible sigh as he sat back into the throne. In all his years as ruler not once had he failed his subjects, and yet for the life of him he could not quite work out why the healing process of the worlds had been halted. Dare he not let anyone know of his worries, what would they think? But this had gone on long enough, he knew what to do in desperate times, and thought he would quash the issue before it got more out of hand; he would travel to seek wisdom from his mentor, the old but wise Master Yen Sid.

Not wanting to waste any time, the kind walked the seemingly endless corridors of the Disney Castle until he finally reached the library. He entered, and the held the large brown door behind him, opting for a quieter closure than the usual accompanying thud of the door closing. He sat at the desk, took out his quill and dipped it into the ink, he then began writing on the blank paper.

To all concerned,

I’m sorry I gott’a run off again and leave you guys. But I must, as king get to the bottom of a slight problem regarding the worlds. I have travelled to council with Master Yen Sid on the situation. I trust that Minnie will take over any royal duties until I get back, won’t ya? Donald, Goofy, I will return quickly this time, promise!

King Mickey

He folded the paper into four, and placed it into a nearby envelope, enclosing it with the king’s royal seal. He then left the library, with the door slightly open so that Pluto, the trusted hound would later sense and retrieve the letter. He made his way to the royal gummi ship, and fired it up with a slight hesitance compared to the usual feeling of joy that would engulf anyone lucky enough to commandeer one. But after all, what would Yen Sid have in store for him?

Chapter Two: New Era, New Heroes, Same Evil

The brightly coloured gummi ship hovered above the grassy landing bay by Yen Sid’s Tower, the foliage blowing to and fro from the exhausts that were located on the rear and would propel the ship forward. The hatch lowered and King Mickey stepped out of the ship, which closed and locked itself behind him, almost as if it somehow recognised its owner had left the vicinity.

The size of the tower never ceased to impress the king, who would have grown accustomed to it, given the numerous times he had visited over the years. Even the elevator ride that ascended from bottom to top floors and all between, seemed to drag on as the king rode to the top floor, where Master Yen Sid’s study room can be found.

Mickey entered the study room, which was surrounded by books on the outer book cases, the middle of the room was largely vacant in comparison, except for the wooden desk, and Master Yen Sid who would spend time philosophising there, after all at his age what more would he need? He was wearing his usual blue garments, a blue wizard robe, topped with a hat of the same shade of blue and adorned by a pattern of golden moons and stars.

Master Yen Sid.” Said Mickey as he bowed to his mentor. “I come to you in a time of confusion.” He continued, explaining the reason for the disturbance.

“I foresaw you would arrive here sooner or later, given the current situation of the worlds...” Yen Sid spoke as wise, but caring as always. His voice was gravely and deep, especially in comparison to that of his apprentice.

Yep. But that’s what I can’t quite put my finger on. Why have the worlds not healed yet?” King Mickey asked, as if he had given it a lot of thought, in fact he had thought not much of it, assuming it would be something simple to set right.

Xehanort.” Yen Sid answered him with but one word.

Mickey took a step back in disbelief, had he heard his wise tutor correctly?

You see, Mickey. Those who are contaminated by the darkness, once cleansed of it, they still contain a lingering sentiment of the dark powers that once consumed them. And the same ruling is applied to the worlds.” Yen Sid explained to Mickey, clearly he had researched this as far as he could possibly go without tapping into the darkness himself.

So we can cleanse the worlds of the final bit of darkness? And restore them to light?” Mickey asked hopefully, always seeing the positive side of a ruckus.

But Yen Sid shook his head in disagreement, his long grey beard swaying. “I am afraid things are not quite that simple. While the sentiment of Xehanort exists, so too will the darkness threatening the balance of the worlds.” He informed.

“But how can we destroy his spirit? The keyblades are no more.” Mickey said to his master, while pondering a possible plan.

The keyblade will return, and with it a new master will be chosen, who will as fate dictates, vanquish the final evil from the universe. Doubtless though that Xehanort will be looking at this individual as a new vessel.” Yen Sid explained. And he took out a small crystal ball from the desk drawer.

He placed the ball on the desk, and he and Mickey starred into it.

Through the transparency stood a young boy, aged about 16. He had dark brown, short and messily gelled hair, with cargo shorts and a lightly colourer T shirt, and was well built physically, though slim and athletic in appearance. “This is the boy that we must find, he is our new key. We must ensure he fights against the darkness that threatens to control him, he must defeat Xehanort once and for all!” Yen sid explained, raising his voice at the end of the sentence.

King Mickey nodded, and said “It will be done, master. You can count on me!” Reassuring his master, and he left the room, closing the door behind him after a final bow.

Yet he was not completely sure where to begin his search, what was this boy’s name, and where would he start in order to find him?

Then he remembered, those born in strong light are the ones chosen by the keyblade, perhaps by following the nearest strong source of light then he would surely by heading in the right direction, he thought.

And with this in mind, he once again took off in the gummi ship, and Yen Sid watched the ship sharply vanish into hyperspace. Yen Sid continued looking at the space the ship had disappeared from, as if communicating with some unknown force. He looked back down at the crystal ball, and what was an image of a himself, surrounded by his friends and family.

Yen Sid was growing old, there was no doubt about it and he relied on past memories to keep on going forward and creating new ones.

He clenched it in his hand, and returned it to the drawer it had came from.