As for the whole reason why they haven't put all the games on the Xbox One, I think there there could be a lot of potential reasons why that is. One reason is because the Xbox doesn't sell as well in Japan as it does in the west.
Secondly, porting a game series onto a console that they've never ported games onto before is a big gamble in itself.
They don't know how well received the KH series is in the Xbox community, so instead of waisting their money to port all the games to the Xbox, they put one new game on it to test how well it does on that console before deciding whether not to port all of the games to the Xbox. If KH 3 sells well on the Xbox, I'm sure they'd port all of the games onto the Xbox One.
Also, I think they'd rather not further hinder the process of making KH 3 by trying to port the games to a console they are unfamiliar with. This is probably why they've considered putting the KH series on the Switch and just have not ported it to the Switch at this very moment.
Ok...counter argument time.
1. Just because it doesn't sell well in Japan does NOT mean you shouldn't port the game for the rest of the world. Region-exclusive ports exist. That's not a valid excuse.
2. Um, dude, Square HAVE ported games to Xbox before. Seriously, have you not been keeping up with this? Final Fantasy 11, the 13 series, Type-0, & 15 (as well as other games that are having ports developed right now) have all come out on the system, as have the Tomb Raider, Life is Strange, Just Cause, & a whole list of other games have come out on the system. They're well-versed in porting games to the system by now. That's not a valid excuse.
3. I'm sure they know. I'm very certain they've gotten a TON of feedback on porting the games to the Xbox from many people & I know they continually do whenever they announce anything new for the series, as well as how 3 is doing on the preorder sales so far. Square has also been listening to the feedback from KH YouTubers who played the games, so they ARE gauging fan requests. That's not a valid excuse.
4. That's not smart business-wise. There are a good number of people I've seen who either want to play the previous games on Xbox either because either they've never played the games before, or they played the original PS2 releases & would love to play the games on their newest console & don't want to buy a PS4 just to do so. It's up to the game companies to meet these demands. Like, I get Shout! Factory not instantly licensing every season of Super Sentai they can to rush out DVD sets of them. That's a niche market & it was untested. Kingdom Hearts is a well-known game series by now & has been getting a MAJOR marketing push in the last few years. Everyone knows about it & a lot of people wanna try it. Not a valid excuse.
5. It's not going to cost them ANYTHING major to port the games to another console. Yeah, they'll pay a small team of developers for their time, but the games are already upgraded to widescreen & 1080p 60fps. There are a few more bugs to patch up still that the 60fps patch caused, as well as voice clips that don't play for some reason ever since the games were ported to PS3. Patching these up for a port would be great for everyone, especially since they can just send out a patch for PS4 users. All they have to do is optimize the games for Xbox, which won't take a lot of time, especially since they're familiar with the architecture of the console. Not a valid excuse.
6. The only real valid excuse in this list that Nomura himself has given as the only real reason that they haven't done so yet (even though Square has several studios that could do it & Tai Yasue could oversee the project for Nomura's final review). Yes, they don't wanna hinder the development of III, which is the only leeway I'm giving them for now. They also still need to talk to Microsoft, which isn't gonna be much of a talk, since Microsoft want as many developers publishing to the Xbox as possible. Even if it's just a region-exclusive release outside of Asia, I'd take it.
Please note that I've heard these excuses before from many people & they're at best bullshit arguments & at best just excuses as to why they haven't done it yet. Also, when I say "not a valid excuse," I mean mostly for Square Enix to use. I felt to throw this in here, since I knew someone would argue these points & I thought to remind people of certain things within this thread.
I get what you're saying, but I heard that the reason why they haven't been porting the previous entries to the Xbox is because Sony owns the distribution rights to the series up to this point.
Um, that's BS. Whoever you heard that excuse from is lying. Sony doesn't own JACK when it comes to this series. The entirety of KH is owned by DISNEY, Sony's direct competitor, with Square being the developer. How each is credited in the games clearly shows this. If Sony owned the rights to this series, absolutely NONE of the games would've been published to Nintendo handhelds, mobile devices, or Xbox One. Seriosuly, how could you believe this lie?
Also, Nomura himself has said that it's entirely possible to port the games to other systems.
And all they need to do is talk to Microsoft about it.
Make sure you're presented with actual proof next time someone says anything to you about the distribution of this series please.
Average price for a PS4 game in America is actually $60. This is a huge steal.
That being said, I don't get why Square would announce this without confirming it'll be on the Xbone (or even the Switch).
Because they're too lazy to talk to Microsoft to port the games. Even just a placeholder preorder on online marketplaces would be great.
Edited by Scsigs, 07 October 2018 - 07:35 PM.