Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
Fullmetal Keyblade

Video games Time For Dragon Quest To Evolve? (Mini-Essay)

Critic reviews for Dragon Quest XI were released today and currently the game stands at 88% on Metacritic, giving it generally universal appeal. However in reading a few of the reviews myself (both the positive and negative) it seems the biggest gripe for the game is that it's more of the same.

It's a homage to DQ games and JRPG's and therefor doesn't expand on any rooted formulas for the genre. At this point if DQ XII were to release in say..oh the next 3 years or so and didn't evolve people even including long time fans such as myself would be disappointed. Square I'm sure would see this exasperation in the fanbase but would they view it has enough evidence to evolve DQ?

My suggestion is before even making the attempt to stick in tradition Square instead makes the changes necessary to DQ that DON'T take away what gives the series it's appeal but modernizes the formula and changes the story from a typical Save The World JRPG to something else that we wouldn't expect in a DQ game.

In doing so Square could continue to pay homage to the franchise itself and expand upon the legacy simultaneously..and for myself and many others that would be enough to show that they are listening to us as fans and want to keep the series dear to those who cherish it.The modern gaming world only pays so much to nostalgia before it becomes more of a relic that appeals to only long time fans, and DQ is too impactful and esteemed to die out because it refused to evolve. I hope Square understands this and will keep it to heart when creating the next game, it will always have it's supporters and it's past but it's future is just as important.

Edited by Fullmetal Keyblade