Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Connected

Nomura says Kingdom Hearts III's delay was an attempt to release the game "as simultaneously as possible"

I mean, understandable... But why the 4 days difference... It doesn't make sense :/

This is exactly my feeling, especially because it's customary in Europe for games to release on Friday, which would be the same day as Japan. Every single KH game was released on a Friday in Europe, why are they ruining it for us now?

It's so unnecessary and this 4 day gap will definitely ruin the game for many unsuspecting souls because of how long it will take to play KH3. We can't stay off the internet for a month can we?

In an interview with IGN, Kingdom Hearts series director Tetsuya Nomura explained that the decision behind delaying Kingdom Hearts III's release to 2019 had to do with an attempt to shorten the gap between the Japanese and Western releases while being mindful of its marketing.

"The timing of release that we were actually looking at, we were told by many people, including hardware manufacturers, marketing teams, sales teams that it just wasn't a good timing in the year."

Nomura explained that they had to consider holiday lengths and how stores behaved in different regions.

"...For Kingdom Hearts 3, the [square Enix] western offices had requested to release the game as simultaneously as much as possible between Japan and America, so we were no longer able to just think about Japanese issues and retail situations."

Nevertheless, Nomura and the team still attempted to avoid a delay, but found out they were just not in the position to.

"We of course considered maybe speeding up development to release earlier than when we were told wasn't good, but the development team said that 'No, we just couldn't do that. We could delay it, but we couldn't make it any sooner.'"

Despite the delay, Nomura pointed to the advantage of having a little more time to refine the game before its release.

Kingdom Hearts III will release on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on January 25, 2019 in Japan, and January 29, 2019 to the rest of the world.

Follow our coverage of Kingdom Hearts III at E3 2018, and our live updates on Twitter!

Click here to view the article

I think it's quite reasonable and also a good marketing call on Square, at first I was disappointed but after the recent trailers... GET ALL THE TIME YOU NEED AND KEEP IT AS PERFECT AS OF NOW!

As for the 4 day difference with Japan I don't really mind, I didn't have that much trouble with 2.8 and that was like 2 weeks away from the international release so 4 days are actually nothing.

I will make a Calendar for everyone to enjoy until release :)

This is exactly my feeling, especially because it's customary in Europe for games to release on Friday, which would be the same day as Japan. Every single KH game was released on a Friday in Europe, why are they ruining it for us now?

It's so unnecessary and this 4 day gap will definitely ruin the game for many unsuspecting souls because of how long it will take to play KH3. We can't stay off the internet for a month can we?

well I allready plan on taking my overtime when it comes out or something. I could understand it if it was World of warcraft (people have been injured in stores) But KH3? I have no doubt that it will be A huge sucess but I to see no reason why it should come out in the middle of the week

Edited by Dustin Lübbers

Oh great! And now we have the perfect time! The game is being released a few days after Resident Evil. Guess each one will get more attention...

I live in a country where the price of each one of these games are around 70 dollars each. I will have to make a very hard choice.

Oh great! And now we have the perfect time! The game is being released a few days after Resident Evil. Guess each one will get more attention...

I live in a country where the price of each one of these games are around 70 dollars each. I will have to make a very hard choice.

Eh maybe you can sell a game you have or put 20 dollars on the sideline each month.

Eh maybe you can sell a game you have or put 20 dollars on the sideline each month.

Yeah, I will have to try something like that. I'm being a little bit dramatic too once I won't have time to play both of them... I will pick KH 3 first and RE2 some time later.

Thanks for sharing this with us, Connected! :)

Ah, so this was the reason behind the delay, huh? It's actually quite understandable, given the heavy slew of games coming out from September to December! Shadow Of The Tomb Raider, Spider-Man, Spyro Reignited, Read Dead Redemption 2, Call Of Duty Black Ops 4, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee and others here and there present a huge slew of competition! So pushing the release of the game back to January is a wise and smart move, because that way, the game releases in a month where there's no major competition, and even if there was so, it'd probably only be like one other game! And it also gives the team time to polish up the game and kink out the bugs so that the final product is something truly spectacular!

So really, I'm not bothered at all at the delay! It's the only time Kingdom Hearts III has truly been delayed, but it's for a good reason, and hey, we've waited so many years already! Twelve out of anticipation, five out of development, so just seven more months won't kill us, ya know? I'm very much looking forward to the future! :D

The fact of the matter is, now that we finally have an official release date, we no longer have to speculate on when the game comes out, because we have a clear date! :D

Edited by The Transcendent Key

Obviously, they want to send it out in the best time to make as many sales as possible, and keep up with the proper order of release schedules of Square Enix games.

Shall we review them?

MAJOR: Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - September 4, 2018

MAJOR: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - September 14, 2018

MAJOR: Just Cause 4 - December 4, 2018

Then...

MAJOR: Kingdom Hearts III - January 29, 2019

---------------------

Since they cannot release the game before September, and doing it in October, November, or December will crunch it in with the holidays too much - January was next best time to launch.