Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
The Transcendent Key

I Need Cosplay Help!

Hey there everyone, how's it going!? So then, with Comic Con on the horizon for May the 18th through the 20th here in Puerto Rico, the hype and anticipation for the most awesome convention of the year has got me all hyped up to cosplay for what would be my third year in a row cosplaying in the four years I've gone to Comic Con in a row! So then, with this being said, I'm already preparing for what cosplays I'll don for this year! The plan is to go on Friday as Shouta Aizawa from My Hero Academia, Saturday as Spider-Man with the Iron Spider Suit from Infinity War, and last but not least, I'll go on Sunday as KHIII attire Sora as I did last year, to commemorate the release of Kingdom Hearts III, which comes out this year!

Okay, so now that I've lain it down, there's one small issue! Okay, so my Shouta cosplay came today, and in my past experience, I've always ordered my cosplays in the Medium size range, since Japanese measurements are different than over here, and so for the past two years, it worked. Now, my Shouta cosplay arrived, and it fits perfectly, except that it's a onesie, and I can't get my whole body inside the cosplay! I can either get my legs in or my arms and head, but not my whole body. The measurements are perfect because the cosplay doesn't adhere to my body tightly and it's not too baggy, but the only issue here is that the zipper that is on the back of this onesie isn't big enough for me to fully get into the cosplay!

I'm thinking of going to a tailor to get this issue dealt with, but the thing here is, should I ask the tailor to try to make the zipper bigger, or is it better if I ask the tailor to carefully make the onesie into a two piece cosplay instead? Like, cutting it carefully and making it like a pants and shirt two piece? I'm debating on that, but since I know there are many professional cosplayers here, I decided it was best to get advice here. So, what should I do?

Edited by The Transcendent Key

Is the onesie too short or too snug?  If too snug, an easy fix would probably be working with the seam allowances along the sides of the costume.  Generally there's a bit of additional fabric that you can sew alongside, and then just take out the original seams so that you have more wiggle room.

If shorter, that might be a bit more challenging to work with.  Is it made from a very stretchy material?  There's the possibility of opening it up in the shoulders or adding more fabric at the bottom of the onesie (sewing an additional panel in a place where it really won't be seen).  If you can leave the zipper intact as it is I would probably try to go that route.  Depending on how it is crafted, it could be a LOT of work to re-do, and with a tailor it probably wouldn't be cost efficient to do.

I think it really depends on how much room you're needing in the costume and close it is to fitting.  If it's not going to fit by a long shot you could consider making it into two pieces, but I think that would get rather expensive with a tailor as well, because it would require quite the amount of alterations.  They're really expensive, and depending on how much you paid for the costume it might not even be worth it in the end.

I'd probably explain to the tailor what you're trying to accomplish, and see what they're comfortable with and what kind of pricing they're offering.  They might give you different options. :)

Is the onesie too short or too snug?  If too snug, an easy fix would probably be working with the seam allowances along the sides of the costume.  Generally there's a bit of additional fabric that you can sew alongside, and then just take out the original seams so that you have more wiggle room.

If shorter, that might be a bit more challenging to work with.  Is it made from a very stretchy material?  There's the possibility of opening it up in the shoulders or adding more fabric at the bottom of the onesie (sewing an additional panel in a place where it really won't be seen).  If you can leave the zipper intact as it is I would probably try to go that route.  Depending on how it is crafted, it could be a LOT of work to re-do, and with a tailor it probably wouldn't be cost efficient to do.

I think it really depends on how much room you're needing in the costume and close it is to fitting.  If it's not going to fit by a long shot you could consider making it into two pieces, but I think that would get rather expensive with a tailor as well, because it would require quite the amount of alterations.  They're really expensive, and depending on how much you paid for the costume it might not even be worth it in the end.

I'd probably explain to the tailor what you're trying to accomplish, and see what they're comfortable with and what kind of pricing they're offering.  They might give you different options. :)

Well, I don't really know how to explain this well, since I'm no expert when it comes to fabrics and whatever, so I'll just show you pics so you can get a better viewing of what my problem is.

This is the lower body portion of the cosplay, and as you can see, it fits perfectly, and it's not too tight or too baggy, it's comfy enough that I can move comfortably!

qaQvrPp.jpg

Ha2xV6L.jpg

This is the upper body portion, and as you can see, it fits well, but as you can see, the same case as with the lower body portion, the back zipper won't let me fit into the cosplay completely.

TTlxGXW.jpg

892QBWG.jpg

And this is the zipper on the back. As you can see, it's not big enough for me to completely get into the cosplay, but the cosplay itself fits me perfectly. The zipper it what inhibits me from getting in completely, ya know?

ERTHlbz.jpg

So, what do you think I should do? 

Well, I don't really know how to explain this well, since I'm no expert when it comes to fabrics and whatever, so I'll just show you pics so you can get a better viewing of what my problem is.

This is the lower body portion of the cosplay, and as you can see, it fits perfectly, and it's not too tight or too baggy, it's comfy enough that I can move comfortably!

qaQvrPp.jpg

Ha2xV6L.jpg

This is the upper body portion, and as you can see, it fits well, but as you can see, the same case as with the lower body portion, the back zipper won't let me fit into the cosplay completely.

TTlxGXW.jpg

892QBWG.jpg

And this is the zipper on the back. As you can see, it's not big enough for me to completely get into the cosplay, but the cosplay itself fits me perfectly. The zipper it what inhibits me from getting in completely, ya know?

ERTHlbz.jpg

So, what do you think I should do? 

That is a very strange design for the zipper!  I have never seen anything quite like that, and to be honest I don't think that's a very practical design at all.  So it looks like it would fit you, but because the way the zipper is designed you just can't get into it, correct?

It looks like an invisible zipper was used and, depending on how it was sewn in, it might not be quite as problematic to remove as I initially thought.  If the tailor can replace the zipper to create a larger opening that would be ideal, so long as they don't want a fortune for it.  I would definitely open up the back seam up to the neckline or so, so that way you have more room to get your body into the costume.  If replacing the zipper is too expensive you might have other alternatives for a closure, but at this point I'd really just focus on getting that back more open with a longer zipper that reaches to the neckline.  You might have to raise the zipper and close up some of the lower portion of the opening, but if you have the shoulders fully open you should be able to climb into it without complications.

I hope that helps some!  WIshing you the best of luck. :)

That is a very strange design for the zipper!  I have never seen anything quite like that, and to be honest I don't think that's a very practical design at all.  So it looks like it would fit you, but because the way the zipper is designed you just can't get into it, correct?

It looks like an invisible zipper was used and, depending on how it was sewn in, it might not be quite as problematic to remove as I initially thought.  If the tailor can replace the zipper to create a larger opening that would be ideal, so long as they don't want a fortune for it.  I would definitely open up the back seam up to the neckline or so, so that way you have more room to get your body into the costume.  If replacing the zipper is too expensive you might have other alternatives for a closure, but at this point I'd really just focus on getting that back more open with a longer zipper that reaches to the neckline.  You might have to raise the zipper and close up some of the lower portion of the opening, but if you have the shoulders fully open you should be able to climb into it without complications.

I hope that helps some!  WIshing you the best of luck. :)

Thank you so much for the immensely helpful advice! It's definitely much appreciated! I'll just ask a tailor if I can get a bigger zipper for this cosplay. Thank you so much for your input! :D