Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
Villi1997

Need Final Fantasy Recs

My personal favorite of Final Fantasies is XII. The world of Rabanastre and Ivalice is one of my favorite game worlds. I admit the story has some parts that could be a lot better, but the way XII plays out is not that you are on the front lines, but influencing the world around you while in the shadows (like other games in the Ivalice Alliance).

IX is the best of the classic games, with the classic turn-based combat and character classes. it's also got a compelling story, and almost every character has a part in it that sets them apart.

If you want something that plays and looks a lot like Kingdom Hearts, then Dissidia 012 is a good reccomendation. It's a fighting game that does require some strategy and quick timing, and it uses characters from the first thirteen Final Fantasy games as playable characters. They aren't entirely in character, but it's a good opening to their games.

I think it really depends on what kind of games you like and what type of storylines you find yourself most intrigued by.  Each Final Fantasy game is set in a vastly different universe with ofttimes very different scenarios, so depending on your tastes you may favor some titles over others.  I'll try to give a brief description on each of my favorites and why I liked them:

Final Fantasy X: Probably the most similar to Kingdom Hearts.  Turn-based combat, simple to grasp, though rather linear.  This is great if you don't like to search for objectives but bad if you like a game with a world map.  Has voice acting and cutscenes.

Final Fantasy VI: My absolute favorite.  The characters were amazing, the world was great, and the music and storytelling were phenomenal.  It is an old-school RPG, however, so if you don't like sprites, lack of cutscenes, and voice-acting, this game may not be for you.  A great representation of the Final Fantasy series and one that has a lot to do.  It also features a world map, so the game isn't linear and it's possible to wander off and do multiple things prior to your next objective if you wish.

Final Fantasy V: Very similar to VI only not as good, in my opinion.  The story was weaker, but what set this game apart was its unique combat style and the job system.  If you like customizing units for battle and choosing a strategy based on your character's classes, you may like this game.  However, I wouldn't recommend this to be a first go-to if you're new to the series.

Final Fantasy IV: It's a classic, and I think that's why I love it so much.  The story and characters are great, and the gameplay is simple and easy to get used to.  It is a bit basic, however, and it has an older feel than even VI, so depending on whether you like older games should determine if you play this one.

Final Fantasy IX: I love this game.  It blends attributes that I enjoy from both IV and X.  It has cutscenes, though no voices, and has a slightly more modern flair in terms of graphics and gameplay.  It is set in a medieval'ish era and has a great story and cast of characters.  I think this would be a great intro to the series.  It is simple and doesn't have the best story, but I liked it, and I really loved the characters.

Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2: I wouldn't recommend XIII-3, partly because the gameplay is annoying but also I wouldn't jump that far into the series.  XIII and XIII-2 seemed like very different games, though, and after playing both I think you could probably pick them up independently.  I preferred XIII-2 myself because I loved the story, and felt that the pace was better than in XIII.  The plot was great in both, but XIII-2 had better characters.  These two are definitely more modern, and if you enjoy high def graphics and voice acting these would be the way to go.  They are rather linear, however, so that is something to consider.

I wouldn't recommend I, II, or III to start, and I didn't really like VII very much.  It's a good game and if you're an avid FF fan I think you'd like it, but I think it's a little overrated and wouldn't be where I'd recommend to start.  I have never played VIII or XII, though I have heard that XII is a lot like X.  XI and XIV are online games, and I've heard fantastic things about Final Fantasy XV but have yet to play it.

TLDR: my favorites, in order, are VI, IX, IV, X, and XIII-2, but I also like old-school games so my opinion might be a little different.  Hope that helps!

Final Fantasy X: Probably the most similar to Kingdom Hearts.  Turn-based combat, simple to grasp, though rather linear.  This is great if you don't like to search for objectives but bad if you like a game with a world map.  Has voice acting and cutscenes.

Final Fantasy IV: It's a classic, and I think that's why I love it so much.  The story and characters are great, and the gameplay is simple and easy to get used to.  It is a bit basic, however, and it has an older feel than even VI, so depending on whether you like older games should determine if you play this one.

Final Fantasy IX: I love this game.  It blends attributes that I enjoy from both IV and X.  It has cutscenes, though no voices, and has a slightly more modern flair in terms of graphics and gameplay.  It is set in a medieval'ish era and has a great story and cast of characters.  I think this would be a great intro to the series.  It is simple and doesn't have the best story, but I liked it, and I really loved the characters.

Mystics has done good with these descriptions! I've played these that she has mentioned, in addition to XIII and XIII-2, but these three are very solid in my opinion, and my favorite entries in the numbered FF series! IV and IX in particular have a grandiose feeling of watching a gripping anime or reading an exhilarating book! The stories for these games are well thought out, and I love all the care that went into them! I loved IV's story and characters as well as IX's, and I loved that the Moogles actually served a purpose in the story in IX, which is my favorite use of the Moogles in all of the FF entries! It would be awesome if Mognet was something in Kingdom Hearts!

Final Fantasy X is also a beautiful and amazing game, and XIII-2 is badass particularly for Caius Ballad. :3

I've also heard that Final Fantasy VI is a particularly amazing entry in the series! I've heard that the quality is akin to IV and IX, and since I loved both those games, I'm literally dying to try out VI!

Trust me, you should :].

I've been interested in Final Fantasy ever since I started on Kingdom Hearts.

I've only played Kingdom Hearts, and bits of FFXV (hope to play more) and would love to play more Final Fantasy and other JRPGs.

Here is what I recommend

FFIV

FFVI

FFVII

FFIX

FFX

And here is what you should avoid:

Final Fantasy XIII

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Lightning Returns FFXIII

FF X-2

FF2