Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
KingdomHeartsZYX

KHDays Theory: 358/2 Days is the story of a depressed teen girl trying to kill herself

Um....uh, no offense, but I don't think that theory is very good, nor do I think it's a scenario that could really work. The KH games aren't really done with a particular real life influence in mind, at least not in that kind of a way. The only symbolism in Days is pretty much just fairly straightforward references to Sora through Roxas and Xion, references to KH1 and CoM, foreshadowing for KH2 and BbS, and of course the secret endings of Another Side and Deep Dive. Sorry, not trying to rain on your parade or anything, it's just my thoughts there. :/

I don't think you can put such graphic real life terms and acts into KH: Xion does sort of have a few symptoms of depression, but suicide and depression isn't anything that would exist in the game's universe. The story's about the search for who or what you are, and coming to terms with it, if you want to put a deeper meaning to it.

The only tragedy you're supposed to take from Days, in my opinion, is the whole friendship Xion makes with Roxas and Axel was doomed from the minute they met, and Nobodies never have a happy end. They live, they work, they're destroyed, and destroy anyone who opposes that system. Anything else is a futile attempt at acting fully human. 

Disney wouldn't have allowed a game to be released that was supposed to be taken as a suicidal teenager with depression killing herself. 

While this was an interesting read, I don't think Xion ever wanted to kill herself. Like Roxas, she didn't know what she was supposed to do, until the Organization gave her a purpose. Once given with said purpose, she, like Roxas, carried out her duties as best as she could, and she formed strong bonds with Axel and Roxas. They are Nobodies, and therefore they didn't know how a heart worked, and their friendship, in the most sense, is what fleshed out their hearts, even if they didn't know about it, ya know? It was all a matter of a doomed friendship and harsh circumstance. Xion knew she had to go back to Sora only after having met Namine and talked to Riku and thought about what she should do. She forced Roxas to kill her so that she wouldn't cut his life short, and so that she could return to Sora. You could say it was assisted suicide, but I don't think she wanted to kill herself from the get go, ya know?

Actually, the thing with her having her hood up in some shots and down in others is just symbolism of how particular people see her.

Xigbar sees Ventus

Axel initially saw a blank face (hence the hood)

And you get the picture

Riku probably saw Sora's face when he took of her hood after their fight

Well...KHDays does address many issues which can apply to several Characters:

• Loneliness and not being able to fit in
  • The cold and harsh corporate structure and heirachy of organisations
  • The consequences of inability to fulfill one's duty in their assigned job (i.e. depression associated with unemployment)
  • Dealing with Guilt and 'Existential Crisis' (This one is obvious on Xion)
  • 'Work-Life balance' problems on Axel's side.

There is deeper meaning to KHDays although not immediately obvious unless one reads between the lines.

KHDays was quite a Dark game despite all those countless 'friendship' cutscenes on the Tower Top.

After I had just watched the 358/2 Days cinematic on Kingdom Hearts I.5+II.5 for the PlayStation 4 after not playing the game since 2013, I wanted to watch it just to unlock the gorgeous theme for my PlayStation 4. Upon further investigation, I have come to the conclusion that 358/2 Days is deeper than we all thought. In the beginning, Xion first appears in Day 7. Xion is hooded up, starting the beginning of her depression. The Organization XIII represents her friendships. She has cut ties with most of her friends, except for the ones she cares about (Roxas and Axel). Xion doesn't even talk with them that much, up until Day 24 at least. Here, she begins to talk, as if she were to confess about her depression to her best friend, Roxas. Xion chokes up a little bit, as she doesn't want to frighten him. If you notice during scenes, Xion gets herself into dangerous situations, as if she were to kill herself, but doesn't want anyone to know about her depression. During Day 74, Xion appears with and without a hood in several shots. When her hood is up, it is her depression taking over her, but when the hood is down, it is her overcoming her depression. When Xion can't use her Keyblade, it is representing her being too depressed to do anything significant. When the Organization wants to get rid of her (calling her puppet, "Poppet", etc.), that is a representation of her cutting ties with her friends. Between Days 174-193, Xion is asleep, representing her deep depression. When Roxas is told in the end that Xion has to be killed in order for Roxas to be him again, it is symbolic of her having to cut ties with Roxas, almost as if it were suicide. She doesn't mind being killed off, as she sees herself as insignificant. During Day 357, Xion commits suicide. sorry if this theory is weak, but I felt this was interesting during my viewing of 358/2 Days.

(image credit to semokan of DeviantArt.)

Um #1, day 7 starts the day of her title, not depression. She can't even talk...let alone feel at that time.