Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Dio Brando

My E3 2017 Impressions

e3-logoblack-890x490.jpg

Now that E3 is over I'd like to share my impression on each conference we got.This is purely my opinion and it's up to debate whether anything I'd say here has any merits.

I could be wrong on most if not all of what I saw depending on one point's of view so please I beg you to not take this personally

EA:Well.........same thing each year and it's purely aimed for investors than a core gaming audience.Sure it works for them in terms of sales but for a watching audience,it firetrucking sucks

Microsoft:Despite not entirely selling people on the idea of the Xbox One X,their conference was generally good in terms of exciting their existing fanbase(also DB Fighter Z was awesome) even tho I'm not the target for almost 95% of what they've shown.

Bethesda:I skipped on them since I'm not a Bethesda fan so my opinion here doesn't matter but I did catch up on it later .....it's meh

Didn't watch the PC Conference.

Ubisoft:It's hard for me to say this but......Ubisoft actually had a legit good showing this year(at least by comparison to the others)

Sony:*Sigh*......it's kinda painful to see Sony have a lackluster show when they knocked it out of the park for 3 years in a row but sadly the practice of announcing things too early eventually caught up to them causing them to show mostly stuff that we already saw last year.And beside highlights like Monster Hunter World and Shadow of the Colossus,this is one of the worst E3s for Sony in years

And finally:

Nintendo:I came into this with very,very low expectations for anything as I never expected a single wish of mine to come true........but they did it,they finally,firetrucking,did it.Took them two E3s but they did it.We got not one,BUT TWO METROID GAMES ANNOUNCED.FINALLY,AFTER 6 YEARS OF NOTHING+FEDERATION FORCE,NOT ONLY WE'RE GETTING METROID PRIME 4 FOR THE SWITCH,BUT WE'RE GETTING METROID SAMUS RETURNS FOR 3DS(WHICH LOOKS firetruckING PHENOMENAL).Yes it was a logo for Prime 4 but for a longing Metroid fan,the assurance was more than enough and it caught me by such a surprise I was screaming like a madman when it happened.Not only that but Generation 8 of Pokemon was confirmed to be in development for the Switch,a bit bummed we didn't see a teaser image but I'll live.Kirby for the Switch was also announced and I'm sooo firetrucking loving what I saw even if it's using an improved version of the Return to Dreamland engine and I can't wait to get the game next year.And finally:Mario freakin Odyssey.That trailer....THAT TRAILER.It was the stuff dreams were made of.It was so firetrucking beautiful,the possession mechanic,the level design,the costumes,the references(like Pauline being the mayor of new Donk City)....AND THAT firetruckING SONG.I'M SO HYPED FOR THIS GAME BEYOND BELIEF.If you can't guess by my endless gushing,yes I loved Nintendo's E3 this year.After two disappointing E3s,they knocked it out of the park this year.The spotlight was simple,to the point without too much talking,and I enjoyed the tournaments they did(except MatPat from Game Theory winning the Pokken Tournament which was bullshit).Overall it was an excellent show but again....this might be my bias cuz of Two Metroid games getting announced so I'd imagine that what I'm saying won't set well with most people.

Rankings from Best to Worst for me are like this:
Nintendo
Ubisoft
Microsoft
Sony
Bethesda
EA

Again this is just personal ranking and depending on your satisfaction with E3 this year the ranks would differ from person to person so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt

Despite how happy I was with certain announcements,I feel like the importance of E3 is diminishing as the years went by especially from 2013 onward,a lot of companies began to have alternate broadcasted showings throughout the year to generate hype like PSX and Nintendo Direct which result in sometimes a lot of big news being announced and hype being generated without saving most of the surprises for E3.Not to mention that winning the show doesn't seem to no longer matter any more.You can win an E3 but still get a miserable financial results(Nintendo's great E3 in 2014 didn't turn the Wii U's fortune not even with Smash) and even if you don't win you might turn out a big profit and a sizable increase in stock value.It might take a while but I can imagine a future where everyone would be satisfied with companies doing their own show while E3 disappears into irrelevancy.It won't happen overnight or even in the next 5 years but it's still a possibility

yea pretty much i agree with what you said on the difference conferences. Sony's was definitely a step down from last year. the new God of War looks "ehh," a DLC for Horizon Zero Dawn, the VR stuff, and that Spider Man demo which showed off a lot of quick time events (yikes). it was all just lackluster. i'm guessing they're just going to shift more focus on their own PSX conferences from now, given how they revealed TLOU2 which was arguably a huge announcement for them to not make at E3. 

i enjoyed Bethesda's conference mainly because of The Evil Within 2 being revealed. despite having mixed feelings on the first one i'll gladly give this sequel a try. the imagery in the trailer looked interesting and i'm hoping they they'll take what they learned from the first game and improve the second one with it.

EA and Microsoft were meh for me since none of the games they showed off i was really interested in.

Nintendo had a pretty good conference though. i tuned in just because it happened to be on and it was really good. Mario Odyssey continues to look amazing. the new trailer they showed dropped so much info on you it was crazy. also i love how the bosses are a group of evil wedding planners. like wtf it's so weird but it's great. the game looks like it'll be pretty fun and it makes me want to get a switch (probably won't though cause i've still got so many games to play on PS4 and it's hard to make time for them all these days). and even though i'm not a fan of the Metroid series, i knew the weight that was behind the announcement of Prime 4 so even that excited me.

i'd rank them from best to worst

Nintendo

Bethesda

Sony

Ubisoft

Microsoft

EA

(didn't watch PC show)