Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Dio Brando

Final Fantasy VII Remake shifts toward internal development

Source:Nova Crystallis http://www.novacrystallis.com/2017/05/final-fantasy-vii-remake-shifts-toward-internal-development/

Square Enix is shifting development of Final Fantasy VII Remake in-house. According to several comments made during a special broadcast, it was revealed Naoki Hamaguchi, who was previously in charge of the development for Mobius Final Fantasy, will be taking on the top developmental role for the highly-anticipated remake. He made the following comments during the show:

“So far, development (for FFVIIR) has been carried out mainly with the support of external partners. However, in view of factors such as improving quality when the product goes into mass production in the future, the company has decided to shift the developmental system back to within the company, so as to maintain a stable schedule and have control over factors such as quality. We will be forming a robust system within the company to properly carry out the development.”

It seems Naoki Hamaguchi will be focusing his attention on Final Fantasy VII Remake in light of recent recruitment listings looking for various staff positions. It’s currently unknown what this means for Square Enix’s previous collaboration with outsourcing companies such as CyberConnect2.

And Y'know what that meaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaans

We're screwed. This will become another FFXV 2.0

However if Cyberconnect is involved it might not be all bad. They developed the .HACK games and the Naruto series games which have thus far been quite popular and well recieved.

We're screwed. This will become another FFXV 2.0

However if Cyberconnect is involved it might not be all bad. They developed the .HACK games and the Naruto series games which have thus far been quite popular and well recieved.

Well it seems like Cyberconnect's involvement has most likely ended since they're shifting the development to internal staff

With the programmer of Lightning Returns of all people being in charge of programming the game.

So at least two things guaranteed,we'll wait forever and whatever we'll get will have cut content up the ass

I said it before and I'll say it again:NOMURA.CAN'T.LEAD.A.TEAM\DIRECT.A.GAME.FOR.SHIT

Well it seems like Cyberconnect's involvement has most likely ended since they're shifting the development to internal staff

With the programmer of Lightning Returns of all people being in charge of programming the game.

So at least two things guaranteed,we'll wait forever and whatever we'll get will have cut content up the ass

I said it before and I'll say it again:NOMURA.CAN'T.LEAD.A.TEAM\DIRECT.A.GAME.FOR.SHIT

Nomura can't direct?

*TRIGGERED*

No, I'm not really triggered xD

On a serious note, hooray for this, I guess?

If it takes longer, they should really give this project to someone else.

We don't want further delays of other titles *glares at KH3*

And for the love of all things holy, anyone but Tabata.

Edited by MythrilMagician

Well this doesn't sound good. I seriously hope we don't have to wait 10 years for each episode to release. But with SE's track record I won't be surprised if that becomes the case.

He can direct. But there are three things we should all consider. 1: He's more comfortable directing KH games. 2: Directing a Final Fantasy game also involves possibly having bits of his team be taken by other staff to work on a dfferent game, which is why he couldn't get FF Versus XIII done. 3: HE DIDN'T ASK TO BE DIRECTOR OF THE REMAKE. He didn't even know he was until upper management showed a trailer with his name on it.

He can direct. But there are three things we should all consider. 1: He's more comfortable directing KH games. 2: Directing a Final Fantasy game also involves possibly having bits of his team be taken by other staff to work on a dfferent game, which is why he couldn't get FF Versus XIII done. 3: HE DIDN'T ASK TO BE DIRECTOR OF THE REMAKE. He didn't even know he was until upper management showed a trailer with his name on it.

Wait, seriously!? They seriously made Nomura Director at random? Lol that's actually kinda funny.

Wait, seriously!? They seriously made Nomura Director at random? Lol that's actually kinda funny.

Yeah, they showed him a trailer, and it had his name under the director label. So they made him director without him knowing and decided to announce it to him like some surprise birthday present. Like seriously let the guy stay in his KH comfort zone or at least ask him if he wants to be director of the remake instead of hiding it from him so you can surprise him.

Yeah, they showed him a trailer, and it had his name under the director label. So they made him director without him knowing and decided to announce it to him like some surprise birthday present. Like seriously let the guy stay in his KH comfort zone or at least ask him if he wants to be director of the remake instead of hiding it from him so you can surprise him.

Wow that's hilarious lol. But it does show that SE don't have any more good developers aside from Nomura. And he can take ages making a game lol.

Wow that's hilarious lol. But it does show that SE don't have any more good developers aside from Nomura. And he can take ages making a game lol.

Lemme guess, you mean FF Versus XIII? The game he was unable to fully work on due to the higher ups taking bits of his team to work on XIII and XIV, then fix XIV?

Lemme guess, you mean FF Versus XIII? The game he was unable to fully work on due to the higher ups taking bits of his team to work on XIII and XIV, then fix XIV?

Yup lol

Yup lol

Okay, imagine yourself in Nomura's shoes for a bit. You just got off finishing Kingdom Hearts II. You are then chosen to be director of a Final Fantasy. You lay the groundwork for the story, the characters, and the world, then you announce it as Final Fantasy Versus XIII, since it's a spin off of FF XIII. You barely start development when the higher ups claim parts of your team for Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIV, thus causing your game's development to be halted. Not only that, but you gotta please your KH crowd, so you have to direct KH games while simultaneously trying to work on your FF game. XIII and XIV come out. You think to yourself,"Hey, maybe my game can be worked on now?" WRONG. XIV sucked at launch, and XIII apparently needs a sequel, so your team is most likely unable to come back to you and is most likely scattered amongst other teams trying to fix XIV and make more XIIIs.

2013 arrives, and you announce Kingdom Hearts III early due to either pressure from higher ups, or impatient fans. You also announce the rebrand of Versus XIII as Final Fantasy XV. You now have two big games to work on. But it's okay, you can finally work on your FF game! Albeit with an engine that's hard to work with, but hey, you can finally work on it.

Oh, what's this? The higher ups are booting you from the game and replacing you?! Well that's just peachy. This affected you so hard, you need to get a cat to help cope. But....at least you got KH3, and you can work on that without anything else weighing you done.

SUDDENLY YOU'RE DIRECTOR OF FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE AND YOU WEREN'T ASKED FIRST.

Okay, imagine yourself in Nomura's shoes for a bit. You just got off finishing Kingdom Hearts II. You are then chosen to be director of a Final Fantasy. You lay the groundwork for the story, the characters, and the world, then you announce it as Final Fantasy Versus XIII, since it's a spin off of FF XIII. You barely start development when the higher ups claim parts of your team for Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIV, thus causing your game's development to be halted. Not only that, but you gotta please your KH crowd, so you have to direct KH games while simultaneously trying to work on your FF game. XIII and XIV come out. You think to yourself,"Hey, maybe my game can be worked on now?" WRONG. XIV sucked at launch, and XIII apparently needs a sequel, so your team is most likely unable to come back to you and is most likely scattered amongst other teams trying to fix XIV and make more XIIIs.

2013 arrives, and you announce Kingdom Hearts III early due to either pressure from higher ups, or impatient fans. You also announce the rebrand of Versus XIII as Final Fantasy XV. You now have two big games to work on. But it's okay, you can finally work on your FF game! Albeit with an engine that's hard to work with, but hey, you can finally work on it.

Oh, what's this? The higher ups are booting you from the game and replacing you?! Well that's just peachy. This affected you so hard, you need to get a cat to help cope. But....at least you got KH3, and you can work on that without anything else weighing you done.

SUDDENLY YOU'RE DIRECTOR OF FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE AND YOU WEREN'T ASKED FIRST.

Okay, I just laughed at Nomura buying a cat to help cope! But what you said is true. I don't think this is bad news at all! Now it seems Nomura can fully focus on KH3. And since the ground has been set for FFVII (like mechanics and stuff) I don't think the new team will have problems on continuing Nomura's work.

i like how the FFVII Remake suddenly escalated from being a remake of the original into a full blown trilogy/episodic release that will most likely conclude on the next generation of consoles.

i don't think anyone would have really complained had SE just remade the original with it's turn based combat but just used some better looking graphics, maybe add one or two extra things like some secret bosses or whatever. 

makes me think of the Resident Evil Remake. it doesn't try to innovate the basic gameplay of the original drastically. it builds off of it and fine tunes it creating a much more entertaining experience. maybe that's a poor comparison but i don't get why SE couldn't have aimed for a remake like that. i guess they think turn-based games are a dying breed but even so, the fact that people want a remake of FFVII, a game with turn-based combat, ought to at least give them pause for thought. 

He can, but he should only focus on one game ffs.

KH maybe but even then you gotta put a leech on the man so we won't get more shit like Unchained X

Well if he didn't ask for it,WHY DID HE AGREE TO DO IT?

"I know you already put me as the director of this project, and I work for you, but I kinda don't wanna do this right now, alright?" Is not really the type of thing that tends to go over well lol.

He didn't agree to do it. He was just put in the director's chair without his consent, and he didn't even know until they showed him the trailer.

That's complete bull I'm sorry cuz even if he was put in the director's chair "without his consent" he would have a say on it one way or another

Game development doesn't work as stupid as this

Decisions like this are decided waaaaaaaaaaaaaay before the trailer was even shown and this whole "I didn't know I was the director until I saw my name" is most likely just a random interview statement taken out of context or a marketing ploy to garner sympathy

Anywho besides the baffling degrees Nomura fanboys would go to defend every single decision he makes no matter how bad,there is still the issue of them replacing a competent developer like CyberConnect who proved themselves time and again,with a low-file internal mobile team AND bringing in the programmer of a low quality spin-off with framerate drops just goes to show that Square Enix still has no idea what they're doing with this project

Edited by Dio Brando

Tetsuya Nomura is not fit to direct games anymore. After the Versus XIII situation Square Enix should have just promoted someone else to be the director while leaving Nomura as character designer. I mean seriously KH3 was announced in 2013 and its STILL in development and will be done within the next 3 years according to SE. Lets assume a 2018 release date that's still a 5 year development period which is unheard of nowadays in the industry. With a game like FF7R that has a huge scope that will be spaced across 3 different games i can understand taking more time but with KH3 there's just no excuse if it doesn't release in 2018

Tetsuya Nomura is not fit to direct games anymore. After the Versus XIII situation Square Enix should have just promoted someone else to be the director while leaving Nomura as character designer. I mean seriously KH3 was announced in 2013 and its STILL in development and will be done within the next 3 years according to SE. Lets assume a 2018 release date that's still a 5 year development period which is unheard of nowadays in the industry. With a game like FF7R that has a huge scope that will be spaced across 3 different games i can understand taking more time but with KH3 there's just no excuse if it doesn't release in 2018

I'm honestly surprised Disney hasn't pulled the plug on the series with how the development of it's games is going despite doing such to Disney Infinity

2018 is the last chance they could generate any sort of reasonable hype for the game cuz any further appearances in E3 without a playable demo and the general gaming public would eventually stop caring

Hmm, well this is an interesting update. So in other words, does this mean that Nomura is no longer involved with FFVII Remake? If that's the case, then that means he can put all of his attention into Kingdom Hearts III, and if that's the way it goes, then I'm glad!

And well, let's just hope the ones handling VII Remake don't screw things up for fans of the original, ya know?

Edited by The Transcendent Key

Hmm, well this is an interesting update. So in other words, does this mean that Nomura is no longer involved with FFVII Remake? If that's the case, then that means he can put all of his attention into Kingdom Hearts III, and if that's the way it goes, then I'm glad!

And well, let's just hope the ones handling VII Remake don't screw things up for fans of the original, ya know?

As long as Tabata doesn't take over, it'll be fine.