Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

Well wasn't that nice waking up to new disappointing news from the Mouse House. 

Wreck It Ralph 2 has been pushed back all the way to thanksgiving next year instead of it's welcoming release in march. replaced with a live action movie.

We won't be seeing Gigantic anytime soon unless something magical happens on D23. Expect to wait all the way to 2020

but...

If you LOVE Disney's remakes you're gonna have yourself the best of time. (while I crave for more creativity and less safety from the studio)

Mulan will release next year in the winter

Next up is likely Dumbo or Aladdin somewhere in 2019

Include that with the awfully unnecessary Lion King CGI coming at the end of 2019

Can I just ask one question?

What's the appeal with these remakes aside from nostalgia?

Disney is spending bucks on these remakes and yes while I admit that Jungle Book 2016 wasn't soo bad but some of them still feel very cheap compared to their counterparts (I mean their hand drawn adaptions)

Do people really want a repeat of the same stories over new risky creative ones. I know very well that animating movies takes time but I just don't understand why people would want to waste their money on remakes over newly told stories in animation from Disney like last years Zootopia & Moana. 

Walt Disney would have been very disappointed if he was alive at this point seeing what's going on with his creation (called studio)

Don't blame Mickey blame the people that sit and make these decisions for quick bucks.

Oh and also Frozen 2 is coming 2019 thanksgiving (sarcastically) yay

Someone wake me up when Disney is creating their first Paperman styled feature film. It's going to be a long slumber for now on.

Edited by IwasBornAsVentus

Best things Disney does animation-wise is new stuff (not counting Pixar here, they do amazing sequels). I really hate Gigantic being pushed so far. The last new thing we had from them was Moana, and it's going to be a really long period of time (Christmas 2016 to 2020) without a new IP. :( I have to admit that they have done many new things recently too. Zootopia (2015), Big Hero 6 (2014), Frozen (2013) and Wreck-it-Ralph (2012). That's 5 new IPs in 5 years. Really disappointing not having another one for 2017/18 :(

Some of these stories are still relevant today; in the case of Mulan, for instance, it will help a lot with Asian-American representation in cinema, something that's pretty lacking.

Disney wasn't the first company to tell these stories, either, they just did it (arguably) the best. They've always drawn (sometimes more directly than others) from different cultures and stories of the past, and that continues to be the same.

got worried this was going to impact the actual industry of animation lol

honestly i don't pay the live action movies much mind, although i may finally go see one whenever the Aladin remake comes out as it's one of my favorite Disney movies. so far i just haven't been seeing the appeal of the live action remakes. maybe it's because the ones we've gotten so far were based off of movies i was originally indifferent towards. 

Jungle Book? Beauty and the Beast? Pete's Dragon? all passes for me. i don't hate the originals but i'm just "eh" on them. 

i see the remakes as a way for Kids of this generation to experience but in live action because i doubt a lot of kids nowadays would want to watch a movie with the old animations like Aladdin or Cinderella had. They would most likely want something modernized in a way and not have to search the internet to find an old fuzzy looking DVD movie because that's really the only way people can watch old Disney movies am i right? Plus they bring back the memories of those movies for the Adults and elders so that's kinda nice. 

Aw man, we have to wait a bit longer for Wreck-It Ralph 2!? That sucks! D:

Well, it looks like Disney is being dominated by the remake fever! It's not that I'm against remakes, but I honestly think that they should focus more on bold, new ideas! That's what made them famous in the first place! They should take risks, and they should be bold! Playing it too safe might not be good in the long run! Like I said, I'm not against the remakes, but I want to see more original work rather than an adaption of a film I'm already familiar with, ya know?

But well, things are the way they are! :P

What's the appeal with these remakes aside from nostalgia?

Because they make a lot of money! like, box-office breaking records amount of money. Out of all of Disney's studios, it's their Live-Action movie departments that's been suffering with the most losses. Who really remembers Tommorowland, John Carter, Princess of Katwe etc? It's their remakes that are more profitable (and cost effective because it's an adaptation as opposed to an original story).

Heck, I even prefer the Live-Action version of The Jungle Book over the animated version because it's more faithful to the book.

But yeah, Gigantic being moved all the way to 2020 just seems outright insulting to me. Disney Animation was as successful as it is because of all the original ideas they kept pumping out. I'm not against in-house sequels, but to push Gigantic just to promote those movies just seems really cynical to me.

Wreck it Ralph 2?interesting hopefully its going to be more Videogameish than the first one instead of deciding midway *yea now lets make an averrage kids movie now* while i do like that the first one got all these different character together it dint do much with them aside from the Anonymous villians meetings

Ps a sora cameo would be freaking amazing?

Edited by Dustin Lübbers