Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
The Transcendent Key

TV Once Upon A Time -- General Discussion

Hey there everyone, how's it going!? So then, I wanted to talk to you all about a show I've been watching for years now, and I'm sure it's a show a good many of you have watched as well! And I'm talking about...

Once_Upon_a_Time_title_card.jpg

Now, for all those who know about this show, which is a story that mixes in various different Grim and Disney characters together in a darker setting, right now it's in its sixth season! Now, the show is very good, and I've loved it from the get go, but apparently, the ratings for the show haven't been the best for a while now, thus many are fearing that the show will be cancelled! 

Now, right now, at where the story is currently standing at, everything is leading up to the point of the "Final Battle" as the Black Fairy says. Now, the way things are building up, especially with Emma and Hook engaged, I think that it's safe to say that this season should be the show's last. We've gotten to a point where the most important characters have gotten their stories told, and right now, after the Black Fairy, I really don't see what other mighty villain can be put to surpass her, since she's apparently the source of all Black Magic, ya know? So honestly, I think the show should end on a high note with this season, as I think that it's going to, with Emma and Hook's wedding being the "Happily Ever After" so to speak! I would much prefer the series ends now then for it to decline in popularity and get cancelled, because let me tell you, I've invested many years of my life on these characters, so I really don't want to see their stories unfinished!

But what about all of you? Do you, like me, think the show should end with this season? Or do you think it should continue?

i haven't seen this show in ages so i'm not really caught up enough to decide if it should go on a lot longer. But i'm halfway through the fifth season i believe (the one with Brave and Emma being the dark lord) so as of right now i think it should continue on but i'll probably give out a more proper answer someday. although I think it would be cool if Once upon a time continues that they would put some KH elements and the original Characters into the show too while keeping the cartoon Disney characters away to keep it more serious. I'd love to see a type of friendship between Sora and Ben too, that would be pretty amazing. Although i think thats only gonna go as far as a fan fiction rather than an actual thing, I doubt ABC would add KH or Sora in general into the show because well Sora isn't Sora if he isn't with Donald and Goofy and i doubt they would add both of them in the show. Plus some of the Disney characters are vital to the KH plot like Mickey yen sid etc. so i guess i'll just dream. 

Edited by Finn and vigor

I'd like to see it go off on a high note: As much as I'd prefer nine seasons, like a lot of shows get, this "Final Battle" thing seems to be a final deal, with the book on its "Last Chapter". 

Bringing in the Black Fairy NOW, and saying she created the Dark Curse and such, seems like a sort of final season thing some shows pull, when the plot gets crazy due to the end being near. 

To be honest, with the short lived comic series, there's potential to end the tv series, and create some sort of Game of Thrones style prequel series, with in depth plots leading up to the Dark Curse, and starting way back before Regina was born, with more detail than there's been so far. It's probably not likely, though. 

I'd just like to see it go on a high note, and not slip any further in quality: there's been a few plot flubs, and some minor effects seem less detailed these days. I don't want a show I've stuck with for six years end up a watered down, pandering crapfest. If this is really "The Final Battle", the knock of the Black Annoyance, have Hook and Emma marry in a sickingly sweet wedding, and let it end Happily Ever After (And possible rerun from season 1 for the crap of it). 

I have really enjoyed this show over the course of several years and would hate to see it get cancelled.  I would, however, like to see it end before things get whacky and for it to end on a decent note.  I think season six is the perfect close to this chapter in the story.  While I've enjoyed seeing it year after year, I agree that this is rather "final" and that it would be best not to continue.

Having said that, this is supposedly the end of this series arc.  While there may be a season 7 in the making they do not plan to follow the same plot course as they are now, or even hold all of the same characters.  They were talking about doing a season 7 with Regina, Gold, Emma, and Hook specifically, but no others were mentioned.  They wanted to go in a different direction, which could be dangerous if you ask me.  You can view my sources here and here.

My hope is that they wrap everything up well for this season, however.  I don't want some gnawing cliff-hanger of an ending where you don't know where people are going to end up going.

i haven't seen this show in ages so i'm not really caught up enough to decide if it should go on a lot longer. But i'm halfway through the fifth season i believe (the one with Brave and Emma being the dark lord) so as of right now i think it should continue on but i'll probably give out a more proper answer someday. although I think it would be cool if Once upon a time continues that they would put some KH elements and the original Characters into the show too while keeping the cartoon Disney characters away to keep it more serious. I'd love to see a type of friendship between Sora and Ben too, that would be pretty amazing. Although i think thats only gonna go as far as a fan fiction rather than an actual thing, I doubt ABC would add KH or Sora in general into the show because well Sora isn't Sora if he isn't with Donald and Goofy and i doubt they would add both of them in the show. Plus some of the Disney characters are vital to the KH plot like Mickey yen sid etc. so i guess i'll just dream. 

I've also always wondered what it would be like if Kingdom Hearts was added into the fray in Once Upon A Time! A live adaption of Sora in that universe would be very interesting to see, as many of the themes of the show resonate well with Kingdom Hearts in general, ya know? But like you said, we can probably only imagine. Cuz there'd be too many conflicting points that would confuse people even more, unless the story would make it so that Sora is visiting an alternate universe where the Seven Princesses Of Light are totally different people, ya know?

Ah, and regarding your comment, you have almost caught up to the show! Trust me, when you see what's going on, you'll probably agree with this current season being what should be the last season of the show, ya know? :)

I'd like to see it go off on a high note: As much as I'd prefer nine seasons, like a lot of shows get, this "Final Battle" thing seems to be a final deal, with the book on its "Last Chapter". 

Bringing in the Black Fairy NOW, and saying she created the Dark Curse and such, seems like a sort of final season thing some shows pull, when the plot gets crazy due to the end being near. 

To be honest, with the short lived comic series, there's potential to end the tv series, and create some sort of Game of Thrones style prequel series, with in depth plots leading up to the Dark Curse, and starting way back before Regina was born, with more detail than there's been so far. It's probably not likely, though. 

I'd just like to see it go on a high note, and not slip any further in quality: there's been a few plot flubs, and some minor effects seem less detailed these days. I don't want a show I've stuck with for six years end up a watered down, pandering crapfest. If this is really "The Final Battle", the knock of the Black Annoyance, have Hook and Emma marry in a sickingly sweet wedding, and let it end Happily Ever After (And possible rerun from season 1 for the crap of it). 

Yeah, the show should definitely go off on a high note while it still can, ya know? Like you've stated, the whole "Final Battle" is indeed being portrayed as a big deal, and the show is definitely getting that ultimate endgame feel! So I'm sure that after the final battle, Emma and Hook will indeed marry, and the story will hopefully provide closure in a way that satisfies us, the fans, ya know? I hope nothing is left inconclusive! :O

I have really enjoyed this show over the course of several years and would hate to see it get cancelled.  I would, however, like to see it end before things get whacky and for it to end on a decent note.  I think season six is the perfect close to this chapter in the story.  While I've enjoyed seeing it year after year, I agree that this is rather "final" and that it would be best not to continue.

Having said that, this is supposedly the end of this series arc.  While there may be a season 7 in the making they do not plan to follow the same plot course as they are now, or even hold all of the same characters.  They were talking about doing a season 7 with Regina, Gold, Emma, and Hook specifically, but no others were mentioned.  They wanted to go in a different direction, which could be dangerous if you ask me.  You can view my sources here and here.

My hope is that they wrap everything up well for this season, however.  I don't want some gnawing cliff-hanger of an ending where you don't know where people are going to end up going.

Yeah, I really hope that the ending is definitive and final! And well, as for a Season 7, I really think there shouldn't be! The show should just end at Season 6 and leave it at that, ya know? Because that way, the story will have ended, and everything will have been resolved! But if a Season 7 were made and ratings were lacking, then the show would be cancelled, and we'd forever wonder what would happen next, ya know? So yes, I hope that Season 6 ends up being the final chapter!

IMO, this series has been deteriorating since roughly the second half of season 3 to season 4 at which point it was consistently weak. 

- Villains have either been below their classic standards--far below such as Maleficent and Hades (losing a child, winning another villain's heart, what the hell kind of dark, earth rattling agendas are those?) or had corny, anticlimactic conclusions like Ursula and even most recently, The Evil Queen.

- Protagonists were abandoned with little to no solid conclusion such as Jefferson (I've been jonesing to see him again) and strong figures with conviction, namely Robin Hood and Hook were demoted to purse dogs.

- Most backstories became added as plot devices or to make new characters fit rather than for the purpose of eloquence and contained unnecessary elements.

- There have been character conflicts that were irrational messes (Ex. Dark One Emma shutting everyone out which accomplished nothing apart from convincing them that she was evil).

- Major characters revived from death, one of said deaths was even a knock off of Buffy The Vampire Slayer though admittedly, it was well performed and I'm not actually a fan of the Buffy and Angel ship which the knocked off moment pertained to.

- Then we have redundant plot devices, the Belle/Rumple relationship and all these pregnancies. 

- Zelena. She's been consistently useless and well, inconsistent ever since she got knocked up. She goes back and forth between wanting to be good and wicked and has served no purpose basically this entire season and very little in the last two or so. Though I haven't seen the latest episode yet and the teaser did suggest that she has a plot with the Black Fairy now. We'll see how that goes. 

Characterizing the Black Fairy as the source of all darkness does effectively finalize the series and so far this season has been its redemption. Jekyll and Hyde were the best things to happen to this series in a long time, I hate that they didn't last longer (and I love the actor who played Hyde), the Evil Queen was a twisted genius and finally, Belle has gotten a set and put Rumple on a damn leash and he's getting a clue.

To go out at this point would be to do so respectably. 

Unfortunately, however, a 7th season has been considered and the premise is that it will be some form of "reset". 

Details here:

https://tvline.com/2017/02/16/once-upon-a-time-season-7-spoilers-cast/

It sounds absurd and I am concerned. 

Edited by Ventus_

IMO, this series has been deteriorating since roughly the second half of season 3 to season 4 at which point it was consistently weak. 

- Villains have either been below their classic standards--far below such as Maleficent and Hades (losing a child, winning another villain's heart, what the hell kind of dark, earth rattling agendas are those?) or had corny, anticlimactic conclusions like Ursula and even most recently, The Evil Queen.

- Protagonists were abandoned with little to no solid conclusion such as Jefferson (I've been jonesing to see him again) and strong figures with conviction, namely Robin Hood and Hook were demoted to purse dogs.

- Most backstories became added as plot devices or to make new characters fit rather than for the purpose of eloquence and contained unnecessary elements.

- There have been character conflicts that were irrational messes (Ex. Dark One Emma shutting everyone out which accomplished nothing apart from convincing them that she was evil).

- Major characters revived from death, one of said deaths was even a knock off of Buffy The Vampire Slayer though admittedly, it was well performed and I'm not actually a fan of the Buffy and Angel ship which the knocked off moment pertained to.

- Then we have redundant plot devices, the Belle/Rumple relationship and all these pregnancies. 

- Zelena. She's been consistently useless and well, inconsistent ever since she got knocked up. She goes back and forth between wanting to be good and wicked and has served no purpose basically this entire season and very little in the last two or so. Though I haven't seen the latest episode yet and the teaser did suggest that she has a plot with the Black Fairy now. We'll see how that goes. 

Characterizing the Black Fairy as the source of all darkness does effectively finalize the series and so far this season has been its redemption. Jekyll and Hyde were the best things to happen to this series in a long time, I hate that they didn't last longer, the Evil Queen was a twisted genius and finally, Belle has gotten a set and put Rumple on a damn leash and he's getting a clue.

To go out at this point would be to do so respectably. 

Unfortunately, however, a 7th season has been considered and the premise is that it will be some form of "reset". 

Details here:

Wow, mentioning all of that you just mentioned, no wonder the series has had low ratings for a while now! :O

I agree with many of the things you've said here! There are some characters that have stopped development and have become somewhat stuck in place, if that makes sense! And I agree that Zelena wasn't really doing anything. Every time I'd see her there, I'd be like: "Okay, she's got Robin, and she's living on her own...where do we go from here?" I did love the whole arc with Anna and Elsa and the Dark Swan arc as well, and this Season has been pretty badass! Jekyll and Hyde were definitely badass, and Regina's conflict with her bitter half was entertaining to see! And I think that the characters that have been developed well the most have been Regina, Rumple, Hook, and Emma herself! Snow White and Prince Charming have also come into their own! And I've really loved the Rumple/Belle relationship, it's my favorite in the series!

Ooh, and I also loved the whole Underworld arc when the heroes were attempting to bring back Hook! That was a great arc! :3 And the Neverland arc was one of the best in the series! :3

But yes, this arc should be the final one, and end the series on a high note! :3

Wow, mentioning all of that you just mentioned, no wonder the series has had low ratings for a while now! :O

I agree with many of the things you've said here! There are some characters that have stopped development and have become somewhat stuck in place, if that makes sense! And I agree that Zelena wasn't really doing anything. Every time I'd see her there, I'd be like: "Okay, she's got Robin, and she's living on her own...where do we go from here?" I did love the whole arc with Anna and Elsa and the Dark Swan arc as well, and this Season has been pretty badass! Jekyll and Hyde were definitely badass, and Regina's conflict with her bitter half was entertaining to see! And I think that the characters that have been developed well the most have been Regina, Rumple, Hook, and Emma herself! Snow White and Prince Charming have also come into their own! And I've really loved the Rumple/Belle relationship, it's my favorite in the series!

Ooh, and I also loved the whole Underworld arc when the heroes were attempting to bring back Hook! That was a great arc! :3 And the Neverland arc was one of the best in the series! :3

But yes, this arc should be the final one, and end the series on a high note! :3

The Underworld arc had the potential to be so much better had Hades not been an inconsistent, lovesick idiot!

I concur that Neverland was one of the best, Peter Pan was the last strong villain until Hyde. It was a bit of a stretch to make him Rumple's father but passable. 

Interesting Fact: In James Barry's original play, Neverland was actually Heaven. Hence how aging didn't occur there. Everyone there is dead.

Shame KH didn't do anything with that, such as making Neverland the place of lost hearts within the realm of sleep.    

Details here:

The reset idea is terrible, and everyone involved should feel bad. 

That's like when The X-Files cast new people in season nine, and got canned as quickly as possible due to a steady ratings drop.

I'd prefer OUAT go off with a salute in season six, and end as a good, better than most fantasy show than become some goofy crap, with a "girl with a twinkle in her eye" (What is she, a geode? People don't twinkle.) obviously limping along, desperate for ratings. 

That's like when The X-Files cast new people in season nine, and got canned as quickly as possible due to a steady ratings drop.

I'd prefer OUAT go off with a salute in season six, and end as a good, better than most fantasy show than become some goofy crap, with a "girl with a twinkle in her eye" (What is she, a geode? People don't twinkle.) obviously limping along, desperate for ratings. 

I agree. 

This feels like it would be kinda like Being Human UK, when the main cast started leaving the show in the third season, instead of ending it, they got a new cast and it was terrible. 

I agree. 

This feels like it would be kinda like Being Human UK, when the main cast started leaving the show in the third season, instead of ending it, they got a new cast and it was terrible. 

I'd rather see it be cancelled than rebooted: it never works, and it certainly won't work on a show with six seasons of pre-set mythology 

The Underworld arc had the potential to be so much better had Hades not been an inconsistent, lovesick idiot!

I concur that Neverland was one of the best, Peter Pan was the last strong villain until Hyde. It was a bit of a stretch to make him Rumple's father but passable. 

Interesting Fact: In James Barry's original play, Neverland was actually Heaven. Hence how aging didn't occur there. Everyone there is dead.

Shame KH didn't do anything with that, such as making Neverland the place of lost hearts within the realm of sleep.    

Yeah, I get what you mean! xD I mean, love is a compelling reason for any given action, but with Hades, I dunno, it just didn't seem right for him. I always figured him to be a cold hearted bastard, like the Hades from the Disney animated Hercules, ya know? But oh well, we get what we get, eh? xD

Oh, Pan was definitely an intriguing villain, and his connection to Rumple was definitely insanely badass! I really loved that plot twist! 

Ooh, so Neverland was actually supposed to be heaven? Intriguing! :O OMG, and I had never thought about that concept you just pitched about lost hearts in Neverland! That would've been perfect! :')

Yeah, resetting something that has already been going for years and years is a terrible move, especially considering that the audience is attached to the characters as we know them! Taking all that away really seems like it would be a douche thing to do! Like, after all these years of investment, it would be a shock if it eventually didn't matter at all because of some reset! Yeesh, just thinking about it gives me chills! D:

Yes, I hope Season 6 is the end! X_X

I agree. 

Well, let's hope OUAT doesn't follow this pattern, cuz it'd be a shame if it did!

I'd rather see it be cancelled than rebooted: it never works, and it certainly won't work on a show with six seasons of pre-set mythology 

Indeed, it's like I was saying! People are attached to these characters, and there's already been so much development! I really don't want all of that to be for nothing! D:

Yeah, I get what you mean! xD I mean, love is a compelling reason for any given action, but with Hades, I dunno, it just didn't seem right for him. I always figured him to be a cold hearted bastard, like the Hades from the Disney animated Hercules, ya know? But oh well, we get what we get, eh? xD

Exactly! I'm not against love at all, I'm actually quite the hopeless romantic but Hades isn't supposed to love, he's supposed to be a twisted, self-empowered badass.

What he did with Gaston was his finest act, the one small step in the right direction that they'd taken him. 

Exactly! I'm not against love at all, I'm actually quite the hopeless romantic but Hades isn't supposed to love, he's supposed to be a twisted, self-empowered badass.

What he did with Gaston was his finest act, the one small step in the right direction that they'd taken him. 

Indeed! Though, to be fair, the personality of the character was spot on, except for that whole love-sick side of things! I even think that the actor was trying to portray a bit of James Woods into the role, which I say he did admirably well!

And yeah, I feel ya! I'm also a sucker for romance! But when it's portrayed, it should be done so in the best way and in the best context, ya know? Not every villain has to be open to love. Some of them are irredeemably evil!

Indeed! Though, to be fair, the personality of the character was spot on, except for that whole love-sick side of things! I even think that the actor was trying to portray a bit of James Woods into the role, which I say he did admirably well!

And yeah, I feel ya! I'm also a sucker for romance! But when it's portrayed, it should be done so in the best way and in the best context, ya know? Not every villain has to be open to love. Some of them are irredeemably evil!

I concur, when he wasn't lovesick, he was brilliant. I really did love the actor choice. 

I've seen him in antagonistic roles on the Hallmark channel and he's quite good in the typecast. 

Ugh. After that last episode, I'm annoyed as hell with Rumple! 

He's finally getting the family he wanted and he has to pull this shit! What a colossal idiot! 

Those were my thoughts exactly.  This is all the more reason that I think this show should definitely end before things get even worse for these characters.  How many times is Rumple going to flip sides and continuously screw up?  He nearly lost Belle for good after his last stunt, and, after achieving the near-impossible and acquiring both his wife AND son back, he's going to side with the enemy and find sympathy for a woman who's honestly just being selfish?  He should still be mad at her for taking away his chance at being a hero; she pretty much sentenced him to a cursed life out of her own selfishness, or at least that's how I'm seeing it.

I'm not sure how many episodes that this season has left, though I don't think there's that many.  I'm hoping the ending is something fantastic with all of these idiotic setbacks (i.e. Rumple and family) resolved, though it is difficult to say at this point and I'll just have to keep on watching.

Those were my thoughts exactly.  This is all the more reason that I think this show should definitely end before things get even worse for these characters.  How many times is Rumple going to flip sides and continuously screw up?  He nearly lost Belle for good after his last stunt, and, after achieving the near-impossible and acquiring both his wife AND son back, he's going to side with the enemy and find sympathy for a woman who's honestly just being selfish?  He should still be mad at her for taking away his chance at being a hero; she pretty much sentenced him to a cursed life out of her own selfishness, or at least that's how I'm seeing it.

I'm not sure how many episodes that this season has left, though I don't think there's that many.  I'm hoping the ending is something fantastic with all of these idiotic setbacks (i.e. Rumple and family) resolved, though it is difficult to say at this point and I'll just have to keep on watching.

I agree.

Even if what she did to him could be forgiven by the virtue that her intentions, to protect him, were somewhat right, what about what she did to his son? How could he forgive that?! 

I'm, as well, hoping stupidly that it's not what it seems, that he's planning something else though I can't imagine what good could come out of this. Except perhaps to give the true savior, Emma the victory, but that's far too selfless for Rumple. 

I don't know how much longer the season is either and I don't believe the next episode will be very progressive as it's supposed to be a musical. :P

Edited by Ventus_

Ugh. After that last episode, I'm annoyed as hell with Rumple! 

He's finally getting the family he wanted and he has to pull this shit! What a colossal idiot! 

Well, that's Rumple for ya! A villain at heart, no matter how many chances he's gotten at redemption, ya know? It's the thing that I love to hate and hate to love about his character. He's seriously flawed, but tries to do good, even though the way he goes about things is questionable! I do believe he's sincere in his wishes to protect Belle and Gideon, but if Belle, no, when Belle finds out that Rumple has lied again, I don't know how she's gonna take it! But maybe there's something else at work! All I know is that when he supposedly "killed" the Black Fairy, I was like: "Yeah, no, she's not dead." xD

Well, I really don't know how things are gonna fare now, but yeah, I agree, Rumple's really setting himself up for yet another disaster! And well, to the best of my knowledge, there's this Sunday's Episode and then the Sunday after that, the show ends, if I'm not mistaken, because the finale will be a 2 hour event, I believe.

But yeah, I think that Rumple is gonna have a sour end, or he'll turn out to be playing a trick in the end! At this point, I really don't know! :O

I agree.

Even if what she did to him could be forgiven by the virtue that her intentions, to protect him, were somewhat right, what about what she did to his son? How could he forgive that?! 

I'm, as well, hoping stupidly that it's not what it seems, that he's planning something else though I can't imagine what good could come out of this. Except perhaps to give the true savior, Emma the victory, but that's far too selfless for Rumple. 

I don't know how much longer the season is either and I don't believe the next episode will be very progressive as it's supposed to be a musical. :P

Yeah, it's messed up. And well, you know what they say. Good intentions can be eclipsed by a dark heart. So while her intentions might have been pure, the Black Fairy's own lust for her own power was her undoing, and that sentenced Rumple to the life he's lived, ya know? He takes after his mum! Whatever he does next is anybody's guess!

As for how long it will take for the season to end, like I stated above, this weekend is the musical, and then next weekend is the finale. And I agree about the musical. What kind of rubs me the wrong way is that since last Sunday's Episode ended in a cryptic way, the pacing is gonna be broken by this musical episode, which kinda makes me feel "meh" about the situation. It'll be a good episode, I'm sure, but it's gonna break the pacing abruptly! xD

Well, that's Rumple for ya! A villain at heart, no matter how many chances he's gotten at redemption, ya know?

True but what irked me about this choice was the hypocrisy. He'd obsessed over prevented Gideon from growing up to hate him and when Gideon finds out about this, that's what's gonna happen unless as I said, by some miracle, this is not what it seems. 

So while her intentions might have been pure, the Black Fairy's own lust for her own power was her undoing, and that sentenced Rumple to the life he's lived, ya know?

Absolutely. Tiger Lily told her that she could have spared him his fated death by giving up her own powers but she was greedy.

She still managed to be better than Peter Pan, Rumple's father who looked that innocent little boy in the face and chose Neverland over him: "A child can't have a child". The Black Fairy didn't technically abandon him, she was separated from him by her banishment, granted, of course, she brought her banishment on herself. 

To be honest, I was a bit surprised by this revelation, I'd assumed her abandonment of Rumple was a lot colder based on their first meeting when Rumple summoned her in the Enchanted Forest. 

He takes after his mum!

Indeed. I nearly busted out laughing the first time The Black Fairy added "dearie" to the end of a sentence that addressed another character.

It is said that the bond between a mother and son is sacred and deep which is proven true here by how the Black Fairy managed to rub off on Rumple and her first grandson, Bealfire (recall Bealfire had the exact same idea she did, to save Rumple by taking him to a realm where there was no magic) without having spent a day in their lives. 

this weekend is the musical, and then next weekend is the finale. And I agree about the musical. What kind of rubs me the wrong way is that since last Sunday's Episode ended in a cryptic way, the pacing is gonna be broken by this musical episode--

If this musical episode is the penultimate, then it's downright unwise, a waste of time. The promo doesn't suggest that it's going to continue the Rumple/Black Fairy deception which isn't possible anyway (you can't tell that kinda story with song a dance, not with the right atmosphere). This means the finale is gonna have a lot more than necessary to wrap up because the season can't end on a cliffhanger since it's either the end of the series or the end of the current concept. Please let it be the former. 

Edited by Ventus_

Honestly, only musical episode to have ever succeeded at furthering the season's arc was Buffy's. Every time a show does a musical episode it feels like they are trying to pull a Buffy and it... Tends not to work.

But musical episodes are fun for the songs themselves, so it's not a TOTAL waste.

I found it to be a colossal waste of a television episode and just wrong as a penultimate. 

The idea of singing as a weapon against villains was absurd. The performances were unimpressive, a couple were disjointed, having related to and accomplished nothing and none provided a narrative. I must also point out that for once I did not buy The Evil Queen, the singing diluted if not killed her villainy. 

The one character whom I would have been interested to see have a song number, who'd have made the most sense with one, didn't get one or even an appearance, Belle. Where the hell was she and Gideon when Hook called Rumple in his shop on faking his banishment of The Black Fairy? 

It didn't do a thing to further the ongoing plot. The Hook/Emma wedding could have been done by now or as the final scene in the finale. 

Honestly, only musical episode to have ever succeeded at furthering the season's arc was Buffy's. Every time a show does a musical episode it feels like they are trying to pull a Buffy and it... Tends not to work.

I concur and this isn't the first time OUAT has ripped Buffy off, they did it with Hook's death. 

Edited by Ventus_

So Jennifer Morrison confirmed she's leaving the show, and that the finale is the end of Emma's story. 

Anyone have thoughts on this?

I found it to be a colossal waste of a television episode and just wrong as a penultimate. 

The idea of singing as a weapon against villains was absurd. The performances were unimpressive, a couple were disjointed, having related to and accomplished nothing and none provided a narrative. 

It didn't do a thing to further the ongoing plot. The Hook/Emma wedding could have been done by now or as the final scene in the finale. 

Call me a sap, but I liked the musical episode: only song that seemed like a misstep was Zelena's, but the "Song as a weapon" thing was just a bit over done. It came off as kinda silly to splice into the Black Fairy/Final Battle arc.

The last song seemed good, though, and sort of acted as a send off for the wedding.