Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Tails

Sonic "Project 2017" Title Announced

And yeah, Unleashed was kinda there. The gorgeous cartoon-y art style and over-the-top nature of literally putting the planet back together like a puzzle gave it that Saturday morning cartoon vibe that I think fits Sonic to a T. It still suffers from ancient prophecies about the destruction of all life and the eternal battle between Light and Dark Gaia (and how the taint of evil somehow makes Sonic buff, hairy and spiky for some reason) which I think is super out of place and veers way too hard into JRPG territory. It's certainly not as big an offender as Sonic 06, but I'd still never call it good.

I feel like that's pigeonholing. Why can't we just stick him in any scenario we want as long as its fun? It can be dark and fun at the same time too. Sonic Adventures 1 and 2 were kinda dark, but nobody complains about that. Dark Brotherhood had some dark tones, and that game was highly rated. Since when is doing anything with Sonic considered "going too far" anyway?

You know what's really going too far? Beastiality. Do you see Sonic getting it on with a human girl in these trailers? No? Then chill. xD

I feel like that's pigeonholing. Why can't we just stick him in any scenario we want as long as its fun? It can be dark and fun at the same time too. Sonic Adventures 1 and 2 were kinda dark, but nobody complains about that. Dark Brotherhood had some dark tones, and that game was highly rated. Since when is doing anything with Sonic considered "going too far" anyway?

That's the catch, though. Dark isn't fun if it's taken too seriously, and Sonic games do that way too often. I personally hate SA1's story (and gameplay and graphics and, well, I digress) because it never feels like a fun time. There's lots of bright, colorful levels and upbeat music but the entire story is about the death of the echidna civilization and Chaos killing cops (and eventually every living thing in Station Square) and murdering sentient robots to free their living power sources.

SA2 works better, I feel, because it's so over the top it almost borders on comical. Sonic escapes the military by jumping out of a helicopter, tearing off a metal siding as a makeshift skysurfing board and then uses it to ride the San Francisco streets like a ski slope. That's ridiculous and insane, and the whole game is like that. You're always riding rockets into the sky or outrunning the military on an impossibly twisted freeway or looking for pieces of the Master Emerald in spooky Halloween pumpkin town. It's dark like a Schwarzenegger movie is dark, and that's a very silly sort of dark.

It's not about "going too far", it's about not balancing the fun cartoon aspects (aka, the stuff that people like about Sonic) with the dark or "serious" aspects. That's something I think a lot of Sonic games- like SA1, 06 and Unleashed- just didn't get the hang of.

You know what's really going too far? Beastiality. Do you see Sonic getting it on with a human girl in these trailers? No? Then chill. xD

Fair, though that's a really low benchmark to praise other games for.  >.>

It's not about "going too far", it's about not balancing the fun cartoon aspects (aka, the stuff that people like about Sonic) with the dark or "serious" aspects.

I stand by my earlier statement. Nothing is as edgy as Shadow the Hedgehog anyway and thank goodness it's the only one of its kind.

Fair, though that's a really low benchmark to praise other games for.  >.>

I'm not wrong though.

I stand by my earlier statement. Nothing is as edgy as Shadow the Hedgehog anyway and thank goodness it's the only one of its kind.

"Why should we pigeonhole Sonic games? Also SONIC GAMES SHOULD NEVER BE THIS THING I DON'T LIKE."

I'm not wrong though.

Agreed. Doesn't make it impressive.

"Why should we pigeonhole Sonic games? Also SONIC GAMES SHOULD NEVER BE THIS THING I DON'T LIKE."

It's an exception. And you know what, do not even imply that Shadow the Hedgehog needs defending.

Nobody likes that game unironically, and if there are people like that, I haven't met them and I don't want to.

Nobody likes that game unironically, and if there are people like that, I haven't met them and I don't want to.

*raises hand*

Don't get me wrong, it's not good, and it certainly doesn't deserve defending. But I still get a kick out of it, and how dare you try to pigeonhole my favorite character Shadow the Hedgehog.

Edited by HeyMouseSayCheese

*raises hand*

Don't get me wrong, it's not good, and it certainly doesn't deserve defending. But I still get a kick out of it, and how dare you try to pigeonhole my favorite character Shadow the Hedgehog.

Okay, I apologize. I actually do like Shadow too.

And I was being hyperbolic about the game too, you're right, it's not that bad.

Well, I meant complex in the way that Kingdom Hearts is complex. :P

And yeah, Unleashed was kinda there. The gorgeous cartoon-y art style and over-the-top nature of literally putting the planet back together like a puzzle gave it that Saturday morning cartoon vibe that I think fits Sonic to a T. It still suffers from ancient prophecies about the destruction of all life and the eternal battle between Light and Dark Gaia (and how the taint of evil somehow makes Sonic buff, hairy and spiky for some reason) which I think is super out of place and veers way too hard into JRPG territory. It's certainly not as big an offender as Sonic 06, but I'd still never call it good.

This is also another reason I'm hype for Forces; I'd heard somewhere that I can't recall at the moment that despite the early trailer and gameplay footage, the game's not going to have an overall dark tone. I'd like to imagine it's going to be more of the fun light-hearted adventure aspects of Unleashed and less of the "fighting ancient evil with the forces of pure light" aspect.

to be fair though friend, there's been prophecies in sonic games since sonic 3.

*raises hand*

it's a game to make fun of and i still get my kicks outta it too

to be fair though friend, there's been prophecies in sonic games since sonic 3.

I mean, it's not the prophecies themselves that are the issue, it's that ever since SA1 the games tend to have overly bloated melodramatic stories- a.k.a., not the kind of thing most people know or like Sonic for. The games can have as many ancient prophecies as they want, so long as the story remains lighthearted and fun. Most Sonic games have problems with that.

it's a game to make fun of and i still get my kicks outta it too

Yeah, it's certainly a fun punching bag, but honestly I kind of like a lot of the mechanics that they tried to implement. Differing paths based on level specific missions are a cool idea, and the gun play isn't totally miserable (kind of like a slow clunky Ratchet & Clank). Sadly, it totally fails on most of what it tries to do as a game, and the fact that it was both a "edgy" and serious story is exactly symptomatic of the kind of thing I described above.

Okay, I apologize. I actually do like Shadow too.

And I was being hyperbolic about the game too, you're right, it's not that bad.

Nah, I mean, it kind of is that bad. It's still possible to like shitty things though- some people actually do enjoy Sonic 06, y'know, though virtually always on an ironic level.

A lot of this kind of stuff does come down to taste, too, of course. I have a higher tolerance for dark edgelord-ness than I do for ancient magic, so I'm willing to forgive things like SA2 and Shadow for a lot of their obvious faults (though both games are still seriously lacking in the story department). Some people are the other way around and are cool with SA1 or Unleashed- or, god forbid, 06. I still stand by what I've said about balancing serious and fun, but I need to do a better job remembering that personal opinion is an important factor too.

green hill zone whyyyyyyy

I'm still really nervous about the Classic Sonic stuff. I never really liked any of those levels in Generations and I'm worried I'm gonna have the same problem in Forces. Yet another rehash of Green Hill Zone doesn't exactly assuage my fears either.

(Also really hoping the new character isn't another cat. Never liked Blaze or Big very much, don't need another mediocre feline.)

I'm still really nervous about the Classic Sonic stuff. I never really liked any of those levels in Generations and I'm worried I'm gonna have the same problem in Forces. Yet another rehash of Green Hill Zone doesn't exactly assuage my fears either.

(Also really hoping the new character isn't another cat. Never liked Blaze or Big very much, don't need another mediocre feline.)

OK Big the Cat I can understand. But what was wrong with Blaze that makes her "mediocre" to you? I know this is all your opinion but I'm quite curious to know.

It's Bubsy. And no, I'm not joking when I say this. Just take a look at this tweet, all signs are pointing to his inclusion...

https://twitter.com/RubyEclipse/status/852623343786131456

OK Big the Cat I can understand. But what was wrong with Blaze that makes her "mediocre" to you? I know this is all your opinion but I'm quite curious to know.

I just find her bland. I never like the whole serious no-nonsense character archetype, and her being a princess from another dimension isn't a backstory I really care for. Plus I never played Rush or Rush Adventure, so my only exposure to her is Sonic 06 and Generations, which doesn't exactly leave me with a positive impression.

It's Bubsy. And no, I'm not joking when I say this. Just take a look at this tweet, all signs are pointing to his inclusion...

https://twitter.com/RubyEclipse/status/852623343786131456

If there's anyone I trust with accurate game news, it's Aaron "Sonic Meme King" Webber.  :P

If there's anyone I trust with accurate game news, it's Aaron "Sonic Meme King" Webber.  :P

That's fair enough. But consider this. Bubsy's currently owned by Tommo Inc. They've partnered with Sega before, and their partnership was during September 2013. Sonic Lost World was released in October 2013. 

http://vividgamer.com/2013/09/25/tommo-and-sega-announces-new-retro-line-of-accessories/

This really isn't a coincidence. The dates line up perfectly, the silhouette lines up perfectly, Bubsy is clearly in Sonic Forces, but redesigned to fit the Sonic universe.

That's fair enough. But consider this. Bubsy's currently owned by Tommo Inc. They've partnered with Sega before, and their partnership was during September 2013. Sonic Lost World was released in October 2013. 

http://vividgamer.com/2013/09/25/tommo-and-sega-announces-new-retro-line-of-accessories/

This really isn't a coincidence. The dates line up perfectly, the silhouette lines up perfectly, Bubsy is clearly in Sonic Forces, but redesigned to fit the Sonic universe.

I mean, that does really seem like a coincidence to me. There's no indication that it's Bubsy other than Sega (not Sonic Team, just Sega) making phone accessories four years ago and a vague silhouette. That's hardly proof.

Not saying it ain't Bubsy, it very well could be- Sega does weird shit like that sometimes. There's just not much in the way of evidence for it. (Besides, why would they? No one likes Bubsy. No one. He's got such a terrible reputation; people give Sonic 06 shit all the time and rightfully so, but son of a bitch, Bubsy 3D is the worst 3D platformer ever made and everyone knows it.)

I mean, that does really seem like a coincidence to me. There's no indication that it's Bubsy other than Sega (not Sonic Team, just Sega) making phone accessories four years ago and a vague silhouette. That's hardly proof.

Not saying it ain't Bubsy, it very well could be- Sega does weird shit like that sometimes. There's just not much in the way of evidence for it. (Besides, why would they? No one likes Bubsy. No one. He's got such a terrible reputation; people give Sonic 06 shit all the time and rightfully so, but son of a bitch, Bubsy 3D is the worst 3D platformer ever made and everyone knows it.)

That's proof that you're willing to dismiss. This partnership happens right before the release of Sonic Lost World, Sonic Team works on Sonic Forces straight after Lost World, and the trademark for Bubsy is filing for opposition right now. There's only so many coincidences before it becomes intentional.

Stuff happens behind the scenes with Sega. They acquired the rights to Technosoft's intellectual properties but only revealed it at the Tokyo Game Show last year. In the Famitsu interview, it was stated that the new character was someone "unexpected", as in, we already have awareness of who said character already is.

And let's say Bubsy was officially integrated into the Sonic Universe, it wouldn't even be the Bubsy that we're familiar with. It's be a redesigned Bubsy more along the lines of this... After all, Sega redesigned the Puyo Puyo cast after they acquired said intellectual property from Compile.

__bubsy_forces___by_cylent_nite-db5mqvu.

Edited by Guest

That's proof that you're willing to dismiss. This partnership happens right before the release of Sonic Lost World, Sonic Team works on Sonic Forces straight after Lost World, and the trademark for Bubsy is filing for opposition right now. There's only so many coincidences before it becomes intentional.

Stuff happens behind the scenes with Sega. They acquired the rights to Technosoft's intellectual properties but only revealed it at the Tokyo Game Show last year. In the Famitsu interview, it was stated that the new character was someone "unexpected", as in, we already have awareness of who said character already is.

And let's say Bubsy was officially integrated into the Sonic Universe, it wouldn't even be the Bubsy that we're familiar with. It's be a redesigned Bubsy more along the lines of this... After all, Sega redesigned the Puyo Puyo cast after they acquired said intellectual property from Compile.

The partnership between Sega and Tommo had nothing to do with game development. It was phone cases and bluetooth speakers, and it happened to occur approximately the same time as an unrelated video game was launched by Sega. You're just assuming that because they both are involved with video games that they must be making a game together. That's not proof, that's speculation.

Sega does behind the scenes stuff all the time, yes. So what? Every company does. That doesn't mean anything. You might as well say Bubsy is going to be in Mario Odyssey, because hey, Nintendo does secret stuff all the time, right? And it doesn't matter if it's a "new" Bubsy, the name and character have a reputation. Anyone familiar with Bubsy at all is immediately going to associate him with bad old games. The only publicity Forces would get from including Bubsy as a main character would be bad publicity.

Again, not saying that it's impossible or that it's definitely not Bubsy. Just that there's no compelling reason or evidence for me to think it's going to be, especially since all people are going off of is a tweet from a notorious jokester and a four year old business deal.

Sega does behind the scenes stuff all the time, yes. So what? Every company does. That doesn't mean anything. You might as well say Bubsy is going to be in Mario Odyssey, because hey, Nintendo does secret stuff all the time, right? And it doesn't matter if it's a "new" Bubsy, the name and character have a reputation. Anyone familiar with Bubsy at all is immediately going to associate him with bad old games. The only publicity Forces would get from including Bubsy as a main character would be bad publicity.

But with Mario Odyssey, there is no Bubsy silhouette so that's not even a fair comparison. This trailer showed a character silhouette similar to Bubsy hence the comparison. There's no denying that the initial publicity would be mixed if this turns out to be true, but it would be a re-designed Bubsy anyway so that negative reaction would go away once the unique traits of a hypothetical Sonic Team Bubsy come into play.

I'll take my L if it turns out to be an original character, or a "customisable character", but my money's on Bubsy.

There's no denying that the initial publicity would be mixed if this turns out to be true, but it would be a re-designed Bubsy anyway so that negative reaction would go away once the unique traits of a hypothetical Sonic Team Bubsy come into play.

Would it? People already hate Sonic for having a ton of different side characters- why would adding a new one with an awful pedigree be any better? No one likes Bubsy now, so what would change about him being in a Sonic game?

I'll take my L if it turns out to be an original character, or a "customisable character", but my money's on Bubsy.

See, customizable characters sound like the coolest and smartest idea in this case. Bubsy, eh, not so cool/smart. Same thing here, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I'll accept it. I just reeeeally don't think I'm wrong. 

Called it. Its not even worth the $40 priceline even.

Yeah I have to agree. Especially with how short both the levels and the full game is. I would definitely recommend people to wait on a price drop on the game.

Edited by Tails