Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
catmaster0116

Breath of the Wild - New Era of Zelda games [Potential Spoilers]

Okay guys I own not the WiiU or the Switch, but I've been a Zelda fan and played most of the games except for BotW and Skyward Sword since I don't own the consoles. But I watched the entire playthrough on youtube.

I think many of you will notice that the traditional Zelda formula is changing and Breath of the Wild took a huge leap in that direction.

Simple things like: (in spoilers because there are potential plot spoilers)

Changes to the gameplay and composition

• Getting heart containers from defeating a given dungeon boss
  • Completing Dungeons in a predetermined order
  • Have 'friend' characters who provide you with 'hints' (Midna/Fi/Navi)
  • The ability to cook and manufacture a variety of heart replenishing foods
  • You can temporary have more hearts than your maximum heart meter with certain types of foods
  • LINK CAN CHANGE CLOTHES!!
  • I just had to mention it but the composers for Breath of the Wild and its style of music are completely different from the traditional music composers and melodies from the previous Zelda Games. Koji Kondo and Toru Minegishi did not compose for Breath of the Wild and they are considered to be the 'icons of Zelda music' much like how 'Shimomura' is identified to be the signature composer for 'Kingdom Hearts' games. I won't say that I was a big fan of BotW music (I love piano music make no mistake) but I did not feel the surge of amazement like I did with the soundtracks of previous Zelda games. Nonetheless it was an 'interesting take' on the music of the series.
  • I think Nintendo decided to outsource heaps for Breath of the Wild because its gameplay mechanics and layout is unlike any of the previous Zelda games.
  • AND VOICE ACTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMGGGGGGGGGGGG BEST THING EVER TO HAPPEN TO ZELDA GAME!

Changes to the story and characters

• No longer following a single linear plot
  • The character 'Princess Zelda' in Breath of the Wild appears to almost curse her own fate and resents her destiny as the princess is linked to the power of ancient light. Very unlike the previous Princess Zeldas who appeared as ethereal, kind-hearted and regal princesses whom were wholeheartedly devoted to her kingdom and cause. (minus the Skyward Sword Zelda...but even then she also acts very 'Zelda'-ish unlike the Breath of the Wild Zelda)
  • Link no longer is identified as the person dressed in the green garb.
  • It almost feels as if Link had to 'force' the master sword out of the pedestal rather than draw it out by showing his courage. The medallions/spiritual stones/3 items that show proof of the hero are no longer necessary as a prerequisite to draw the Master Sword
  • Elements and plot related events from Windwaker, Ocarina of time and Twilight princess are mentioned in Breath of the wild. (Possibly supporting the time convergence hypothesis)
  • Its implied in the game that Ganon may be gone once and forever. Zelda herself states

Calamity Ganon is the form taken because Ganon has given up on reincarnating into his various 'Ganondorf' forms an so chose to take on the appearance of the Calamity Ganon

• The Triforce pieces are no longer bound to the hero, the princess and Ganon.

What this might mean?

• Future plots might not include Ganon anymore. The Master sword may serve a new purpose now that Ganon is gone. Traditionally the Master sword has been linked to being the only sword that can defeat Demise and Ganon. With Ganon gone there might be a new villain.
  • Zelda might take on a new 'Legend'

Food for thought:

• How did Zelda acquire all 3 Triforce pieces at the end of Breath of the Wild? Did she absorb them by bathing in the Spring??

• How come the Triforce was not at all mentioned in the game until the ending where it is SHOWN but not discussed

Edited by catmaster0116