Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Dave

What is Art?

Fun thought exercise for the day: what is art, to you? What defines art? What is the spectrum between high art and low art? Is it enough to stimulate the senses and emotions of the beholder, or do you need to engage people on an intellectual level at the same time? Does the intention of the artist matter as much as what the consumer takes away from it?

No right or wrong answers. Discuss away.

To me, art is irreducible. You can't explain it by its parts, it's always more that the sum of its parts.

And if we expand the doctrine "the author is dead" to any art, not just text, then I can say that any art is art when it is experienced, and one can't decide what other people consider to be art.

Art is an expression of emotions in the purest form, it is how you channel your creativity. Art can be channelled and expressed in many different ways: cooking, drawing, music, painting, sculpting, writing, acting (or any part of film making). I'll go as far as to say scientists, and mathematicians are artists in a sense, they create beautiful equations that express the true nature of the universe. 

Equations_Featured_Image.jpg?fit=600%2C2

Cooking is another art form that some ignore, anyone can pour their heart and soul into making the finest dish for their friends and family. The pinnacle of art in my opinion is video games because of the fact they involve several different types of art. Games involve character designers, scenario writers, creative artists, composers and programmers (using mathematics and physics).

If I said high art is anything that can evoke an emotional response out of me then everything would be high art.

Every work of art has some message the artist wants to get across, but the difficult part is how the artist does that. High art succeeds in getting the point across, low art does not. You could have the most horrendous manga or game or drawing in the history of the universe, but if I know why you did what you did and what you wanted me to feel-then you've succeeded in something. If I read all 500 pages of your book just to get to the end and say 'Wow, what was the point in that?' then I don't believe your art is clear enough.

However, not every game, manga, drawing or art form has to have some super complex meaning behind it. Simplistic art can be much more effective at times.

In my own personal scale, a work of art is the highest level anything can take with a masterpiece being the second highest level. I'll have to consider what works of film, game and literature I think are art since I haven't given it much thought. There are a few pieces of art and artists that blow my mind however.

final_getsuga_tenshou_by_mariuskyon-d2yt

And anything from Berserk and by Yoshitaka Amano.

I'm going to go with Dreamworks "Home" on this one and say that art isn't necessarily all looks but it makes you feel something. To describe it my way it would be that art is a form of expressing emotion and creativity, if it requires work, passion, design, and or the making of a product then I would consider it art.

Ah, what an interesting question, Master Dave! Hmm, a very interesting question indeed!

Well, if I had to put it in my own words, art is a form of expression, a way for oneself to channel the depths of our soul externally, to allow the world to see how we think and feel.  Art is something that can be morphed into a countless array of things, and even if it's the smallest detail, as long as you give your heart to it, it has significance, a sense of being, if you will!  Art is a muse, and it allows you to see the world in different perspectives! A world of beauty...a world of horror, a world of wonderment! There's many ways one can interpret the world, and one of those means of interpretation is through art, be it in drawings, books, video games, what have you! I say that the mark of man on this earth is the way he shares his thoughts with the world at large!

Art is a beautiful mystery, an enigma waiting to be revealed! It's always in the depths of our mind, and it's up to us to unleash our creative spark and put our hearts into the essence we call art! Our thoughts made manifest! :)

For me art is a depiction of telling a story in all types of forms and when I say tell a story I mean that you simply just showcase something that speaks talent, interest, patience, passion, happiness, sadness, pride, relations with your people and so much more. I believe that we all have something about ourselves that defines art. Our emotions, memories, interests, our struggles and wins. 

Working as an artist you face a lot of criticism non stop which yes can be a good thing to help you improve but it can also damage your creativity and force you into making something that is perfection. You can be an artist in simply anything that really helps you embrace who you are and defines your strengths. 

But you know art works in so many different ways that you really can't describe how it works, it just does.